WP Mac News 95/12

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      Click on one. It’s the month for Christmas carols, lights, and
      presents! Here in Utah, we also have snow-filled mountains and cold
      winter nights! Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas from all of us here
      at Novell Macintosh Technical Support. We hope that you enjoy your
      holiday season. Take a moment during your holiday vacation to turn on
      your Mac and explore WordPerfect. Start typing those New Year’s
      resolutions and resolve to read our monthly newsletter. For this month,
      we have exciting Tips and Tricks, intriguing FAQs, an entertaining
      macro column by John Rethorst, and an informative feature article on
      WordPerfect 3.5’s new HTML tools. So, put up your feet, drink some
      eggnog, and enjoy our December issue. Best wishes and a Happy New
      Year! Lisa The WordPerfect Mac News is published monthly. Find us at: •
      ftp.wordperfect.com • BBS (801) 225-4414 • CompuServe: Go wordperfect
      and check the Mac Software Library. • AOL: Keyword wordperfect in the
      Help and Info Files section of the Software Library. • WWW :
      http://netwire.novell.com/home/mac/macnews/inde x.htm Credits Editing
      and layout Lisa Foster Ken Freeman Web Weaver Ken Freeman Linkage Ken
      Freeman Error Examination Lisa Foster Moral Support Hans Rasmussen Don
      Fowles Tyler Thompson Brian Rasmussen David Sessions and Bryan
      Whittaker WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 You can reach us by e-mail
      at macmail@..., or by fax at (801) 222-6980 . We welcome your
      comments, feedback, tips & tricks, and questions. Due to the sheer
      volume of mail we receive, you may not get a personal reply. If you
      need support for a WordPerfect product, use the support number in your
      User’s Guide. The December issue of MacUser reviews Wordperfect 3.5.
      The author states that WP 3.5 ships with two applications called
      QuickTasks, which allows imports of Excel spreadsheets and Filemaker
      Pro databases into a pre-formatted WP table. Sounds like a nice
      feature! Please clarify if this QuickTask feature really exists and, if
      so, how can we get it? QuickTasks install in the WordPerfect 3.5 folder
      when you perform a complete install. The “QuickTasks Read Me” inside
      the QuickTasks folder explains how you can easily import Excel or
      Filemaker Pro data into WordPerfect. When will a WordPerfect 3.5 Demo
      or Test drive be available for Macintosh? Due to popular demand, a Demo
      version of WordPerfect 3.5 is being built. Keep your eyes posted on our
      ftp site, America Online and Compuserve. What a shocker it was to read
      that Novell has decided to dump all of the WordPerfect acquisitions
      they made last year! This almost smacks of something that Bill Gates
      would do...buy a superior product and then simply close the doors and
      abandon it, making sure that the customers were left high and dry with
      no place to turn for support, except Microsoft. Well, this is one
      consumer that is willing to do something about it and NEVER use the
      Microsoft Word Processor. I would prefer to go to MacWrite before I
      would use a non-mac word processor that doesn't support any of the
      Apple Macintosh features. I certainly hope that perhaps the employees
      themselves purchase WordPerfect and continue their good work or that
      another company such as Claris sees fit to purchase this (these?)
      wonderful products. Despite confusion in the marketplace about Novell’s
      recent decision to sell the Business Applications group (which includes
      WordPerfect for Macintosh), WordPerfect for Macintosh is selling
      remarkably well! The employees working with the Macintosh product are
      confident that the new buyers will continue to build upon the success
      of WordPerfect for Macintosh. We are continuing to offer the same world
      class support that won the 1994 MacWorld World Class award and we are
      working closely with Apple and others to develop new features and
      products. We appreciate your business and value your loyalty in
      sticking with WordPerfect. We will continue to provide the features you
      want while supporting new Apple technology with the most MacCompatable
      word processor available! page 2 WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 Are
      electronic versions of the Manual available for WordPerfect 3.5? The
      CDROM version of WordPerfect 3.5 only includes electronic documentation
      in Envoy format. The advantages to electronic documentation include: •
      You get quick and easy access to the User Guide from the CD-ROM—no
      hunting for printed manuals or fumbling with the pages while you try to
      work. • Electronic documentation is searchable. • You can make notes on
      the documentation electronically. • You can setup bookmarks to take you
      to the sections you refer to often. • It doesn't take up shelf space! •
      You can print any part of the electronic documentation, including your
      added notes! If you purchased WordPerfect 3.5 on CDROM yet, still
      prefer a printed manual, you can obtain a free manual by calling 1(800)
      451-5151. Is 3.5 fat binary? I would like to use it on my Power Mac (in
      native mode, I hope) when at home, and on my 68K PowerBook when on the
      road. The installer will automatically install the proper 68K or Power
      Macintosh native version. The custom install option for “Run WP From A
      Network” will install a fat binary version that will run optimized code
      on both a 68K or Power Mac. This is useful for Network users or those
      using a 68K Mac upgraded to a PowerPC (they can use both). page 3
      WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 KEYBOARD TEMPLATE Print the Keyboard
      Template and tape it to your keyboard for a quick keystroke reference.
