WP-L-Digest 2004/03/27 #929

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:07:01 -0500
      From: Sheila F. Jones <sheila [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      Check Apple's site and found information regarding my printer talked
      only of drivers that were loaded by default with 10.3. Mine is one of
      them. That looks like the latest for CX3200. So I already have that. I
      didn't find anything about actual drivers that could be downloaded
      there. Looking in the wrong area? I did a search in Support/Downloads.

      The Epson site has downloads dating after I received my printer. I'm
      trying those, after I upgrade to 10.3.3.

      Sheila

      On Mar 26, 2004, at 9:20 AM, whunter wrote:

      > - Suggest you download any new driver for the Epson from the Apple
      > site - - this will be the most recent and tested. The Epson download
      > might be OK, but the Apple Download site virtually always posts the
      > most recent.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:29:16 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      Have been there dun dat.......... The "date" on any site is the
      posting date which does not necessarily reflect version OR testing.
      10.3.3 should include the latest Epson drivers. Did you review the
      posts at MacInTouch?? This is a good site which just keeps getting
      better.

      Bill
      On Mar 26, 2004, at 10:07 AM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > The Epson site has downloads dating after I received my printer. I'm
      > trying those, after I upgrade to 10.3.3.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:50:12 -0500
      From: Sheila F. Jones <sheila [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      The one thing I gleaned from MacInTouch was to delete the printer and
      add it again. That's a thought -- after upgrading to 10.3.3. So you're
      saying I shouldn't use the upgrades from Epson's site because they
      would already be on 10.3.3?

      On Mar 26, 2004, at 10:29 AM, whunter wrote:

      > Did you review the posts at MacInTouch??

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:52:07 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      Just took time to review posts on MacInTouch. One might offer your
      solution - - an oft seen grinch solved with a simple deletion, then
      reinstall of printer.
      Cookbook:

      Open in OS X
      Open Applications>Utilities>Printer Setup Utility
      Delete Epson Printer from Printer list.
      Restart.
      Back to Printer Setup Utility and setup the printer for OS X.
      Test.
      If working, Open Classic and try to setup under Chooser.

      Bill

      On Mar 26, 2004, at 10:07 AM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > Check Apple's site and found information regarding my printer talked
      > only of drivers that were loaded by default with 10.3. Mine is one of
      > them.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:53:03 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      CORRECT!!!

      On Mar 26, 2004, at 10:50 AM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > So you're saying I shouldn't use the upgrades from Epson's site
      > because they would already be on 10.3.3?

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:51:46 -0800
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]Subject: Fonts and
      running WP3.5e in Panther

      I am running WordPerfect3.5e in Max OS X Panther on a G-4.

      I have copied my favorite fonts to the "FontBook" on my Mac OS 10.3.3
      partition.

      NEVERTHELESS -

      WordPerfect has VAST swatches of text that seems "invisible" unless I
      Select All and change font to one that is common like Times.

      Several fonts on WP's drop down menu are INVISIBLE band on white.

      Several fonts on WP's drop down menu are MISSING - even though they
      show up on the Appleworks Menu if they are ones copied to the
      FontBook. (like my Hebrew Font and my Enochian Font)

      If I do a RTF save in WP3.5e of my book length files, the beach ball
      turns forever and naught happens.

      If I use MacLink + 14 to convert to Appleworks my TABLES turn to
      graphics.

      I want to make WordPerfect work completely. If not, at least make
      WordPerfect work sufficiently.

      Please excuse me if I am asking the people on this list to repeat
      answers.

      Yours

      Hal

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:35:57 +0000
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Re: Fonts and running WP3.5e in Panther

      Hal

      For WP to see fonts and be able to use them, they must be in the
      Fonts folder in the System Folder that Classic uses when it starts up
      as far as I'm aware. Sorry, no advice on the other issues because I
      have no experience in that regard.

      Geoff

      >I am running WordPerfect3.5e in Max OS X Panther on a G-4.
      >
      >I have copied my favorite fonts to the "FontBook" on my Mac OS
      >10.3.3 partition.
      >
      >NEVERTHELESS -
      >
      >WordPerfect has VAST swatches of text that seems "invisible" unless
      >I Select All and change font to one that is common like Times.
      >
      >Several fonts on WP's drop down menu are INVISIBLE band on white.
      >
      >Several fonts on WP's drop down menu are MISSING - even though they
      >show up on the Appleworks Menu if they are ones copied to the
      >FontBook. (like my Hebrew Font and my Enochian Font)
      >
      >If I do a RTF save in WP3.5e of my book length files, the beach ball
      >turns forever and naught happens.
      >
      >If I use MacLink + 14 to convert to Appleworks my TABLES turn to
      graphics.

      >I want to make WordPerfect work completely. If not, at least make
      >WordPerfect work sufficiently.
      >
      >Please excuse me if I am asking the people on this list to repeat
      answers.

      >Yours
      >
      >Hal

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:49:35 -0500
      From: Smokey Ardisson <alqahira [email address protected]Subject: OS
      X-native word processors-NeoOffice/J [was Re: X]

      I'll make this brief since this really a WP list...

