WP Mac News 96/05

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      Click on one. elcome to our May issue. A lot of good stuff this month.
      Make sure you check out the Corel Info section. Corel WordPerfect is
      sponsoring a $1,000,000 World Contest. This contest will test your
      creativity and knowledge of WPMac. We are excited to see your entries!
      Any eye-catching, breath-taking, or just down right good entry may even
      make it into WPMac News. Watch for us on our new Corel WordPerfect web
      site. This site is under construction and you should find us there in
      the next couple of weeks. Bookmark our new site,
      http://www.wordperfect.com This will be the main page for all Corel
      WordPerfect applications and news. Once we have officially moved in,
      all our old sites will direct you here. Lisa Credits Editor Lisa Foster
      Web Weaver Lamar Kirby Linkage and Layout Lisa Foster Moral Support Ken
      Freeman, Don Fowles, Brian Rasmussen, David Sessions, Tyler Thompson
      The WordPerfect Mac News is published monthly. Find us at : • BBS (801)
      221-5197 • CompuServe: Go WPMAC and check the General Information
      Library. • AOL: Keyword wordperfect in the Help and Info Files section
      of the Software Library. • WWW :
      http://netwire.novell.com/home/mac/macnews/inde x.htm page 1
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996 1st Annual Corel ® WordPerfect ®
      $1,000,000 World Contest WordPerfect ® is internationally renowned for
      its versatility, incredible ease of use and powerful automation tools.
      Users in a wide variety of professional fields have discovered that
      this exceptionally intelligent word-processing solution quickly allows
      them to be more productive in today’s competitive business environment.
      To recognize and encourage the international community of loyal
      WordPerfect ® users, the 1st Annual Corel ® WordPerfect ® $1,000,000
      World Contest is open to all registered users of the WordPerfect ®
      family of business applications. Your entry can be created in any
      version or platform of WordPerfect ® , Presentations TM , Quattro ® Pro
      or Paradox ® and may include graphic elements from any version of
      CorelDRAW TM , the Corel GALLERY TM clipart collection and/or Corel ®
      Professional Photos on CD-ROM.
      http://www.corel.com/contests/wordperfect Check out our web site for
      all the juicy details and official rules. You will notice that most of
      the entry instructions are directed to WordPerfect for Windows users.
      Elbow that aside. This contest is also available to our registered
      WordPerfect for Macintosh users! You are limited to WPMac for the
      contest (unless you have access to all those Windows products). You can
      participate in the WordPerfect category which includes; macros,
      templates, forms, style & content, best add-on, and best integration.
      We are counting on you! Let that creativity flow. You already use
      WordPerfect every day and now is your chance to use it to win some
      money. Contest deadline is May 20, 1996, so move quickly. Make sure you
      download the TIF version of the entry form. You can also find the entry
      form attached to the Envoy version of this month’s newsletter
      (available on AOL and CompuServe). Good Luck! page 2 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS MAY 1996 You can reach us by fax at (801) 222-4365. We welcome
      your comments, feedback, tips & tricks, and questions. If you need
      support for a WordPerfect product, reach us at (801) 765-2040, Priority
      : $25 fee (800) 861-2070, $2 per minute (900) 555-3535. "What's going
      to happen to WordPerfect for Macintosh now under Corel?" One loyal
      WordPerfect user, Thomas Whitmore of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, wrote
      a sincere note expressing his concern that Corel is so committed to the
      Windows world that it will let the Mac version of WP dry up. He
      pleaded, "Please don't abandon us." I am here to tell you that
      WordPerfect for Macintosh is in good hands! I have worked with
      WordPerfect for Macintosh for almost six years and am a Mac Fanatic
      through and through. The rest of the Macintosh team are true blue Mac
      users as well. We all feel that Corel is the type of company who can
      give us the attention needed to make the best Macintosh products
      anywhere. It's true that Corel is very involved in the development of
      Windows software. However, Macintosh is also a priority. The next major
      release of WordPerfect for Macintosh is well underway and Corel will
      continue to offer the best support of Apple technologies and the
      Macintosh interface. Corel will also continue to offer the same world
      class customer support. WordPerfect customers can now receive free,
      unlimited technical support (toll charges apply). Corel has also
      implemented an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system that provides
      answers to commonly asked questions while you wait on the phone lines.
