WP Mac News 96/04

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      Click on one. I hope this issue fills your Easter basket to the brim.
      For those of you who are wondering what changes have been made to
      customer support, read through our Corel Info section. We still provide
      excellent technical support even if the policy and phone numbers have
      changed! This month’s feature article provides a great troubleshooting
      guide. Print this one out and keep it nearby. It will definitely come
      in handy some time in the future. Tips and Tricks are packed with good
      stuff. And as always, John Rethorst delivers a great article. This
      month he gives us “A Taste of Applescript” and also provides our Macro
      of the Month. Enjoy your reading and enjoy your holiday. Lisa Credits
      Editor Lisa Foster Web Weaver Ken Freeman Linkage and Layout Lisa
      Foster Error Examination Lisa Foster Moral Support Don Fowles, Tyler
      Thompson, Brian Rasmussen, David Sessions, Lamar Kirby The WordPerfect
      Mac News is published monthly. Find us at: • ftp.wordperfect.com • BBS
      (801) 221-5197 • CompuServe: Go wordperfect and check the Mac Software
      Library. • AOL: Keyword wordperfect in the Help and Info Files section
      of the Software Library. • WWW :
      http://netwire.novell.com/home/mac/macnews/inde x.htm page 1
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 Corel Offers Unlimited Support for the
      Life of a Product Corel Corporation has made improvements to its
      Classic Service support for WordPerfect customers. Effective March 4,
      WordPerfect customers will now receive free, unlimited technical
      support for the price of a long distance phone call. This support
      replaces the previous 180–day support policy. In the past, a $25 fee
      was required to receive support after the expiration of the 180–day
      support policy. Free technical support can now be accessed for a much
      longer period of time and for a cheaper price. “Feedback from our
      customers indicates that they want free, unlimited support for the life
      of the products, not just for 180 days,” said Paul Coffin, Director of
      Technical Support Services at Corel Corporation. The lifetime of a
      product is dependent upon the release of new versions. Previous
      versions will be supported for a period of time after the release of a
      new version. In addition to phone support, Corel offers a variety of
      electronic services such as a Faxback Service at (800) 228-9960 and BBS
      support at (801) 221-5197. Users can also contact technical support at
      wpsupport@... (allow a 3-4 day turnaround for support). In the
      coming weeks, Corel will implement a new interactive voice answering
      network (IVAN) which will offer customers automated answers to commonly
      asked questions while they wait to speak with a live technichian. There
      is no extra charge for this service. Corel also plans to publish a FREE
      CD for ALL registered WordPerfect users. This CD will be distributed on
      a quarterly basis and will include the technical support knowledge
      base, bug fixes, tutorials, and promotional literature. More details to
      follow. Currently, free customer support (toll fee applied) is offered
      for WordPerfect for Mac 3.x on our main Technical Support phone line.
      All older versions, such as 2.0 and 2.1 have reached their lifetime
      expiration. They are supported on each Priority phone line. Current
      Phone Lines: 801-765-4020 Technical Support. WordPerfect for Macintosh
      3.0, 3.1, 3.5 800-861-2070 Priority Support, $25. 900-555-3535 Priority
      Support, $2 a minute. To avoid unnecessary wait time, please have your
      license number or Personal Identification Number (PIN) ready when
      calling. We cannot service you without one of these proofs of purchase.
