WP-L-Digest 2004/03/26 #928

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:59:05 -0600
      From: Cydne Chartier <cydchalice [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      Not necessarily. It used to happen to me quite often when I using an
      Epson 740 under OS 9.2. It seems to be just a quirk that unplugging
      and replugging fixes, temporarily. No problems with OS 10.2 and a
      Canon i450.

      Cydne

      On Thursday, March 25, 2004, at 01:47 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
      wrote:

      > That sounds Like a USB Cable issue either one end or the other is not
      > connected good or the USB Cable is Bad.
      >
      > "Sheila F.Jones" wrote:
      >>
      >> My printer does show up in the Chooser. In fact, when I hit print in
      >> WordPerfect or anything else in Classic the printer dialog box comes
      >> up. But as soon as I hit print in that dialog box another box comes
      up
      >> that says something like it can't find the printer (not sure about
      >> that
      >> until I see it tonight at home). The only thing that I'm seeing that
      >> seems off is not having the USB/port information showing up in
      >> Chooser.
      >> But I will try the cord. I'd actually had that thought the other
      >> night.
      >> But if it would be a cord problem, how can I print in OSX?
      >>
      >> Sheila F. Jones
      >>
      >> On Mar 25, 2004, at 1:33 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
      >>
      >>> If you are in Classic/OS9 Chooser you should see your printer
      listed.
      >>> (Access through the Classic's Apple menu). If not you have for some
      >>> reason
      >>> deleted the Chooser extension (Driver file) for that printer.
      >>> Reinstall the
      >>> print Driver. If on the other hand you see your printer listed
      choose
      >>> it
      >>> (click on its icon to highlight it) if there is any setup items you
      >>> need to
      >>> do do them then close the chooser window. It will give you message
      >>> that you
      >>> have changed your printer go to page setup .... .
      >>>
      >>> If you still can't get printer to work, and printer is USB printer
      >>> unplug
      >>> USB cable either from Computer end or Printer end wait a few seconds
      >>> then
      >>> plug back in. If you still can't see it try from the opposite end
      and
      >>> repeat. If still no-go consider getting a new USB cable and Try
      >>> again.
      >>>
      >>> If none of this helps. Someone else will have to try.
      >>>
      >>> If your printer uses a serial port try the same trick with the cable
      >>> "EXCEPT" you must turn power off on computer first. Hotswapping the
      >>> cable on
      >>> a serial device will burn up the deivice, the cable, or the serial
      >>> port
      >>> guaranteed. "ONLY" USB and "FIREWIRE" are hot swappable devices.
      You
      >>> can do
      >>> serios damage to serial or SCSI devices or the computer if you try
      >>> plug
      >>> in or unplug while power is on Computer and or device.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:57:05 -0600
      From: Steve Kane <skane [email address protected]Subject: Re: X

      On Mar 24, 2004, at 1:38 PM, John Rethorst wrote:

      > Is Appleworks' wp module any good in X? Nisus in X apparently has a
      > feature
      > set somewhere south of BBEdit Lite. Mellel is proud of its new 'Insert
      > Date' feature, and Mariner Write of its new blue background. I will be
      > able
      > to say on my deathbed that I never harmed a child nor used a Microsoft
      > product.
      >
      > Is there no hope?

      John,

      I notice you didn't mention RagTime, or OpenOffice, or ThinkFree
      Office, or AbiWord. I know nothing about them. I'm just trotting out
      their names. Ragtime Solo (or whatever they are calling it now) may be
      downloaded and used free for noncommercial use. As an educator (I'm
      guessing you are an educator) I think you could use RagTime for free.
      Anyway, my wife, who is a teacher, says: "Teacher's don't ask
      permission, they ask forgiveness." RagTime looks impressive although it
      might have a bit of a learning curve.