      Also available is a fax back service, BBS support, online support (on
      both America Online and CompuServe), and World Wide Web support.
      Remember this: Corel made an informed decision to purchase WordPerfect
      Macintosh software and Corel is confident that the Macintosh market is
      active and growing. Last year Corel introduced a number of multimedia
      titles, clipart collections, and stock photography, all for Macintosh!
      This year WordPerfect for Macintosh and CorelDRAW for Macintosh will
      also release. Development plans have also been announced for Print
      House for Macintosh (a layout package for letterhead, greeting cards,
      banners, brochures, etc.) In the upcoming weeks Corel will repackage an
      updated version of WordPerfect 3.5 that includes problem fixes and
      feature enhancements. This update will be available for current
      WordPerfect 3.5 users. It will be found on the Internet, our own BBS,
      America Online, and CompuServe. CD and diskette versions will also be
      available (shipping and handling charges apply). Watch the WPMac News
      for information on the update release. Ken Freeman Macintosh Product
      Marketing Manager page 3 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996 Update to System
      7.5.3. The update can be downloaded from:
      golf.info.apple.com/update/update.html. You can also call the Apple
      Orders Center at 1-800-293-6617. Or, send a fax to request your order
      to 1-408-644-2008, you must include your name, address, and Apple
      serial number. This update is a big one, take lunch and a good book for
      the install. To view the source code of an HTML document, hold down the
      Option key while opening the document. Edit the document and resave as
      HTML Export. Set a default folder location to save all your documents.
      Edit|Preferences|Folders. This specified default document folder will
      automatically display when clicking on File|Save As. When using the
      Envelope macro (versions 3.0 and 3.1), choose Front Load as your
      Printer Type when printing to a Stylewriter. This selection is found by
      clicking on the Options button|Choose A Printer Type|Front Load.
      Problems printing graphics or black and white text? At times, your
      graphics may display correctly on screen and also in Print Preview, but
      will print as one solid black graphic. Or, a black box with white text
      may look great on screen but print as a solid black box without any
      text. The solution for these printing problems is found in the Print
      dialog box. The Print option is set for Black/White and needs to be
      changed to Color/Grayscale. This change will correct the solid black
      problem, and graphics should print correctly. Depending on your
      printer, Color/Grayscale may be located in a number of places. The most
      common is found by clicking on the Options button in the Print Dialog
      box. Other printers will display the color choice directly on the main
      Print dialog screen. No matter what printer you are using, this option
      should not be too difficult to find and very easy to change. 4PAGE
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996 MASTERING MACROS BY JOHN RETHORST
      WORDPERFECT/APPLESCRIPT/FILEMAKER REFERENCE MANAGER, PART TWO Last
      month we looked at the AppleScript and FileMaker (or equivalent
      database) parts of this citation engine. We told WP to tell AppleScript
      to activate FileMaker and run a script that set up the database for the
      user to choose a reference. FileMaker then passed the data of that
      reference back to AppleScript, which in turn gave it to WordPerfect. So
      we’re now back in the land of WP macros, and have 13 script variables
      worth of data. Script variables receive information from an AppleScript
      and then, in the WP macro environment, behave just like regular global
      variables: as we saw in the November 1995 column on glossaries, they
      retain their value as long as WP is running, or until assigned another
      value. As presently set up, the script variables contain this data:
      ScriptVar01: author’s or authors’ last name(s), date ScriptVar02: page
      numbers ScriptVar03: blank ScriptVar04: blank ScriptVar05: all authors’
      full names ScriptVar06: paper title, if any, and editor, if any
      ScriptVar07: book or journal title and series, if any ScriptVar08:
      journal volume and number, if any ScriptVar09: city of publication, if
      any ScriptVar10: publisher, if any ScriptVar11: month and year
      ScriptVar12: blank ScriptVar13: mark for previous reference plus
      ScriptVar50 as a general global variable. The bibliographic
      information, by being spread out among 12 variables, allows flexibility
      of reference content (some citations will have e.g. paper titles but
      not city of publication) and the option of different data in the first
      and the subsequent reference. page 5 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996
      Thus, in the in-text/bibliography format, an in-text citation might be:
      Discussions of anthropological relativism make plain how easy it is to
      impute variable ends by failing to allow for the possibility that
      common goals are articulated differently in different circumstances
      [Kitcher 1992]. and the bibliography entry would be: Kitcher, Philip.
