WP-L-Digest 2004/03/08 #922

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:27:47 +0100
      From: "Robert J. Widenmann" <maribob [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Keyboard problems

      First, a note of thanks for the responses

      To Bill Hunter.
      It affects only WP, no other program.

      To Alarik and Geoff.
      The very second thing I did, before sending my problem on to the
      group, was to delete the guilty style in the Library files, under the
      name of the document in question. The style did not seem to have
      crawled into the general file. I have since sent Sherlock out to hunt
      for it by name. No luck. Nor is Sherlock able to find "Speed styles,"
      not even when spelled as one word. Odd, and to me mystifying.

      On the other hand I discovered that if I remove the preference FILE
      (not folder) it helps not a wit, whereas removing the Library file
      hand does remedy the problem. Of course it will then become necessary
      to reinstall all macros.

      Unless someone has a better idea.

      --

      Regards,

      Bob Widenmann

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:59:17 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: Keyboard
      problems

      I am unfortunately becoming VERY RUSTY on OS 9x. There is a way to
      program individual keys to functions in OS 9, but this should apply to
      all applications. (Far more sophisticated in OS X.) Thus, the subset
      preference in WP should be the location of the problem.

      Can you open the problematic Library File in Text edit or other to
      selectively delete the problem preference?
      Bill

      On Mar 4, 2004, at 12:27 PM, Robert J. Widenmann wrote:

      > It affects only WP, no other program.
      >
      > To Alarik and Geoff.
      > The very second thing I did, before sending my problem on to the
      > group, was to delete the guilty style in the Library files, under the
      > name of the document in question. The style did not seem to have
      > crawled into the general file. I have since sent Sherlock out to hunt
      > for it by name. No luck. Nor is Sherlock able to find "Speed styles,"
      > not even when spelled as one word. Odd, and to me mystifying.
      >
      > On the other hand I discovered that if I remove the preference FILE
      > (not folder) it helps not a wit, whereas removing the Library file
      > hand does remedy the problem. Of course it will then become necessary
      > to reinstall all macros.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:00:29 -0500
      From: jimwg <jimwg [email address protected]Subject: Pre-PPC WPs?

      Greetings All!

      This WP list is so valuable I can't tell you!! Thanks for hosting it!

      Are there any ancient versions of Word Perfect on flea
      markets or lurking on the web which I can use on my 68040 OS 8.1
      Powerbook 190?

      Thanks!
      JimWG

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:51:14 -0700
      From: Kevin McCoy <kevin [email address protected]Subject: Re: Pre-PPC
      WPs?

      The latest 3.5e version should run on any Mac 68020 OS 6.x and up. You
      will have to install from the installer app, to make sure you get the
      68K (or 'FAT') version.

      -Kevin

      jimwg wrote:

      > Greetings All!
      >
      > This WP list is so valuable I can't tell you!! Thanks for hosting
      it!

      > Are there any ancient versions of Word Perfect on flea markets or
      > lurking on the web which I can use on my 68040 OS 8.1 Powerbook 190?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > JimWG

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:56:00 -0700
      From: Kevin McCoy <kevin [email address protected]Subject: Re: Keyboard
      problems

      Unfortunately a Library File is a binary file, and a text editor will
      not be of much help (ResEdit might be able to help here, but I can't
      remember for sure). I would look under "Edit" -> "Preferences" ->
      "Keyboard" to see if the key is mapped wrong. Not sure on this, as I do
      not have ready access to my Mac.

      -Kevin

      whunter wrote:

      > I am unfortunately becoming VERY RUSTY on OS 9x. There is a way to
      > program individual keys to functions in OS 9, but this should apply to
      > all applications. (Far more sophisticated in OS X.) Thus, the subset
      > preference in WP should be the location of the problem.
      >
      > Can you open the problematic Library File in Text edit or other to
      > selectively delete the problem preference?
      > Bill

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:31:26 -0500
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: Keyboard
      problems

      Kevin, you are absolutely right. Admitted to becoming less adroit in OS
      9!!! Key is the report by Widenmann of localizing the problem to one
      file. Often, localizing is the most difficult problem. There should
      be a way to save him some time with that knowledge. ResEdit I have not
      used in several years. Long distance assistance on ResEdit is probably
      beyond this forum.
      Best,
      Bill

      On Mar 4, 2004, at 4:56 PM, Kevin McCoy wrote:

      > Unfortunately a Library File is a binary file, and a text editor will
      > not be of much help (ResEdit might be able to help here, but I can't
      > remember for sure). I would look under "Edit" -> "Preferences" ->
      > "Keyboard" to see if the key is mapped wrong. Not sure on this, as I
      > do not have ready access to my Mac.
      >
      > -Kevin
      >
      > whunter wrote:
      >
      >> I am unfortunately becoming VERY RUSTY on OS 9x. There is a way to
      >> program individual keys to functions in OS 9, but this should apply
      >> to all applications. (Far more sophisticated in OS X.) Thus, the
      >> subset preference in WP should be the location of the problem.
      >>
      >> Can you open the problematic Library File in Text edit or other to
      >> selectively delete the problem preference?
      >> Bill

