WP-L-Digest 2004/05/02 #940

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:12:09 -0400
      From: "Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1 [email address
      protected]Subject: Re: Can WP survive = is the Apple Mac CPU gonna...

      Everyone has been predicing the demise of Apple since 1983.

      Sounds like someone talking trash to me.

      Beside it would be bad for Microsoft if Apple dies, due to antiTrust.
      The Government would have no choice whether Publican or Democrate to
      Bust up Ms in a
      gazillion little pieces like they did AT&T (BELL). they way antitrust
      laws are
      written they cna't get around it. so.... MS has decided its better for
      them for
      Apple to stick around.

      Harald Sundt wrote:
      > I have had some dispiriting news today. I was watching CNN on a Real
      > Plyer on a huge liquid flat screen the side of a TV Tray at my local
      Mac
      > Store. CNN was showing Kerry and McCain saying how "for the war" they
      > were, and I overheard a tech guy telling a pal that Apple stocks had
      > fallen from 8% of the market to 3% and that it looked like that Apple
      > was going to shift to iPod and "integrated consumer electronics" from
      > "Boxes". By which I assume he meant Mac COMPUTERS.
      >
      > He did reassure his friend that "My job is secure for five years at
      > least and I see at least another major Number" (???) "But if market
      hits
      > 2 then I'm sending going into overdrive with my resumes."
      >
      > Who is going to develop for a platform with no 4th Quarter?
      >
      > : \

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ---
      Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET,
      Sterling
      616 Liberty Street |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045,
      FAX:276-632-0868
      Martinsville Va 24112-1809 |pjones [email address
      protected]ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet
      ---

      If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

      mailto:pjones [email address
      protected]http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm>
      <http://home.kimbanet.com/~pjones/birthday/index.htm>
      <http://vpea.exis.net>

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:28:36 -0700
      From: Randy B. Singer <randy [email address protected]Subject: Re: Can

      Harald Sundt said:

      >I have had some dispiriting news today. I was watching CNN on a Real
      >Plyer on a huge liquid flat screen the side of a TV Tray at my local
      >Mac Store. CNN was showing Kerry and McCain saying how "for the war"
      >they were, and I overheard a tech guy telling a pal that Apple stocks
      >had fallen from 8% of the market to 3% and that it looked like that
      >Apple was going to shift to iPod and "integrated consumer
      >electronics" from "Boxes". By which I assume he meant Mac COMPUTERS.
      >
      >He did reassure his friend that "My job is secure for five years at
      >least and I see at least another major Number" (???) "But if market
      >hits 2 then I'm sending going into overdrive with my resumes."
      >
      >Who is going to develop for a platform with no 4th Quarter?

      There are folks who have been predicting the demise of Apple and the
      Macintosh for ages. It hasn't happened, and it doesn't look like it is
      going to happen anytime in the forseeable future.

      It's true that Apple has only about 3% of the computer market, but that
      market is *huge*. As Steve Jobs said at the recent Apple shareholder
      meeting, BMW has far less than 3% of their market, and no one is
      worrying
      about them. Quite apart from market share (which only takes into
      account
      the sale of new computers), there are well over 20 million Macintosh
      users. Keep in mind that Macs last a lot longer than PC's. In time,
      the
      vast majority of all of those users will probably be in the market for a
      new Macintosh.

      Apple is not "shifting to concentrate on iPods." The iPod is one part
      of
      Apple's business, and it is a profitable part, since this is more or
      less
      a new market. Once the market for tiny music players matures, Apple
      will
      have to find a new market to expand into. Apple knows this, so they
      aren't going to be giving up on their cash cow: computers.

      You may also want to note that Apple's success with the iPod and the
      iTunes store leverages sales of Macs. Folks who have never touched a
      Mac
      before now use and love an Apple product, and think of Apple as a
      high-tech cutting edge company with really cool industrial design. With
      iTunes soon to be on the desktop of every new HP computer, Apple will
      gain even more mindshare.

      Meanwhile Apple's computer business is doing well. (Okay, G5 sales
      aren't
      doing as well as Apple had hoped. But Apple's laptops are selling like
      gangbusters.) Apple's stock is doing great (it is close to its highest
      point for the entire past year), and Apple tripled its profit for the
      last quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago.

      If anyone tells you that Apple is headed down the tubes, please feel
      free
      to tell them that they are idiots, and that I said so. 8-{D

      Randy B. Singer

      How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
      http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:46:34 -0700
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]Subject: Re: WP
      survive? T

      Thank you - I needed to be told the Blue Meanies were full of Blue
      Gas...
      remember - I was the guy who worried Linux was gonna be made ILLEGAL
      - I never recovered from re-criminalization of a private pipe here in
      Oregon....

