WP-L-Digest 2004/05/06 #941

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 19:32:37 +0100
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Re: Word and WordPerfect

      Bob

      For sure, this is a Word X problem, not WP and not 10.3.3. Word in
      all its self-importance, however, sees fit to freeze Classic when it
      crashes. By the way, I had no problem copying from Preview or Adobe
      Reader (both in X) to WP in Classic.

      Geoff

      >>Dear All
      >>
      >>I've just done this twice in a row with a reboot in-between, so
      >>it's either my setup or it's generic. Started up Classic. Launched
      >>WP and opened the file on which I wanted to work. I then launched
      >>Word in 10.3.3. Opened the relevant Word file. I then copied a
      >>reference from a footnote in the Word file. Clicked on the WP file
      >>... Word crashes (with a submit this report to Apple dialog box),
      >>freezing Classic in the process. The first time I had to force quit
      >>WP and Classic; the second time, I opened the Classic preferences,
      >>rebuilt the desktop and could then close WP and Classic properly.
      >>I'd ask people to duplicate, but I have no idea if this causes
      >>lasting damage to Word, so just let me know if anyone has had a
      >>similar experience.
      >>
      >>Geoff
      >
      >I have just taken a chance and more or less duplicated, with no
      >damage to either program. I say more or less because I am running
      >both programs on 9.2.2., which is probably not exactly the same as
      >Classic under OS X. Whatever. I have transferred in both directions,
      >from body to body, footnote to footnote, and footnote to body, in
      >one case using text supplied by TypeIt4Me, and finally with both
      >programs (WP and Word 98) and the relevant documents open. I
      >encountered no problems.
      >
      >So the hitch may be connected with Classic in some way or other.
      >
      >One curiosity. In my haste I misspelled WordPerfect, leaving out the
      >final t. WP's speller picked up the mistake, Word's did not - or
      >intentionally ignored it. Not until I separated the name into its
      >two parts did Word find there was anything amiss.
      >--
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Bob
      _____

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 15:33:33 -0400
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word and
      WordPerfect

      Totally agree Geoff. Using either XShelf or TextEdit as an
      intermediate 'parking' is a hassle, but less so than rebooting, etc.
      Best.
      Bill

      On May 2, 2004, at 2:32 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

      > Bob
      >
      > For sure, this is a Word X problem, not WP and not 10.3.3. Word in all
      > its self-importance, however, sees fit to freeze Classic when it
      > crashes. By the way, I had no problem copying from Preview or Adobe
      > Reader (both in X) to WP in Classic.
      >
      > Geoff

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 16:20:10 -0400
      From: "Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1 [email address
      protected]Subject: Re: Word and WordPerfect

      There is supposed a brand new version of Office (Office2004) sometime
      at the end of
      June or July.

      It supposed to be a Coca application as opposed to a carbon application.

      It supposed to fix all the bugs that were in Office2001/or OfficeX.

      As to whether it introduces new bugs is anyones guess.

      whunter wrote:
      > Totally agree Geoff. Using either XShelf or TextEdit as an
      intermediate
      > 'parking' is a hassle, but less so than rebooting, etc.
      > Best.
      > Bill
      >
      > On May 2, 2004, at 2:32 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
      >
      >> Bob
      >>
      >> For sure, this is a Word X problem, not WP and not 10.3.3. Word in
      all
      >> its self-importance, however, sees fit to freeze Classic when it
      >> crashes. By the way, I had no problem copying from Preview or Adobe
      >> Reader (both in X) to WP in Classic.
      >>
      >> Geoff

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ---
      Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET,
      Sterling
      616 Liberty Street |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045,
      FAX:276-632-0868
      Martinsville Va 24112-1809 |pjones [email address
      protected]ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet
      ---

      If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

      mailto:pjones [email address
      protected]http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm>
      <http://home.kimbanet.com/~pjones/birthday/index.htm>
      <http://vpea.exis.net>

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 16:25:14 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>

      On 5/2/04 4:20 PM, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1 [email address
      protected]wrote:

      > There is supposed a brand new version of Office (Office2004) sometime
      at the
      > end of June or July.
      >
      > It supposed to be a Coca application as opposed to a carbon
      application.

      > It supposed to fix all the bugs that were in Office2001/or OfficeX.
      >
      > As to whether it introduces new bugs is anyones guess.