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:18:49 +0000
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Re: Keyboard problems

      >First, a note of thanks for the responses
      >To Alarik and Geoff.
      >The very second thing I did, before sending my problem on to the
      >group, was to delete the guilty style in the Library files, under
      >the name of the document in question. The style did not seem to have
      >crawled into the general file. I have since sent Sherlock out to
      >hunt for it by name. No luck. Nor is Sherlock able to find "Speed
      >styles," not even when spelled as one word. Odd, and to me
      >mystifying.

      Bob

      You said you deleted it under "style in the Library files". Do you
      really mean Speedstyles in librarian in Preferences. That's where it
      needs to be deleted from.

      geoff

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 03:26:37 +0100
      From: "Robert J. Widenmann" <maribob [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Pre-PPC WPs?

      At 16:00 -0500 04/03/04, jimwg wrote:
      >Are there any ancient versions of Word Perfect on flea markets or
      >lurking on the web which I can use on my 68040 OS 8.1 Powerbook 190?

      I have Novell's WP3.5 on floppies - eight of them! - which I used on
      OS 8.1. Would that help? And if so, how can I get them to you? I live
      in Denmark.
      --

      Bob Widenmann
      maribob [email address protected]Message Number: 9
      Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 03:28:42 +0100
      From: "Robert J. Widenmann" <maribob [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Keyboard problems

      >Unfortunately a Library File is a binary file, and a text editor
      >will not be of much help (ResEdit might be able to help here, but I
      >can't remember for sure). I would look under "Edit" -> "Preferences"
      >-> "Keyboard" to see if the key is mapped wrong. Not sure on this,
      >as I do not have ready access to my Mac.

      I thought of this, but could not find anything amiss there.
      --

      Regards,

      Bob Widenmann

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 03:32:15 +0100
      From: "Robert J. Widenmann" <maribob [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Keyboard problems

      >ResEdit I have not used in several years. Long distance assistance
      >on ResEdit is probably beyond this forum.

      I'm pretty much lost with ResEdit, which I unfortunately have never
      learned to use. Finding the problem is, as you point out, THE problem.
      --

      Regards,

      Bob Widenmann

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 03:44:08 +0100
      From: "Robert J. Widenmann" <maribob [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Keyboard problems

      >You said you deleted it under "style in the Library files". Do you
      >really mean Speedstyles in librarian in Preferences. That's where it
      >needs to be deleted from.

      Goeff,

      I meant exactly that. My own view is that the library in preferences
      has somehow been corrupted, partly because Speedstyles operates
      globally when it should restrict its performance to the document in
      question; and partly because I hit one key instead of the two keys I
      aimed at.

      At any rate I have thrown in the towel, deleted the old library from
      the preferences file and am currently reinstalling all the various
      macros and reestablishing old preferences.

      Why, by the way, does Speedstyles not figure in the online help
      resources? Is it a completely new feature?

      Let me take the opportunity once again to thank everybody who has
      tried to help. I have at least learned quite a bit, and that is
      always worth plenty.
      --

      Robert J. Widenmann

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:34:48 -0500
      From: Rich Casey <rcasey [email address protected]Subject: WP 3.5
      questions

      A few questions which, if can be answered, I know can be answered here:

      Using Wordperfect 3.5.1 ...

      1. Print preview: is there a way to set the default zoom level in "PRINT
      PREVIEW" to 100 or 200% (currently it defaults to 70%);

      2. we have misplaced / lost our installer cd - is there a way to copy
      the
      various files (main folder, preferences) and create a disk image to
      replace
      it? Or, does the wp-l site have ver. 3.5.1 which can be downloaded?
      (note:
      I have downloaded a more current version previously from the site,
      however,
      we've had problems opening and/or saving our existing WP 3.1 and/or
      3.5.1
      docs)

      3. On some of our computers (mostly iMacs, OS 8.5-9.0), when I go to
      edit a
      macro, I am not able to type in the edit window and on others I am.
      For
      those I am not able to type, I copy/paste the macro into a document,
      make
      simple changes and copy/paste back. Is there a setting which controls
      this??

      Many thanks for your help.
      rich

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 13
      Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 07:41:56 -0800
      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      watching a variable

      >Is there some way to watch a variable in the debugger to see when it
      changes?
      >I have a global variable that is getting changed. I suppose I can
      search
      >every instance of it, and put a stop dot on it. But it would be great
      if
      >you could
      >somehow stop the program whenver that value changes and you could see
      who is
      >changing it.

      See "Who's on first?" on p. 149 of my Scripting Guide.