      I still do the majority of my word processing work in WP but recently
      had to tackle a project where I was getting (and then needing to
      send) lots of MSWD files and so have been using NeoOffice/J, which
      Randy mentioned in his earlier post. I agree with everything he said
      except one point:

      >Unfortunately, like
      >the X11 version, you still can't cut and paste anything but text
      between
      >[NeoOffice/J] and other MacOS X applications.

      This was actually fixed in one of the 0.7.x releases (current version
      is 0.8.2 and lacks mainly drag-and-drop support in terms of app
      functionality).

      I don't like the feel and behavior of the SW--because I don't like
      the feel and behavior of MS Office and StarOffice/OpenOffice.org and
      their descendants were designed to emulate the feel and behavior of
      MS Office--but if you need a MS Office compatible suite, it's great.

      Fingers still crossed, however futilely, that WP-Mac will rise like a
      phoenix one day and that we won't be stuck with either clones of
      Windows programs or old, Classic-only Mac apps. Until then, WP-Mac
      is still my wp of choice!

      Best,
      Smokey
      --
      Smokey Ardisson
      Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:41:55 -0800
      From: Randy B. Singer <randy [email address protected]Subject: Re: OS

      Smokey Ardisson said:

      >I still do the majority of my word processing work in WP but recently
      >had to tackle a project where I was getting (and then needing to
      >send) lots of MSWD files and so have been using NeoOffice/J, which
      >Randy mentioned in his earlier post. I agree with everything he said
      >I don't like the feel and behavior of the SW--because I don't like
      >the feel and behavior of MS Office and StarOffice/OpenOffice.org and
      >their descendants were designed to emulate the feel and behavior of
      >MS Office--but if you need a MS Office compatible suite, it's great.

      I'm afraid that nothing other that WordPerfect is going to look and feel
      like WordPerfect. But for a *free* word processor, NeoOffice/J is
      pretty
      handy, isn't it? It's nice to hear that they have been steadily
      improving it. Thanks!

      I am in touch with a developer who tells me that *next week* he will be
      releasing a word processor that is very Mac-like, and which is quite
      close to WP in features. It won't be free like NeoOffice/J, but it will
      be very reasonably priced compared to WP or Word. I'll let you all know
      when it is released.

      Randy B. Singer

      Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went
      nuts. - Steven Wright

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:50:30 -0500
      From: Rick Albright <logres [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      Apologies for coming late to this topic thread, but I do recall having
      a problem getting an iMac to recognize an Epson 740 printer. It was
      going thru an A/B switch at the time (at my wife's school). Reloaded
      drivers, etc., to no avail. The solution was to plug the printer into
      the USB port directly and wait for it to be recognized. Others have
      commented on this. I should add, though, that if memory serves, I had
      to plug it into one of the direct USB slots on the side of the
      iMac--NOT one in the keyboard; it wouldn't show up if I did this. (As
      an aside, I also had an Iomega CD burner one time of the USB variety
      and they were very explicit about connecting it directly and not thru
      any kind of hub or via the keyboard).

      Of course, that machine didn't even have OSX loaded, so this response
      may be irrelevant (and in any case, it doesn't explain how OSX would
      recognize the printer and Classic not). But no one seems to have
      mentioned cabling it to a direct port (if that's the term) so I thought
      I'd pass that along).
      Rick Albright

      On Thursday, March 25, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Steven P. Driska wrote:

      > Sheila,
      >
      > I had this problem with an Epson stylus 740 running OS 9.2.2 (before I
      > installed OS 10.2). Apple system profiler would still say the printer
      > was there on the USB network, but it wouldn't respond.
      >
      > I would have to remove the USB plug from the printer or the hub, then
      > plug it back in. This must force the USB to reconfigure itself (you
      > hear some disk activity). Then you can see the USB connection in the
      > chooser, and you can print again. The nice thing about USB is that
      > you can do this with the computer running.
      >
      > I never did figure out what caused this behavior in the first place.
      >
      > Good luck,
      > -Steve
      >

      >> I am using an Epson Stylus CX3200 (rebated printer when I purchased
      >> my home eMac at Christmas). For a long time I didn't even try to use
      >> WordPerfect (which I found because of all of you and signed up for
      >> this list) because I wasn't able to choose my printer. But finally,
      >> after installing the OS9 printer information I hadn't done before
      >> (real novice!), I was able to choose the printer information and the
      >> USB information which was then showing. I printed several things from
      >> WordPerfect. But now it's back to where it was before -- the printer
      >> is showing in Chooser, but the USB/port information is blank. So I
      >> can't print. It's not just WordPerfect. It's anything in Classic. I
      >> really want to use WordPerfect. Nothing else compares. What have I
      >> forgotten?
      >>

      >> On Mar 24, 2004, at 10:18 PM, whunter wrote:
      >>
      >>> With Classic / WP open, go to Chooser in the Apple menu, select the
      >>> printer and setup just as you would if booted in OS 9. USB
      >>> connection remains functional and should not be an issue. You
      >>> don't say what kind of printer or indicate whether you have an OS 9
      >>> driver installed. If this does not work, send more info.

