WP-L-Digest 2004/06/11 #942

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:42:47 -0700
      From: Randy B. Singer <randy [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word
      and WordPerfect

      Matthew Cope said:

      >Now, if someone could tell me how to stop Word from doing its fits of
      >"Unexpected Quits"

      Usually that is caused by a slightly corrupted font, usually an OS 9
      font
      in the OS 9 fonts folder. Usually this same font will work perfectly
      when booted into OS 9 (assuming that your machine can do that.)

      The expensive, but easy, way to fix it is with FontAgent Pro. The
      harder
      way is to replace all of your OS 9 fonts with fresh copies.

      Also see:

      http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html
      Item #22

      Check these two folders for for the Times RO font:

      /Library/Fonts/
      ~/Library/Fonts/

      If you find Times RO, remove it from either or both folders.

      Use these free utilities:
      Preferential Treatment (Was briefly known as: Check Preference Files)
      http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/as/

      Download and run CacheOutX to clear out your caches:
      http://nonamescriptware.com/programs/CacheOutX.sit

      Randy B. Singer

      How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
      http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 17:13:33 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Re: Word and WordPerfect

      On 5/6/04 4:42 PM, "Randy B. Singer" <randy [email address
      protected]wrote:

      > Matthew Cope said:
      >
      >> Now, if someone could tell me how to stop Word from doing its fits of
      >> "Unexpected Quits"
      >

      > Usually that is caused by a slightly corrupted font, usually an OS 9
      font
      > in the OS 9 fonts folder. Usually this same font will work perfectly
      > when booted into OS 9 (assuming that your machine can do that.)
      >
      > The expensive, but easy, way to fix it is with FontAgent Pro. The
      harder
      > way is to replace all of your OS 9 fonts with fresh copies.
      >
      > Also see:
      >
      > http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html
      > Item #22
      >
      > Check these two folders for for the Times RO font:
      >
      > /Library/Fonts/
      > ~/Library/Fonts/
      >
      > If you find Times RO, remove it from either or both folders.

      >> Thanks Randy -- I did indeed find Times RO. Guess where it is now!
      >

      > Did that solve the problem?

      Looks like it might have. The quits were triggered by drag-and-drop. I
      just
      quit Word and restarted it -- and now I can drag and drop without any
      problems.

      Throughout this time Classic has not been running, so I tend to doubt
      the
      corrupted Sys 9 font culprit in this case -- unless it can do its work
      when
      Classic isn't running.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 17:38:16 -0400
      From: "E. James Gamble" <ejgamble [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Word and WordPerfect

      That's very strange. I use Excel regularly (Version 8.0 from Office
      98) on 9.2.2, and it works flawlessly. I've never had it quit.

      >On May 6, 2004, at 1:25 PM, Matthew Cope wrote:

      >>>Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am using the TypeIt4Me version 1.0
      >>>for OS X(10.3.3) and (concurrently) v. 4.8.2 for Classic.
      >>
      >>Me too. Same combo.
      >>
      >>Now, if someone could tell me how to stop Word from doing its fits of
      >>"Unexpected Quits" -- I hate the program with a passion but I *have*
      to work
      >>with it with my biggest client.
      >>
      >>I can cure it, at least temporarily, by trashing "Word Settings" --
      and I
      >>sometimes trash "Office Settings" too, just incase, but it's only
      ever a
      >>matter of time before it comes back. I have to reset all my prefs and
      that's
      >>a PITA... And ... Well you get the picture.
      >>
      >>What I want to know is what I can do to *prevent* it... And so far
      I've
      >>drawn a blank.
      >

      >While I do not use Word, we do use Excel (the OS 9 version and also
      >part of the Office suite) here and it does the same thing---
      >quitting at least once or twice every time we use it. In 9, it
      >brings the entire system down with it. My husband uses a special
      >edition iBook at home and it does not have enough memory for me to
      >switch him over to X so we are kinda stuck with it until I can
      >convince him to move up to a Power Book with tons of memory
      >expansion. Of course, in our view, Excel suffered badly when they
      >switched from Pascal to V Basic but that is merely another
      >reflection of Micro$oft's preference for frippery over elegance..
      >It is so sad to see an application, first developed for the Mac
      >before the PC, so totally FUBAR. I am sorry I cannot offer anything
      >to help resolve your problem but you certainly have my empathy. :(
      >
      >Madeleine

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 17:08:33 -0500
      From: Madwen <madwen [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word and
      WordPerfect

      On May 6, 2004, at 4:38 PM, E. James Gamble wrote:

      > That's very strange. I use Excel regularly (Version 8.0 from Office
      > 98) on 9.2.2, and it works flawlessly. I've never had it quit.

