WP Mac News 96/03

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      Click on one. e are official members of the Corel team! Changes are
      happening rapidly and we want to keep you updated! Check out our Corel
      Info section for the latest statements about WordPerfect for the Mac.
      Any new and exciting information we can give you each month will be
      located here. This month we have a statement from Corel and our own
      Development Manager. The future of WordPerfect for Macintosh is an
      exciting one! Anyone calling Customer Support from now on will notice
      that our phone number has changed. Contact us at 801-765-4020. We now
      offer free support for the lifetime of the current product! Enjoy our
      March issue. Lisa Credits Editor Lisa Foster Web Weaver Ken Freeman
      Linkage and Layout Lisa Foster Error Examination Lisa Foster Moral
      Support Hans Rasmussen, Don Fowles, Tyler Thompson, Brian Rasmussen,
      David Sessions, Bryan Whittaker, Lamar Kirby The WordPerfect Mac News
      is published monthly. Find us at: • ftp.wordperfect.com • BBS (801)
      225-4414 • CompuServe: Go wordperfect and check the Mac Software
      Library. • AOL: Keyword wordperfect in the Help and Info Files section
      of the Software Library. • WWW :
      http://netwire.novell.com/home/mac/macnews/inde x.htm page 1
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH 1996 A Message About WordPerfect/Corel
      Macintosh Development here has been some recent speculation about the
      direction of development for WordPerfect on the Macintosh platform.
      Corel's acquisition of the WordPerfect family of software may have some
      of you wondering what our plans are concerning WordPerfect for
      Macintosh, and for Mac development in general. WordPerfect 3.5 for
      Macintosh has received several major best-of-breed awards and continues
      to garner industry honors. WordPerfect 3.5 for Mac has become an
      extremely popular package, gaining great user loyalty. This program did
      substantial business for Novell last year. Corel is keenly aware of the
      importance of Macintosh development and is in the process of ramping up
      its Mac program even further with this acquisition. As many of you may
      already know, we will be releasing CorelDraw for Macintosh in June.This
      version of our flagship product will have all the functionality of our
      latest Windows 95 version, but we will have the chance to incorporate
      some new features from our upcoming Draw 7 release. In addition, we're
      planning to bring our Print House graphics package to the Mac platform,
      and we're developing a Macintosh client for our new CorelVIDEO product.
      We have Mac versions of CD Creator and Corel Drivers for Enhanced CD. A
      number of Corel's CD Home multimedia titles are hybrid disks (Mac/PC),
      including Corel All-Movie Guide, Wild Cards, Wild Board Games, Bernard
      Of Hollywood's MARILYN, Nikolai's Trains, NN'n N Toymakers, Interactive
      Alphabet, Blue Tortoise, Green Bear, Red Rhino, Yellow Hippo, The
      Complete HERMAN Collection, and the Medical Series Epilepsy release.
      Corel is expanding its Mac development team, nearly quadrupling it. So,
      Corel's work on the Macintosh platform is off to a great start. We
      thought we'd let you know that we're committed to the Mac and that more
      good things are on the way. Corel Corporation Copyright © 1996, Corel
      Corporation. All rights reserved. CorelNET is a trademark of Corel
      Corporation. See the URL http://www.corelnet.com/corel/wpmac.htm page 2
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH 1996 We recently asked a few questions to
      Burton Perkins, WordPerfect for Macintosh Development Manager, about
      the future of WordPerfect for Macintosh under the Corel flag. Here is
      what he had to say! Corel has stated that the Macintosh development
      team could quadruple in size. How will that effect WordPerfect for
      Macintosh. Corel is very committed to the Macintosh platform. Under
      Corel’s new management, WordPerfect’s development team is currently
      adding additional staff to strengthen our efforts. Along with the other
      Macintosh efforts currently under way in Canada, Corel is making a
      significant investment in the Macintosh family of products. This
      investment will finally allow the WordPerfect team to make needed
      improvements to the WordPerfect product. WordPerfect for Macintosh has
      worked hard to keep up with new Apple technology (being the first word
      processor to implement things like QuickTime, QuickDraw GX, AppleGuide,
      AppleScript, WorldScript, Drag & Drop, Speech, etc.). Will this effort
      continue? One way WordPerfect has differentiated itself from much of
      its competition is by taking advantage of Apple’s latest technologies.