      John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 14
      Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 07:41:36 -0800
      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Keyboard problems

      >When creating a speed style the other day I inadvertently assigned
      >the number 1 and no accompanying key (don't ask me how!). The
      >consequence is that if I want to write a number containing that digit
      >it is necessary to holt the Alt key down and use the number pad. (Alt
      >plus 1 on the main keyboard yields the initial Spanish upside-down
      >exclamation point.) To make matters worse, the problem seems to have
      >become global, affecting all documents even though the style was
      >originally attached to one specific document.
      >
      >I tried first to reassign a combination, and when that did not work
      >simply deleted the offending style - but to no avail.
      >
      >Can anyone help me recover the complete use of the key for the
      >relevant digit on the main keyboard?

      When you deleted the speedstyle, you did not delete the keystroke
      assignment to a style of that name. This applies to paragraph styles and
      macros as well.

      Go to Edit > Prefs > Keyboard and, from the Type popup at the top left,
      choose Character. Click on and highlight the character "1", and assign
      it
      the keystroke 1.

      After closing the Keyboard dialog you can then, optionally, reopen it
      and
      delete the new keystroke assignment, restoring the original default of 1
      mapped to 1.

      John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 15
      Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 03:59:19 +0100
      From: "Robert J. Widenmann" <maribob [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Keyboard problems

      >When you deleted the speedstyle, you did not delete the keystroke
      >assignment to a style of that name. This applies to paragraph styles
      and
      >macros as well.
      >
      >Go to Edit > Prefs > Keyboard and, from the Type popup at the top left,
      >choose Character. Click on and highlight the character "1", and assign
      it
      >the keystroke 1.
      >
      >After closing the Keyboard dialog you can then, optionally, reopen it
      and
      >delete the new keystroke assignment, restoring the original default of
      1
      >mapped to 1.
      >
      >John R.

      That did it! Fortunately I still had not trashed the old library.

      Many thanks.
      --

      Regards,

      Bob Widenmann

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 16
      Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 18:28:03 -0600
      From: "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <tjrostaf [email address
      protected]Subject: Keyboard problems

      Bob, in my experience a keyboard retains commands even after the item
      (macro or style, or even Speedstyle) has been deleted. (Only removing
      the target will thus not fix the problematic key assignment.) The
      keyboard seems to link the command to the name. Create a new style with
      the same name, the keystroke will activate it. I believe that these
      asignments reside not in the Preferences, but in the Keyboard resource
      in the Library -- so trashing the Prefs alone may not fix the problem.

      I remove such assignments by selecting, then deleting the shortcut in
      the Keyboard dialog box. This can only be done when a style of that
      name exists in the Library, or in the currently open and frontmost
      document. You may need to create a new Speedstyle of the same name as
      the one to which you originally assigned the "1" keystroke -- then get
      rid of it again in the Librarian once you have undone the unwanted
      keystroke..

      This undocumented feature of remembering keyboard commands is one I have
      actually utilized beneficially. I have created a series of style
      names (untitled Style 1, untitled Style 2, and so forth) and link the
      commands control-1, control-2, etc., respectively to each of them.
      Likewise I have created a series of macro names (F5, F6, etc.) and
      linked them to control-F5, control-F6, etc., respectively. Then, when
      I want to create styles or macros in a document, I have ready-made
      keyboard commands for them. All I then have to do is name them
      accordingly: untitled Style 2, F7 (for a macro), etc. Some months ago
      I posted more details of how I did this, and would be happy to do so
      again if it would be helpful to you or anyone on the list..

      Tom

      ===================================
      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      (708) 848-1611
      fax (708) 848-1436
      tjrostaf [email address protected]When creating a speed style the other

      Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 12:58:55 -0500
      From: Edward Mendelson <emendelson [email address protected]Subject:
      High-resolution version of WP icon?

      Does anyone have a high-resolution image of the WPMac 3.5 Finder icon?
      In many places in OS X, the icon looks very blotchy, like all OS 8/9
      icons under OS X. If a higher-resolution version of the image exists,
      I'd be glad to convert it into an icon that can easily replace the
      existing icon by pasting it in the Get Info box for the program. I've
      looked around, but can't find one. I suspect that there used to be one
      on a long-lost Corel web page, but that's just a guess.

      Thanks for any help...

      Edward Mendelson

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 18
      Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:40:06 -0800
      From: Randy B. Singer <randy [email address protected]Subject: New WP
      version

      Here is an interesting article:

      The new owners of Corel have taken an interest in WordPerfect. No
      mention of a Macintosh version, though.

      Randy B. Singer

      How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
      http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 19
      Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:01:32 -0500
      From: Peter Krug <pkrug [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      High-resolution version of WP icon?

      >Does anyone have a high-resolution image of the WPMac 3.5 Finder icon?

      Could you scan the box and scale it down to 128 x 128? Anybody still
      have the box?

      Peter
      --
      A little computer haiku:
      I can't remember

      This message sent with Eudora 6.1b2 on Mac OS X 10.3.2