      I use AppleWorks X for flyers, business cards, and short documents. It
      is better at printing rotated or otherwise manipulated text on my
      system than WP--don't know why. I keeping banging up against stuff it
      doesn't do that I take for granted in WP. For instance in AppleWorks X
      a table cannot be longer than one page. I could embed a Spreadsheet
      module, but a spreadsheet does not act like a table. I suppose I could
      create a new table after each page break, but every time I made a
      change to the document I'd have to rearrange the tables. And on and on.

      I tried to help a friend with Sun Office on his pc (which I think is
      wherefrom comes OpenOffice?); I still have bruises from banging my head
      against the monitor. I went to Border's Books and spent two hours and
      several lattes reading SunOffice books.[1] Yikes, I just didn't get
      that program.

      I exchanged a few emails with a someone at Redlex (Mellel). He said
      outlining would come in version 1.7.2 (I think it is currently at
      1.7.01). He something else intriguing in response to a concern I
      mentioned about import and export ability and the ability to exchange
      files with you know who. He said: "We plan to adopt a file format
      [that] will enable doing so [ie import/export and file conversion] much
      more easily than now (XML based format) so I would expect to see
      several convertors working well with Mellel in the not so distant
      future." Anyway, you are much more articulate than I, and Redlex seems
      very receptive to suggestions and feedback. I exchanged emails with
      someone named Ori who is listed in the Mellel credits for Concept
      Design and Documentation. Perhaps you could email him and tell him what
      you can accomplish in Mac WP, what you like about it, and what you
      would wish to see in Mellel. His email is: redlex [email address
      protected]1] I've since become acquainted with the manager of that
      particular
      Borders Books. I confessed to him that I sat and read the books and put
      them back on the shelf but emphasized that I bought several lattes
      while reading them and hoped that this would compensate. He agreed that
      it did. Apparently anytime I want to come in and order several lattes
      it's ok with him. :-)

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:05:53 -0800
      From: Randy B. Singer <randy [email address protected]Subject: Re: X

      Steve Kane said:

      >I notice you didn't mention RagTime, or OpenOffice, or ThinkFree
      >Office, or AbiWord. I know nothing about them. I'm just trotting out
      >their names. Ragtime Solo (or whatever they are calling it now) may be
      >downloaded and used free for noncommercial use. As an educator (I'm
      >guessing you are an educator) I think you could use RagTime for free.
      >Anyway, my wife, who is a teacher, says: "Teacher's don't ask
      >permission, they ask forgiveness." RagTime looks impressive although it
      >might have a bit of a learning curve.

      RagTime has always had potential, but in practice it doesn't work as
      well
      as it might. In fact, I believe that it received a very poor review in
      this month's Macworld.

      OpenOffice is an open source version of Sun's Microsoft Office
      competitor, Star Office, and it has a lot of potential for the
      Macintosh.
      There is a version of OpenOffice that will run under OS X using Apple's
      X11 program. (X11 allows UNIX programs to run under OS X.)
      Unfortunately, it is my experience that installing the version of
      OpenOffice for OS X that runs under X11 is too difficult for most
      ordinary users. For now, there is no Aqua port of OpenOffice. However,
      there are other versions of OpenOffice.

      NeoOffice/Java is a version of OpenOffice written in the Java
      programming
      language. Java is a native application language for OS X! Nothing else
      needs to be installed to run a Java application under OS X. Most folks
      find NeoOffice/Java to be more stable running in OS X than the X11
      version.

      Unlike the X11 version, NeoOffice/Java uses the regular MacOS X fonts
      and
      printing services. You can drop a file on the NeoOffice/Java dock icon,
      and the file will open, unlike with the X11 version. Unfortunately, like
      the X11 version, you still can't cut and paste anything but text between
      OpenOffice and other MacOS X applications.

      NeoOffice/Java has quite a few sophistocated features, just like
      Microsoft Office. It comes with a word processor, spreadsheet, and a
      presentation program. You can also import and export Microsoft Office
      format files. And NeoOffice/Java is FREE!