      Apple continues to introduce new technologies that benefit the
      platform. Those technologies that make sense for our product are the
      ones we are most anxious to embrace. However, what has truly
      differentiated the Macintosh from other platforms all these years has
      been Apple’s commitment to ease of use. If we forget those roots as a
      product, then we have failed our users. Therefore, we need to
      concentrate a great deal on enhancing our product to help people use
      our product as a tool to be more productive in their work. Frequently,
      the implementation of new technologies should be inconspicuous to
      users. Apple’s latest technologies such as OpenDoc, Copland, and
      others, though very beneficial, should be presented in the product as
      an extension of any other useful tool, unobtrusively augmenting a
      user’s already comfortable working environment. We want to implement
      and support new technologies that put the Macintosh platform on the
      leading edge of technology and usability by working with Apple and
      encouraging the development of the ideas that are the most useful to
      our users. Is the sale of WordPerfect for Mac to Corel a good thing?
      Many people here at WordPerfect share my enthusiasm for working page 3
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH 1996 under Corel’s new management. The sale
      of WordPerfect to Corel will be of great benefit to both parties. Corel
      is a growing company with an enthusiasm for the future that is exciting
      to be a part of. Corel’s style of management, I believe, will be more
      conducive to building the right kind of products. WordPerfect can bring
      a broader user base, development and marketing experience, and a great
      set of products that Corel could obtain no other way. For the
      Macintosh, Corel has a stronger commitment to the platform than Novell
      ever did. This commitment will foster better products, a better
      relationship with Apple, and a better relationship with our customers.
      You can reach us by e-mail at macmail@..., or by fax at (801)
      222-4365 . We welcome your comments, feedback, tips & tricks, and
      questions. Due to the sheer volume of mail we receive, you may not get
      a personal reply. If you need support for a WordPerfect product, use
      the support number in your User’s Guide. When I run Norton Utilities on
      my hard drive, it tells me I have a damaged resource fork in
      WordPerfect 3.5|Documentation|Installation Readme. Did I install the
      program incorrectly to cause this? No error on your part. We actually
      know about this minor problem and are currently working to fix it for
      the next version release. But no need to worry, this file will not
      damage anything else in WordPerfect or your System. You have already
      installed the program and obviously don’t need this Installation Readme
      anymore. Feel free to trash it. Just upgraded from WP 3.1 to 3.5. When
      I try to print an envelope, using TOOLS, the program says that it can't
      find ENVELOPE DATA? What's up? I can't find ENVELOPE DATA anywhere? No
      more macro, WordPerfect 3.5 now has a new envelope feature! Look under
      the File menu for Print Envelope. page 4 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH
      1996 Whenever I start typing a numbered list with tabs in between my
      numbers and text, WordPerfect is automatically changing my tabs to
      indents. How do I stop this? Auto Indent is a new QuickCorrect option
      in 3.5. With this feature on, every time you type a number, tab once,
      and then type more than one line of text, your tab automatically
      changes to an indent. If you don’t like this feature, turn it off.
      Tools|QuickCorrect|Options|uncheck Auto Indent. I have a database
      application where I have saved hundreds of names and addresses. How can
      I save these and use them as a merge data file in WordPerfect 3.1? Your
      database file needs to be saved as a tab delimited format. This tab
      delimited document can be read by WordPerfect 3.1 and 3.5 as a merge
      data file without making any changes to the document. You also have the
      option of running the macro, Database<–>Merge File on this tab
      delimited document. The macro will automatically insert the appropriate
      End of Field and End of Record codes. The macro is not essential, just
      an available option. Use newspaper columns when you want text to flow
      from the bottom of one column to the top of the next. Use extended
      columns to keep text divided between columns so that text will not wrap
      from one column to the next. The Set Language option under the Tools
      menu does not magically allow you to type in a new foreign language in
      your document. This option is provided to set a language code to allow
      for spell check and use of the thesaurus in that specified language if
      the appropriate WordPerfect language module is installed. If your GIF
      or JPEG graphics preview in your browser (I.E. Netscape) with a
      question mark in place of the graphic, try changing the Addressing
      option in the Image dialog box to Generate Relative. Another great tip
      from John Rethorst! A WordPerfect Mac email list has started up. Anyone
      can subscribe by sending a message with text "SUBSCRIBE WP-L" followed
      by their name to: majordomo@.... page 5 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS MARCH 1996 The following macro will place the name of your
      document at the bottom of each document page: Assign
      (Var01;DocumentName) Display (Off) Create Header/Footer (Footer A;All