      This template is located in the WordPerfect Documentation Folder.
      MEMORY ALLOCATION Check the Get Info screen for WordPerfect. Make sure
      that the Minimum memory size never changes from 1200 K. Your Preferred
      size can vary from 3000 K on up, depending upon your available RAM.
      Power Macintosh users will get better performance with virtual memory
      turned on (see your Power Macintosh Read Me). Another added benefit is
      that WordPerfect’s required memory allocation will decrease by 2776K
      with virtual memory on. PRINTING MULTIPLE FILES At the Finder, select
      multiple documents by holding down the Shift key. Click on File|Print.
      This will send all selected documents to the printer at once. QUICK
      ACCESS TO ENDNOTES AND FOOTNOTES You can double click the superscript
      number of an endnote or footnote for quick access to the corresponding
      text. Then you can advance to the next or previous note by clicking on
      the directional arrows on the Toolbar. EJECTING A DISK The best way to
      eject a disk is to drag the disk icon to the Trash. If you use the
      Eject Disk command from the Special menu a ghosted image of the disk
      will remain on the desktop. The Mac is expecting you to use the disk
      again soon and may prompt you to reinsert the disk. If you do not have
      that exact disk available, Command-. (Period) will cancel the dialog.
      You can then drag the ghosted image to the Trash to remove it.
      NON-BREAKING SPACE To get a space between two words that will not break
      at the end of the line, you can use the hard space. Command-Space will
      place a hard space between the words and if the space falls at the end
      of a line, both words will wrap. page 4 WordPerfect Mac News December
      1995 Mastering Macros by John Rethorst WINDOWS No, not the ’95 flavor,
      thank you, but those things on our Mac screen. Let’s look at how macros
      can make our use and handling of windows easier and more fun. TILING
      WINDOWS HORIZONTALLY The stock WP command to tile windows sets two open
      windows next to each other vertically, and tiles larger numbers of
      windows to approximate squares on screen. Although this arrangement is
      useful for an idea of what each window contains, I work better with
      windows tiled horizontally so that each one shows whole lines of text.
      Sizing and moving windows by hand is a drag, though (pun intended), so
      let’s write a macro to do it. First off, what kind of information do we
      need? To calculate window sizes and positions so that each of, say,
      four open windows takes up one-fourth of the screen (minus the menu
      bar), positioned succeeding fourths of the way down the screen, we’ll
      need to know the screen size. This is provided by the two variables
      ScreenSizeH and ScreensizeV. We’ll also need the number of open
      windows, for which the variable is NumberOfWindows. How did I learn
      about these variables? I wandered around the online macro help,
      thinking as I looked at each command and variable, “What can I do with
      this one?” Off we go. ScreenSizeH we can use as is, since there’s
      nothing else taking up screen space horizontally. This will give us
      windows at the width of the screen. We’ll have a fix for that later, to
      give us windows at standard width. For the vertical dimension, we’ll be
      sizing windows so that if two windows are open, each takes up half the
      screen; if three, a third and so on. The vertical dimension will thus
      approximately be ScreenSizeV/NumberofWindows – approximately, since we
      have to subtract the 20 points (or pixels) taken up by the menu bar.
      The commands we’ll use with this data are Size Window and Move Window.
