Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

WP-L-Digest 2004/03/28 #934

Expand Messages
  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message Number: 1 Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:24:07 -0500 From: whunter
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:24:07 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      Hmmmmmm........ Just sent a response to Geoff that evidence suggests
      it is your setup, NOT Apple or Epson. This note confirms. Here is my
      summary guidance:
      1. Go to an Apple store if within a tank of gas distance. The time
      consumed on this far exceeds even the current OPEC value of such.
      2. Still suspect you have some obtuse setting in OS X Preferences
      'Network' pane. Key is you should be set to AppleTalk. If questions,
      use the 'Help' menu in the finder - - a goldmine.
      3. If none of the above........ Assume you have all of the
      original OS X disks. Sounds like time will be saved if you just backup
      all of your documents, bookmarks, email, etc., then do a clean install
      of OS X and setup again. BEFORE you tinker with the printer, UPDATE to
      10.3.3. Then setup your printer in both OS X and in Classic. Will
      take some time, but far less than already wasted.
      4. Since the USB, cables, printer, etc., work in OS X, most unlikely
      that you have a hardware problem.

      You did it before. Start from scratch and do it again.
      Luck
      Bill

      On Mar 28, 2004, at 4:50 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > I really wish that would have been the case. I haven't had much time
      > to look at this problem this weekend. I did try the 10.3.3 upgrade,
      > but it obviously did nothing. What's really frustrating with this
      > problem is that everything was working at one time. I was able to
      > print several things. I have no idea what happened to completely nip
      > that in the bud. Because things were working at one time, it sure
      > seems things should be able to get back to that point again. Grrrr....
      >
      >
      > Sheila


      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:28:10 -0500
      From: Rick Albright <logres [email address protected]Subject: Re: Other
      Word Processers have WP file I/O yet? MacLink+ how good?

      On Mar 28, 2004, at 3:49 PM, Steve Kane wrote:

      > I have been using MacLinkPlus Deluxe for several years and several
      > upgrades. Generally, I have been able to exchange simple documents
      > with people who use other, mostly microsoft, products. It is true that
      > applications try to be able to import and export ms documents, but I
      > don't keep every app up to the minute all the time and if ms revs
      > their apps it usually means a change of file format which usually
      > breaks import/export routines. So, keeping MacLinkPlus Deluxe up to
      > date allows me to use older programs, especially WordPerfect 3.5 which
      > doesn't know about more recent ms file formats.
      >
      Yes, I agree that MacLinkPlus is a good program to have. As a rule, I
      don't buy each upgrade, unless there's a file format I really need and
      don't have. Even with AppleWorks's built-in Word and Excel translators
      (by Dataviz, in fact), I periodically come across a file that, for
      whatever reason, Appleworks can't translate. In those instances,
      MacLinkPlus has always been able to. Not to mention, it's a good tool
      to use to get into WordPerfect format. If you do a lot of file moving
      in different formats, it can be pretty useful.
      Rick Albright


      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:33:20 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      Possibly I goofed, but understood that she had one of the new eMacs
      which does not boot in OS 9. (Classic only.) or would have offered the
      generic desktop rebuild, etc.

      OTOH, you just reminded me of a REBUILD option in the Classic Pane of
      OS X.

      Shelia, go: OS X>System Preferences>Classic>Advanced (tab)> Rebuild
      Desktop - - at the bottom of the window. Especially since you once had
      it working, this is a specific SW problem unique to you. This option
      is a lot easier and quicker than the other suggestions offered.
      Thanks Bob.
      Bill


      On Mar 28, 2004, at 4:59 PM, Robert J. Widenmann wrote:

      > That problem has also plagued me a couple of times, likewise with
      > 9.2.2. and an Epson 740. I was generally able to solve it by simply
      > rebuilding the desktop or, if that failed to work, by turning Disk
      > warrior loose on the desktop file. The problem has not emerged for
      > some time now, but I cannot explain why.
      >
      > Bob