      Pages) Type Var (Var01) Close Subdocument End Macro Make sure you run
      the macro while the document is open. Ever created a table at the top
      of your document and then found you couldn’t get your cursor before the
      table to type in a title or heading? Two easy solutions: 1) Press your
      Return key once or twice before creating the table to avoid getting
      stuck without any space at the top to type in the title. 2) Place your
      cursor in the top-left cell of the table. Turn on Show Codes (found
      under the Edit menu). Place one or two Hard Returns before the table
      code. This will give you that extra needed space at the top to type in
      your title. MASTERING MACROS BY JOHN RETHORST Fun with Files o far
      we’ve looked at all sorts of neat stuff: variables, repeat loops, cases
      and labels. We’ll do more of that, of course, but I want as well to
      start thinking in terms of conceptualizing in addition to coding: how
      ideas for macros get off the ground to start with, and how they take
      shape. For example, I was wandering around Usenet the other day, and
      someone on comp.sys.mac.apps asked whether there were any utilities to
      do a global find and replace on all files in a folder. Nice idea, I
      thought – how can I get WordPerfect to jump through that particular
      hoop? (The result is in this month’s Macros file accompanying the News,
      and you might want to print it out to help you follow this little
      adventure.) I remembered something I saw in the online macro help
      called Get File which puts the name of the first, second, third etc.
      file in page 6 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH 1996 a given folder into
      variables. I didn’t know if it would work, but I didn’t know that it
      wouldn’t. So I looked up the syntax for the Get File command, and
      found: Purpose Assigns the name and file type of the nth (1st, 12th,
      etc.) file in the current folder to specified read/write variables. Use
      Set Directory to change the current folder. Syntax Get File (File Name
      Variable;File Type Variable;File Number) Parameters File Name Variable
      (variable name) The name of any read/write variable. File Type Variable
      (variable name) The name of any read/write variable. File Number (
      numeric expression ) The number of the file (in alphabetical order).
      For Example Get File (Var07;Var12;18) so the example looks at the 18th
      file in a given folder, and assigns Var07 to the file name, and Var12
      to the file type. What’s a file type? The Mac Finder identifies every
      file (application, extension, document, prefs file etc.) by two means:
      the file’s creator (WordPerfect, Illustrator, Finale or any app that
      can create a file) and file type. Each program can create a file in its
      own proprietary type, and many programs can create files of different
      types. WP, for example, can create files in WordPerfect format and also
      in text format. Any document you create in WP has a creator of WPC2
      (just four identifying letters or numbers). If you save that document
      in WP format, it has the file type of WPD3. If you save it as plain
      text, it has the type TEXT. If you save a WP graphic by itself, it will
      have type PICT. What these identifiers do is tell the Finder which
      application to use to open the document you double-clicked on, and tell
      applications whether they can read it. The drawing program Canvas, for
      example, knows it can read documents of type PICT, no matter who the
      creator, since that’s a standard graphics format. Canvas can’t read
      documents of type WPD3, though, so it won’t show you WP documents in
      its Open dialog box. You can check the file creator and type of any
      file by going to WP’s open dialog and, from the File menu in the dialog
      box, choosing File and then the command Info. Putting the file type
      into a variable with the Get File command would be useful if, for
      example, you wanted to do something with all the TEXT files in a
      folder, but not the WPD3 files. For my Global Find/Change idea, though,
      I wanted to work with every file. So I knew I would be putting a
      variable in the Get File command line to pick up the file type, but I
      could just ignore it in the rest of the macro. page 7 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS MARCH 1996 Back to business. Note that the online help says to use
      the Set Directory command to change the current folder (a directory is
      a folder). I thought it would be best to designate one folder in which
      to perform a global replace, for safety’s sake as well as
      convenience’s. But you can’t write a macro for everyone’s machine that
      sets a directory, as the online help describes: For Example Set
      Directory ("Hard Disk:Docs:Work Docs") unless everyone’s disk had the
      same name! But there’s a way around this. WP macros have two read-only
      variables, BootDir and WPDir, that contain the name of and path to the
      System Folder (BootDir), and the folder you designated in the program
      preferences as the WordPerfect folder (WPDir). So I knew I could put a
      folder called, say, “Global Find/Change” in the WordPerfect folder,
      write a line like: Set Directory (WPDir$"Global Find/Change") and have
      a folder in which to put all the files I wanted to work with. I could
      then have a line like: Get File (Var01;Var49;1) which would put the
      name of the first file in the folder into Var01, and the type into
      Var49. I used the last available variable, Var49, for the file type as
      a reminder to myself that this didn't contain information I wanted to
