WP-L-Digest 2004/03/28 #932

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 02:10:14 -0500
      From: Robert Trujillo <trujillo [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Word Drawing Object to pict or gif via NeoOffice/J

      >The last rumor that I heard said that Apple is holding that product in
      >abeyance in case Microsoft pulls Office from the Mac market.
      Apparently
      >the thinking is that it is better for Apple to have Microsoft Office a
      >strong player on the Mac platform. And I agree. Only Microsoft can
      >assure full compatibility with the Windows versions of Word and Excel.
      >This is especially a concern now that Word will be switching to a
      >*patented* proprietary XML format.
      >
      >See:
      >http://news.com.com/2100-1013_3-5146581.html

      Microsoft is not patenting a proprietary XML format, but rather the
      method by which an application parses the XML code used in the Word
      document format. Essentially Microsoft intends to patent the method by
      which Word interprets Microsoft's XML schema. Whether or not that is
      permissible, I do not know. If the patent is a blanket covering of all
      methods of interpreting their XML schema, then other applications are
      dead in the water. IF it is just ONE method, then other applications
      will be able to access Word documents.

      I haven't read the patent, thus I do not know the mind of Microsoft on
      this one. I remember an article posted on slashdot.org which stated
      Microsoft intended to patent XML! This was not the case. After reading
      the patent, the patent stated clearly that ms was patenting some
      procedure that used XML.

      This patent may be geared toward Office's latest feature of digital
      signatures. The idea is that noone can have access to a Word document
      that requires a digital signature. The feature is only available in the
      latest version of Office and both parties need to be using that
      version. Thus someone using, e.g., Open Office would not be able to
      access a Word document that used digital signatures but if their were
      using MS Office, they could.

      bob

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:32:39 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Translation, Xshelf and duhh

      Would like to be of more help, but concur with Cope, your report is
      unusual. XShelf is a simple app which works flawlessly for me and for
      friends who use. Previously, you mentioned Maestro. I have no
      experience with this SW, but it sounds like the type of utility which
      might conflict. Probably the best path for trouble shooting would be
      to remove both, then install a fresh copy of XShelf. If this works,
      you can add Maestro to see if the conflict recurs. You will need to
      delete any Library or Preference files associated with either program -
      - check via finder search, and visit /Users/
      yourusername/Library/Caches/. (You could try first deleting the
      Library Pref files associated with Maestro and testing XShelf.)

      Preferences for XShelf are in the Menu or appear when the XShelf window
      is R-clicked and simple. Assume you have the popup delay time
      reasonably short. Suspect a SW conflict. Sorry to be less than
      specific.
      Bill

      On Mar 28, 2004, at 12:13 AM, Madwen wrote:

      > Yes, it stays open. Of course I drag the cursor off the screen. Like
      > I said (look again), it works after I click on Xshelf in the dock but
      > not before. The app is open the entire time. But each time I switch
      > apps, the "shelf" refuses to appear (upon dragging the cursor to the
      > edge of the screen) unless I first click on Xshelf in the dock. Then
      > it continues to work until I switch to another application. I already
      > visited the prefs and the defaults seemed fine. Did you have some
      > particular pref in mind?
      >
      > On Mar 27, 2004, at 7:52 PM, whunter wrote:
      >
      >> Hmmmm. Once it is OPEN (i.e. black triangle under it in the Dock)
      >> it should stay open at all times until shut down. Trust you have to
      >> drag the cursor off the edge of the screen to see the window which is
      >> normally hidden. I have XShelf auto-load at startup (a very small
      >> program) thus it is always available in the background.
      >>
      >> Just re-read your note. You must drag the item to be stored to the
      >> very edge being used, NOT 'towards' it.
      >> Try again and let us know if this solved.
      >> SET THE XSHELF PREFERENCES!!!
      >> Bill

      >>> Seems like a really cool app. I DLd it and activated it but I can
      >>> only get it to work by selecting it in the dock after I have
      >>> switched between apps. Then it will work again until the next time
      >>> I switch to another program and then I have to select it in the dock
      >>> again. I am running 10.3.3. Am I doing something wrong or is that
      >>> the way it always works? I had expected it to pop up whenever you
      >>> drag something toward it, but first you have to select it in the
      >>> doc.
      >>>
      >>> Madeleine

      >> <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 14:56:33 +0100
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Re: Translation, Xshelf

      Thanks to Bill for pointing out xshelf - it is straightforward, but
      it doesn't bring across footnotes - otherwise it preserves formatting.

      Geoff

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:23:30 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Translation, Xshelf

      Geoff -

      Perfection is always a perambulation of the imperfect......... 8- ))

      Did you try a 'Cmd-A' or Select All prior to drag to see if you could
      pick up the footnotes. Most likely this is a selection problem, not
      XShelf which is just a 'dumb' memory allocation routine.

