WP-L-Digest 2004/04/02 #936

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:51:07 -0500
      From: Sheila F. Jones <sheila [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      I guess I spoke too soon. But it just happened again. I WAS able to
      print something from WordPerfect. Then, when trying to print something
      from OSX, the printer told me to check the connection. I unplugged the
      USB cord and plugged it back in. I was then able to print from OSX.
      Then a horrible feeling came over me as I thought I better check
      WordPerfect again. Before I did that, I checked Chooser and found that
      the USB (Port 1) information was now gone. This is just ridiculous.

      Bill, are you saying that because I'm shutting down my computer I need
      to steadily use the Repair Permissions? Or am I reading too much into
      your statement?

      Sheila

      On Mar 29, 2004, at 6:39 PM, whunter wrote:

      Goodness........ you mean all of us can sleep tonight!!!! Hope you
      learned some useful routine 'housekeeping' midst all of this. Repair
      Permissions via Disk Utility should be on the priority list of anyone
      who shuts down their OS X computer at night.

      It is always challenging to learn a new operating system. I trust that
      you are learning how easy the Mac OS X is to manage once the basics
      are learned. Now if I could only learn the nuances of WP as
      well........ Thanks to the efforts of all, WP-L is a valuable
      resource.
      Bill

      On Mar 29, 2004, at 6:17 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > Thanks so much for all your help. You may never hear from me again,
      > but I'm still lurking in the background reading everything that comes
      > my way.
      >
      > Sheila F. Jones

      Sheila :-)

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:56:13 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: Epson
      issues with Panther

      Probably Permissions. The key is you learned how to manage. The web
      searches to confirm no reports of such problems with the Epson printer
      or Apple OS X proved invaluable and incentive to keep working on the
      problem. OS X remains good for WP and all of us. Now if we could only
      solve the HP driver issues for Geoff and myself in such an effective
      manner. No additional HP equipment for me.
      Bill

      On Mar 29, 2004, at 6:19 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > Kind of moot now, but I had only installed the 10.3.3 update this past
      > Friday. I'll probably never know what happened to get this printing
      > problem.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:00:27 -0500
      From: Sheila F. Jones <sheila [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      I am not set to Apple Talk. I don't see anything in OX X Preferences'
      Network pane about Apple Talk. What am I missing? Could this still be
      causing my problem?

      On Mar 28, 2004, at 5:24 PM, whunter wrote:

      2. Still suspect you have some obtuse setting in OS X Preferences
      'Network' pane. Key is you should be set to AppleTalk. If questions,
      use the 'Help' menu in the finder - - a goldmine.

      Sheila :-)

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:18:33 -0600
      From: Madwen <madwen [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing in
      classic...

      I had a feeling that was the problem and I am glad it worked. In the
      future, before you do any major system updates, be sure to run Disk
      Utility: Repair Permissions on the boot drive from the boot drive
      before and after the update. It is no longer necessary to run it from
      the CD btw.

      On Mar 29, 2004, at 5:17 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > I used Disk First Aid Repair and Repair Permissions as suggested.....

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:20:46 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      Ouch.....
      From simple to more complex:
      - You had to reset Chooser in Classic because you were booted into
      Classic at the time you disconnected. This is to be expected, not a
      sign of chronic problem.
      - Get a replacement USB cable (doubt this will solve, but simple).
      - Umpteen posts ago, I suggested the potential (potential only) of a
      bad USB circuit board in either the Mac or the printer. First change
      the cable and test. If this continues, you may need to take equipment
      for warranty repair. But, see the next line first......
      - See my note posted earlier today about the COMBO OS 10.3. This
      seems to solve ill defined USB function for rarely encountered
      problems. Each to their own, but I would try this simple procedure
      next before seeking repair.

      NO, you should be able to shut down and reboot your Mac without loosing
      the printer selection either in OS X or Classic. If you disconnect
      while the computer is running, you will need to quickly select again
      either by Chooser in Classic or Printer Utility in OS X. Both are
      quick and easy.

      NO, Repair Permissions is only required if you add or delete SW such as
      installing the OS upgrade.