      use. So far so good. Now the macro can open the file named in Var01,
      and we can work with it. That code is, simply: Open Document (Var01)
      Home () and we have the file open, ready to find and change. I added
      the command to go Home in case the version 3.5 user has set the
      preference to remember cursor location, and the cursor is in the middle
      of the document. We'll want to find and change from the top, just to
      have a place to start. Now things are going to get a little tricky. I
      knew I could post a Get Text dialog and ask the user for text to find
      and to change to, but I wanted to use the standard Find/Change dialog
      if possible. Not only would people be more used to it, but there are
      all sorts of options – attributes, case and some codes – that would be
      more work to duplicate in a custom dialog. But we don't have macro
      variables that contain the contents of Find/Change. Is this going to
      work? I started off with this code: Set Directory (WPDir$"Global
      Find/Change") page 8 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH 1996 Find/Change
      Dialogand found that wouldn't do at all. I ran the macro, and nothing
      happened. Why? Well, back to the program to find out. I had no
      documents open at that point so, when I tried to open the Find/Change
      dialog, I found the program command (on the Edit menu) grayed out. Aha.
      So I thought I'd open a dummy new document first, with: Set Directory
      (WPDir$"Global Find/Change") New Document Find/Change Dialog and at
      that point could open the first file in the folder and change all
      instances of the userspecified text, repeating this for the other files
      in the folder. This would go: Open Document (Var01) Home () Change All
      Save Close which might work. The script calls the Find/Change dialog,
      and opening any dialog pauses a macro until the dialog closes. If I
      typed find and change text in the dialog, then closed the dialog, would
      the macro then open the first document and Change All according to what
      I had put in the dialog? I couldn't stand the suspense. Alas. I set up
      a folder with a test file, ran the script, entered find and change
      text, clicked the close box to exit the dialog, and – nothing happened.
      I wondered how I could get the dialog box to work. Going back to the
      program to test, I found that if I entered find and change text, tried
      to find something, and then closed the dialog, that same text "stuck"
      in the box when I opened it again, as long as no text in the document
      was selected when I opened the dialog again. If, however, I entered
      text in the dialog but then clicked in the close box without clicking
      Find, that text didn't stick. Aha. What if I ran the macro, entered
      find and change text, and clicked Find (or Change All, the other active
      button when nothing has been found), and then clicked in the close box,
      dismissing the dialog and allowing the macro to continue? It opened the
      first file and found and changed as I had hoped. Eureka! I've recounted
      this for you so that you won't think that people write macros in steps
      such as: 1) "Ahem. I think I'll write a macro.” 2) Sterling code is
      entered into the macro editor, with Vivaldi in the background. 3)
      Everything works. page 9 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH 1996 Would it were
      so, but the actual process is more a flailing about, trying this and
      that, wondering what will work. Sometime you find the solution quickly;
      sometimes you don't; sometimes you conclude that it can't be done. Of
      the last alternative, sometimes you're right, and sometimes you've
      missed a strategy that will occur to you a week or a month from now.
      Once a workable strategy is implemented, however, the rest is cleanup.
      I wanted to make this command work on as many files as possible. How
      many is that? Well, there are 50 local variables, and I was using one
      (Var49) as the throwaway variable for file type. That left 49. I knew
      that I'd have to include the Set Directory command as many times as I
      had files. Whatever for? Once you set a directory it's set until you
      change it, right? Almost, but I had to account for aliases. If the user
      put an alias to a file in the Global Find/Change folder, the Mac would
      go to wherever that file was actually located, changing the current
      directory in the process. So I could set the macro up like: Set
      Directory (WPDir$"Global Find/Change") New Document Find/Change Dialog
      ; Get File (Var01;Var49;1) Get File (Var02;Var49;2);Var49 is throwaway
      so we can keep using it ;==============================================
      ;and so on ;============================================== Set
      Directory (WPDir$"Global Find/Change") Open Document (Var01) Home ()
      Change All Save Close Set Directory (WPDir$"Global Find/Change") Open
      Document (Var02) Home () Change All Save Close
      ;============================================== ;and so forth
      ;============================================== and we have a macro. I
      was worried about 40-odd repetitions of the Set Directory command,
      though: what if I wanted to change the folder later (even though it's
      easy to make an alias of a folder, and name it anything and locate it
      anywhere). So I started the script with: Assign (Var00;WPDir$"Global
      Find/Change") Set Directory (Var00) so that I could use Var00
      throughout the long script, and make one page 10 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS MARCH 1996 change at the top if a later redesign was indicated.