      OTC, it's not strange at all. CSM is chock full of posts from hundreds
      of people who've had similar problems. Just because you have not
      personally experienced the same problem with your particular hardware
      or level of usage does not mean it is "strange" when others do. But
      this continues to be off topic for this group so I will refrain from
      further comment.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 19:57:16 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>

      protected]wrote:

      >> Now, if someone could tell me how to stop Word from doing its fits of
      >> "Unexpected Quits"
      >

      > Usually that is caused by a slightly corrupted font, usually an OS 9
      font
      > in the OS 9 fonts folder. Usually this same font will work perfectly
      > when booted into OS 9 (assuming that your machine can do that.)
      >
      > The expensive, but easy, way to fix it is with FontAgent Pro. The
      harder
      > way is to replace all of your OS 9 fonts with fresh copies.

      And there's a cheap (actually free) way to at least check which fonts
      might
      be causing trouble.

      I downloaded the demo of FontDoctor X and had it analyze all the fonts
      on my
      disk... And it found a variety of problems with various fonts.

      It doesn't do any repairs in demo mode, but none of the problem fonts
      were
      in any way important, so I have trashed them. Let's hope things go a bit
      better than they have lately.

      By the way, I think trashing Microsoft Office Settings (10) was more
      effective than trashing Word Settings (10) ... But I'm hoping I'll be
      in the
      clear anyway by trashing the fonts.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:21:13 -0700
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]Subject:
      WordPerfect Mac thread at Apple Support

      http://discusssearch.info.apple.com/WebX?14 [email address
      protected].6893020a

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:33:31 -0700
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]Subject:
      Wordperfect files ---> No Table or Font conversion?

      RE: Wordperfect files ---> No Table support?

      I do Tables in WorldPerfect 3.5e
      I use special Fonts (In Mac OS Xs FontBook)

      YET neither make it across "save as RTF or Doc
      or make it across MacLink + 14

      What to do...?

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 02:45:05 EDT
      From: MikeHe224 [email address protected]Subject: WP and Foreign
      Languages

      Dear WP Mac afficionados and friends,

      I am delighted to finally put a message up on the board (it has been a
      LONG
      time for me) and I hope that someone will be able to assist me.

      I have found that my WP3.5 Italian Dictionary gives me errors when I
      try to
      use it, saying "wrong version". I do not know if it is the engine that
      is the
      wrong version or if there is a different version of the "Ortografia"
      that will
      work with WP3.5e. The date on my Ortografia (Dictionary) is Friday Sept
      20,
      1996. I am not aware of a version newer than this one. Does anyone have
      one?
      This is for Italian (IT). I also have dictionaries and thesaruruses for
      French
      (FR), German (DEU), and Spanish (ESP). Spanish is dated July 1994, so
      it is
      older. Ideas anyone??

      I am intrigued to hear that Bill Gates told a colleague that Micro$oft
      made
      more money selling software for the Mac than Apple did selling the
      hardware a
      few years ago. Now maybe Apple will do better since most of its
      hardware is
      manufactured overseas to compete with everyone else. I just hope that
      QC doesn't
      suffer too much more than it already had. Apple hardware used to be VERY
      reliable, but I have seen that much of the new stuff that comes from
      China isn't
      what the older stuff used to be. I still use a G4-400 Sawtooth and it
      is a GREAT
      machine for my uses! I also have a G4 1.25 GHz with a Superdrive, but
      the
      older one keeps on going too.

      Keep this group alive. It is amazing what WP3.5 can still do in the
      face of
      what MS and all the other developers have tried to do since the demise
      of WP
      way back in the 90s. I USE IT EVERY DAY (in Classic Mode, of course)
      and it
      works FINE!

      Mike Hendriksen, IS Manager, ELLIS Inc. Utah

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 08:00:59 +0100
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Re: WP and Foreign Languages

      Mine is 30 July 1997

      Geoff

      >Dear WP Mac afficionados and friends,
      >
      >I am delighted to finally put a message up on the board (it has been a
      LONG
      >time for me) and I hope that someone will be able to assist me.
      >
      >I have found that my WP3.5 Italian Dictionary gives me errors when I
      try to
      >use it, saying "wrong version". I do not know if it is the engine that
      is the
      >wrong version or if there is a different version of the "Ortografia"
      that will
      >work with WP3.5e. The date on my Ortografia (Dictionary) is Friday
      Sept 20,
      >1996. I am not aware of a version newer than this one. Does anyone
      have one?
      >This is for Italian (IT). I also have dictionaries and thesaruruses
      for French
      >(FR), German (DEU), and Spanish (ESP). Spanish is dated July 1994, so
      it is
      >older. Ideas anyone??
      >
      >I am intrigued to hear that Bill Gates told a colleague that Micro$oft
      made
      >more money selling software for the Mac than Apple did selling the
      hardware a
      >few years ago. Now maybe Apple will do better since most of its
      hardware is
      >manufactured overseas to compete with everyone else. I just hope
      >that QC doesn't
      >suffer too much more than it already had. Apple hardware used to be
      VERY
      >reliable, but I have seen that much of the new stuff that comes from
      >China isn't
      >what the older stuff used to be. I still use a G4-400 Sawtooth and
      >it is a GREAT
      >machine for my uses! I also have a G4 1.25 GHz with a Superdrive, but
      the
      >older one keeps on going too.
      >
      >Keep this group alive. It is amazing what WP3.5 can still do in the
      face of
      >what MS and all the other developers have tried to do since the demise
      of WP
      >way back in the 90s. I USE IT EVERY DAY (in Classic Mode, of course)
      and it
      >works FINE!
      >
      >Mike Hendriksen, IS Manager, ELLIS Inc. Utah

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:21:17 -0400
      From: "Alarik W. Skarstrom" <acies [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: WP and Foreign Languages

      >The date on my Ortografia (Dictionary) is Friday Sept 20,
      >1996.