      “The Naturalists Return.” Philosophical Review, (101,1), January 1992,
      p. 53-114. done by using ScriptVar01 for the in-text citation, and
      ScriptVar02 plus 05 through 12 for the bibliography entry. Footnotes
      and endnotes work with the same idea but, since the first footnote
      reference is the complete one, the first footnote would draw from
      ScriptVar02 and 05-12, with subsequent references built from
      ScriptVar01 plus something like “op.cit.” The main macro: Enter
      Reference This macro, called by the AppleScript “Put Reference,” is
      where most of the action is. In it, footnotes or endnotes are generated
      using the macro commands New Footnote or New Endnote, along with Close
      Subdocument to close the note window when the information has been
      entered. Enter Reference simply calls either new note command and then
      checks to see whether there’s anything in ScriptVar13. If not (so the
      present reference is the first one in this paper), it writes script
      variables 05-12 and closes the note window. If there is something in
      ScriptVar13, it writes script variables 01-04. Something like: New
      Footnote If (ScriptVar13=0) Type Var (ScriptVar05) Type Var
      (ScriptVar06) Type Var (ScriptVar07) Type Var (ScriptVar08) Type Var
      (ScriptVar09) Type Var (ScriptVar10) Type Var (ScriptVar11) Type Var
      (ScriptVar12) Else Type Var (ScriptVar01) page 6 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS MAY 1996 Type Var (ScriptVar02) Type Var (ScriptVar03) Type Var
      (ScriptVar04) End If Close Subdocument Two things to note: if a
      variable is empty, the Type Var command doesn’t add anything, not even
      a space; and what we have so far doesn’t give us formatting, e.g. book
      title in italics. We’ll fix that, of course. If, instead of a footnote
      or endnote, the user chooses the in-text/bibliography, the commands
      we’ll use are actually those for a Table of Authorities, a legal
      reference format. This is excellent as well for the structure of
      standard academic citations, as shown in the examples in the boxes
      above. These commands are Mark Full Form and Mark Short Form. As we’ll
      use them, the macro will choose Full Form if ScriptVar13=0, indicating
      that this is a new reference. Otherwise, the macro uses Short Form. The
      identifiers for both forms are script variables 01-04. That data is all
      the Short Form gets; the Full Form command, though, opens a subdocument
      like the one for footnote entry, and puts script variables 05-12 there.
      When printed, that text doesn’t appear at the bottom of the page or end
      of the file, as do footnotes or endnotes, but wherever you define a
      bibliography, using the same steps as to define a table of contents or
      an index. The syntax for these commands is: Mark Full Form
      (Section;Short Form) Mark Short Form (Short Form) where the Section is
      one of 16 (defaults to 1) and where “Short Form” is any identifying
      string, as is done with cross-referencing. For legal use in a Table of
      Authorities, a Short Form might be “Brown v. Board of Education” which
      reference would then appear everywhere that case was cited in the legal
      brief. The full reference would appear wherever defined and generated
      in the brief, just like an index. So the part of the Enter Reference
      macro with the code to enter this type of citation is: If
      (ScriptVar13=0) Mark Full
      Form(1;ScriptVar01$ScriptVar02$ScriptVar03$ScriptVar04) ;code to enter
      ScriptVar05-12 here Close Subdocument Else Mark Short
      Form(ScriptVar01$ScriptVar02$ScriptVar03$ScriptVar04) End If Right ()
      End Macro page 7 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996 which finishes up the
      basics of this reference manager. Congrats if you’ve made it this far,
      since this is pretty complex design. Rest assured, the remainder:
      formatting the references, and how to tell whether the user wants a
      footnote, endnote, or in-text citation plus bibliography, is much
      easier. Setting a citation format The best way to work with a user
      preference is to put it in a global variable, and have the Enter
      Reference macro refer to it whenever the user wants to add a citation.