      Oh, I dunno... I think it's a pretty safe bet that just like every
      other bit
      of software they release anyone who buys it will be paying for the
      privilege of being a Microsoft beta tester!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 10:46:00 -0500
      From: Madwen <madwen [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word and
      WordPerfect

      Sorry for the late response & top post; I've been offline since both
      computers got lightning zapped and it took the Apple Store nearly 2
      weeks to install new modems. </gnashing of teeth>

      I also use TypeIt4Me and find it somewhat buggy as well. I wish the
      developer would speed the damn thing up (the OSX version) already as it
      drives me crazy! Every time it makes a correction, it pauses
      everything resulting in the next word I type missing the first
      character or two. Do you also have that problem?

      Madeline

      On May 2, 2004, at 9:05 AM, Matthew Cope wrote:

      > On 5/2/04 9:57 AM, "whunter" <whunterjr [email address
      protected]wrote:

      >> First, virtually positive there is NO damage to Word, just the
      >> nuisance.
      >> Have not encountered that identical, but similar has occurred.
      >> Suggest you try opening OS X and Word document first, then open the
      >> WP/Classic app.
      >
      >> Finally, when encountering the freeze, make sure Word has quit, not
      >> just the document window. Finally, if all else fails just to keep
      >> working: highlight and drag (copy) the desired text to either XShelf
      >> or
      >> to a TextEdit document before opening WP. You can transfer from the
      >> latter.
      >
      >> It is a random bug, one that rarely bites me, but do understand.
      >> Regards,
      >
      > I've been through a run of Unexpected Quits in Word of late, and I
      > think I
      > can trace them to the way I have TypeIt4Me configured. I will now be
      > on the
      > lookout for interaction with WP as result of this thread. (WP is my
      > word
      > processor of choice, but when I'm working with my biggest client I
      > have to
      > switch to Word early in the rocess in order to keep all the changes
      > tracked
      > properly.
      >
      > The Typeit4Me bug in case it applies to anyone else:
      >
      > Typeit4Me isinvaluable and I can't really work effectively without it,
      > but
      > it is buggy and the developer is slow to make the necessary fixes.
      >
      > I just e-mailed him this morning with the following:
      >
      >> I'm getting some bugs with MS Word and Entourage under Panther that I
      >> can link
      >> pretty much directly to TypeIt4Me.
      >>
      >> WORD
      >>
      >> With Word ADDED to the TSM-aware list:
      >>
      >> 1) I get Frequent Unexpected Quits -- have to trash Word Settings to
      >> recover.
      >>
      >> 2) I can't enter text directly into the Find/Replace dialogue.
      Nothing
      >> happens. I can Paste text into the box, but I can't type it.
      >>

      >> With Word REMOVED for the TSM-aware list, the Find/Replace dialogue
      >> works
      >> properly but:
      >>
      >> 1) Space bar does not work as a trigger. I have to hit it twice to
      >> insert a
      >> space between an expanded word and the next word.
      >>
      >> 2) Stray text from previous saves to the clipboard shows up
      >> intermittently.
      >>

      >> ENTOURAGE
      >>
      >> With Entourage ADDED to the TSM-aware list I get:
      >>
      >> 1) Typing in the first few letters of an addressee's name produces no
      >> result
      >> unless I also hit the Spacebar. In other words, I have to type
      >>
      >> " sup<spacebar> "
      >>
      >> For your address to appear.
      >>
      >> With Entourage REMOVED from the TSM-aware list the problem
      >> disappears, but I
      >> think stray text from previous saves to the clipboard shows up
      >> intermittently
      >> -- haven't seen it lately.

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 11:51:44 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>

      On 5/6/04 11:46 AM, "Madwen" <madwen [email address protected]wrote:

      > Sorry for the late response & top post; I've been offline since both
      > computers got lightning zapped and it took the Apple Store nearly 2
      > weeks to install new modems. </gnashing of teeth>
      >
      > I also use TypeIt4Me and find it somewhat buggy as well. I wish the
      > developer would speed the damn thing up (the OSX version) already as
      it
      > drives me crazy! Every time it makes a correction, it pauses
      > everything resulting in the next word I type missing the first
      > character or two. Do you also have that problem?

