WP-L-Digest 2004/06/23 #945

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:12:54 -0400
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: extra
      space printed after bolded words

      Steve -
      Duhhh, in my retarded momentS, forgot that I too experienced the 'Bold
      Gap' issue several years and generations of equipment ago. Somehow it
      vanished along with other hardly missed gremlins as the OS and related
      applications evolved. I can not tell you what font was involved, but
      believe it occurred when using an old Laserwriter II with the default
      Geneva of the day. Currently using a LW 16/600 printer with the
      default font set at something other than Geneva on ALL of my
      applications, Classic and OS X. When monitor resolution was an issue
      in the early days of the Mac, Geneva became a pragmatic standard which
      was K-I-S-S because it provided WYSIWYG for the monitor and early dot
      matrix printers. Certainly the resolution of your PowerBook screen
      does not require Geneva. I switched to other fonts several years ago
      (typically Arial) because the spacing issues built into Geneva almost
      always bloated a one page letter in most other fonts into two pages -
      - - irrespective of Bold. All this exchange has jogged my retarded
      memory.

      Bottom line: Geneva is simple and readable, a good choice in the early
      days of the tiny monitor of the original Macintosh. Today, with the
      plethora of wonderful font choices, believe you can find a font which
      provides full choices of size and conspicuity surpassing the original
      Geneva font. Apple has provided a whole new family of fonts and
      management with OS X, a professional's dream which goes largely
      unrecognized.

      Don't know this for a fact, but this thread makes me believe that
      nobody bothered to upgrade the old Geneva font files to be fully
      optimized for today's high resolution monitors and printers. Your
      problems probably reflect a time warp as much as a space warp. Unless
      you are still pushing your old dot matrix ImageWriter, it is time to
      switch!!

      Hope this helps to bring your quest to fruition. Fully understand and
      admire that your search for understanding was more difficult than
      resetting the default font. Might also add one working habit I have
      midst this issue. A key reason I use Arial is availability of 'Arial
      Narrow' in the family. Arial Narrow can strain my aging eyes at 12pts
      on the monitor, but is one of the most readable fonts when printed at
      this size with a laserprinter. The size and spacing is just perfect
      when one is trying not to break the 'one side of one piece of paper'
      rule to retain attention in correspondence. When writing the document,
      I either use 14pt or regular Arial to avoid eyestrain.

      Regards,
      Bill

      On Jun 22, 2004, at 7:21 PM, Steve Kane wrote:

      > Further testing:
      > Spacing problem with bold characters when printing occurs with Geneva
      > (fresh copy from Mac OS 9.2 cd) and New York (which I never use
      > anyway) but not with Arial, Times or Times New Roman (all I tested so
      > far).
      >
      > Bill, thanks for encouraging me to make more tests.
      >
      > On Jun 22, 2004, at 9:07 AM, whunter wrote:
      >
      >> Another thought:
      >> - it is a corrupt font file (not unusual); hypothesize you have
      >> same corrupted file on both machines from transfer of OS, etc.
      >> - could invest in 'Font Doctor', but expensive
      >> - file is in the Font file in the Classic / OS 9 System, thus you
      >> can easily find.
      >> - you must have an old Mac OS 9 install disk around with this file.
      >> Open and replace the existing Geneva in the Font folder. I can send
      >> you mine off list if needed.
      >>
      >> On Jun 22, 2004, at 9:39 AM, Steve Kane wrote:
      >>
      >>> Since the spacing problem shows up when printing under Classic from
      >>> two different applications from two different Macs running either
      >>> 10.3.4 or 10.3.3 I don't imagine the Geneva font on both Macs is
      >>> corrupt but I guess they might be. Where can I get a new clean
      >>> up-to-date copy of Geneva to test?

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:19:29 -0400
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: font
      changing macro needed

      Steve -
      I'll think about this some more, but you should be able to use the Mac
      OS features in either 9 or X to accomplish in a simple manner. With
      the word processor open, use 'Open' under File. Just highlight a large
      collection of documents or folder and click on Open. Once open, you
      can do a 'Select All', change the font and then a global close. At the
      same time, just change the default font on your applications and
      printer.
      Best,
      Bill

      On Jun 22, 2004, at 7:55 PM, Steve Kane wrote:

      > I need a WP macro that will change instances of Geneva in a document
      > to Arial and instances of New York to Times (or Times New Roman,
      > whichever is the one folks use these days).
      >
      > The macro needs to run automatically without dialogs whenever a
      > document is opened (by drag and drop or double click or via the Open
      > Dialog). If a document contains no instances of Geneva or New York the
      > macro would do nothing.
      >
      > I'll gladly pay a small agreed upon fee as a gesture of appreciation
      > (say in the shareware range) for such a macro. I'd be grateful if it
      > contained a few comments so I could understand what it is doing in
      > case I need to add another font change. Oh, and what to name it and
      > where to install it (I assume it would go in the WP library).
      >
      > Anyone willing, please post here or to me.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > My wife has gotten fed up with the printing problem that we get when a
      > Geneva character is made bold. She has many old WP documents that she
      > revisits, almost all in Geneva. Meanwhile I'll change the default font
      > for new documents to Arial.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:38:35 -0500
      From: Steve Kane <skane [email address protected]Subject: Re: font
      changing macro needed

      Bill, thanks for the suggestion. My wife has probably thousands of old
      WP files in hundreds of nested folders scattered all over her hard
      drive (well ok, scattered throughout her Mac OS X User Documents and
      Desktop folders). She frequently revisits and reuses these documents or
      portions.

      An automatic macro that just runs transparently whenever she opens a WP
      document would be preferable in this case.

      (I'm just giddy about the day when I finally switch us both to a new
      Mac OS X word processor and I have use MacLinkPlus Deluxe or something
      to convert thousands of WP files in situ on both our Macs, to the new
      format or worse, some intermediate format. I mean what are the chances
      that a new Cocoa word processor will open WP files?) ;-)

      On Jun 22, 2004, at 7:19 PM, whunter wrote:

      > Steve -
      > I'll think about this some more, but you should be able to use the Mac
      > OS features in either 9 or X to accomplish in a simple manner. With
      > the word processor open, use 'Open' under File. Just highlight a
      > large collection of documents or folder and click on Open. Once open,
      > you can do a 'Select All', change the font and then a global close.
      > At the same time, just change the default font on your applications
      > and printer.
      > Best,
      > Bill
      >
      > On Jun 22, 2004, at 7:55 PM, Steve Kane wrote:
      >
      >> I need a WP macro that will change instances of Geneva in a document
      >> to Arial and instances of New York to Times (or Times New Roman,
      >> whichever is the one folks use these days).
      >>
      >> The macro needs to run automatically without dialogs whenever a
      >> document is opened (by drag and drop or double click or via the Open
      >> Dialog). If a document contains no instances of Geneva or New York
      >> the macro would do nothing.
      >>
      >> I'll gladly pay a small agreed upon fee as a gesture of appreciation
      >> (say in the shareware range) for such a macro. I'd be grateful if it
      >> contained a few comments so I could understand what it is doing in
      >> case I need to add another font change. Oh, and what to name it and
      >> where to install it (I assume it would go in the WP library).
      >>
      >> Anyone willing, please post here or to me.
      >>
      >> Thanks.
      >>
      >> My wife has gotten fed up with the printing problem that we get when
      >> a Geneva character is made bold. She has many old WP documents that
      >> she revisits, almost all in Geneva. Meanwhile I'll change the default
      >> font for new documents to Arial.

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:14:03 -0400
      From: Smokey Ardisson <alqahira [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      extra space printed after bolded words

      At 7:56 PM -0400 6/22/04, WP-L reported that Steve Kane wrote:

      >Spacing problem with bold characters when printing occurs with Geneva
      >(fresh copy from Mac OS 9.2 cd) and New York (which I never use anyway)
      >but not with Arial, Times or Times New Roman (all I tested so far).

      I'd been skimming this thread via digest, and just now you made a
      point that grabbed me: Geneva doesn't have a true bold version like
      other fonts. Old-style Mac apps (and I think Carbon ones in X, too)
      can simulate bold and italics, but Cocoa (and Adobe) apps insist on
      using only true bold and italic fonts. I'm guessing New York also
      doesn't have a true bold font.

      I'm guessing now that Classic (i.e., part of X) is involved in the
      printing situation (and X generally with its stricter rules), this
      has shown up, although I don't use Geneva for anything other than
      Stickies (and occasionally in TextEdit, where I noticed the lack of
      ability to bold) so I really don't have much chance to view. I just
      printed out some text from WP 3.5.4 in Geneva 10 and 12 bold to an HP
      LJ1300 and the text doesn't seem to have big spaces, though perhaps
      slightly wider than they appear on screen....

      Not that this helps with your problem, unfortunately, but I think the
      lack of a true bold is the real root cause....

      Smokey
      --
      Smokey Ardisson
      Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:41:04 +0100
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Re: font changing macro needed

      Steve

      3.5 came with a Search Replace Font/Size macro for free.