      Thus, in general terms: If (GlobalVar01=1) Go (Footnote) End If If
      (GlobalVar01=2) Go (Endnote) End If
      ;================================================= ;In-text/bib code
      following, to run if GlobalVar01 hasn’t sent execution ;elsewhere
      ;================================================= If (ScriptVar13=0);
      no X in the Mark field Mark Full Form etc. End Macro
      ;================================================= Label (Footnote) New
      Footnote etc. End Macro
      ;================================================= Label (Endnote) New
      Endnote etc. End Macro and you could have some code in OnStartUp that
      posts a menu asking the user what he or she wants in the way of
      reference formats for the current session of WP – a pain, since the
      user probably wants to type a memo for the current session of WP. But
      if we let the user call the menu macro manually, it’s just a little
      less elegant than I like to be. How can we get a value into a global
      variable automatically, when WP starts? If we can do this, the user’s
      choice of formats will be remembered across work sessions, like the
      program preferences. A data table I set up a document called “Data” in
      the WP folder in System/Preferences, with a table in it, 8 columns by
      12 rows. A macro could put a number in a given cell to represent a
      formatting option. page 8 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996 For example,
      the number in column 2, row 1 could indicate the author-date or
      footnote or endnote choice. Take a look at this macro, called “Set
      Citation Format”: Menu (Var00;"Set Citation Format to:";{"Author-Date &
      Bibliography";"Endnote";"Footnote";"Endnote & Bibliography";"Footnote &
      Bibliography"}) Case
      (Var00;{1;Author-Date;2;Endnote;3;Footnote;4;EndnoteBib;5;FootnoteBib};
      cancel) Label (cancel) End Macro ; Label (Author-Date) Open Document
      (BootDir$"Preferences:WordPerfect:Data") Position To Cell (1;2;1)
      Select Word Type (0) Save Close Go (end) ; Label (Endnote) Open
      Document (BootDir$"Preferences:WordPerfect:Data") Position To Cell
      (1;2;1) Select Word Type (1) Save Close Go (end) ; and so on which
      posts a menu asking users what kind of citation they want. If a user
      chooses Endnote, the macro opens the Data document – remember, the
      read-only variable BootDir is what your Mac has told WP is the System
      folder. Then we have the table navigation command Position to Cell,
      where the first parameter is the number of the table in the document,
      and the second and third parameters are the column and row in that
      table. There may or may not already be a number in the cell we’ve
      chosen to use: 1;2;1 where the numbers mean the first table in the
      document (actually, the only table in this document), second column,
      first row. It doesn’t matter, since the Select Word command will select
      that digit or empty space, and the selection will be replaced with
      whatever is typed. In this case, with the choice of Endnote, the macro
      types a “1” and saves and closes the document. The user’s preference is
      now on disk, ready for us to access with another macro. That macro is
      “Get Citation Format,” which might well be called by OnStartUp, to open
      the Data document and read the value of column 2, row 1, into a global
      which will be a reference for note entry in the present session. This
      code might look like: page 9 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996 Position To
      Cell (1;2;1) Select Word Copy Assign (Var13;Clipboard) from which we
      can assign Var13 to a global variable, to keep the data available for
      use. Formatting instructions via the data table While we’re putting in
      and taking out the user’s choice of citation type from a data table,
      let’s define the formatting for each of the 12 transfer fields. Why not
      just have the FileMaker field for, say, book title, be in italics and
      leave it at that? Two reasons: first, we want to have more flexibility
      in formatting than would be encouraged by putting that formatting in
      database fields. Your next editor might want book titles underlined,
      for example. The second reason is that it would be more engineering to
      transfer formatting from FileMaker through AppleScript into WordPerfect
      variables. WP variables, for example, don’t include style information –
      just text. So let’s have the citation engine transfer text, and then
      format it while writing it to a reference. So each of the 12 fields
      needs a code to tell WP to write that field in the reference as plain
      text, or italics, bold, etc. That’s a simple code, so it can be a
      one-digit numeral. With an 8 column by 12 row data table, I put the
      code for each field in succeeding rows in the first column. Our sample
      reference: Kitcher, Philip. “The Naturalists Return.” Philosophical
      Review, (101,1), January 1992, p. 53-114. field 6field 5 field 8 field
      11 field 2 field 7 was then formatted with this data table: page 10
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 where the zeros
      in most rows in column one tell WP to leave those fields as plain text.