      : )

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:20:00 -0400
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Font Utility

      Just announced, but have NOT evaluated. I post for those with interest
      in a more robust OS X font management tool. This is not the only
      option, but good features are listed for a fair introductory price from
      a respected developer.
      http://www.yousoftware.com/products/fonts.php
      Regards,
      Bill Hunter

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:02:43 -0500
      From: Steve Kane <skane [email address protected]Subject: Re: OS
      X-native word processors-NeoOffice/J [was Re: X]

      On Mar 26, 2004, at 7:41 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

      > I am in touch with a developer who tells me that *next week* he will
      be
      > releasing a word processor that is very Mac-like, and which is quite
      > close to WP in features. It won't be free like NeoOffice/J, but it
      > will
      > be very reasonably priced compared to WP or Word. I'll let you all
      > know
      > when it is released.

      As Christopher Walken would say "Eh?". Or as I would say, "Did I miss
      the announcement?" :-)

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:00:42 -0700
      From: Randy B. Singer <randy [email address protected]Subject: Re: OS

      Steve Kane said:

      >As Christopher Walken would say "Eh?". Or as I would say, "Did I miss
      >the announcement?" :-)

      No. The developer has been assuring me that it would be "this week" for
      several months now.

      Believe me, I will post here about it first thing when it is released.

      Randy B. Singer

      How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
      http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:51:29 -0700
      From: John Sandel <johnsandel [email address protected]Subject:
      Off-topic query ...

      .... if you call the silence on the list of late a topic ...

      I've lurked on this list for some years now and learned so much from
      you folks, I'd like to impose with a request. I'm thinking of
      abandoning WordPerfect; in a fit of pique, I've decided to go all-OSX.
      I.e., no Classic no more.

      I rather like Tex-Edit Plus (TEP), a small-footprint, OSX-native word
      processor which is readily adaptable with AppleScripts. TEP could serve
      as my auxiliary word processor (I spend most of my time these days in
      Final Draft) if I could replicate some of the unprepossessing macros
      I've crafted in WordPerfect over the years.

      Is there anybody on the list adept at AppleScript with whom I could
      correspond off the list? I'd like to pick the brain of an experienced
      WoirdPerfect user, who might best understand when I compare what I want
      TEP to do, via AppleScript, to emulate WordPerfect's admirable,
      lamented macro language.

      Alternatively: I've been messing around with the latest version of
      QuicKeys ("X2"), but find its scripting routines a bit opaque. If
      anyone on the list is conversant in QuicKeys--same request for off-list
      emails.

      Thanks in advance for any offer of expertise.

      JS

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 14:26:45 +0100
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Word and WordPerfect

      Dear All

      I've just done this twice in a row with a reboot in-between, so it's
      either my setup or it's generic. Started up Classic. Launched WP and
      opened the file on which I wanted to work. I then launched Word in
      10.3.3. Opened the relevant Word file. I then copied a reference from
      a footnote in the Word file. Clicked on the WP file ... Word crashes
      (with a submit this report to Apple dialog box), freezing Classic in
      the process. The first time I had to force quit WP and Classic; the
      second time, I opened the Classic preferences, rebuilt the desktop
      and could then close WP and Classic properly. I'd ask people to
      duplicate, but I have no idea if this causes lasting damage to Word,
      so just let me know if anyone has had a similar experience.

      Geoff

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 08:41:58 -0500
      From: Luke <treehouse1 [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word and
      WordPerfect

      Try quitting WORD before clicking on WordPerfect.

      gl

      On May 2, 2004, at 8:26, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

      > Dear All
      >
      > I've just done this twice in a row with a reboot in-between, so it's
      > either my setup or it's generic. Started up Classic. Launched WP and
      > opened the file on which I wanted to work. I then launched Word in
      > 10.3.3. Opened the relevant Word file. I then copied a reference from
      > a footnote in the Word file. Clicked on the WP file ... Word crashes
      > (with a submit this report to Apple dialog box), freezing Classic in
      > the process. The first time I had to force quit WP and Classic; the
      > second time, I opened the Classic preferences, rebuilt the desktop and
      > could then close WP and Classic properly. I'd ask people to duplicate,
      > but I have no idea if this causes lasting damage to Word, so just let
      > me know if anyone has had a similar experience.
      >
      > Geoff

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------

      Treehouse1
      http://homepage.mac.com/treehouse1/index.html
      http://homepage.mac.com/treehouse1/homepage.html

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 09:57:13 -0400
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word and
      WordPerfect

      Geoff -
      First, virtually positive there is NO damage to Word, just the nuisance.
      Have not encountered that identical, but similar has occurred.
      Suggest you try opening OS X and Word document first, then open the
      WP/Classic app.
      Finally, when encountering the freeze, make sure Word has quit, not
      just the document window. Finally, if all else fails just to keep
      working: highlight and drag (copy) the desired text to either XShelf or
      to a TextEdit document before opening WP. You can transfer from the
      latter.
      It is a random bug, one that rarely bites me, but do understand.
      Regards,
      Bill