      Geoff

      >I need a WP macro that will change instances of Geneva in a document
      >to Arial and instances of New York to Times (or Times New Roman,
      >whichever is the one folks use these days).
      >
      >The macro needs to run automatically without dialogs whenever a
      >document is opened (by drag and drop or double click or via the Open
      >Dialog). If a document contains no instances of Geneva or New York
      >the macro would do nothing.
      >
      >I'll gladly pay a small agreed upon fee as a gesture of appreciation
      >(say in the shareware range) for such a macro. I'd be grateful if it
      >contained a few comments so I could understand what it is doing in
      >case I need to add another font change. Oh, and what to name it and
      >where to install it (I assume it would go in the WP library).
      >
      >Anyone willing, please post here or to me.
      >
      >Thanks.
      >
      >My wife has gotten fed up with the printing problem that we get when
      >a Geneva character is made bold. She has many old WP documents that
      >she revisits, almost all in Geneva. Meanwhile I'll change the
      >default font for new documents to Arial.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 06:18:39 -0500
      From: Steve Kane <skane [email address protected]Subject: Re: font
      changing macro needed

      Geoff,

      Thanks, I found that macro and I'll run it on documents we are
      currently using. I don't know the WP macro language so I am not capable
      of modifying it to run "behind the scenes" when a document is opened
      with the font changes hardwired.

      Steve

      On Jun 23, 2004, at 1:41 AM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

      > Steve
      >
      > 3.5 came with a Search Replace Font/Size macro for free.
      >
      > Geoff
      >
      >> I need a WP macro that will change instances of Geneva in a document
      >> to Arial and instances of New York to Times (or Times New Roman,
      >> whichever is the one folks use these days).
      >>
      >> The macro needs to run automatically without dialogs whenever a
      >> document is opened (by drag and drop or double click or via the Open
      >> Dialog). If a document contains no instances of Geneva or New York
      >> the macro would do nothing.
      >>
      >> I'll gladly pay a small agreed upon fee as a gesture of appreciation
      >> (say in the shareware range) for such a macro. I'd be grateful if it
      >> contained a few comments so I could understand what it is doing in
      >> case I need to add another font change. Oh, and what to name it and
      >> where to install it (I assume it would go in the WP library).
      >>
      >> Anyone willing, please post here or to me.
      >>
      >> Thanks.
      >>
      >> My wife has gotten fed up with the printing problem that we get when
      >> a Geneva character is made bold. She has many old WP documents that
      >> she revisits, almost all in Geneva. Meanwhile I'll change the default
      >> font for new documents to Arial.

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:53:39 +0100
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>

      Steve

      if you change the Document Style default font, as you open a file it
      should change unless you have specific styles already applied. I
      never use styles and used this method to convert from Times to Times
      New Roman. However, I think John Rethorst cautions against editing
      the Document Style.

      Geoff

      >Geoff,
      >
      >Thanks, I found that macro and I'll run it on documents we are
      >currently using. I don't know the WP macro language so I am not
      >capable of modifying it to run "behind the scenes" when a document
      >is opened with the font changes hardwired.
      >
      >Steve
      >
      >On Jun 23, 2004, at 1:41 AM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
      >
      >>Steve
      >>
      >>3.5 came with a Search Replace Font/Size macro for free.
      >>
      >>Geoff
      >>
      >>>I need a WP macro that will change instances of Geneva in a
      >>>document to Arial and instances of New York to Times (or Times New
      >>>Roman, whichever is the one folks use these days).
      >>>
      >>>The macro needs to run automatically without dialogs whenever a
      >>>document is opened (by drag and drop or double click or via the
      >>>Open Dialog). If a document contains no instances of Geneva or New
      >>>York the macro would do nothing.
      >>>
      >>>I'll gladly pay a small agreed upon fee as a gesture of
      >>>appreciation (say in the shareware range) for such a macro. I'd be
      >>>grateful if it contained a few comments so I could understand what
      >>>it is doing in case I need to add another font change. Oh, and
      >>>what to name it and where to install it (I assume it would go in
      >>>the WP library).
      >>>
      >>>Anyone willing, please post here or to me.
      >>>
      >>>Thanks.
      >>>
      >>>My wife has gotten fed up with the printing problem that we get
      >>>when a Geneva character is made bold. She has many old WP
      >>>documents that she revisits, almost all in Geneva. Meanwhile I'll
      >>>change the default font for new documents to Arial.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:54:50 -0400
      From: John Kaufmann <kaufmann [email address protected]Subject: Can
      "Type Var" (macro command) work inside Header/Footer?

      Eudora is a great mail client with a conspicuous weakness: You can't
      simply print the contents of a mailbox. Trying to address this via
      AppleScript and WP macro, I ran into an apparently irreconcilable
      little glitch.

      After transferring control to the WP macro, I would like to customize
      page Header A with the Mailbox name (as well as the column headings).
      That means writing a text variable in the Header, which I do with
      Type Var(<variable>). But when I try to do that, WP objects:

      > Macro Terminated: This command not valid here.

      If Type Var() is "not valid" there [and why not?], is there another
      way to insert text variables in Headers and Footers?

      - John