      Your serial number (also called the license number) can be found on the
      page 2 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 registration card inside of the
      WordPerfect for Macintosh box. The PIN number is assigned to you during
      your first support call. Fee-based Priority and Premium Service options
      are also available which offer faster access, extended hours, and
      toll-free support. For information about these programs, customers can
      call Customer Service at (800) 451-5151. We still provide the same
      excellent customer service and welcome your calls. You can reach us by
      fax at (801) 222-4365. We welcome your comments, feedback, tips &
      tricks, and questions. If you need support for a WordPerfect product,
      reach us at (801) 765-2040, Priority : $25 fee (800) 861-2070, $2 per
      minute (900) 555-3535. Every time I launch WordPerfect 3.5, I get an
      error message about a “compatible language module not found”. I am
      using System 7.5.1 with the Japanese Language Kit. How can I get into
      WordPerfect? WordPerfect is looking for a Language Resource file that
      matches the installed System or Language Kit. You are running the
      English USA version of 3.5. On the launch of WordPerfect, it is looking
      for the same System language that matches WordPerfect, but can not find
      it due to your Japanese Language Kit. Simply rename the English (USA)
      or (CAN) file from the list below to match the appropriate language of
      your System or Language Kit. WordPerfect 3.5 will then launch without
      any strange error messages. Use Nihongo (JPN) if the Japanesse Language
      Kit is installed. Galego (ESP) Magyar (HUN) Slovensky (CSK) Ukrayins’ka
      (UKR) Afrikaans (ZAF) Russkij (SUN) Polski (POL) Bohemian (CSK) Catalá
      (ESP) Thai (THA) Zhong_Wen (TWN) Zhong_Wén (CHN) page 3 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS APRIL 1996 Hangul (KOR) Farsi (IRN) Faroese (FRO) Hindi (IND) Urdu
      (PAK) Hrvatski (YUG) Türkçe (TUR) Kypriaka (CYP) Bil-Malci (MLT)
      Islenska (ISL) Ellinika (GRC) Suomi (FIN) ’arabi (SAU) Nihongo (JPN)
      Lvrit (ISR) Norsk (NOR) Português (BRA) Português (PRT) Dansk (DNK)
      Español (ESP) Svenska (SWE) Flams (BEL) Nederlands (NLD) Italiano (ITA)
      Deutsch (AUT) Deutsch (CHE) Deutsch (DEU) Français (BEL) Français (CHE)
      Français (CAN) Français (FRA) English (IRL) English (AUS) English (CAN)
      English (GBR) English (USA) Your Apple CD-ROM is an extension. When
      installing WordPerfect 3.5 with your extensions off, you will not be
      able to access the WordPerfect 3.5 CD. To work around this, choose the
      System 7.5 Only set in Extensions Manager or remove all extensions
      except Apple CD-ROM from your Extensions folder. Be sure to reboot your
      computer once these changes have been made. Any macro used on a PC will
      not transfer to a Mac. The macro language between the two computers is
      very different and not compatible. Thus, any macro you used on your PC
      that you now want access to on your Mac will have to be recreated. Did
      you know that you can copy text, and then paste it into the name field
      in the Save As dialog box? That means that if the title of your
      document appears somewhere in the document, you don't have to type the
      title to save it. Just Copy the title, choose Save As, and then Paste.
      page 4 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 The maximum size for the User
      Dictionary is 32K. Once it reaches this size, any words that you
      continue to add into your Speller won’t actually be added. User
      Dictionary (USA) is found in your WordPerfect folder|Language folder.
      It can be opened in WordPerfect, edited, and resaved in a User
      Dictionary format. You can also use the ST Utility (found in the
      Language folder) to add your User Dictionary list of words to
      Dictionary (USA). Click on the Add to Dictionary File button and open
      the User Dictionary. You will then be able to add your words. The
      keystroke, Shift-Clear, will turn Num Lock on and off. If you have
      versions 3.1 or 3.5, Num Lock is on by default. For these versions, you
      can change this default, Edit|Preferences|Environment|Options menu. If
      the installation for WordPerfect continually toggles between install
      disk 1 and install disk 2, reboot your computer with extensions off
      (hold down the Shift key) and the installation should run smoothly.
      Helpful Hint: It is always a good idea to turn off extensions before
      installing any application. MASTERING MACROS BY JOHN RETHORST A Taste
      of AppleScript I want to get you well up and running with WP macros
      before we do very much with AppleScript, but now’s a good time for a
      quick look at how the two scripting environments interface, and
      complement each other. Even if you decide to concentrate on one or the
      other, it’s useful to know how the power of two works here. Besides,
      only your first scripting language is difficult to learn. Other
      languages have varying syntax, but the concepts are much the same. WP
      macros and AppleScript have different strengths, though. The macros run
      faster, since they’re entirely within WP, and are recordable, while
      AppleScript has the great advantage of being able to control multiple
      programs at once. Let’s take a look at a set of macros and scripts I
      wrote to make WordPerfect (3.1 and later) and FileMaker Pro (2.1v3 and
      later) work together to provide an academic citation page 5 WORDPERFECT
      MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 environment much like EndNote and ProCite do –
      except my set gives you all the power and elegance of FileMaker, works
      within WP much as EndNote does within (cough) Word, and is free. For
      that matter, FileMaker costs about half what either of the dedicated
      reference managers does and is five times the database. Upgrade to
      FileMaker Pro version 3, with full relational capability, and you have
      ten times the database. The finished set is downloadable from
      sumex/Info-Mac/text/wordperfect/johnscitations-1.1.2-wp-hqx and
      ftp.wordperfect.com/pub/wpapps/mac/macros/citation.hqx. Apple what?