      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:38:17 -0500
      From: Rick Albright <logres [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      What about booting into, and running the hardware test CD that
      should've been included with the computer, along with the restore
      disks? Does this test the USB? I thought it did, but can't recall for
      sure. I believe TechTools Pro also has a hardware test function that
      includes the various ports. Just a thought, and apologies if it's been
      mentioned already.
      Rick Albright

      On Mar 28, 2004, at 5:24 PM, whunter wrote:

      > Hmmmmmm........ Just sent a response to Geoff that evidence
      > suggests it is your setup, NOT Apple or Epson. This note confirms.
      > Here is my summary guidance:
      > 1. Go to an Apple store if within a tank of gas distance. The time
      > consumed on this far exceeds even the current OPEC value of such.
      > 2. Still suspect you have some obtuse setting in OS X Preferences
      > 'Network' pane. Key is you should be set to AppleTalk. If
      > questions, use the 'Help' menu in the finder - - a goldmine.
      > 3. If none of the above........ Assume you have all of the
      > original OS X disks. Sounds like time will be saved if you just
      > backup all of your documents, bookmarks, email, etc., then do a clean
      > install of OS X and setup again. BEFORE you tinker with the printer,
      > UPDATE to 10.3.3. Then setup your printer in both OS X and in
      > Classic. Will take some time, but far less than already wasted.
      > 4. Since the USB, cables, printer, etc., work in OS X, most unlikely
      > that you have a hardware problem.
      >
      > You did it before. Start from scratch and do it again.
      > Luck
      > Bill
      >
      > On Mar 28, 2004, at 4:50 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:
      >
      >> Bill,
      >>
      >> I really wish that would have been the case. I haven't had much time
      >> to look at this problem this weekend. I did try the 10.3.3 upgrade,
      >> but it obviously did nothing. What's really frustrating with this
      >> problem is that everything was working at one time. I was able to
      >> print several things. I have no idea what happened to completely nip
      >> that in the bud. Because things were working at one time, it sure
      >> seems things should be able to get back to that point again.
      >> Grrrr....
      >>
      >>
      >> Sheila
      >
      >
      _______________________________________________________________________
      > _____
      > To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change options, visit
      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!
      >
      >
      >


      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:44:05 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word
      Drawing Object to pict or gif via NeoOffice/J

      Steve -
      Thanks to you for supplying a copy of the MS Word document offline for
      testing. As noted, the workhorse 'Text Edit' in OS X opened all but
      the Drawing Object graphic. Apple Works yielded NOTHING but two blank
      pages. Today, responding to a 'spam' solicitation to purchase the
      latest edition of Mariner Write with "Improved Microsoft Word file
      translation", I wasted a lot of time downloading and fussing. So much
      for "improved"......... Mariner Write yielded two blank pages, not
      even the text as offered by Text Edit.

      No....... after the demo I did NOT buy. : - (

      As for MLP, don't get me started re the money I have wasted chasing
      this 'rainbow'.
      Best,
      Bill

      On Mar 27, 2004, at 4:41 PM, Steve Kane wrote:

      > Today I had to open a MS Word document. It contained only one item: a
      > drawing.


      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:47:49 -0500
      From: Sheila F. Jones <sheila [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      Once I get finished doing my taxes online today, I'll try this Rebuild
      Desktop angle. I would think it has a Restart ending, so I'll wait
      until I'm offline. Wow, there's so much I don't know about the Mac.
      It's such a different world from Windows.

      Sheila


      On Mar 28, 2004, at 5:33 PM, whunter wrote:

      Possibly I goofed, but understood that she had one of the new eMacs
      which does not boot in OS 9. (Classic only.) or would have offered the
      generic desktop rebuild, etc.

      OTOH, you just reminded me of a REBUILD option in the Classic Pane of
      OS X.