      These both take the name of the window as their first page 5
      WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 parameter, as you see in the online
      macro help. You could manipulate specific windows this way: <Size
      Window ("My First Novel")> etc., or use the variable FrontWindow to
      specify that you want to operate on the frontmost window. As we’ve seen
      before, a character expression can be text in quotes, or a variable
      that’s not in quotes. So we start with this code: Size Window
      (FrontWindow;ScreenSizeH;(ScreenSizeV-20)/NumberofWindows-20) and note
      that for the vertical dimension, we’re dividing the height of the
      screen by the number of windows minus 20 (for the size of the usable
      screen) and further subtracting 20 so the windows will fit in the
      usable screen. Units of measurement in macros are always points unless
      otherwise specified. Once the front window is sized correctly, let’s
      move it, with the Move Window command. Since you’re looking up the
      syntax of each command in the online help as we go along (aren’t you?),
      you see that the parameters for this command are Window Name;
      Horizontal Position; Vertical Position. So we get the line: Move Window
      (FrontWindow;1;(ScreenSizeV-20) /NumberofWindows*Var01+40 Hold it.
      What’s “Var01+40” doing in there? Here’s where things get a little
      complicated conceptually. All windows are going to be the same size,
      but at different positions. What we need to do is keep count of the
      number of windows as we move and size them, so that we put the first
      window in the top position, the second window in the second and so on.
      Let’s write a counter: Assign (Var01;Var01+1) so that every time we
      repeat the procedure, Var01 will tell us which window we’re working
      with. The addition of 40 corrects for the subtractions in the earlier
      lines. So that this procedure cycles through all open windows, and
      repeats the right number of times, we’ll specify a repeat loop, and add
      these lines: Repeat Cycle Windows [Rest of script here] Until
      (Var01=NumberOfWindows) and we’re almost there. For simplification, we
      worked this up leaving the horizontal dimension alone, so the script
      now sizes windows to the width of the screen. This would be better for
      some monitor sizes than others. Generally, I like my windows at
      standard width. We could simply specify that width (627 points), except
      that it’s a little wider than the screens on compact Macs. So, at the
      start page 6 WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 of the script, let’s
      get the screen size, compare it to 627 points, and go with the smaller
      of the two, as in: If (ScreenSizeH<627) Assign (Var00;ScreenSizeH) Else
      Assign (Var00;627) End If and use Var00 instead of ScreenSizeH in the
      rest of the script. For a final touch, let’s turn display off with the
      line: Display (Off) since the macro will run much faster if it doesn’t
      redraw the contents of each window as in goes along. In case you got
      lost somewhere, here’s the whole thing: Display (Off) If
      (ScreenSizeH<627) Assign (Var00;ScreenSizeH) Else Assign (Var00;627)
      End If ; Repeat Cycle Windows Size Window
      (FrontWindow;Var00;(ScreenSizeV-20)/NumberOfWindows-20) Move Window
      (FrontWindow;1;(ScreenSizeV-20)/NumberOfWindows*Var01+40) Assign
      (Var01;Var01+1) Until (Var01=NumberOfWindows) which will work for any
      number of windows, until the number that, depending on your monitor,
      would require each window to be smaller vertically than WP’s minimum
      size (try making a window as small vertically as you can, and you’ll
      see what that is). So if you run this macro with 16 windows open,
      they’re going to fall over each other. With a more reasonable number,
      they’ll line up perfectly. 7PAGE WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS DECEMBER 1995 NEW
      VIEW If you’ve used spreadsheets or a certain other Mac word processor,
      you know about split windows: open a second view of the same document,
      which you can scroll independently and see whether what you’re saying
      on page 25 jibes with what you said on page 11. WP will let you open a
      read-only second window of an open document, and you can then size and
      move the two views so you can see them both. If they’re the only two
      windows open, you can run the Tile Horizontally macro we just wrote.
      But what if you have five windows open, but want a second view of the
      active document, so that these two views take up the entire screen?