      Finally, something I can talk about competently! My Ortografia is
      dated Feb 28, 1998; it is 416K (418, 508).

      But I wonder if that isn't the date of my last download and install,
      i.e., not the date it was created by Corel.

      Good luck.

      Alarik

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:28:54 -0700
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]Subject:
      WordPerfect: How can I export Tables AS Tables?

      How can I export Tables AS Tables?

      They always seem to get turned into Tab hell or "Graphic" inserts.

      Thanks!

      Hal

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:31:02 -0700
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]Subject: Where &
      How do I get the "Change to Smart Quotes" Macro?

      Where & How do I get the "Change to Smart Quotes" Macro?

      I moving to Mac X I seem to have lost all my cherished Macros.

      AGAIN...

      ....Never give up - someday Wordperfect will be Mac OS X Native.

      : )

      Hal

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 13
      Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:36:40 -0500
      From: Madwen <madwen [email address protected]Subject: WP-Airport
      Problem

      Each time I turn off Airport (from the menu bar), Classic quits, taking
      my WordPerfect and any unsaved WP files along with it. And, contrary
      to usual WP behavior, those files are not rescued when I next reopen
      WP. Any ideas on how to prevent this problem? (Quicksilver running
      10.3.4 with Airport card and Airport Extreme base station with modem,
      and most recent version of Airport software).

      Madeleine

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 14
      Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:30:13 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Mellel?

      Anyone tried this new word processor?

      http://www.redlers.com/mellel.html

      Thoughts... ?

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 15
      Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:46:04 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Re: Mellel?

      On 6/11/04 6:30 PM, "Matthew Cope" <cope [email address protected]net>
      wrote:

      > Anyone tried this new word processor?
      >
      > http://www.redlers.com/mellel.html
      >
      > Thoughts... ?

      My thoughts on *very* short acquaintance -- it seems very elegant and a
      lot
      less bloated than Word. And because it exports .doc files in Word
      format it
      may be a useful OSX alternative to Word and WP for simple documents that
      need mostly text. This could be interesting.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 16
      Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:48:28 -0700
      From: Bill Bossart <whbossart [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Mellel?

      I've been using Mellel and Mariner for some time. Mellel promises to be
      more appealing as a scholarly application. It seems to work well with
      Bookends (an EndNote that works with the Mac). I haven't written a book
      on it yet because I'm doing research and for that I use Hog Bay
      Notebook. But Mellel is good with languages and I think it will work
      out. Give it a try.
      On Jun 11, 2004, at 3:30 PM, Matthew Cope wrote:

      > Anyone tried this new word processor?
      >
      > http://www.redlers.com/mellel.html
      >
      > Thoughts... ?

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      Bill Bossart
      whbossart [email address protected]Message Number: 17
      Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:59:07 -0500
      From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Mellel?

      >Anyone tried this new word processor?
      >
      >http://www.redlers.com/mellel.html
      >
      >Thoughts... ?

      They are raving about it on the Israel macintosh users list.

      I haven't used it, but I installed it on my daughter's iBook before
      she went to Israel.

      Shoshanna

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 18
      Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:03:15 -0600
      From: Paul M <malin [email address protected]Subject: Re: Mellel?

      Matthew,

      Mellel does some uncommon things with great ease, some common things
      not at all. It's fairly pleasant to work with, once you get used to it.
      It is a real bargain at $30 and has very responsive developers (who are
      moving it along at a fair clip). You might join their mailing list at
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/redlex/> to get a sense of who uses it
      and how. They also have a try-before-you-buy demo mode that you can
      play with.

      Right now, the only thing that keeps me from using it full time is its
      inability to do mail merge. I nag them about it, once in a while, but
      their focus is mostly on features for creating scholarly works - books
      and papers, especially multilingual ones.

      Paul M.

      On Jun 11, 2004, at 4:30 PM, Matthew Cope wrote:

      > Thoughts... ?

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 19
      Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:07:37 +0100
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>

      OK, I was intrigued by a couple of references to Mellel being
      designed for scholarly works, so I downloaded it along with the full
      Mellel Guide. As far as I can see (and I admit to less than an hour
      trying it out), it can't do cross-referenced footnotes, that is, "See
      Jones, above at note?", where "?" can be generated into a number when
      the piece is finished. At present WP satisfies all my writing needs,
      but it's a pain that when I save it as Word 6 for exporting to
      publishers, the cross-referenced numbers are lost and have to be
      inserted manually. Am I missing something in Mellel (I hope so,
      because it appeared to be very elegant).

      Geoff