      Finally, you now know you have a solvable problem with an Epson printer
      which WILL work rather than a 'black hole'. Try the above suggestions
      to resolve.
      Bill

      On Mar 29, 2004, at 6:51 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > I guess I spoke too soon. But it just happened again. I WAS able to
      > print something from WordPerfect. Then, when trying to print something
      > from OSX, the printer told me to check the connection. I unplugged the
      > USB cord and plugged it back in. I was then able to print from OSX.
      > Then a horrible feeling came over me as I thought I better check
      > WordPerfect again. Before I did that, I checked Chooser and found that
      > the USB (Port 1) information was now gone. This is just ridiculous.
      >
      > Bill, are you saying that because I'm shutting down my computer I need
      > to steadily use the Repair Permissions? Or am I reading too much into
      > your statement?
      >

      > Sheila

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:34:03 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      OS X>System Preferences>Network pane>Location - - scroll to "Automatic"
      then, >Show>Buillt-in Ethernet>AppleTalk make sure the AppleTalk
      is active in this window.

      HOWEVER.......... since asking, realize that you have a simple USB
      setup which should not be affected by the AppleTalk setting. The fact
      that you have just succeeded in printing certifies that your AppleTalk
      setting is OK however set.

      See the notes I just sent re USB, both SW and hardware. The more I
      think about it, believe you should download the combo 10.3 upgrade and
      install as the next step. If the USB cable has worked, it will
      continue to do so 99++++++++% of the time. Connectors can become
      corroded, but unlikely.
      Bill

      On Mar 29, 2004, at 7:00 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > I am not set to Apple Talk. I don't see anything in OX X Preferences'
      > Network pane about Apple Talk. What am I missing? Could this still be
      > causing my problem?

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:42:56 -0500
      From: Sheila F. Jones <sheila [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      I was reading the information in the links provided earlier on this
      combo upgrade. No use trying to get it tonight, not with my slow
      connection. I'll try it tomorrow at work and bring it home. Thanks.

      On Mar 29, 2004, at 7:34 PM, whunter wrote:

      The more I think about it, believe you should download the combo 10.3
      upgrade and install as the next step.

      Sheila :-)

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:45:29 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      P.S. Keep the faith. You are well on your way to BOTH solving and
      understanding.
      Bill

      On Mar 29, 2004, at 7:34 PM, whunter wrote:

      > On Mar 29, 2004, at 7:00 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:
      >
      >> I am not set to Apple Talk. I don't see anything in OX X Preferences'
      >> Network pane about Apple Talk. What am I missing? Could this still be
      >> causing my problem?

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:54:31 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      No guarantee, but the Combo upgrade seems to be the most logical - - no
      expense involved. If you can borrow another USB cable to test, also
      suggest this before going to the effort of new OS software. Remember
      to run Permissions Repair after any OS upgrade / install.
      Bill

      On Mar 29, 2004, at 7:42 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > I was reading the information in the links provided earlier on this
      > combo upgrade. No use trying to get it tonight, not with my slow
      > connection. I'll try it tomorrow at work and bring it home. Thanks.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:26:39 -0500
      From: Rick Albright <logres [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      For what it's worth, and not to undermine Bill's sage (and tireless)
      advice, I've gotten a bit more cautious about downloading all the MacOS
      updates. If I am not experiencing any current problems (that's a
      qualifier), I read the descriptions carefully to see if it's anything
      that I really need. Even then, I wait a bit, and then peek at a few of
      the excellent forums (I'm most familiar with MacOSXHints.com and
      OSXFAQ.com) to see if anyone is experiencing any problems with the
      update. It just seems that there's some risk in each update--maybe not
      doing anything drastic, but discovering later that something that
      worked before doesn't work now, or not the same way. I believe there
      was a Quicktime update last year that had to be withdrawn and detailed
      instructions posted as to how users could restore the previous version.
      That sort of thing doesn't happen often, I admit, but it can.

      I'm a little more concerned about running each incremental OS update as
      it appears for another reason. I'll be the first to admit I don't know
      a lot about OSX's UNIX underpinnings, but a lot of experts seem to be
      saying that it's better to apply a combo update (one that incorporates
      multiple updates, say, from 10.2/10.2.1 right up to 10.2.8) as opposed
      to multiple individual updates. I don't want to start a big argument in
      UNIX-speak about this; I'm just suggesting that any update introduces a
      new set of variables, so sometimes it's better not to rush into them,
      unless you're having a problem or issue and you have good reason to
      believe that the update will resolve it. Be sure to read that last
      statement before hitting the "reply" button.
      Rick Albright
      logres [email address protected]On Mar 29, 2004, at 7:42 PM, Sheila F.
      Jones wrote:

      > I was reading the information in the links provided earlier on this
      > combo upgrade. No use trying to get it tonight, not with my slow
      > connection. I'll try it tomorrow at work and bring it home. Thanks.
      >

      > On Mar 29, 2004, at 7:34 PM, whunter wrote:
      >
      > The more I think about it, believe you should download the combo 10.3
      > upgrade and install as the next step.
      >

      > Sheila :-)

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:42:03 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      Rick -
      Your comments re caution and prudence are wise in the selection of all
      things in life. Both MS and Apple have released revisions with errors
      only to offer replacements a few days later. In the aggregate,
      however, I have been far better served by the advances with each
      release of OS X than inconvenienced by rare nuances. Problems are
      virtually always limited to some unusual equipment configuration
      inclusive of third party equipment thus I am rarely affected. Still,
      from the perspective of guidance, your opinion offers wise counsel.