      Row seven has the numeral 1, telling the macro we’re about to write to
      make the contents of field seven italics. Row eight has the numeral 2,
      setting the contents of that field to bold. The numeral in column two,
      row one, sets citation type: author-date/footnotes/endnotes etc, as we
      saw earlier. The macro that reads all these numerals is, again, Get
      Citation Format. It reads the data table with code segments like:
      Position To Cell (1;1;1) Select Word Copy Assign (Var01;Clipboard)
      Twelve segments like this fill up variables 01 to 12 with the
      formatting data, and variable 13 with citation type. A line later in
      the macro: Assign (ScriptVar5
      0;Var01$Var02$Var03$Var04$Var05$Var06$Var07$Var08$Var09$Var10$Var11$
      Var12$Var13) (this is all one line in the macro editor) writes all
      these local variables to ScriptVar50, which we’re going to use just
      like a global variable – since it in fact is one, in addition to its
      special use with page 11 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996 AppleScript. Why
      not use a regular global? Well, we could, but I’ve been so promiscuous
      at writing macros over the last couple of years, I’ve used up most of
      the globals from 20-49. It’s the least I could do to leave the first 20
      for others, and 50 script variables turn out to be plenty for the
      amount of attention that the combination of AppleScript and WP macros
      has generated so far. So I’ve used script variables 1 through 13 to
      move data for an individual reference. If the user enters a reference,
      then runs another AppleScript/WP macro that overwrites the first 13
      script variables, fine. The next time the user enters a reference,
      those script variables are again used for the citation data, and so on.
      The variable we don’t want to overwrite is the one containing this
      formatting data. Since WP picks up data from AppleScript and writes
      them to script variables in numerical order, ScriptVar50 will be the
      last to be used for anything else. To finish the tour, let’s go back to
      the Enter Reference macro. This starts by picking apart ScriptVar50:
      SubString (Var01;1;1;ScriptVar50) SubString (Var02;2;1;ScriptVar50) and
      so on, up to Var13. Var01-12 dictate the formatting for the 12 fields,
      and Var13 tells the macro which type of citation to write, as we saw
      above. If the user chose footnotes, the macro goes to this label: Label
      (footnote) New Footnote If (ScriptVar13=0) Call (5-12) Else Call (1-4)
      End If Close Subdocument End Macro which checks ScriptVar13 to see if
      this is a new reference. If so, it goes to a label I called “5-12”
      since it uses those script variables. This looks like: Label (5-12)
      Assign (Var49;Var05) Call (format) Type Var (ScriptVar05) Assign
      (Var49;Var06) Call (format) ; and so on which puts the contents of
      (local) Var05 into Var49 and goes to a format subroutine, which looks
      like: page 12 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996 Label (format) If
      (Var49="1") Attribute (On;Italics) Attribute (Off;Bold) Attribute
      (Off;Underline) End If If (Var49="2") Attribute (Off;Italics) Attribute
      (On;Bold) Attribute (Off;Underline) End If ; and so on so that if var
      05 (formatting for field 5) contains the numeral 1, that goes to Var49
      (the single variable for the subroutine), which then sets the italic
      attribute. The subroutine has enough of these segments so that italic,
      bold, underline or any combination is available. If someone wants to
      use an attribute like shadow for an academic reference, they can do
      that themselves. :-) After execution returns from the format
      subroutine, the macro types the contents of the script variable, and
      goes on to the next script variable. And that's it! Since these macros
      are getting larger and more complicated as we go along, I've discussed
      them in pieces. It's important, though, that you look at the whole set
      of scripts, which you can download from
      sumex/Info–Mac/text/wordperfect/johns-citations-1.1.2-wphqx, and see
      how everything fits together. (While you're downloading, get
      AppleScript for free from
      ftp://ftpdev.info.apple.com/Developer_Services/Development_Kits/
      AppleScript/ AppleScript_Setup/.) It's very helpful to print out the
      code for the various macros and Applescripts, and draw arrows or make
      flowcharts, to and from the various labels, so you can make yourself a
      picture of how the whole thing works. It may seem complicated the first
      time, but consider that you’re learning how to think in a logical and
      structured way – so the next big macro we look at will be much easier
      to digest. We’ll take a break next month, though, to look at a case
      study and solution requested by a doctor for macros to automate
      generation of patients’ charts in a hospital. See you then. Contents
      Copyright © 1996 by John Rethorst. Used by permission. * * * John
      Rethorst, author of Teach Yourself WordPerfect, heard something about
      the madness of macros in May, but doesn’t believe it. Send him your
      comments at jcr2@.... 13PAGE WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996 URL
      Helper-Internet macro by Daniel Midgley WordPerfect 3.5 allows you to
      create Web Pages, links and all. While creating my own home page, I
      wrote this macro to make it easier to create those links. Here’s how it
      works: Step 1: In Netscape (or whatever browser you’re using), go to a
      page that you’d like to link to. Select the URL (the Web address), and