      AppleScript (AS) is Apple Computer’s scripting language, and includes
      as software the AppleScript extension, the Script Editor application,
      and several scripting additions, collectively called osax (open
      scripting architecture extensions), with a plural, determined after hot
      debate in the community, of osaxen. These additions are the most fun,
      since large numbers of very creative third-party efforts are written
      every day and posted here and there on the net. We’ll use two osaxen,
      “Display Dialog” and “Beep”; both probably came with your copy of
      AppleScript; otherwise, both are downloadable from
      http://www.scriptweb.com/scriptweb/. The AppleScript extension and
      Script Editor come with system 7.5, with the books Applied Mac
      Scripting and The Tao of AppleScript, and numerous other places you
      might ferret out – check with your users’ group. Script Editor is an
      app that looks much like WP’s macro editor. Put osaxen in a folder
      called “Scripting Additions” and put that in your Extensions folder in
      the System folder. The very basics As setup, have a WP window open with
      a few paragraphs of plain text. Then go to the Finder and double-click
      on Script Editor. A window will open with some stuff at the top, and an
      area for text editing. Enter these lines: tell application
      "WordPerfect" activate set style of paragraph 1 in window 1 to bold end
      tell and your window should look like figure 1: page 6 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS APRIL 1996 Figure 1: An easy script Click the Check Syntax button
      at the right, and Script Editor will parse the text just like the WP
      macro editor does when you save a macro script, indenting some lines
      and changing some words to bold. It may also ask you where WordPerfect
      is on your disk, and will save this information with the script. Now
      click the Run button. Say hey. Just as easy as WP macros, but some
      different commands (choosing a paragraph by number, for example), and
      you can script several programs at once. Not all Mac programs, just the
      best ones. It will also be easy to learn, since you already know WP’s
      language. To see how similar WP macro and AppleScript syntax are,
      compare the following examples. Each one does the same thing. ;WP macro
      Get Text (Var01;" Password";"Enter password to beep Macintosh:") If
      (Var01="Biff") Beep Alert ("Right on!") Else Alert ("Sorry.") End If
      --------------------------- page 7 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996
      --AppleScript display dialog "Enter password to beep Macintosh:"
      default answer "" if result = {text returned:"Biff", button
      returned:"OK"} then beep display dialog "Right on!" buttons {"OK"} with
      icon caution else display dialog "Sorry." buttons {"OK"} with icon
      caution end if with both scripts shown here as they look after each
      one’s script editor parses the code, indenting some lines and putting
      some words in bold (which we call “pretty printing”). A comment line
      starts with a semicolon in the WP macro language, and with two hyphens
      in AppleScript. See how easy AppleScript is going to be? More Magic
      Let’s plan some amazing strategy here. What we’re going to do is: 1.
      With a keystroke, have WP tell AS to tell FileMaker (FM) to go to a
      database layout suitable for choosing a reference. 2. With a second
      keystroke, have FM give the relevant data to AS, which will then give
      it to WP, which will put it in our text, in the format we want.