      Well, we can do that too. This macro will have similarities to Tile
      Windows. The main difference is that it will open a file, using the
      command Open Document. This command can specify a file to open, as in:
      Open Document ("Some Disk:Some Folder:Some File") with the path in
      quotes, and parts separated by colons. The command will find this file
      as long as there is one by that name in that location. If not, the
      macro returns an error and quits. In the present case, we don’t know
      what the document name or location will be, just that it’s the active
      file. No problem: the read-only variable DocumentName tells us the
      file’s name. So we can start with: Open Document (DocumentName) which
      we’ll follow with commands to move and size windows – only two this
      time – to fill the screen. We can handle the first window with: Size
      Window (FrontWindow;Var01;ScreenSizeV/2-40) Move Window
      (FrontWindow;1;ScreenSizeV/2+40) so that the original window of the
      document fills the top half of the screen. The next step is harder,
      though, since we don’t know how many windows the user has open. If he
      or she had only one window open, and we just opened a second, we could
      just Cycle Windows and perform moving and sizing on the new active
      window. What if the user has three other windows open, though? The
      design we want is to open a new view of the active doc and set both
      views to take up half the screen, in front of all other windows. The
      Cycle Windows macro command (just like the Next Window program command,
      on the Window menu) brings the back window to the front, while what we
      want to work with is the two frontmost windows. So using the Cycle
      Windows command once isn’t going to work. Instead, let’s use: Assign
      (Var49;FrontWindow) Repeat Cycle Windows page 8 WordPerfect Mac
      News December 1995 Until (Var49=FrontWindow) which sets Var49 to the
      name of the (new) front window, and then keeps sending the back window
      to the front, until the current front window has the same name as
      Var49. This won’t be the same (new) window, though: it will be the
      original front window. At this point we can size and move the original
      window: Size Window (FrontWindow;Var01;ScreenSizeV/2-20) Move Window
      (FrontWindow;1;40) so that the original, editable window is at the top,
      and we’re done! Try this, and then put a few lines of code at the top
      of the script to set window width to standard or to screen size,
      whichever is less. Note that this macro won’t automate the “File is
      already open for writing – open as readonly?” dialog. What we can fix,
      though. is the error message we’d otherwise get if the user clicks
      Cancel in that dialog. We do that with a first line: On error (end) and
      a last line: Label (end) so if the user clicks Cancel, the macro goes
      to the label specified if it returns an error – and just ends without
      further dialogs. Here’s the whole script: On Error (end) If
      (ScreenSizeH<627) Assign (Var01;ScreenSizeH) Else Assign (Var01;627)
      End If Open Document (DocumentName) Size Window
      (FrontWindow;Var01;ScreenSizeV/2-40) Move Window
      (FrontWindow;1;ScreenSizeV/2+40) Assign (Var49;FrontWindow) Repeat
      Cycle Windows Until (Var49=FrontWindow) Size Window
      (FrontWindow;Var01;ScreenSizeV/2-20) Move Window (FrontWindow;1;40)
      page 9 WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 Cycle Windows Label (end)
      SECOND WINDOW To finish up, let’s look at the macro I probably use more
      than any other. Even though I may have three or more windows open, I go
      from the top window to the second window and back more often than I
      visit the others. I’ve assigned a one-handed keystroke to this macro
      for maximum convenience. This macro could be a one-liner: Select Window
      (NextWindow) and that would be it. If there were only one window open,
      though, and you called this macro, it would return an error. So an
      elaboration is: If (NumberOfWindows>1) Select Window (NextWindow) End
      If which would do it for most folks. If you wanted a beep when there’s
      only one window open, you could write: If (NumberOfWindows>1) Select
      Window (NextWindow) Else Beep End If and, if you’re concerned that your
      user will have a new view open, or otherwise have two docs with the
      same name open, you can make further error correction, and end up with
      this script: If (NumberOfWindows>1) If (FrontWindow=NextWindow) Assign
      (Var01;NextWindow) Repeat Cycle Windows Until (Var01=FrontWindow) Else
      Select Window (NextWindow) page 10 WordPerfect Mac News December 1995
      End If Else Beep End If to cover all the bases. That’s one
      consideration when cutting code: how bulletproof do you want to make
      it? The best macros, in the Macintosh tradition, take care of the user,
      but it is more work. Think on these things, have a nice holiday, and
      I’ll see you early next year. QUIZ Answer to last month’s quiz: an
      alert to tell the user who’s just run Glossary, that the Assign macro
      needs to be run, would be at the top of Glossary, and go like: If
      (GlobalVar49="") Alert ("You haven't run Assign Glossary Entries yet.