      Maybe it won't be, but the 48 variables we're left with should be
      plenty for most users. We could appropriate global variables for some
      more file names, but it's wiser not to: the user might have information
      in globals that he or she wants to keep, my Glossary or Character
      Styles for example. The rest of the code for this macro is error
      checking, and we can judge what we'll need there by testing the script.
      I found that it doesn't matter how many files there are in the folder;
      the Get File commands for nonexistent files don't return an error. But,
      if we have a line for, say, Open Document (Var35) when there are only
      30 files in the folder, the macro chokes. Hmm. Let's get around that
      with: Set Directory (Var00) If (Var35!="") Open Document (Var35) Home
      () Change All Save Close End If so if Var35 isn't empty, the macro
      opens a document with that name. Otherwise, nothing. And that about
      does it. “About” since, remember, we opened a new document to allow
      access to the Find/Change dialog in the first place. So, after all the
      files in the folder have been processed, we still have that empty
      window. Let’s take care of that with: Select Window ("untitled*") If
      (!DocumentModifyFlag) Close End If so that if, somehow, the user has
      put something in that window, the macro won’t just throw it away. The
      asterisk after “untitled” is a wildcard so, if the user has opened
      three new documents previously in the work session, and the doc the
      macro opens is thus “untitled 4,” this takes care of it. That’s most of
      the script. Take a look at the whole thing in this month’s distribution
      file, and you’ll see why I put in the two “On Error” lines and the
      labels they refer to – just some more error handling, so users won’t
      get messages they don’t understand, and blame us for it. It would be
      nice to hear your comments and suggestions about this column. You can
      reach me at jcr2@.... Contents Copyright © 1995, 1996 by John
      Rethorst. Used by permission. * * * John Rethorst, author of Teach
      Yourself WordPerfect, thinks that macros are so elegant, they should be
      written in French. page 11 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH 1996 New Line by
      John Rethorst eople occasionally ask whether WP has a New Line (in the
      same paragraph) command, as does (cough) Word. This macro does it by
      adding spaces to the current line. Display (Off) Repeat Type ( ) Until
      (LineCharacterCount=0) Display (On) I know that the Display (On)
      command shouldn't be needed, but it sometimes helps with screen
      refresh. Transpose by Daniel Midgley You’re typing away, and without
      even thinking, you know you’ve typed two keys in the wrong order.
      Rather than delete them and type them over again, just run this macro.
      (Assign it to a keystroke that you can get at it quickly, like
      “Control-Tab.”) The macro will switch the two characters, turning (for
      example) quickyl into quickly with very little effort. This may not
      seem like much of a time-saver, but you may end up using it more than
      you thought you would. page 12 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH 1996
      Preferences by Lisa Foster ired of always turning on Num Lock every
      time you launch WordPerfect? Frustrated by having to click on the same
      Tool bars in every document? Ever wondered how to delete a macro? Well,
      this feature highlight is for you. It’s a general overview of the
      WordPerfect Preferences and some great tips to help your daily work
      flow. Go to the Edit menu, then select Preferences. You will get the
      dialog box below. 13PAGE WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH 1996 ENVIRONMENT
      Set your timed backup. The default set by WordPerfect is every 15
      minutes. Always remember that timed backup does NOT save your
      documents!!! It only creates a temporary file, which as the name
      states, is only temporary. It’s deleted after you Quit WordPerfect.
      Original File Backup, if checked, will save a second copy of every
      document you Save. This backup file is stored in the same location as
      the original with the word “Backup” added to its name. Choose new
      screen colors. Foreground selects the color of your text on screen,
      Background selects the background screen color, and Highlight is an
      obvious choice. If you change your background color and discover that
      you can’t find your cursor, try changing your background until your
      cursor is visible again. The following is a list of the most commonly
      used and asked about Environment Preferences. Format menu: Paragraph or
      Single Paragraph formatting. The Paragraph option will set any
      formatting changes in your document from the position of your cursor
      through all subsequent text. This option is on by default. If you
      choose Single Paragraph, any formatting changes made will affect only
      the paragraph where the cursor is located. Dormant Return. Whenever a
      Hard Return appears alone at the top of a page that begins with a soft
      page break, it will automatically change to a dormant return so that a
      blank line is not left at the top of the page. Asian Wrap, Hanging, and
      Condensed set the Japanese hyphenation. Asian Wrap is the default.