      Caution: even as a WP Mac user, you may be startled by the degree of
      elegance this will have. First off: how do WP macros and AS scripts
      talk to each other? Easily. To run an AS script from a WP macro,
      include this line: Execute Apple Script ("Name of script") and, if that
      script is on a mounted volume, WP will find it and run it. To run a WP
      macro from an AS script, include this line: Do Script ("Name of WP
      Macro") and presto, the two languages are talking to each other. AS
      gives information to WP in the form of script variables, which are
      global variables in the WP language but which are picked up from the AS
      command to perform a WP macro. Thus, if you have a line in your AS
      script like: Do Script {"Name of WP Macro", apple, banana, coconut}
      page 8 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 that macro will run, and
      ScriptVar01 will contain “apple”; ScriptVar02 will contain “banana” and
      so on. There are 50 script variables, 01 through 50 (unlike globals or
      locals, which are numbered 00 through 49). Off we go As a first step,
      make a WP macro called “Citation” with this one line: Execute Apple
      Script ("Get Reference") and we’re ready to write an AppleScript. Save
      and close the Citation macro, switch to Script Editor, open a new
      window, and enter this: tell application "FileMaker" activate --
      command to bring the app to the front Do Script "All Records" end tell
      where “All Records,” or some name like that, will be a database script
      that goes to a list layout suitable for choosing a record. Note that
      the first and last lines of this script form a tell statement – a
      common design in AS. Later we’ll look at a script with two tell
      statements: one for FM and one for WP. There are various ways to save
      an AppleScript. The first is as a compiled script, which can then be
      run by Script Editor or by a WP macro. Another format in which to save
      a script is as an applet, which has an application icon in the Finder,
      and which you can run by double-clicking. This is the most convenient
      for the user and, in fact, FileMaker will require us to save a script
      this way. So save this script as an application, using the pop-up menu
      at the bottom of the Save dialog, as in figure 2. Call it “Get
      Reference”: page 9 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 Figure 2: Saving an
      AppleScript as an applet Note that when you choose Application from the
      pop-up, two check boxes will appear below it. Stay Open should not be
      checked, and Never Show Startup Screen should be checked. A second
      script Let’s cut another AppleScript to handle the data that will be
      coming back from FileMaker, or another database, into WP. Call this one
      “Put Reference,” and code it like this: tell application "FileMaker"
      activate --"theRecord", "trans1" etc. and "Mark" are variables set
      theRecord to the Current Record of Database 1 set trans1 to Cell
      "Transfer Field 1" of theRecord set trans2 to Cell "Transfer Field 2"
      of theRecord set trans3 to Cell "Transfer Field 3" of theRecord set
      trans4 to Cell "Transfer Field 4" of theRecord set trans5 to Cell
      "Transfer Field 5" of theRecord set trans6 to Cell "Transfer Field 6"
      of theRecord set trans7 to Cell "Transfer Field 7" of theRecord set
      trans8 to Cell "Transfer Field 8" of theRecord set trans9 to Cell
      "Transfer Field 9" of theRecord page 10 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996
      set trans10 to Cell "Transfer Field 10" of theRecord set trans11 to
      Cell "Transfer Field 11" of theRecord set trans12 to Cell "Transfer
      Field 12" of theRecord set mark to Cell "Mark" of theRecord end tell
      tell application "WordPerfect" activate Do Script {"Enter Reference",
      trans1, trans2, trans3, trans4,¬ trans5, trans6, trans7, trans8,
      trans9, trans10, trans11,¬ trans12, mark} end tell and there are a few
      syntax differences from WP’s language to notice. One is in the line
      starting “Do Script” and the next line. AppleScript won’t wrap lines
      automatically; you need to use the symbol “¬” which you get by typing
      OptionBackslash, to tell AppleScript that the next line is not a new
      command, but a continuation of the present line. Another difference is
      that a local variable can be named by any word that doesn’t have a
      specific meaning in AppleScript. Thus, “theRecord” can be a variable
      just ’cause we said so. The set command assigns a value to a variable.
      In this case, the variable “theRecord” is getting the contents of the
      current record in FileMaker, and “trans1” is getting the value of the
      database cell (intersection of field and record) of Transfer Field 1,
      for the current record. The interesting part of this script is how it
      passes the data in those variables to WordPerfect. This is in the “Do
      Script” command, where “Enter Reference” is the name of a WP macro that
      we’ll look at next month (due to space limitations – sorry). The
      variables follow as parameters. WP will pick these up as Script
      Variables, numbered 1 through however many there are in the Do Script
      command, up to 50. The contents of FileMaker’s cell Transfer Field 1 is
      thus going to land in WP as ScriptVar01. Spiffy, yes? Save this script
      as an applet called “Put Reference,” in a location where you won’t have
      to move it. I put it in the WordPerfect folder in the Preferences
      folder. Now let’s look at what you need to do with your AppleScriptable
      database. Doing a database I won’t go into the details of a FileMaker
      script here, since you may already know its scripting language or be
      using a different database program. Any one will do, as long as it can
      calculate 12 fields worth of data and pass them to AppleScript.