      Get with it.") End If This month’s quiz: hey, the holidays are here. No
      quiz. * * * John Rethorst, author of Teach Yourself WordPerfect, hopes
      that Santa will bring lots of macros. page 11 WordPerfect Mac
      News December 1995 Magic Square by Daniel Midgley A Magic Square is a
      grid filled with the numbers 1 through whatever, arranged so that all
      rows, all columns, and both diagonals add up to the same number. Choose
      an odd number of columns and WordPerfect will do the math and fill in
      all the numbers! Remove some of the numbers and use it as a math
      puzzle! 17 24 1 8 15 23 5 7 14 16 4 6 13 20 22 10 12 19 21 3
      11 18 25 2 9 Cruising Cursor by Ken Freeman Have you ever wanted to
      quickly jump to the beginning or end of a table row? WordPerfect has
      keystrokes for just about everything, except taking your cursor to the
      beginning or end of a table row. Well, these two macros will do just
      that. They can be assigned to the keystroke of your choice. I chose
      Control-Right Arrow to move to the end of the row and Control-Left
      Arrow to move to the beginning of the row. Normally, we don’t include
      the actual macro text here, but these two macros were so simple we
      thought we would throw them in. page 12 WordPerfect Mac News December
      1995 Move to Beginning of Row Macro If (InTableFlag=0) Alert ("Your
      cursor must be within a table to use this macro.") End Macro End If
      Position To Cell (TableID;1;TableRowNum) Beginning of Line () ; remove
      this line to get the cursor to move to the end of the text in the first
      column. Move to End of Row Macro If (InTableFlag=0) Alert ("Your cursor
      must be within a table to use this macro.") End Macro End If Position
      To Cell (TableID;TableMaxColumnNum;TableRowNum) End of Line () ; Remove
      this line to get the cursor to move to the beginning of any text in the
      last cell of the row. Handy Macro by Daniel Midgley Here’s a handy
      macro: Save Close New Document Assign this to some easy-to-remember
      keystroke and then use it to put away documents and begin new ones. It
      saves you from having to choose Save, Close and New everytime. This
      month’s macros are included in the December Macros Read Me if you
      downloaded the Envoy version of the newsletter. They can also be found
      at “ftp://ftp.wordperfect.com/pub /wpapps/mac/mac_news/newsmcro”. page
      13 WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 Internet Publishing with
      WordPerfect 3.5 by Ken Freeman Everyone is publishing on the Internet!
      I’ve even noticed URL’s on the bottom of printed ads and flashing on
      the television screen at the end of many commercials. It has become an
      advantageous way to spread information to a huge audience. Companies
      are posting job openings, press releases, and product information.
      Individuals are posting resumés, items for sale, and club or special
      interest information. In the past, to publish on the Internet you
      either had to learn HTML (Hypertext Markup Language), or pay someone to
      publish your information. HTML isn’t rocket science, but who’s got the
      time to sit down and learn it? WordPerfect 3.5 allows you to
      concentrate your creativity and ingenuity into the design and content
      of your document. The rest is up to 3.5, let WordPerfect convert your
      document to HTML! A new button on the Control bar provides access to
      the new HTML tools. A single click on the HTML button gives an easy
      view of all your formatting options. They include: Head, Heading,
      Style, Quote, Image, “a horizontal line”, and Preview. Let’s talk about
      how to use each of the options on the HTML Toolbar. HEAD A proper HTML
      document includes a Head section that defines the document title. This
      title will be used as the bookmark name and window name when viewing
      the file in a web browser. page 14 WordPerfect Mac News December 1995
      Title = Give the document a title. I am not aware of a limit to the
      number of characters in the title, but you want to keep it to a single
      line. I would suggest no more than 35 characters. Other = Here you can
      describe your document in greater detail. This information will be part
      of the HTML text, but does not display in the browser. Background =
      Here you can enter a URL or path to a background graphic. Rather than
      typing the path to the file, I prefer to use the Find File button. The
      familiar Open dialog box allows you to locate your graphic. Use your
      company logo to add a professional and creative look! Make sure that
      the graphic contains lite shades that will not distract from or bleed
      into the body of your document. Addressing = This designates the type
      of addressing for the path to the background graphic. Use As Is will
      generate HTML text with exactly what you entered in the Background
      line. Generate Relative will generate a relative path from the saved