      copy it (Command-C). Step 2: Now go to your WordPerfect document, and
      select the link text, or the text that the user will click on to jump
      to the Web page you chose in Step 1. Step 3: With the text still
      selected, run the URL Helper macro, and you’re done. Now the selected
      text will be linked to that Web page. Have fun using the Web! Or as I
      like to call it, “surfing.” (I swear, I was the first person ever to
      call it that.) Auto Date/Time-by John Rethorst This macro posts this
      menu: Clicking on any choice, or typing the letter to its left, enters
      a date function in that format at the insertion point. To change the
      macro so that it enters text instead of an auto-updating function,
      change the word “Auto” in the first line of the code, and the word
      “Function” in the last line, to “Text”. Equation Macro 1.1 update-by
      John Rethorst This is in response to requests for an update to last
      month’s Equation Macro (April 1996). This update will show chapter
      number with equation number (e.g. "2.1") as required by the IEEE and
      some other professional standards. page 14 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY
      1996 Labels-Template WordPerfect for Macintosh, version 3.5
      File|Templates|Labels This template can be used to create one or more
      sheets of labels. These labels can be used for various tasks. A blank
      sheet of labels can be formatted for you to fill in with any text.
      Often times these blank labels are used for mailing labels (names and
      addresses) or simple file folder labels. Or, a merge form file may be
      formatted with assigned fields and then merged with a data file. This
      template opens up to the commonly used 3x10 (3 columns, 10 rows) label
      sheet. The Button Bar allows you to make customized changes to the
      labels. Below is an explanation of the buttons on the Button Bar and
      the tasks each button performs while creating your labels. SETUP This
      button allows you to select the type of labels you want to create.
      WordPerfect supports Avery labels. • Option A is the standard 3 columns
      by 10 rows. • Option B is 2 columns by 5 rows. • Choose Option C to
      type in the Avery Product Number. Hint: Most of the product numbers
      higher than 6000 will return an error that the format is not supported.
      Your product number is listed on the front of the Avery label package.
      Commonly, a substitute product number is also listed. Try entering this
      substitute number for the Avery Product Number if the first number is
      not supported. • Option D can be used if you do not know the product
      number or you are not using Avery brand labels. Step by step
      instruction will assist you in creating your labels. These custom
      labels are based on a normal 8.5”x11” sheet of paper. 15PAGE
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996 FILL This button is used to add text or
      merge codes to your labels. Option A. Return Address (Your Name) This
      option will fill one sheet of labels with the information you have
      placed into Personal Info. If you have not completed your Personal
      Information, before choosing this option, click on File|Templates|Open.
      At the bottom of this dialog box, click on the Personal Info button.
      Fill out the table with your personal information and click on OK. This
      information can be changed at any time. Option B. Merge Codes (Form
      File) Quick Setup (Field Numbers): will allow you to enter up to six
      merge fields in your label form file. A macro will format the entire
      sheet of labels with the correct merge field codes. Custom: will allow
      you to create the field layout you want by using the Merge Toolbar. You
      need only format one label. Press Enter (found on the Number Pad) when
      you are finished with the first label, and the macro will format the
      remaining label sheet. Option C. Repeat first cell Fill in the first
      (top left) label and this option will copy the text and formatting for
      the entire sheet of labels. POSITION This button allows you to change
      the position of the text on your labels. When pressing this button, an
      instructional text box appears on the bottom of your screen informing
      you that your arrow keys may be used to change your text position. The
      right and left arrow keys can be pressed once to move text to the
      center of the label, and pressed once more to move the text to the
      opposite side of the label. The up and down arrow keys can be pressed
      once to move the text to the center of the label, and pressed once more
      to move the text to the bottom or top of the label. Remember to press
      the Return key to complete the label positioning. FIT This button
      allows you to select a font and will then automatically adjust the
      contents of your labels to fit your label space. page 16 WORDPERFECT
      MAC NEWS MAY 1996 DONE This button will close your labels form with the
      dialog box: Click on OK and you will be prompted to name the labels you
      have just created. I am using the Sales Invoice Template and I can not
      calculate my totals. I can type in the Quantity and Price, but can’t
      even click my cursor into the Amount column. The Invoice template,
      along with most of the Business Forms templates, is pre-designed with
      standard formulas to calculate for you. Price and Quantity must be
      filled in first. Click on the calculator button found on the Table|Math
      Tool Bar and the Amount column will automatically fill in each total.