      Typically, you might have several fields of raw bibliographic data;
      mine are: page 11 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 Author Last Name
      Author First Name Second Author Last Name Second Author First Name
      Third Author Translator Paper Title Series Editor Book | Journal Title
      Journal Volume Journal Number City Publisher Month Year Orig. Date Page
      Numbers Call Number Notes from which I calculate 12 fields. These 12
      will allow for variations in individual reference types – journal or
      book, for example, as well as the difference between first and
      subsequent citations of one reference. The calculation for one of these
      looks like figure 3: Figure 3: A calculated field in FileMaker page 12
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 and a 13th field, called “Mark,” which
      contains a flag showing whether that reference has been used previously
      for the current paper. The FileMaker script puts an X in that field
      after sending that record’s data to AS. If that X is there, WP will see
      it and modify the next reference accordingly. Using the datafile What
      AppleScript has done so far is activate FileMaker or another database,
      and switched to a layout convenient for choosing a reference. When the
      user does that, just by clicking anywhere in that record, he or she can
      then call a FileMaker script that will call the applet “Put Reference”
      to take the transfer fields of that record and pass that data back to
      Applescript. To create such a FileMaker script, choose the “Send Apple
      Event” option in FileMaker’s ScriptMaker command. You get a dialog box
      like figure 4: Figure 4: Sending an Apple Event in FileMaker page 13
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 but with the small popup menu near the
      top defaulting to “do script.” Change that to “open application.” The
      Specify Application button at the bottom will click automatically.
      Navigate to wherever you placed “Put Reference” and specify it. The
      line in the FileMaker script will then be: Send Apple Event ["aevt",
      "oapp", "Put Reference"] and we’re done with AppleScript and FileMaker!
      Next month we’ll study an elegant WP macro that takes these script
      variables and puts them into the user’s choice of in-text citation,
      e.g. Discussions of anthropological relativism make plain how easy it
      is to impute variable ends by failing to allow for the possibility that
      common goals are articulated differently in different circumstances
      [Kitcher 1992]. with the bibliographic entry at the end reading:
      Kitcher, Philip. “The Naturalists Return.” Philosophical Review,
      (101,1), January 1992, p. 53-114. or footnotes, or endnotes, or either
      of those plus a bibliography. The user will also be able to
      set-and-forget the format of each of the 12 fields to bold, italic or
      underlined. If the user chooses footnotes or endnotes, the first
      citation of a reference has complete bibliographic data; subsequent
      notes say “op. cit.” with page number, or whatever else the user wants.
      That’s all coming your way next month, so stay tuned. Contents
      Copyright © 1996 by John Rethorst. Used by permission. * * * John
      Rethorst, author of Teach Yourself WordPerfect, thinks that macros by
      moonlight are romantic. 14PAGE WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 Equation
      Macro-by John Rethorst This macro addresses the need many users have
      expressed for equation entry with the number to the right, rather than
      above or below the equation. When you call the macro, it creates a
      table, two columns by one row. It puts the cursor in the wide left
      column and calls the equation editor. Enter your equation as usual, and
      close the equation window. The macro then adds an automatic number in
      the narrow right column, centered vertically, and asks you if you want
      to mark this equation with an ID of your choice for future
      cross-reference. Enter an ID, or click Cancel. (You can also click OK
      or press Return without making an entry, to cancel the dialog.) To
      reference the equation elsewhere, use Paragraph as the Target Type. The
      table’s borders are all no-print, so what you see on screen looks like:
      K x = d dl ä ã å å å å å å dx 1 d t ë í ì ì ì ì ì ì = d dl ä ã å å å å
      å å å m q x 1 - q 2 ë í ì ì ì ì ì ì ì (1) and what prints looks like: K
      x = d dl ä ã å å å å å å dx 1 d t ë í ì ì ì ì ì ì = d dl ä ã å å å å å
      å å m q x 1 - q 2 ë í ì ì ì ì ì ì ì (2) 15PAGE WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS APRIL 1996 Troubleshooting by Lisa Foster and Daniel Midgley Want
      to try out your troubleshooting skills? Well, here’s a helpful guide.
      Read it, print it, and keep it handy. These useful steps can assist you
      in your hunt to eliminate any annoying problem that creeps up in
      WordPerfect. GENERAL TROUBLESHOOTING 1. Can you duplicate the problem?
      Click File|New to see if the same problem occurs at a blank document
      screen. If you can’t duplicate the problem: You can be sure that
      something is wrong with the document. OR You have formatted your
      document incorrectly. (Check Show Codes or retype the problem section).