      Options menu: Graphic Font Menu displays each font name in the
      appropriate font. This option is on by default. If your fonts don’t
      display correctly, you have an extension conflict. Extra Menu Keys
      displays the key commands on each menu. Wrap Around Search changes the
      default search pattern for Find/Change. Num Lock. Can default to be on
      or off. This option is only available in 3.1 and 3.5 Windows menu: Show
      ¶ will display the marks for paragraph, tabs, and spaces in every
      document. Off by default. Show Codes will turn on your formatting codes
      for every document. Off by default. page 14 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH
      1996 Graphics menu: Character, Anchor to Page, Anchor to Paragraph.
      These options will treat your graphics as characters, anchor them to a
      page, or to a paragraph. Character is on by default. Units menu:
      Inches. On by default. You can choose the default unit of measurement.
      Language menu: Show Unknown Alphabets will display any unknown
      character symbols WordPerfect finds when opening a document. DATE/TIME
      Select your preferred style for the date and time from the Formats menu
      or customize your own style from the Date and Time menus. FOLDERS Use
      this Default Folders list to define where you want WordPerfect to save
      your documents and where to look for your Library, Common Library,
      Language Tools (Dictionary and Thesaurus), User Dictionary, Help, and
      the WordPerfect application. This month’s FAQ section (the last
      question) will give you a helpful listing of each of these folders and
      their correct default locations. KEYBOARD Assign keystrokes to any
      Command, Macro, Styles, Characters, etc. This listing is extremely
      helpful for locating any pre-assigned Command keystrokes. Choose from
      the Standard (WPMac), WP 5.x, or WP 6.x Keyboards. Click on the Create
      Listing button to save a document that contains a list of all Commands,
      Macros, etc. and their assigned keystrokes. Print it for a handy future
      reference. WORD SERVICES Add certain types of third-party applications,
      such as spellers or grammar applications, to the Tools menu. This
      feature is only available if you are using System 7.0 or later.
      LIBRARIAN This is the container for all of your styles, macros, button
      bars, keyboards, and character maps. This dialog box lets you remove,
      rename, or copy any of these items. page 15 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH
      1996 The Librarian will list its contents on the left-hand side, and
      the contents of the document you are currently working in on the
      right-hand side. Question: How do I delete a style or macro?
      Answer: Through the Librarian. Change your Resource menu to either
      styles or macros. Select the unwanted item and press the Remove button.
      Question: How do I copy all of the macros on one machine over to
      another machine? Answer: Through the Librarian. Select All macros
      listed under Library USA and copy them to the document listed on the
      right-hand side of the dialog box. You can then save that document and
      open it on your second computer and copy the macros through the
      Librarian from the document back into Library USA. SHOW BARS This is a
      very handy Preference! Click on all Tool bars you use the most, Font is
      my most favorite. Now you won’t be turning each Tool bar on for every
      document. Ruler, Layout, Button Bar, and Status Bar are already on by
      default. FONT Set your preferred default font and size. Geneva 12 pt.
      is the standard default. (Also note that you can set any document
      defaults, including the font and size, in the Document style.) FILES
      Control the number of documents listed in the Open Latest menu right
      here. The default is set to display the last 10 documents opened. There
      is no limit to the number of documents you can list, but be sure to set
      a reasonable amount. Question: All of my documents are opening as
      “Untitled” and I always have to resave them with the same name they had
      before. How do I fix this? Answer: Through the Files Preferences.
      Change the Save As File Dialog Format from WordPerfect 3 Template (or
      Stationery) to WordPerfect 3. QUICKCORRECT Set your preferred defaults
      for QuickCorrect here. If you have ever typed a company name that
      included “Inc.” and then found the first letter capitalized after the
      period, simply turn off Capitalize First Letter and you won’t run into
      this problem. If you want each sentence separated by only one space
      instead of two, click on Two Spaces to Single Space. MAILER This option
      is new for 3.1 and 3.5. Powertalk must be active for you to see the
      Mailer button on the Control bar. When clicked on, the page 16
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH 1996 default is set to expand the Mailer
      when creating a document. Expanding when opening or replying to a
      letter are also available options. HTML This Preference is only
      available in 3.5. These settings control all of the Heading and Style
      options available on your HTML Tool bar. Customize these settings to
      your needs, especially if you want to change the fonts and sizes used
      by the Heading menu. I hope this summary helps clear up any Preferences
      doubts. Now that you have a better picture of what Preferences can do
      for you, take a look at your default settings and start to personalize
      your WordPerfect for efficiency and easy use. When I type in
      WordPerfect, my cursor seems to lag a couple of spaces behind my text.
