WP-L-Digest 2004/06/16 #943

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:43:50 -0600
      From: Paul M <malin [email address protected]Subject: Re: Mellel?

      Geoff,

      I may be wrong (I haven't paid very close attention). I think cross
      referencing is missing but planned for future inclusion; I'm not sure
      when, but as I said before, the pace of development is fairly speedy.

      Paul M.

      On Jun 12, 2004, at 12:07 AM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

      > OK, I was intrigued by a couple of references to Mellel being designed
      > for scholarly works, so I downloaded it along with the full Mellel
      > Guide. As far as I can see (and I admit to less than an hour trying it
      > out), it can't do cross-referenced footnotes, that is, "See Jones,
      > above at note?", where "?" can be generated into a number when the
      > piece is finished. At present WP satisfies all my writing needs, but
      > it's a pain that when I save it as Word 6 for exporting to publishers,
      > the cross-referenced numbers are lost and have to be inserted
      > manually. Am I missing something in Mellel (I hope so, because it
      > appeared to be very elegant).

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:41:47 -0700
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]org>
      Subject: How can I export Tables AS Tables? (2nd Try)

      How can I export Tables AS Tables?

      They always seem to get turned into Tab hell or "Graphic" inserts.

      Thanks!

      Hal

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:42:59 -0700
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]org>
      Subject: Where & How do I get the "Change to Smart Quotes" Macro?

      This is my 2nd attempt to post this message!

      Where & How do I get the "Change to Smart Quotes" Macro?

      I moving to Mac X I seem to have lost all my cherished Macros.

      AGAIN...

      ....Never give up - someday Wordperfect will be Mac OS X Native.

      : )

      Hal

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:22:22 -0600
      From: Paul M <malin [email address protected]Subject: Re: Where & How
      do I get the "Change to Smart Quotes" Macro?

      I have sent the macro to Harald off-list.

      Paul M.

      On Jun 12, 2004, at 8:42 AM, Harald Sundt wrote:

      > This is my 2nd attempt to post this message!
      >
      > Where & How do I get the "Change to Smart Quotes" Macro?

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:35:27 +0100
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Re: How can I export Tables AS Tables? (2nd Try)

      Hal

      From WP to what? Word? I use the built-in Save As "Word" facility.
      Even different types of border translated smoothly. MacLinkPlus 14
      also works.

      Geoff

      >How can I export Tables AS Tables?
      >
      >They always seem to get turned into Tab hell or "Graphic" inserts.
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >Hal

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:17:17 -0700
      From: Randy B. Singer <randy [email address protected]Subject: WP/Mac
      and RAM

      It's interesting to note that if you use WordPerfect/Mac under Classic
      in
      OS X, that no matter how large a memory partition you set for WP/Mac, at
      most it will only be given 128MB of RAM, and it will probably get a lot
      less, because it has to share that limited amount of RAM with the
      Finder:

      So, if you notice strange behavior when using WP/Mac under OS X, think
      about the size of the document that you are working on, and any other
      factors that might be causing you to be running out of memory.

      Randy B. Singer

      How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
      http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:34:04 +0200
      From: "Robert J. Widenmann" <maribob [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Where & How do I get the "Change to Smart Quotes" Macro?

      Another possibility is the button available in Edit (at the end of a
      button bar) > Formatting. Just move the button sith the quote marks
      to the bar and you can use it to change to and from smart quotes,
      either individually or en masse.

      Bob

      >I have sent the macro to Harald off-list.
      >
      >Paul M.
      >
      >On Jun 12, 2004, at 8:42 AM, Harald Sundt wrote:
      >
      >>This is my 2nd attempt to post this message!
      >>
      >>Where & How do I get the "Change to Smart Quotes" Macro?

      Robert J. Widenmann

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8

      Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:52:10 -0500
      From: Luke F. Kittell <treehouse1 [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Wordperfect files ---> No Table or Font conversion?

      I used the SAVE AS to export the table as HTML (a web page) for a test
      table of 3 x 3. That worked fine.

      Would HTML fit your needs ?

      On May 19, 2004, at 12:33 PM, Harald Sundt wrote:

      > RE: Wordperfect files ---> No Table support?
      >
      > I do Tables in WorldPerfect 3.5e
      > I use special Fonts (In Mac OS Xs FontBook)
      >
      > YET neither make it across "save as RTF or Doc
      > or make it across MacLink + 14
      >
      > What to do...?

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:51:15 -0700
      From: James ARTHURS <jarthurs [email address protected]Subject: PDF
      failure

      I need help with this and will appreciate any helpful comment.