      You can find out about NeoOffice/Java, as well as the latest patches,
      at:
      http://trinity.neooffice.org/

      Download:
      <http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?
      name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&
      cid=4>

      Randy B. Singer

      How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
      http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:48:17 -0500
      From: Sheila F. Jones <sheila [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      I have tried various suggestions from this list, all to no avail. The
      port still doesn't show up in the Chooser's right side, even though the
      printer itself shows up in the left side. I'm not able to print in
      Classic. Unplugging the USB cord does nothing. I'm going to find out
      about getting a new cord to try. I still don't understand how I can
      print in OSX, but not in Classic. It's using the same USB cord. What a
      quirk in Classic.

      Here's what happens when I try to print....

      I go to the print dialog box and click print. A box shows momentarily
      that says "Now spooling the document..." and the printer icon starts
      blinking in the dock. It blinks for a second or two then disappears.
      Nothing ever prints.

      The Apple System Profiler shows this information...

      (Devices and Volumes)
      USB 0 -- No devices found on this bus

      (System Profile)
      Printer overview
      -- Printer (Default)
      ----- Printer driver: CX3200

      Does this information give anyone a clue as far as the USB stuff?

      Sheila F. Jones

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:01:05 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      Goodness........ but I give you an A+ for diagnostics. Tired, but
      will try to help some more:

      1. You should have it correctly re the USB connection / cable. Don't
      waste money on another cable....... yet.
      2. I am assuming that you have the USB cable connected directly to the
      eMac, and NOT via an outboard USB 'hub'. At least for diagnostics, the
      Printer should be connected directly. Many of the hubs create
      problems.
      3. You have the answer: "port still doesn't showup....". You can
      not make pretend and press onward. Your specific printer (not the
      port) will be listed on the Right and MUST be ID'd to couple. On the
      Left are the respective drivers. I am assuming from your note that a
      file labeled "Epson CX3200" is listed. When you click or highlight,
      the printer should be listed on the Right. I am hearing this last step
      does not happen..,......? Do you have Appletalk activated? Be sure
      "USB Printer Sharing" is OFF in the Control Panels (Classic). Reboot
      Classic after any changes in settings (via OS X System Pref Classic
      Pane).
      4. Kudos for using Profiler. Clearly this is your problem, the
      printer is NOT identified. As for your note about ''spooling the
      document....", this is to be expected. This happens independent of
      need to communicate with the printer.
      5. Suggest:
      - Go to Apple Support Discussion Site>OS X>Printing (and the same
      with 'Classic') and do a search for Epson CX3200. Quick and easy
      rather than re-inventing a solution someone else solved.
      - In OS X >SystemPreferences>Network How do you have this
      configured. Simple or some obtuse way which will work in OS X, but not
      in Classic?

      If all else fails, go to the Epson Support Site and search.
      I'll keep thinking.....
      Bill

      On Mar 25, 2004, at 8:48 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > I have tried various suggestions from this list, all to no avail. The
      > port still doesn't show up in the Chooser's right side, even though
      > the printer itself shows up in the left side. I'm not able to print in
      > Classic. Unplugging the USB cord does nothing. I'm going to find out
      > about getting a new cord to try. I still don't understand how I can
      > print in OSX, but not in Classic. It's using the same USB cord. What a
      > quirk in Classic.
      >
      > Here's what happens when I try to print....
      >
      > I go to the print dialog box and click print. A box shows momentarily
      > that says "Now spooling the document..." and the printer icon starts
      > blinking in the dock. It blinks for a second or two then disappears.
      > Nothing ever prints.
      >
      > The Apple System Profiler shows this information...
      >
      > (Devices and Volumes)
      > USB 0 -- No devices found on this bus
      >

      > (System Profile)
      > Printer overview
      > -- Printer (Default)
      > ----- Printer driver: CX3200
      >

      > Does this information give anyone a clue as far as the USB stuff?
      >

      > Sheila F. Jones

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:04:38 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      Afterthought......... Even before you go to the Discussion section
      at the Apple Support site, do a search on Apple Support for the Epson
      model printer you own. Somewhere in the flood of KB articles, there
      were some notes re problems with one of the Epson printers on OS X /
      Classic. Can not remember which.
      Bill

      On Mar 25, 2004, at 8:48 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > I have tried various suggestions from this list, all to no avail.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:07:44 -0500
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Re: printing in classic...