      Each time you update your Invoice with a new quantity and price, simply
      click the calculator button to update each total. page 17 WORDPERFECT
      MAC NEWS MAY 1996 Where can I find fractions? I would really like to
      insert a character for 1 / 2 instead of manually typing the fraction
      each time. I can locate fractions in WPWin but not in WPMac. The
      Character Sets available in WordPerfect for Windows are based on fonts
      created specifically for WordPerfect. Unfortunately, these fonts and
      subsequent character sets do not exist in WPMac. Attached to the
      newsletter you will find the folder, WP Character Sets. It contains a
      Readme file and a font suitcase containing the converted IBM Character
      Sets. Utilities such as TT Converter or Fontographer are available to
      convert IBM fonts to Mac fonts. Review the Readme file for installation
      instructions. Once installed, each Character Set font will display on
      your Font menu. Because fonts display graphically in WordPerfect, you
      won’t be able to read the actual names of each Character Set. Two
      workarounds for this: • Turn off Graphic Font Menu.
      Edit|Preferences|Environment|Options menu|uncheck Graphic Font Menu. OR
      • Select your font from the Font pull-down menu on the Font Toolbar.
      Edit|Symbols will display the character set once the font is selected.
      Fractions can be found in the WP Typographic Symbols font. A note of
      caution: When converting WPWin documents into WPMac that contain items
      from the WP character sets, simply select the character or group of
      characters that have not converted (they will display as an empty box
      or a funny character) and choose the correct character set font from
      the Font menu. I have noticed that each time I enter the Get Info
      dialog for WordPerfect, the memory size has changed. Once I correct the
      size, close the dialog and reopen it, the size has already changed
      again. The Get Info dialog is controlled by the System. Any settings
      you correct within this dialog should remain current and active until
      you make another change. If this dialog changes on its own (usually the
      Minimum and Preferred size will change to a large, unreasonable
      number), there is a problem on the System. A clean System reinstall is
      usually required at this point. page 18 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MAY 1996
      We welcome your comments, suggestions, letters, etc. • What did you
      like about the WordPerfect Mac News? • How was the layout? (Easy to
      find things, not too cluttered, graphics helpful?) • What would you
      change about the WordPerfect Mac News? • What features would you like
      to see highlighted in a future issue? • Which do you use? o Mac o DOS o
      Windows o UNIX o Other • Do you read this magazine on the screen, or do
      you print it? o Read on screen o Print it out • Where did you find the
      WordPerfect Mac News? • On the Macintosh, would you describe yourself
      as… o A beginner o A fairly proficient user o A power user • On
      WordPerfect, would you describe yourself as… o A beginner o A fairly
      proficient user o A power user You can reach us by fax at (801)
      222-4365, or “snail mail” to WP Mac News, MS Mac Group, Corel, 567 E.
      Timpanogos Parkway, Orem UT 84057-2399. Send your letters, requests,
      ideas for features, and tips & tricks to us! We reserve the right to
      edit any material received for content, clarity, and length. By
      submitting material to the WordPerfect Mac News, you agree to assign
      any and all rights, title, and interest which you may have to your
      submission material and any work Corel derives from such submission
      material to Corel, unless otherwise specified. The WordPerfect Mac News
      was created using WordPerfect 3.5 for Macintosh. The headings and the
      link buttons were created using ColorIt!™ 2.3 by MicroFrontier, Inc.
      Then the whole thing was printed to WordPerfect Envoy. WordPerfect 3.5,
      Document Experts, and WordPerfect Envoy are trademarks of Corel.
      ColorIt!™ is a trademark of MicroFrontier Inc. Apple and Macintosh are
      registered trademarks of Apple Computers Inc. NOTICE PLEASE READ: You
      accept this information with the understanding that Corel makes no
      representations or warranties as to the suitability of this information
      for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use or
      implement this information in your own setting, you do so at your own
      risk. In no event will Corel be liable for any damages, whether
      consequential, incidental, or special, arising out of the use of or
      inability to use the information provided herewith. Copyright Corel © ,
      1996. All rights reserved. If you do print out the WordPerfect Mac
      News, please recycle it. page 19