      Not really. And I'm on an older machine (Pismo PowerBook)

      Overall I find it's much faster and stable when I put the programs in
      the
      TSM list and switch off the underlining -- see the manual in the prefs.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 12:28:42 -0500
      From: Madwen <madwen [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word and
      WordPerfect

      On May 6, 2004, at 10:51 AM, Matthew Cope wrote:

      > On 5/6/04 11:46 AM, "Madwen" <madwen [email address protected]wrote:
      >
      >> Sorry for the late response & top post; I've been offline since both
      >> computers got lightning zapped and it took the Apple Store nearly 2
      >> weeks to install new modems. </gnashing of teeth>
      >>
      >> I also use TypeIt4Me and find it somewhat buggy as well. I wish the
      >> developer would speed the damn thing up (the OSX version) already as
      >> it
      >> drives me crazy! Every time it makes a correction, it pauses
      >> everything resulting in the next word I type missing the first
      >> character or two. Do you also have that problem?
      >
      > Not really. And I'm on an older machine (Pismo PowerBook)
      >
      > Overall I find it's much faster and stable when I put the programs in
      > the
      > TSM list and switch off the underlining -- see the manual in the
      prefs.

      You have made my life SO much more comfortable! That worked! Now it no
      longer pauses or misses characters. I posted on this problem several
      times on comp.sys.mac.apps but everyone who replied said they were
      having the same problem.

      Thank you so much. :)

      And btw, the manual that came with mine (available only via the "about"
      command) says nothing specific about this problem. Mine is OS X
      version 1.0; are you using a more recent version, perchance? I am sooo
      grateful...

      Madeleine

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 14:04:57 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>

      On 5/6/04 1:28 PM, "Madwen" <madwen [email address protected]wrote:

      >>> I also use TypeIt4Me and find it somewhat buggy as well. I wish the
      >>> developer would speed the damn thing up (the OSX version) already
      as it
      >>> drives me crazy! Every time it makes a correction, it pauses
      everything
      >>> resulting in the next word I type missing the first character or
      two. Do
      >>> you also have that problem?
      >>>
      >> Not really. And I'm on an older machine (Pismo PowerBook)
      >>
      >> Overall I find it's much faster and stable when I put the programs
      in the TSM
      >> list and switch off the underlining -- see the manual in the prefs.
      >>

      > You have made my life SO much more comfortable! That worked! Now it
      no longer
      > pauses or misses characters. I posted on this problem several times
      on
      > comp.sys.mac.apps but everyone who replied said they were having the
      same
      > problem.
      >
      > Thank you so much. :)
      >
      > And btw, the manual that came with mine (available only via the
      "about"
      > command) says nothing specific about this problem. Mine is OS X
      version 1.0;
      > are you using a more recent version, perchance? I am sooo grateful...

      And now I have this warm rosy glow! After all the help I've received
      it's
      nice to be able to send some in the other direction.

      I'm on OSX 10.3.3

      No the manual (About) doesn't identify it as a problem or suggest this
      as a
      workaround.

      You may find some new little glitches here and there -- for example the
      Search/Replace command in Word is wonky, but the workaround for that is
      select a Keyboard other than TypeIt4Me for that operation... A minor
      pain in
      the rear end, which I have reported to the developer as a bug, but
      overall,
      it works *way* better like this for me.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:16:43 -0500
      From: Madwen <madwen [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word and
      WordPerfect

      On May 6, 2004, at 1:04 PM, Matthew Cope wrote:

      >> I am sooo grateful...
      >
      > And now I have this warm rosy glow! After all the help I've received
      > it's
      > nice to be able to send some in the other direction.
      >
      > I'm on OSX 10.3.3

      Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am using the TypeIt4Me version 1.0
      for OS X(10.3.3) and (concurrently) v. 4.8.2 for Classic.

      Thanks again.

      Madeleine

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 14:25:01 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>

      On 5/6/04 2:16 PM, "Madwen" <madwen [email address protected]wrote:

      > On May 6, 2004, at 1:04 PM, Matthew Cope wrote:
      >
      >>> I am sooo grateful...
      >>
      >> And now I have this warm rosy glow! After all the help I've received
      >> it's
      >> nice to be able to send some in the other direction.
      >>
      >> I'm on OSX 10.3.3
      >
      > Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am using the TypeIt4Me version 1.0
      > for OS X(10.3.3) and (concurrently) v. 4.8.2 for Classic.

      Me too. Same combo.

      Now, if someone could tell me how to stop Word from doing its fits of
      "Unexpected Quits" -- I hate the program with a passion but I *have* to
      work
      with it with my biggest client.