      While at it on another note: a marketing newsletter for the latest
      (upgraded) version of Mariner Write appeared in my mailbox this a.m.
      At sub $50, I might finally 'bite'. Anyone wanting a copy of the
      special offer forwarded, please contact me offline.
      Best,
      Bill

      On Mar 28, 2004, at 8:56 AM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

      > Thanks to Bill for pointing out xshelf - it is straightforward, but it
      > doesn't bring across footnotes - otherwise it preserves formatting.
      >
      > Geoff

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 10:23:06 -0600
      From: Madwen <madwen [email address protected]Subject: Re: Translation,
      Xshelf and duhh

      On Mar 28, 2004, at 7:32 AM, whunter wrote:

      <snip>

      > ... I have no experience with this SW, but it sounds like the type of
      > utility which might conflict.

      Yep, I already said that.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 14:14:10 -0500
      From: Steve Driska <driska [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word
      Drawing Object to pict or gif via NeoOffice/J

      >Randy,
      >
      >I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. I *WAS* on the verge of going
      with
      >MS office but will wait a few months now. I am (and will always be) a
      WP
      >person. But I need a word processing program soon. I am limping along
      on
      >3.5E and can honestly say its pails in comparison to the OS/2 version.
      >
      >Yes I ran OS/2 and probably still would but for a few things. One
      thing that
      >beats the pants off of a MAC was OS/2. I know thats hearasy on a MAC
      list
      >but it did work and it *NEVER* crashed. My OS9 I have to boot every
      few
      >days or it crashes. never mind the 6++ crashes a day EUDORA caused me.
      >
      >Ed

      I know this is off topic but if Eudora crashes a lot on OS 9 I would
      suggest moving some of the mail in the Inbox to another mailbox, say
      create Inbox 2003 for the mail you received in that year, etc.. I
      believe Eudora loads the contents of the In box, the Out box, and the
      Trash mailbox into memory when it runs, so it can require more memory
      than you would think it should.

      Hope this helps,
      Steve
      --
      Steven P. Driska, Ph.D. driska [email address protected]215)
      707-3283

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:18:24 -0800
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]Subject: Other
      Word Processers have WP file I/O yet? MacLink+ how good?

      I mean outside of using MacLink Plus - and, what can MacLink Plus do
      and not do?

      Thank You!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:22:13 -0600
      From: Madwen <madwen [email address protected]Subject: Re: Translation,
      Xshelf

      On Mar 28, 2004, at 7:56 AM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

      > Thanks to Bill for pointing out xshelf - it is straightforward, but it
      > doesn't bring across footnotes - otherwise it preserves formatting.
      >
      > Geoff

      Indeed yes, even despite the little problem I have with it, it is a
      fabulous little app that saves a lot of time.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:32:43 -0600
      From: Steve Kane <skane [email address protected]Subject: Re: OS
      X-native word processors-NeoOffice/J [was Re: X]

      On Mar 26, 2004, at 7:41 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
      > I am in touch with a developer who tells me that *next week* he will
      be
      > releasing a word processor that is very Mac-like, and which is quite
      > close to WP in features. It won't be free like NeoOffice/J, but it
      > will
      > be very reasonably priced compared to WP or Word. I'll let you all
      > know
      > when it is released.

      So long as the announcement isn't made on Thursday. ;-)

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:49:21 -0600
      From: Ed Gould <edgould [email address protected]Subject: Re: Word
      Drawing Object to pict or gif via NeoOffice/J

      on 3/28/04 1:14 PM, Steve Driska at driska [email address
      protected]wrote:

      >> Randy,
      >>
      >> I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. I *WAS* on the verge of
      going with
      >> MS office but will wait a few months now. I am (and will always be)
      a WP
      >> person. But I need a word processing program soon. I am limping
      along on
      >> 3.5E and can honestly say its pails in comparison to the OS/2
      version.

      >> Yes I ran OS/2 and probably still would but for a few things. One
      thing that
      >> beats the pants off of a MAC was OS/2. I know thats hearasy on a MAC
      list
      >> but it did work and it *NEVER* crashed. My OS9 I have to boot every
      few
      >> days or it crashes. never mind the 6++ crashes a day EUDORA caused
      me.

      >> Ed
      >

      > I know this is off topic but if Eudora crashes a lot on OS 9 I would
      > suggest moving some of the mail in the Inbox to another mailbox, say
      > create Inbox 2003 for the mail you received in that year, etc.. I
      > believe Eudora loads the contents of the In box, the Out box, and the
      > Trash mailbox into memory when it runs, so it can require more memory
      > than you would think it should.

      Steve,

      I was in contact with EUDORA TS and they said that it would take a
      redesign
      of EUDORA to stop it from crashing. It was low on their priority list.

      That is when I decided to dump it .. But after a year or so on OE It
      doesn't
      crash (as often) but if it does, it doesn't take the whole machine down
      with
      it (like Eudora did)..

      BTW I am on 9.2.2 and the stability is still so so.

      Ed

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 14:49:35 -0600
      From: Steve Kane <skane [email address protected]Subject: Re: Other

      On Mar 28, 2004, at 1:18 PM, Harald Sundt wrote:

      > I mean outside of using MacLink Plus - and, what can MacLink Plus do
      > and not do?