      Shelia, go: OS X>System Preferences>Classic>Advanced (tab)> Rebuild
      Desktop - - at the bottom of the window. Especially since you once had
      it working, this is a specific SW problem unique to you. This option
      is a lot easier and quicker than the other suggestions offered.
      Thanks Bob.
      Bill


      On Mar 28, 2004, at 4:59 PM, Robert J. Widenmann wrote:

      > That problem has also plagued me a couple of times, likewise with
      > 9.2.2. and an Epson 740. I was generally able to solve it by simply
      > rebuilding the desktop or, if that failed to work, by turning Disk
      > warrior loose on the desktop file. The problem has not emerged for
      > some time now, but I cannot explain why.
      >
      > Bob

      ________________________________________________________________________
      ____
      To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change options, visit
      <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!






      Sheila :-)


      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:51:52 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      This was previously mentioned and perhaps was lost in the exchanges.
      You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT - - after she does a Classic Desktop
      Rebuild. I own the latest TT 4, but expensive and not what she needs to
      solve this problem. Factory supplied disks will do, if nothing else
      starting with the Disk First Aid in the Utility of the Apple menu of
      the bootable installation disk.
      Shelia, do you know the disks we reference?

      Bill

      P.S. Geoff wish that our HP driver issues were this simple.....

      On Mar 28, 2004, at 5:38 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

      > What about booting into, and running the hardware test CD that
      > should've been included with the computer, along with the restore
      > disks? Does this test the USB?


      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:09:38 -0500
      From: Sheila F. Jones <sheila [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      Bill,

      I have a couple of disks that came with my eMac:

      --Apple Hardware Test
      --eMac Software Install and Restore 1, 2, and 3

      One of those?

      Sheila


      On Mar 28, 2004, at 5:51 PM, whunter wrote:

      This was previously mentioned and perhaps was lost in the exchanges.
      You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT - - after she does a Classic Desktop
      Rebuild. I own the latest TT 4, but expensive and not what she needs to
      solve this problem. Factory supplied disks will do, if nothing else
      starting with the Disk First Aid in the Utility of the Apple menu of
      the bootable installation disk.
      Shelia, do you know the disks we reference?

      Bill

      P.S. Geoff wish that our HP driver issues were this simple.....

      On Mar 28, 2004, at 5:38 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

      > What about booting into, and running the hardware test CD that
      > should've been included with the computer, along with the restore
      > disks? Does this test the USB?

      ________________________________________________________________________
      ____
      To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change options, visit
      <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!






      Sheila :-)


      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:26:48 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      "You got the right one baby......"

      1. Do the Desktop Rebuild for Classic in the OS X System Preferences
      pane. Will take circa thirty seconds.
      2. Test printer.
      3. If not solved, insert the "eMac Software Install......." and
      reboot. You may need to hold down the option key with reboot to get
      the computer to boot from the CDROM, not the harddrive. Be
      patient........... booting from the disk is S-L-O-W. When up, go to
      the Apple menu and open Disk Utility. Select disk first aid REPAIR and
      let it do it's thing. Then do a repair permissions with this same
      program. When finished, reboot which should eject the disk and boot on
      your Hard Drive. Test printer.
      4. All of the above fail........ Insert Apple Hardware Test Disk
      and boot on it with the option key depressed. Run all of the routines
      WITH THE PRINTER CONNECTED.