      If you can duplicate the problem: Keep troubleshooting. 2. Extensions
      off. Hold down the Shift key and restart the computer. Launch
      WordPerfect and test the problem. If you can’t duplicate the problem,
      you have an extension conflict. Find it and disable it. (See Extension
      Conflict below for help). If the problem still persists, continue
      troubleshooting. 3. Trash the WordPerfect Preferences file. Quit
      WordPerfect|System Folder|Preferences|WordPerfect. Place Preferences
      (USA) in the trash. This file contains any customized settings you have
      made to WordPerfect: default font, new screen color, tool bars
      displayed on screen, etc. Launch WordPerfect and the Preferences file
      is automatically rebuilt. Common indications this file is damaged: Type
      1, 2, or 3 errors 4. Rebuild the desktop. Hold down Command-Option and
      restart the computer. This is a sure fix for any desktop icons that
      have changed to generic icons. page 16 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996
      5. Reinstall WordPerfect. WordPerfect may not have been installed
      correctly. Trash the WordPerfect folder (double check that you don’t
      delete any personal documents), empty the trash. Boot with extensions
      off and reinstall. 6. Something is wrong on the System. Test other
      applications for the same problem, I.E. SimpleText. This is a good
      troubleshooting test for printing problems. If you are having
      difficulty printing from WordPerfect, try printing from the desktop or
      from SimpleText. If the same problem occurs outside of WordPerfect, the
      problem is System based, contact Apple. If the problem does not exist
      in other applications, it’s either the WordPerfect application or
      document specific. HELP FOR DOCUMENT DAMAGE The most common scenarios
      of a damaged document: • A file refuses to open. It either gives an
      error message, forces WordPerfect to quit, or shuts down the Macintosh
      entirely. Other WordPerfect files open just fine. • While scrolling
      through a document, you lock up, or WordPerfect just quits. Again,
      other WordPerfect documents are fine. • You’re working in a document
      and receive an error message, “A Document Error Has Occurred!”. This is
      your first and biggest clue that your document is damaged. Remember,
      the best defence against this problem is prevention. Backup your work
      regularly. Keep copies of important files in several locations. If you
      do encounter any of the above, your document may be damaged.
      WordPerfect has ways of recovering your work, try the following: 1.
      Start with an untitled document, File|New. 2. Type an ‘x’ on the
      document screen. 3. Click Insert|File. (For pre-3.5 users: Click
      File|Insert File). 4. In the Insert dialog box, choose Formatted Text
      Only from the Retain menu (Text and Attributes Only can also be used in
      extreme cases). 5. Insert the document. 6. Click File|Save As. page 17
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 7. Give the document a new name and
      change the format to WordPerfect 3 Compressed. 8. Save the document. 9.
      Close the document. 10. Reopen this newly-named document. Another
      dusting and cleaning option: This option is a good one to try for any
      document specific problems. 1. Insert the document using steps 1-5
      above (choose Formatted Text Only). 2. Place the cursor before the
      first character of text in the document, not the ‘x’. 3. Manually
      select the document from the first line of text to the bottom of the
      document. Do not bypass this step with Select All. 4. Click Edit|Cut.
      5. Click File|New. 6. Click Edit|Paste. 7. Save the document with a new
      name. Other Tips A -36 error is a disk related error. The disk is
      damaged and probably most of its contents as well. One of the best
      tools for this type of error comes from Apple. Disk First Aid (usually
      found on the Tidbits disk that came with your System disks) can help
      recover the contents of a floppy disk. Once you recover the data, it’s
      best to get rid of the disk. Document Damage may show itself by
      requiring a password for the document (when the document was never
      saved with a password). The damage is usually pretty deep on these
      files. Try any of the above steps to get the document open. Worse comes
      to worse. If your document can not be salvaged with any of these
      troublehsooting steps, your final solution is to retype the document.