      >> <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!
      >

      > --
      >
      > Steven P. Driska, Ph.D. driska [email address
      protected]Physiology Department, Temple Univ. Medical School,
      Philadelphia, PA
      > 19140 USA
      > (215) 707-3283

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:03:28 -0500
      From: Rick Albright <logres [email address protected]Subject: Re: X
      (Mellel)

      On Thursday, March 25, 2004, at 06:57 PM, Steve Kane wrote:

      > I exchanged a few emails with a someone at Redlex (Mellel). He said
      > outlining would come in version 1.7.2 (I think it is currently at
      > 1.7.01). He something else intriguing in response to a concern I
      > mentioned about import and export ability and the ability to exchange
      > files with you know who. He said: "We plan to adopt a file format
      > [that] will enable doing so [ie import/export and file conversion]
      > much more easily than now (XML based format) so I would expect to see
      > several convertors working well with Mellel in the not so distant
      > future." Anyway, you are much more articulate than I, and Redlex seems
      > very receptive to suggestions and feedback. I exchanged emails with
      > someone named Ori who is listed in the Mellel credits for Concept
      > Design and Documentation. Perhaps you could email him and tell him
      > what you can accomplish in Mac WP, what you like about it, and what
      > you would wish to see in Mellel. His email is: redlex [email address
      protected]I bought a license for Mellel, in part because I was feeling
      a little
      altruistic at the time, the price was reasonable and they seemed very
      responsive. How responsive? I reported a minor bug with endnotes not
      showing up correctly, and within 2 days I'd received an email
      acknowledgment from one of the developers and a link to download a new
      version that fixed the problem. We don't see that level of support very
      often any more (though as long as I'm giving out kudos, the developer
      of SpamSieve added support for a function under OS 10.2.8 that had
      previously only been available under 10.3, when I asked a question
      about it).

      At present Mellel does not have a number of features that we know and
      love in WordPerfect. It's good to know that import/export capabilities
      are relatively high on their priorities, because to date import/export
      is limited to RTF format and that file format has some limitations.
      However, I'm impressed with the program so far, which includes some
      features that other programs don't, and which implements others in a
      refreshing way, and I'm even more impressed with the development team.
      It hasn't replaced WP on my hard drive by any means, but it shows great
      promise.
      Rick Albright

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:33:53 -0800
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Fonts/WP3.5e/Panther- ATM doesn't function?

      I am using ATM to locate fonts in a folder outside the System Folder in
      OS 9.

      WP maybe doesn't "see" them in Panther.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 13
      Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:51:25 -0800
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]Subject: FONT
      Answer: ATM loses FONT awareness of fonts outside SysFolder

      When running System 9 in Panther, WordPerfect loses the awareness on
      fonts placed outside the system folder that ATM provides.

      The answer - copy ALL NEEDED fonts BOTH into the system folder of MAc
      OS 9 and copy them to the System 10 Fontbook.

      Thanks! I hope I was able to help some else.

      Hal

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 14
      Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:10:26 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Fonts/WP3.5e/Panther- ATM doesn't function?

      You can duplicate the fonts in ATM desired for WP and move the
      duplicate to the WP Font file or the System Font folder. WP does not
      use the OS X fonts. (Print drive might use in subsequent function
      under OS X, but not if printed from the Classic print driver.)
      Bill

      On Mar 27, 2004, at 11:33 AM, Harald Sundt wrote:

      > I am using ATM to locate fonts in a folder outside the System Folder
      > in OS 9.
      >

      > WP maybe doesn't "see" them in Panther.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 15
      Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:36:56 -0500
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Copy & Paste from Word OSX

      Just upgraded to Panther from Sys 9 and I find that when I try to copy
      and
      paste text from Word file in OSX to WP in Classic, what I get inserted
      is a
      Figure Box, not text.

      Is this abnormality normal?

      Is there a workaround?

      TIA

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 16
      Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:58:55 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: Copy &
      Paste from Word OSX

      Quick of my short since online because I intentionally do not have Word
      on my home computer!! It is a MSism. Save the Word doc as RTF then
      try the C & P. If that doesn't work, highlight the text in the open
      Word doc and drag to an open Text Edit doc window (OS X application
      which comes with Panther) and save. Now you will be able to C & P to
      WP. This can be done, but can not test my 'Instructions' before
      sending. (OS X Text Edit has become my de facto 'Translator'.)

      Per issues indirectly referenced by Sundt this a.m., you may need a
      font change which is easily done in Text Edit. Bottomline to font
      issue: Most OS 9 / Classic fonts can be duplicated and moved to OS X
      for use, but the reverse, especially the 'tt' fonts will not work in OS
      9/ Classic. To my knowledge, there is no way for WP to access fonts
      stored in OS X. Place to store fonts for WP in OS 9 / Classic is the
      standard System Font folder.
      Best,
      Bill

      On Mar 27, 2004, at 12:36 PM, Matthew Cope wrote:

      > Is this abnormality normal?
      Is anything abnormally normal in an MS app??????
      :- O

      > Is there a workaround?
      See above.