      In the case of an Epson printer coupled to a virtually new Mac on OS X
      with no printing problems reported, Sheila has a trouble shooting
      equipment / software problem which is unique to her. This is an
      objective issue, not an opinion or voting issue. With a somewhat
      arduous effort, we have her close to the diagnosis. Software remains
      the prime suspect. For those who might be having problems with the
      latest upgrade to 10.3.3, I strongly suggest you read (will be posted
      today only):

      http://www.macfixit.com/

      This is a good trouble shooting site for the Mac whence rare problems
      are magnified to visibility. Most, including my three installs
      encountered no problems with the installation or performance of 10.3.3.
      My advice to Sheila based on the funneled responses is to try the
      Combo upgrade if the printing problem / USB involvement has not been
      resolved. Such is a no expense and easy process which should at
      minimum better delineate the specifics of her problem. As suggested,
      Sheila should also run the Apple Tools disk in the midst of all this in
      seeking a more definitive fix. Again, this is a no additional cost and
      easy process.
      Bill

      On Mar 30, 2004, at 8:26 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

      > For what it's worth, and not to undermine Bill's sage (and tireless)
      > advice, I've gotten a bit more cautious about downloading all the
      > MacOS updates. If I am not experiencing any current problems (that's a
      > qualifier), I read the descriptions carefully to see if it's anything
      > that I really need. Even then, I wait a bit, and then peek at a few of
      > the excellent forums (I'm most familiar with MacOSXHints.com and
      > OSXFAQ.com) to see if anyone is experiencing any problems with the
      > update. It just seems that there's some risk in each update--maybe not
      > doing anything drastic, but discovering later that something that
      > worked before doesn't work now, or not the same way. I believe there
      > was a Quicktime update last year that had to be withdrawn and detailed
      > instructions posted as to how users could restore the previous
      > version. That sort of thing doesn't happen often, I admit, but it can.
      >
      > I'm a little more concerned about running each incremental OS update
      > as it appears for another reason. I'll be the first to admit I don't
      > know a lot about OSX's UNIX underpinnings, but a lot of experts seem
      > to be saying that it's better to apply a combo update (one that
      > incorporates multiple updates, say, from 10.2/10.2.1 right up to
      > 10.2.8) as opposed to multiple individual updates. I don't want to
      > start a big argument in UNIX-speak about this; I'm just suggesting
      > that any update introduces a new set of variables, so sometimes it's
      > better not to rush into them, unless you're having a problem or issue
      > and you have good reason to believe that the update will resolve it.
      > Be sure to read that last statement before hitting the "reply" button.
      > Rick Albright

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:47:37 -0500
      From: Rick Albright <logres [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Outlining

      A belated thank you to everyone who shared their ideas about how they
      used the outlining feature of WordPerfect. it was very helpful.

      Rick Albright

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 13
      Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:54:28 -0500
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Re: Outlining

      I'll add one more use. In fact it's the only thing I ever use it for.

      In the old days of WP-DOS there was a "Number Paragraphs" command. In
      WP-Mac
      there isn't. Why not, I have no idea, since I would have thought it
      would be
      one of the most used features if it were there.

      Incidentally, the same thing happened in Word -- in 5.1 you could number
      the paragraphs as a standalone command. These days you have to add it
      to the
      paragraph Style (which is something I wish WP could do).

      So... I use WP Outlining to number paragraphs.

      On 3/31/04 8:47 PM, "Rick Albright" <logres [email address
      protected]wrote:

      > A belated thank you to everyone who shared their ideas about how they
      > used the outlining feature of WordPerfect. it was very helpful.
      >
      > Rick Albright

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 14
      Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 07:27:53 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Fonts

      For those seeking more information re Fonts, Folders and Classic which
      is pertinent to WP, see Apple KB article #106417.
      Best,
      Bill

      Message Number: 15
      Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:04:01 -0800