      On May 2, 2004, at 9:26 AM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

      > Dear All
      >
      > I've just done this twice in a row with a reboot in-between, so it's
      > either my setup or it's generic. Started up Classic. Launched WP and
      > opened the file on which I wanted to work. I then launched Word in
      > 10.3.3. Opened the relevant Word file. I then copied a reference from
      > a footnote in the Word file. Clicked on the WP file ... Word crashes
      > (with a submit this report to Apple dialog box), freezing Classic in
      > the process. The first time I had to force quit WP and Classic; the
      > second time, I opened the Classic preferences, rebuilt the desktop and
      > could then close WP and Classic properly. I'd ask people to duplicate,
      > but I have no idea if this causes lasting damage to Word, so just let
      > me know if anyone has had a similar experience.
      >
      > Geoff

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 10:05:32 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Re: Word and WordPerfect

      On 5/2/04 9:57 AM, "whunter" <whunterjr [email address protected]wrote:

      > First, virtually positive there is NO damage to Word, just the
      nuisance.
      > Have not encountered that identical, but similar has occurred.
      > Suggest you try opening OS X and Word document first, then open the
      > WP/Classic app.

      > Finally, when encountering the freeze, make sure Word has quit, not
      > just the document window. Finally, if all else fails just to keep
      > working: highlight and drag (copy) the desired text to either XShelf
      or
      > to a TextEdit document before opening WP. You can transfer from the
      > latter.

      > It is a random bug, one that rarely bites me, but do understand.
      > Regards,

      I've been through a run of Unexpected Quits in Word of late, and I
      think I
      can trace them to the way I have TypeIt4Me configured. I will now be on
      the
      lookout for interaction with WP as result of this thread. (WP is my word
      processor of choice, but when I'm working with my biggest client I have
      switch to Word early in the rocess in order to keep all the changes
      tracked
      properly.

      The Typeit4Me bug in case it applies to anyone else:

      Typeit4Me isinvaluable and I can't really work effectively without it,
      but
      it is buggy and the developer is slow to make the necessary fixes.

      I just e-mailed him this morning with the following:

      > I'm getting some bugs with MS Word and Entourage under Panther that I
      can link
      > pretty much directly to TypeIt4Me.
      >
      > WORD
      >
      > With Word ADDED to the TSM-aware list:
      >
      > 1) I get Frequent Unexpected Quits -- have to trash Word Settings to
      recover.

      > 2) I can't enter text directly into the Find/Replace dialogue. Nothing
      > happens. I can Paste text into the box, but I can't type it.
      >

      > With Word REMOVED for the TSM-aware list, the Find/Replace dialogue
      works
      > properly but:
      >
      > 1) Space bar does not work as a trigger. I have to hit it twice to
      insert a
      > space between an expanded word and the next word.
      >
      > 2) Stray text from previous saves to the clipboard shows up
      intermittently.

      > ENTOURAGE
      >
      > With Entourage ADDED to the TSM-aware list I get:
      >
      > 1) Typing in the first few letters of an addressee's name produces no
      result
      > unless I also hit the Spacebar. In other words, I have to type
      >
      > " sup<spacebar> "
      >
      > For your address to appear.
      >
      > With Entourage REMOVED from the TSM-aware list the problem
      disappears, but I
      > think stray text from previous saves to the clipboard shows up
      intermittently
      > -- haven't seen it lately.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 17:35:36 +0200
      From: "Robert J. Widenmann" <maribob [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Word and WordPerfect

      >Dear All
      >
      >I've just done this twice in a row with a reboot in-between, so it's
      >either my setup or it's generic. Started up Classic. Launched WP and
      >opened the file on which I wanted to work. I then launched Word in
      >10.3.3. Opened the relevant Word file. I then copied a reference
      >from a footnote in the Word file. Clicked on the WP file ... Word
      >crashes (with a submit this report to Apple dialog box), freezing
      >Classic in the process. The first time I had to force quit WP and
      >Classic; the second time, I opened the Classic preferences, rebuilt
      >the desktop and could then close WP and Classic properly. I'd ask
      >people to duplicate, but I have no idea if this causes lasting
      >damage to Word, so just let me know if anyone has had a similar
      >experience.
      >
      >Geoff

      I have just taken a chance and more or less duplicated, with no
      damage to either program. I say more or less because I am running
      both programs on 9.2.2., which is probably not exactly the same as
      Classic under OS X. Whatever. I have transferred in both directions,
      from body to body, footnote to footnote, and footnote to body, in one
      case using text supplied by TypeIt4Me, and finally with both programs
      (WP and Word 98) and the relevant documents open. I encountered no
      problems.

      So the hitch may be connected with Classic in some way or other.

      One curiosity. In my haste I misspelled WordPerfect, leaving out the
      final t. WP's speller picked up the mistake, Word's did not - or
      intentionally ignored it. Not until I separated the name into its two
      parts did Word find there was anything amiss.
      --

      Regards,

      Bob