      Start at a new document screen and be careful not to copy and paste any
      old (damaged) text into your new file. EXTENSION CONFLICT If you
      uncover an extension conflict, here’s how to find the guilty extension:
      page 18 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 Using Extensions Manager
      (System 7.5, located in the System Folder|Control Panels) • Turn all
      extensions off. Restart the computer. Test the problem to make sure
      that it doesn’t occur. • Turn extensions back on in small groups of
      5-10. Restart the computer and test the problem. • Repeat this process
      until the problem occurs. The last group of extensions turned on
      contains the conflicting extension. Test the problem with each of these
      extensions turned off, one by one. This is a basic process of
      elimination. • Once the extension is discovered, make sure it remains
      off. If using any System earlier than 7.5, these same steps can be
      followed just using your Extensions folder located in the System
      Folder. Remove all extensions from the folder (into a temporary folder
      on the desktop) and place them back in groups of 5–10. Restart the
      computer, test the problem, and repeat. If you have any other problems,
      or need further assistance, we are here for you in customer support. We
      can be reached at 801-765-4020. Have your PIN or serial number handy.
      Good Luck with your troubleshooting! Every document I open is listed as
      “Untitled” and I have to resave it with the same name. What to do?
      Click on Edit|Preferences|Files. Change the Save As File Dialog Format
      from WordPerfect 3 Stationery (or Template) to just WordPerfect 3.
      Click on OK and close the Preferences dialog box. Each document you
      open from now on should be listed with the appropriate name. When I
      launch the WordPerfect 3.5 installation from CD on my Powerbook, I can
      not see the install buttons at the bottom of the screen. Scroll to the
      bottom of the WordPerfect 3.5 CD window. Double click on the Installers
      folder and choose WP Installer. All parts of this installation will be
      visible on your small Powerbook screen. page 19 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS APRIL 1996 I have several WPWin 6.0 documents that won’t open in
      WordPerfect for Mac 3.5, all I get is an error message stating
      something about “Can not find the application PC Exchange.....” It’s an
      extension conflict. Reboot your computer holding down the Shift key to
      turn off all your extensions. All of your WPWin 6.0 documents should
      now open in 3.5. Find the conflicting extension and disable it. A
      common extension conflict in this scenario is MacLinkPlus for Easy
      Open. **HINT for Power Macs: If your 5.1 or 6.0/6.1 documents open as
      blank documents, or just won’t open at all in WPMac 3.5, make sure that
      you have Modern Memory Manager turned on in the Memory Control Panel. I
      have a list of names, first name and then last name. Some of the names
      have a middle initial and others do not. How do I sort this list by
      last name? Set up your sort for Word -1. This will sort your list by
      the last word in each line, which is the last name. We welcome your
      comments, suggestions, letters, etc. • What did you like about the
      WordPerfect Mac News? • How was the layout? (Easy to find things, not
      too cluttered, graphics helpful?) • What would you change about the
      WordPerfect Mac News? • What features would you like to see highlighted
      in a future issue? • Which do you use? o Mac o DOS o Windows o UNIX o
      Other • Do you read this magazine on the screen, or do you print it? o
      Read on screen o Print it out page 20 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS APRIL 1996 •
      Where did you find the WordPerfect Mac News? • On the Macintosh, would
      you describe yourself as… o A beginner o A fairly proficient user o A
      power user • On WordPerfect, would you describe yourself as… o A
      beginner o A fairly proficient user o A power user You can reach us by
      fax at (801) 222-4365, or “snail mail” to WP Mac News, MS Mac Group,
      Corel, 567 E. Timpanogos Parkway, Orem UT 84057-2399. Send your
      letters, requests, ideas for features, and tips & tricks to us! We
      reserve the right to edit any material received for content, clarity,
      and length. By submitting material to the WordPerfect Mac News, you
      agree to assign any and all rights, title, and interest which you may
      have to your submission material and any work Corel derives from such
      submission material to Corel, unless otherwise specified. The
      WordPerfect Mac News was created using WordPerfect 3.5 for Macintosh.
      The headings and the link buttons were created using ColorIt!™ 2.3 by
      MicroFrontier, Inc. Then the whole thing was printed to WordPerfect
      Envoy. WordPerfect 3.5, Document Experts, and WordPerfect Envoy are
      trademarks of Corel. ColorIt!™ is a trademark of MicroFrontier Inc.
      Apple and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Computers Inc.
      NOTICE P LEASE R EAD: You accept this information with the
      understanding that Corel makes no representations or warranties as to
      the suitability of this information for your particular purpose, and
      that to the extent you use or implement this information in your own
      setting, you do so at your own risk. In no event will Corel be liable
      for any damages, whether consequential, incidental, or special, arising
      out of the use of or inability to use the information provided
      herewith. Copyright Corel © , 1996. All rights reserved. If you do
      print out the WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle it. page 21