      I can cure it, at least temporarily, by trashing "Word Settings" -- and
      sometimes trash "Office Settings" too, just incase, but it's only ever a
      matter of time before it comes back. I have to reset all my prefs and
      that's
      a PITA... And ... Well you get the picture.

      What I want to know is what I can do to *prevent* it... And so far I've
      drawn a blank.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:40:46 -0500
      From: Steve Kane <skane [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word and
      WordPerfect

      On May 6, 2004, at 1:25 PM, Matthew Cope wrote in part:
      > I can cure it, at least temporarily, by trashing "Word Settings" --
      > and I
      > sometimes trash "Office Settings" too, just incase, but it's only ever
      > matter of time before it comes back. I have to reset all my prefs and
      > that's
      > a PITA... And ... Well you get the picture.

      Just a thought: can you

      trash your preferences,

      then set your preferences just as you like them,

      then make a copy of the preferences files so that

      when the preference files become corrupted

      replace them with copies of the sequestered copies that contain you
      preferred preferences.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 14:46:52 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>

      On 5/6/04 2:40 PM, "Steve Kane" <skane [email address protected]wrote:

      > On May 6, 2004, at 1:25 PM, Matthew Cope wrote in part:
      >> I can cure it, at least temporarily, by trashing "Word Settings" --
      >> and I
      >> sometimes trash "Office Settings" too, just incase, but it's only
      ever
      >> matter of time before it comes back. I have to reset all my prefs and
      >> that's
      >> a PITA... And ... Well you get the picture.
      >
      > Just a thought: can you
      >
      > trash your preferences,
      >
      > then set your preferences just as you like them,
      >
      > then make a copy of the preferences files so that
      >
      > when the preference files become corrupted
      >
      > replace them with copies of the sequestered copies that contain you
      > preferred preferences.

      That is a very good thought. I tried it earlier today and it seemed not
      work. Now that could be because whatever corrupted the first set of
      prefs
      was still at work or it could indicate that the problem is unrelated.

      I suspect that it has to do with memory management, since it happens
      more
      often when I have a lot of apps running and have been working for a
      longish
      time without a reboot... But I could be wrong about that, too...

      Anyway, I Repaired Permissions, restarted the computer. Started Word.
      Set
      the prefs and saved a copy for later -- so far I haven't quit again, as
      was doing with such frequency earlier, but I'm sure I will again some
      time
      or another! I'll see what happens with this theoretically clean set of
      prefs.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 13
      Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:46:13 -0500
      From: Madwen <madwen [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word and
      WordPerfect

      On May 6, 2004, at 1:25 PM, Matthew Cope wrote:

      >>> And now I have this warm rosy glow! After all the help I've received
      >>> it's
      >>> nice to be able to send some in the other direction.
      >>>
      >>> I'm on OSX 10.3.3
      >>
      >> Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am using the TypeIt4Me version 1.0
      >> for OS X(10.3.3) and (concurrently) v. 4.8.2 for Classic.
      >
      > Me too. Same combo.
      >
      > Now, if someone could tell me how to stop Word from doing its fits of
      > "Unexpected Quits" -- I hate the program with a passion but I *have*
      > to work
      > with it with my biggest client.
      >
      > I can cure it, at least temporarily, by trashing "Word Settings" --
      > and I
      > sometimes trash "Office Settings" too, just incase, but it's only ever
      > matter of time before it comes back. I have to reset all my prefs and
      > that's
      > a PITA... And ... Well you get the picture.
      >
      > What I want to know is what I can do to *prevent* it... And so far
      I've
      > drawn a blank.

      While I do not use Word, we do use Excel (the OS 9 version and also
      part of the Office suite) here and it does the same thing--- quitting
      at least once or twice every time we use it. In 9, it brings the
      entire system down with it. My husband uses a special edition iBook at
      home and it does not have enough memory for me to switch him over to X
      so we are kinda stuck with it until I can convince him to move up to a
      Power Book with tons of memory expansion. Of course, in our view,
      Excel suffered badly when they switched from Pascal to V Basic but that
      is merely another reflection of Micro$oft's preference for frippery
      over elegance.. It is so sad to see an application, first developed
      for the Mac before the PC, so totally FUBAR. I am sorry I cannot offer
      anything to help resolve your problem but you certainly have my
      empathy. :(

      Madeleine