      I have been using MacLinkPlus Deluxe for several years and several
      upgrades. Generally, I have been able to exchange simple documents with
      people who use other, mostly microsoft, products. It is true that
      applications try to be able to import and export ms documents, but I
      don't keep every app up to the minute all the time and if ms revs their
      apps it usually means a change of file format which usually breaks
      import/export routines. So, keeping MacLinkPlus Deluxe up to date
      allows me to use older programs, especially WordPerfect 3.5 which
      doesn't know about more recent ms file formats.
      This page, if the url is consistent, shows the gory details of what MLP
      supports in translation:
      MacLinkPlus Deluxe: Convert and Decode Windows Files On Your Mac
      <http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/mlp_support.html>
      Sometimes an application's import/export is better than MLP, sometimes
      MLP is better. I usually try both techniques. If you have any influence
      with the source of the file it is helpful if they save it for you in a
      few earlier simpler versions of the program, as well as the current
      program version, provided doing so doesn't alter some important aspect
      of the document. That gives you more files to experiment with.

      As I have recently posted, MPL is unable to translate MS "Word Drawing
      Objects". This was a problem when I need to open a ms word document
      that contained a flow chart drawn within ms word. MPL could see nothing
      on the page at all. Apple's TextEdit could see the text on the page
      that was within the flow chart objects (mostly shaded boxes) but this
      was little help since it did not provide any meaning, just a string of
      words. NeoOffice/J opened it like it was born to do it...oh! But I
      could find no way of exporting the doc out of NeoOffice/J that was of
      any help to me, though I could copy the flow chart to the clipboard as
      a graphic, but then the text was no longer editable as it would be in
      ms word or no/j.

      A thing I have learned about file translation is always, the moment you
      open a translated file in your application do a "save as" to a
      different name in your application's native file format before making
      any changes. This does two things; it leaves the original file
      untouched and--I don't know why this is so--it makes your application
      more "comfortable" with the file and less likely to crash or corrupt
      your doc as you make changes.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:14:34 -0500
      From: Sheila F. Jones <sheila [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      Rick,
      Thanks for the thought. I am, however, already running the printer to a
      direct USB port on the side of my eMac. One more hopeful solution
      dashed!

      Sheila

      On Mar 26, 2004, at 8:50 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

      Apologies for coming late to this topic thread, but I do recall having
      a problem getting an iMac to recognize an Epson 740 printer. It was
      going thru an A/B switch at the time (at my wife's school). Reloaded
      drivers, etc., to no avail. The solution was to plug the printer into
      the USB port directly and wait for it to be recognized. Others have
      commented on this. I should add, though, that if memory serves, I had
      to plug it into one of the direct USB slots on the side of the
      iMac--NOT one in the keyboard; it wouldn't show up if I did this. (As
      an aside, I also had an Iomega CD burner one time of the USB variety
      and they were very explicit about connecting it directly and not thru
      any kind of hub or via the keyboard).

      Of course, that machine didn't even have OSX loaded, so this response
      may be irrelevant (and in any case, it doesn't explain how OSX would
      recognize the printer and Classic not). But no one seems to have
      mentioned cabling it to a direct port (if that's the term) so I thought
      I'd pass that along).
      Rick Albright

      On Thursday, March 25, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Steven P. Driska wrote:

      > Sheila,
      >
      > I had this problem with an Epson stylus 740 running OS 9.2.2 (before I
      > installed OS 10.2). Apple system profiler would still say the printer
      > was there on the USB network, but it wouldn't respond.
      >
      > I would have to remove the USB plug from the printer or the hub, then
      > plug it back in. This must force the USB to reconfigure itself (you
      > hear some disk activity). Then you can see the USB connection in the
      > chooser, and you can print again. The nice thing about USB is that
      > you can do this with the computer running.
      >
      > I never did figure out what caused this behavior in the first place.
      >
      > Good luck,
      > -Steve
      >

      >> I am using an Epson Stylus CX3200 (rebated printer when I purchased
      >> my home eMac at Christmas). For a long time I didn't even try to use
      >> WordPerfect (which I found because of all of you and signed up for
      >> this list) because I wasn't able to choose my printer. But finally,
      >> after installing the OS9 printer information I hadn't done before
      >> (real novice!), I was able to choose the printer information and the
      >> USB information which was then showing. I printed several things from
      >> WordPerfect. But now it's back to where it was before -- the printer
      >> is showing in Chooser, but the USB/port information is blank. So I
      >> can't print. It's not just WordPerfect. It's anything in Classic. I
      >> really want to use WordPerfect. Nothing else compares. What have I
      >> forgotten?
      >>

      >> On Mar 24, 2004, at 10:18 PM, whunter wrote:
      >>
      >>> With Classic / WP open, go to Chooser in the Apple menu, select the
      >>> printer and setup just as you would if booted in OS 9. USB
      >>> connection remains functional and should not be an issue. You
      >>> don't say what kind of printer or indicate whether you have an OS 9
      >>> driver installed. If this does not work, send more info.

      >> <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!
      >

      > --
      >
      > Steven P. Driska, Ph.D. driska [email address
      protected]Physiology Department, Temple Univ. Medical School,
      Philadelphia, PA
      > 19140 USA
      > (215) 707-3283

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!