      On 3/25/04 10:04 PM, "whunter" <whunterjr [email address
      protected]wrote:

      > Afterthought......... Even before you go to the Discussion
      section
      > at the Apple Support site, do a search on Apple Support for the Epson
      > model printer you own. Somewhere in the flood of KB articles, there
      > were some notes re problems with one of the Epson printers on OS X /
      > Classic. Can not remember which.

      I have another Epson model, which on occasion really went haywire under
      Sys
      9 -- the only solution was to uninstall and reinstall the drivers from
      the
      CD.

      It may not be close to the solution, but it couldn't hurt to try.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:35:20 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      Matthew -
      Thanks. I am really tired and wanted to say we had 'visited' this
      issue re the need to install the latest Epson driver (inclusive of OS 9
      / Classic), but as mumbly on the List as in person tonight. Obtusely
      was trying to direct to this conclusion via the Discussion site. SW is
      my best guess as to the source of her problem. The USB 'hardware'
      clearly works as documented under OS X. Should be no unique 'hardware'
      based problem relevant to Classic. IT is a SW driver problem........

      Sheila, suggest:
      1. If you have not upgraded to the just released Panther 10.3.3, DO SO
      NOW!!!! Some significant improvements (details available on the Apple
      Support site) to printing and Classic were incorporated.
      2. Test.
      3. If problem remains after new Chooser setup, go to Apple (NOT EPSON)
      OS X downloads and get the latest Epson printer driver to load.

      Test again.
      As Matthew correctly - - and more clearly - - states, this is a SW
      driver problem on the Classic side. The drivers are 'bundled', thus
      you must replace the entire.
      Best,
      Bill

      On Mar 25, 2004, at 10:07 PM, Matthew Cope wrote:

      > I have another Epson model, which on occasion really went haywire
      > under Sys
      > 9 -- the only solution was to uninstall and reinstall the drivers from
      > the
      > CD.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:26:31 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      In addition to prior suggestions go to:

      http://www.macintouch.com/

      Then do a SEARCH on Epson CX3200. I found a plethora of recent posts,
      but did not have time to read.
      Bill

      On Mar 25, 2004, at 8:48 PM, Sheila F. Jones wrote:

      > I have tried various suggestions from this list, all to no avail.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:54:49 -0500
      From: Sheila F. Jones <sheila [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      printing in classic...

      Thanks. I'll download the 57MB upgrade today at work (faster
      connection!) and install it at home this weekend. I'll let you know
      what happens {fingers crossed!}.

      I checked Epson's site for recent printer drivers for the CX3200, but
      they're all for OSX. That's not where I'm having the problem. I
      suppose it still couldn't hurt.

      Sheila F. Jones

      On Mar 25, 2004, at 10:35 PM, whunter wrote:

      > 1. If you have not upgraded to the just released Panther 10.3.3, DO
      > SO NOW!!!! Some significant improvements (details available on the
      > Apple Support site) to printing and Classic were incorporated.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:20:23 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: printing
      in classic...

      You might review my prior notes:
      - Suggested you check the Epson site for information only, but Apple
      Discussion is most likely to be productive.
      - Suggest you download any new driver for the Epson from the Apple
      site - - this will be the most recent and tested. The Epson download
      might be OK, but the Apple Download site virtually always posts the
      most recent.
      - If you must install a new driver, believe you will find the X and
      Classic/OS 9 drivers bundled in a single download, i.e. as OS X. I
      recently tried to help Geoff by 'unpacking' one of these bundles for an
      HP printer. It is an invitation to more problems unless you are
      experienced in manual installation and identification of the
      appropriate files.

      All of the above AFTER upgrade to 10.3.3.
      Bill