      document to the graphic image (This is the most commonly used
      addressing type). Generate Full will generate a full path name to the
      image file starting at the root level of the volume where the graphic
      is saved. The path is generated when the document is saved. Document
      Colors = Assign the text color and if you are not using a graphical
      background, you can choose a background color. page 15 WordPerfect Mac
      News December 1995 Link Colors = Hypertext links are noted by the
      underlined, colored text. One click on a link can take you to: another
      section in the current document, a separate document, or a specified
      Internet Address. You can set the color for: the Hyperlink itself, the
      link as you activate or click on it, and the link after you have
      visited it. Your web browser may have preference settings that override
      or permit these color settings (check your browser preferences if your
      colors change). HEADING The Heading pop-up menu offers different
      paragraph styles. These Heading styles are based on the web browser you
      are using. That means that Heading 1 might look different when using
      Netscape then when using Mosaic. WordPerfect’s Heading options are
      based on Netscape's defaults. HTML does not recognize a normal document
      font change made via WordPerfect’s Font and Size menus. Headings
      provide a quick and easy access for a font change. You may customize
      these Heading styles. Their settings can be found under the Edit
      menu|Preferences|HTML. STYLE The Style pop-up menu offers various
      attributes supported by HTML. These attributes depend upon the browser
      that you are using to view HTML files. You can customize these
      attribute styles. Again, all HTML settings can be found under the Edit
      menu|Preferences|HTML. Remember, these settings are NOT necessarily how
      they will look in your browser! QUOTE Creates a block quote. This is an
      HTML tag that displays indented. For example: “I always thought that
      ‘Intel Inside’ was a warning required by Truth in Advertising laws...”
      - Chris Torek, torek@... IMAGE The image button is used to insert
      GIF or JPEG images into your document. Clicking the Image button brings
      up this dialog: page 16 WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 Image
      Location = Here you want to point to the graphic’s location. The HTML
      document will not actually contain the graphic elements, but instead
      will have pointers to the graphic file. The Find File button will bring
      up the familiar Open dialog box allowing you to navigate your way to
      the desired graphic file. Remember, you want to use GIF or JPEG images.
      Alternate Text = Some browsers do not display graphics. Some people
      choose to disable graphics from viewing in their browsers to increase
      speed. For these situations you may want to substitute a text string to
      be used in place of the graphic image. This ‘alternate text’ will
      display if the graphic is not found, is damaged, or will not display
      for one reason or another. Addressing = This designates the type of
      addressing for the path to a graphic. Use As Is will generate HTML text
      with exactly what you entered in the Image Location line. Generate
      Relative will generate a relative path from the saved document to the
      graphic image (This is the most commonly used addressing type).
      Generate Full will generate a full path name to the image file starting
      at the root level of the volume where the graphic is saved. The path
      will generate when the document is saved. Align = Choose the
      appropriate alignment option. Left = Image aligns to left margin, text
      wraps to the right. Right = Image aligns to the right margin and text
      wraps to the left. Top = Aligns image with the top of the tallest item
      in the line. Middle = Aligns the baseline of the current line with the
      middle of the image. page 17 WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 Bottom
      = Aligns the bottom of the image with the baseline of the current line.
      Text Top = Aligns image with the top of the tallest text in the line
      (this is usually, but not always, the same as Align Top). Baseline =
      Aligns the bottom of the image with the baseline of the current line.
      Abs Middle = Aligns the middle of the current line with the middle of
      the image. Abs Bottom = Aligns the bottom of the image with the bottom
      of the current line (identical to baseline). For a more detailed
      explanation of the align attributes see http://home.netscape.com/assist
      /net_sites/html_extensions.html Export Size (checkbox) = Includes the
      height and width of the graphic image as part of the HTML text. This
      feature is automatic when using the Find File button. If you manually
      type the URL or path, WordPerfect doesn’t know the graphic size, and
      therefore can’t correctly export the width and height of the graphic.