      The following message appears each time I try and Print to PDF
      from a WordPerfect file:
      %%[ Error:invalidaccess;OffendingCommand:def ]%%

      Stack:
      -dict-
      /wpdir_dict
      /Courier

      %%[ Flushing:rest of job (to end-of-file)will be ignored =
      ]%%

      It's a new phenomenon (had no problems before=85then bang!) and is
      more than frustrating. Clearly, I cannot print via OS X, since WP is
      ineffective in X, but, in Classic, the above is what I get each time.

      Might it help if I used Sys 9 on another machine?

      [Using a fast G4 + loads of RAM + OS X + HP Photo 1000 printer (with
      which I am, generally, very pleased) + Adobe Acrobat 5 +, of course,
      WordPerfect 3.5e.]=

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:00:33 -0500
      From: Steve Kane <skane [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Wordperfect files ---> No Table or Font conversion?

      On May 19, 2004, at 12:33 PM, Harald Sundt wrote:

      > RE: Wordperfect files ---> No Table support?
      >
      > I do Tables in WorldPerfect 3.5e
      > I use special Fonts (In Mac OS Xs FontBook)
      >
      > YET neither make it across "save as RTF or Doc
      > or make it across MacLink + 14
      >
      > What to do...?

      Are you saying that if you create a table in a WP35 document and then
      export that document as rtf that when the rtf document is opened in
      another wordprocessor the table formatting does not appear?

      WordPerfect does save the table information in its rtf export, but most
      Mac OS X programs rely on the rtf translation built into Mac OS X which
      does not recognize the table formatting information within an rtf
      document. (maybe 10.4?)

      I've discovered that Mellel will import rtf docs from WP35 preserving
      tables as Mellel uses its own rtf translator. NeoOffice/J does a pretty
      good job too. Nisus Express ignores the table formatting information
      and I don't know what Mariner Write does because my demo has expired
      and I can't trick it into running anymore. I don't have MS Word to
      test.

      From my informal texts I believe that WP35 does a better job at saving
      as rtf than MacLinkPlus Deluxe does at translating WP35 docs to rtf.

      In which application do you wish to be able to open these files?

      HTH

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:23:29 -0400
      From: Sam Schlegel <waterfolk [email address protected]Subject: Re: PDF
      failure

      James,

      Since the message indicates that a Postscript error has occurred in
      writing the PDF file, there may be a problem with the PrintToPDF
      preferences or the application itself may have become corrupted. Does
      this only occur when you try to print a PDF file from WP or it happen
      when you use PrintToPDF with any other program? This would tell you
      whether it is a problem with your installation of P2P or WP.

      If it is a P2P problem, I would suggest that you first trash the
      preference file and then try to print a document. If this doesn't work,
      reinstall P2P. If either of these fail, try printing a document that
      doesn't use the Courier font, since fonts can get corrupted and really
      mess up otherwise simple processes.

      HTH.

      - Sam

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 13
      Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:57:02 +0100
      From: Hillman Paul D Civ AFRL/DES <paul.hillman [email address
      protected]mil>
      Subject: RE: wp-l-digest - Number 942

      This is mostly for Geoff

      >He stated:
      >At present WP satisfies all my writing needs,
      >but it's a pain that when I save it as Word 6 for exporting to
      >publishers, the cross-referenced numbers are lost and have to be
      >inserted manually.

      I highly suggest converting the WP file to a PDF, then the cross
      reference
      numbers won't be lost. I think there are some apps that can convert
      PDF to
      word, but then its just formated text with no links, references etc.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 14
      Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:27:10 -0700
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]org>
      Subject: Distinguishing WP's vs MacLink in "processing RTFs" and such?

      Okay,

      I see that saving as RTF is "inconsistent" as wither other apps
      "recognize" Tables.

      HTML is a great suggestion. I'll try it.

      But since I've paid for Mellel and use it for Hebrew and Tibetan I
      will maybe try migrating some stuff to Mellel VIA either MacLinkPlus
      convert WPD or "save as RTF" options. Any insight on distinguishing
      WP's vs MacLink in "processing RTFs and such?

      The trouble with Mellel verses AbiWord or Star Office is I'm looking
      for WORDPERFECT'S WONDERFUL CROSS PLATFORM ABILITY...

      By the way 0 Thank you group for being a great and sustaining group.

      May WordPerfect dumbfound us all and be re-incarnated on Mac OS X!

      Hal

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 15
      Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:28:48 -0700
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]org>
      Subject: Re: Wordperfect files --->Mellel, AbiWord, Star Office
      interoperability

      Since I've paid for Mellel and use it for Hebrew and Tibetan I will
      maybe try migrating some stuff to Mellel VIA either MacLinkPlus
      convert WPD or "save as RTF" options. Any insight on distinguishing
      WP's vs MacLink in "processing RTFs and such?