      Luck,
      Bill


      On Mar 28, 2004, at 6:09 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > I have a couple of disks that came with my eMac:
      >
      > --Apple Hardware Test
      > --eMac Software Install and Restore 1, 2, and 3
      >
      > One of those?
      >
      > Sheila
      >
      >
      > On Mar 28, 2004, at 5:51 PM, whunter wrote:
      >
      > This was previously mentioned and perhaps was lost in the exchanges.
      > You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT - - after she does a Classic Desktop
      > Rebuild. I own the latest TT 4, but expensive and not what she needs
      > to solve this problem. Factory supplied disks will do, if nothing
      > else starting with the Disk First Aid in the Utility of the Apple menu
      > of the bootable installation disk.
      > Shelia, do you know the disks we reference?
      >
      > Bill
      >
      > P.S. Geoff wish that our HP driver issues were this simple.....
      >
      > On Mar 28, 2004, at 5:38 PM, Rick Albright wrote:
      >
      >> What about booting into, and running the hardware test CD that
      >> should've been included with the computer, along with the restore
      >> disks? Does this test the USB?
      >
      >
      _______________________________________________________________________
      > _____
      > To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change options, visit
      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > Sheila :-)
      >
      >
      _______________________________________________________________________
      > _____
      > To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change options, visit
      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > _____________________________________________________
      > This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm
      >


      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:30:05 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      P.S. If you get to #4 and find a problem with the Printer CONNECTED,
      disconnect the printer and run the Hardware Test again. This is in
      case of the unlikely, a unique problem with your USB which only
      surfaces in Classic. However, remain convinced you have a Software
      problem, not Hardware.


      On Mar 28, 2004, at 6:09 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > I have a couple of disks that came with my eMac:
      >
      > --Apple Hardware Test
      > --eMac Software Install and Restore 1, 2, and 3
      >
      > One of those?
      >
      > Sheila


      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:48:56 -0500
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Desktop Rebuild in Classic

      On 3/28/04 6:26 PM, "whunter" <whunterjr [email address protected]wrote:

      > 1. Do the Desktop Rebuild for Classic in the OS X System Preferences
      > pane. Will take circa thirty seconds.

      Is it OK to run TechTool Pro in Classic to do this?


      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 20:19:36 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: Desktop
      Rebuild in Classic


      On Mar 28, 2004, at 6:48 PM, Matthew Cope wrote:

      >
      >> 1. Do the Desktop Rebuild for Classic in the OS X System Preferences
      >> pane. Will take circa thirty seconds.
      >
      > Is it OK to run TechTool Pro in Classic to do this?



      One and the same, but don't recall that TTP has the isolated Rebuild
      Desktop in the routine. My only reaction is why take 30 min or more
      to do with TTP what you can do from the Classic Pane in 30 seconds.

      Additional: For OS X, just do a command line at startup.
      fsck -y

      Or, if you have Journaling enabled use
      fsck -f

      The issue for Shelia is Classic. Without going into the issues, it is
      difficult to run TTP to service Classic only when you need to be booted
      in something else. The Classic Pane in OS X System Preferences does it
      faster than I can email.

      Bottomline: I really like TTP; it has saved my buns more than once in
      OS 9 days. With all of the built-in checking in UNIX plus the
      excellence of the OS X Disk Utility, I have not used TTP for months,
      maybe a year. TTP did have one useful function, cleaning up
      fragmentation which had exceeded reasonable limits. Now, it is my
      understanding that Panther has defrag built-in. It is much quicker to
      use the utilities in OS X. Also, with a partitioned HD, I have a basic
      minimum OS installed on one partition for easy booting from the Option
      key. Whence booted, I can run Apple Disk First Aid Repair and
      Permissions repair on any of the other volumes on the HD free of
      conflict. No, not ready to discard my TTP disk, but my comfort zone
      with built-in functions of OS X is reassuring. Incidentally: I have
      a small utility "Macaroni" installed to run the UNIX maintenance
      routines in the background while booted rather than at circa 3a.m. as
      programmed into the UNIX core. This is just a compulsive
      'housekeeping' measure on my part since I don't leave computers running
      24/7. There are some good manual routines available such as
      "Cocktail", but in the swirl of life, forget to use on a regular basis.
      'Macaroni' is not service with anything unique, just an infallible
      computer maid to run what is already embedded in that wonderful
      creation, Panther. :-

      For the benefit of the next generation: NOTHING, repeat NOTHING beats
      backup. All of us argumentative types will concur on this single
      point. Backup........

      Best,

      Bill

      >


      ------------------------------
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.