      Is Map (checkbox) = Defines the image as a MAP and adds the ismap tag
      to the image HTML tag when the HTML is generated upon saving. MAP
      images allow you to assign multiple URLs to a single graphic. Creating
      MAP images requires special software. We use a shareware product called
      WebMap. Image Size = Quick and easy access to the graphic’s width and
      height. If you click on the inches abbreviation (in), you can change
      the unit of measurement. When you use the Find File button, WordPerfect
      will automatically retain the image size. If you resize the image from
      within WordPerfect these numbers will adjust. HORIZONTAL LINE BUTTON
      This button is used to insert horizontal lines. Position your cursor
      where you would like to insert a line and click this button. You will
      get a line like the one below. If you double click the line itself, you
      will get the following options dialog: page 18 WordPerfect Mac
      News December 1995 Line Length = At 100% the line will go from margin
      to margin. If you change your margin settings, the line will
      automatically adjust. If you want a specific line length, place the
      measurement in the second inches box. Again, you can click on the “in”
      to change the unit of measurement (you can do this in most all
      WordPerfect’s dialogs). Thickness = Base the thickness of the line on
      the current document line height, or set your own thickness. If you
      choose a thickness more than the current line height it may display
      truncated in WordPerfect, but will display properly in a web browser.
      Alignment = Choose between top, middle, bottom, left, center, or right
      justification. Shade (checkbox) = With the simple click of a mouse you
      can have a shaded or unshaded line. The default is shaded. PREVIEW The
      preview button will export your document in HTML format, launch
      Netscape (or other browser as set in HTML preferences) and then display
      the HTML document. TIPS, TRICKS, AND THINGS TO REMEMBER! Lists Lists
      are popular methods to organize or highlight information. There are
      three kinds of lists you can generate: Bullet lists (Unnumbered lists),
      Numbered lists, and Definition lists. • Bullet List or in HTML lingo,
      an “unnumbered list.” WordPerfect converts a Bullet (Option–8) followed
      by an indent (Command-Shift-I) to an unnumbered list tag in HTML. 1.
      Numbered List. WordPerfect converts Outlining to a number list. page 19
      WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 Definition list. WordPerfect
      converts indented text to a definition list. Tabs HTML does not
      recognize a tab. Use indents instead of tabs to align your text. Typing
      real HTML You can mix actual HTML text anywhere in the document. If you
      want to show HTML tags within an HTML document you must use what are
      called entities. To get the HTML tag, for example, <Font Size>, you
      would type <Font Size>. The < stands for the Less Than sign and
      the > stands for the Greater Than sign. Changing font size With HTML,
      font size is based on increments of a normal or default size and NOT
      point size like most word processors. Therefore, you cannot change the
      font size in an HTML document like you normally can in a WordPerfect
      document. You have three options when adjusting font size: • Use a
      Heading style As previously explained, each Heading style is based on
      the browser you are using. Select the text you want to adjust and
      choose a Heading style. • Use WordPerfect’s font size codes (Fine,
      Small, Normal, Large, Very Large, Extra Large) Select the text you want
      to adjust in your document and choose your preferred size from the
      Character Format dialog (Command-H, or choose Other from the Styles
      menu). page 20 WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 • Enter actual HTML
      tags for font size You can increase or decrease the normal font size by
      using the tag <Font Size>. An example below shows the proper syntax:
      <Font size=+3>Place here the text you want affected</Font size> From
      this example you can see a starting point and ending point. This allows
      you to change the size of a single word or string of text. Use the plus
      “+” and minus “-” signs to increase or decrease the font size. The
      normal font size is 3 and valid values range from 1-7. Importing HTML
      You can also import HTML documents into WordPerfect 3.5! WordPerfect
      will convert all HTML tags into a normal WordPerfect format. What does
      that mean? A bold HTML tag will convert to bold text, an italic HTML
      tag will convert to italic text, etc. If you hold down the Option key
      when opening a file, it will open as HTML text, tags included.