      The trouble with Mellel verses AbiWord or Star Office is I'm looking
      for WORDPERFECT'S WONDERFUL CROSS PLATFORM ABILITY... So what's the
      CURRENT score on WordPerfect to--->Mellel, AbiWord, or Star Office
      interoperability

      By the way, Thank you group for being a great and sustaining group.

      May WordPerfect dumbfound us all and be re-incarnated on Mac OS X!

      Hal

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 16
      Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:35:36 -0500
      From: Madwen <madwen [email address protected]Subject: Re:

      On Jun 14, 2004, at 1:27 PM, Harald Sundt wrote:

      > May WordPerfect dumbfound us all and be re-incarnated on Mac OS X!

      A wonderful thought. :) I am currently trying out Mellel. Not at all
      bad in isolation but I have no experience yet with cross-platform. And
      it does not yet have macros.

      Madeleine

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 17
      Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:13:04 -0400
      From: Jim Perley <jimperley [email address protected]Subject: new
      question

      I am changing e-mail addresses and have tried to subscribe to
      WP-L [email address protected]There is a place on that page for WP for
      the Mac but
      when I try to subscribe by clicking on the appropriate icon, it tells
      me that the item no longer exists.

      How do I change my subscription to this list? It still does exist
      since I get the messages regularly.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 18
      Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:36:19 -0500
      From: Madwen <madwen [email address protected]Subject: Re: new question

      On Jun 14, 2004, at 6:13 PM, Jim Perley wrote:

      > I am changing e-mail addresses and have tried to subscribe to
      > WP-L [email address protected]There is a place on that page for WP
      for the Mac but
      > when I try to subscribe by clicking on the appropriate icon, it tells
      > me that the item no longer exists.
      >
      > How do I change my subscription to this list? It still does exist
      > since I get the messages regularly.

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      Go here:
      <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>

      Select WP-L under the "list" option, select "unsubscribe" for your old
      address and then select Subscribe to insert your new address, enjoy the
      nice toccatta for an minute and you're all done. :)

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 19
      Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:42:58 -0500
      From: Luke <treehouse1 [email address protected]Subject: Re: new
      question

      This page, Jim ?

      http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html

      On Jun 14, 2004, at 6:13 PM, Jim Perley wrote:

      > I am changing e-mail addresses and have tried to subscribe to
      > WP-L [email address protected]There is a place on that page for WP
      for the Mac but
      > when I try to subscribe by clicking on the appropriate icon, it tells
      > me that the item no longer exists.
      >
      > How do I change my subscription to this list? It still does exist
      > since I get the messages regularly.

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 20
      Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:29:58 -0400
      From: Rick Albright <logres [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Mellel?

      Mellel's developers *are* responsive. I emailed them to report a minor
      glitch with the way endnotes were sometimes getting squeezed together
      or some other printing anomaly, and they had a new version posted
      within days. Of course, I realize that not all issues are this easy to
      fix, but it is pretty encouraging. Mellel hasn't replaced WP for me,
      and probably won't anytime soon. But it shows a good deal of promise,
      and their emphasis on academic word processing is something this user,
      at least, is optimistic about.
      Rick Albright

      On Jun 12, 2004, at 2:43 AM, Paul M wrote:

      > Geoff,
      >
      > I may be wrong (I haven't paid very close attention). I think cross
      > referencing is missing but planned for future inclusion; I'm not sure
      > when, but as I said before, the pace of development is fairly speedy.
      >
      > Paul M.
      >
      > On Jun 12, 2004, at 12:07 AM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
      >
      >> OK, I was intrigued by a couple of references to Mellel being
      >> designed for scholarly works, so I downloaded it along with the full
      >> Mellel Guide. As far as I can see (and I admit to less than an hour
      >> trying it out), it can't do cross-referenced footnotes, that is, "See
      >> Jones, above at note?", where "?" can be generated into a number when
      >> the piece is finished. At present WP satisfies all my writing needs,
      >> but it's a pain that when I save it as Word 6 for exporting to
      >> publishers, the cross-referenced numbers are lost and have to be
      >> inserted manually. Am I missing something in Mellel (I hope so,
      >> because it appeared to be very elegant).

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      Message Number: 21
      Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 06:37:59 +0100
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Re: Mellel?

      Maybe. Let's hold our collective breath. Now if they could only
      include Reveal Codes and allow total keyboard remapping of all
      commands, macros, etc. ....

      Geoff