      Unsupported tag attributes will be lost on import. Bookmarks and
      Hyperlinks All bookmark options convert to HTML. The most commonly used
      bookmark is an Internet Address. Type in the URL or path to create the
      link. Tables WordPerfect 3.5 supports HTML 3.0 tags, which means we
      support tables! Tables help organize data and can be used to provide
      white space. This alone will save you many hours over editing tables in
      a text HTML editor. page 21 WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 Graphics
      WordPerfect imports GIF and JPEG image formats via conversion filters
      by ImageStream™ (these filters are automatically installed as part of a
      complete or standard install). In the future, we hope to offer export
      abilities that will automatically convert PICT images to GIF format
      when saving as HTML. Your Turn! I believe the best way to learn these
      new features is to jump right in and start playing with them. Open an
      existing document, add some horizontal lines here and there, a few
      images, headings, styles and then click on the Preview button! That’s
      all there is to it. Then you can start to play with all the options and
      get more creative. As HTML continues to be improved, we can continue to
      provide support by simply posting a new HTML conversion filter
      supporting new features. The World Wide Web is a fast moving, exciting
      environment and you and/or your business can now reap from the benefits
      with the help of WordPerfect 3.5 for Macintosh. Netscape
      Communications, Netscape, Netscape Navigator and the Netscape
      Communications logo are trademarks of Netscape Communications
      Corporation. Happy Holidays from WordPerfect Macintosh Support page 22
      WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 I don’t have a Speech button on my
      Tool Bar in WordPerfect 3.5. WordPerfect 3.5 installs Apple’s Speech
      Manager software and 16 voices on computers using System 7.5. Speech
      Manager requires System 7.5. If you are not using System 7.5 you can
      install MacinTalk Pro software. MacinTalk Pro is available from Apple.
      Whenever I use the Make It Fit feature, I get the error, “Unable To
      Size Document”. A printer must be installed and selected for the Make
      It Fit feature to work. Select your printer in the Chooser and Make It
      Fit will size your document correctly. My Font menu displays each font
      in a generic typeface instead of in each individual graphic typeface.
      An Extension conflict causes the Font Menu to display in a generic
      typeface. By holding down the Shift key, you can restart the computer
      with Extensions off, and the Font Menu will display graphically. Make
      sure you locate which Extension is causing the conflict, and disable
      it. Common conflicts include Extensions that affect menus, such as: Now
      Menus, Adobe Type Reunion, and Menu Fonts. Sometimes I go to the Open
      Latest menu, and the whole thing is really long! What’s happening? You
      may have two documents with the same name in different locations. The
      Open Latest menu is showing you the different paths to the two
      documents. page 23 WordPerfect Mac News December 1995 We welcome your
      comments, suggestions, letters, etc. • What did you like about the
      WordPerfect Mac News? • How was the layout? (Easy to find things, not
      too cluttered, graphics helpful?) • What would you change about the
      WordPerfect Mac News? • What features would you like to see highlighted
      in a future issue? • Which do you use? o Mac o DOS o Windows o UNIX o
      Other • Do you read this magazine on the screen, or do you print it? o
      Read on screen o Print it out • Where did you find the WordPerfect Mac
      News? • On the Macintosh, would you describe yourself as… o A
      beginner o A fairly proficient user o A power user • On WordPerfect,
      would you describe yourself as… o A beginner o A fairly proficient
      user o A power user You can reach us by e-mail at macmail @
      wordperfect.com , by fax at (801) 222-6980, or “snail mail” to WP Mac
      News, MS ORM G1512, WordPerfect/Novell Applications Group, 1555 N.
      Technology Way, Orem UT 84057-2399. Send your letters, requests, ideas
      for features, and tips & tricks to us! We reserve the right to edit any
      material received for content, clarity, and length. By submitting
      material to the WordPerfect Mac News, you agree to assign any and all
      rights, title, and interest which you may have to your submission
      material and any work Novell Inc. derives from such submission material
      to Novell Inc., unless otherwise specified. The WordPerfect Mac News
      was created using WordPerfect 3.1 for Macintosh. The headings and the
      link buttons were created using ColorIt!™ 2.3 by MicroFrontier, Inc.
      Then the whole thing was printed to WordPerfect Envoy. WordPerfect 3.1,
      Document Experts, and WordPerfect Envoy are trademarks of Novell, Inc.
      ColorIt!™ is a trademark of MicroFrontier Inc. Apple and Macintosh are
      registered trademarks of Apple Computers Inc. NOTICE PLEASE READ: You
      accept this information with the understanding that Novell, Inc. makes
      no representations or warranties as to the suitability of this
      information for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use
      or implement this information in your own setting, you do so at your
      own risk. In no event will Novell, Inc. be liable for any damages,
      whether consequential, incidental, or special, arising out of the use
      of or inability to use the information provided herewith. Copyright
      Novell Incorporated © , 1995. All rights reserved. If you do print out
      the WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle it. page 24