      What’s wrong? You have an extension conflict. You can test an extension
      conflict by turning off all extensions (restarting the computer with
      the Shift key held down) and then typing in WordPerfect to see if your
      cursor stills lags behind your text. If everything looks normal, you
      can bet you have an extension that’s causing your cursor problems. Find
      it and disable it. I know WordPerfect has a WriteNow Import conversion
      filter. So, why don’t my WriteNow 4.0 files open in WordPerfect? The
      WriteNow Import conversion filter found in the WordPerfect Conversions
      folder is for WriteNow 2.x. Save your 4.0 files to a 2.x format and
      they will open up just fine. How can I make backup diskettes of my
      WordPerfect 3.5 CD? Simple answer, you can’t. Diskcopy can be used to
      make backup diskettes of the install DISKS only. page 17 WORDPERFECT
      MAC NEWS MARCH 1996 I turned on the option for Print Backwards because
      I want my graphic image to print inverted. No change in my graphic,
      why? The Print Backwards option in the Print Dialog box is only used
      for printing your document in backwards sequence, which means the last
      page will come out of the printer first and the first page last.
      Whenever I start up WordPerfect, I get a “Set Path” message. How can I
      get rid of it? You need to check the destination of your Folder
      Preferences. Click on Edit|Preferences|Folders The following is a list
      of each Preference Folder and its appropriate destination. Paths will
      vary for each person depending upon the location of the WordPerfect 3.x
      folder on their hard drive. (WordPerfect 3.x will actually be listed as
      the version of WordPerfect installed on your computer: 3.0, 3.1, 3.5).
      Documents—Path is Undefined or a folder you have specified for your
      documents Library—Hard Drive:System Folder:Preferences:WordPerfect
      Common Library—Undefined Language Tools—Make sure the end of the path
      reads WordPerfect 3.x:Language User Dictionary—Make sure the end of the
      path reads WordPerfect 3.x:Language Help—Make sure the end of the path
      reads WordPerfect 3.x:Help WordPerfect Folder—Make sure the end of the
      path reads WordPerfect 3.x If any of the above folders have the wrong
      path listed, click on the Set Path button. Click on Set after
      navigating to the correct folder. page 18 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS MARCH
      1996 We welcome your comments, suggestions, letters, etc. • What did
      you like about the WordPerfect Mac News? • How was the layout? (Easy to
      find things, not too cluttered, graphics helpful?) • What would you
      change about the WordPerfect Mac News? • What features would you like
      to see highlighted in a future issue? • Which do you use? o Mac o DOS o
      Windows o UNIX o Other• Do you read this magazine on the screen, or do
      you print it? o Read on screen o Print it out • Where did you find the
      WordPerfect Mac News? • On the Macintosh, would you describe yourself
      as… o A beginner o A fairly proficient user o A power user • On
      WordPerfect, would you describe yourself as… o A beginner o A fairly
      proficient user o A power user You can reach us by e-mail at macmail @
      wordperfect.com , by fax at (801) 222-6980, or “snail mail” to WP Mac
      News, MS ORM G1512, WordPerfect/Novell Applications Group, 1555 N.
      Technology Way, Orem UT 84057-2399. Send your letters, requests, ideas
      for features, and tips & tricks to us! We reserve the right to edit any
      material received for content, clarity, and length. By submitting
      material to the WordPerfect Mac News, you agree to assign any and all
      rights, title, and interest which you may have to your submission
      material and any work Novell Inc. derives from such submission material
      to Novell Inc., unless otherwise specified. The WordPerfect Mac News
      was created using WordPerfect 3.1 for Macintosh. The headings and the
      link buttons were created using ColorIt!™ 2.3 by MicroFrontier, Inc.
      Then the whole thing was printed to WordPerfect Envoy. WordPerfect 3.1,
      Document Experts, and WordPerfect Envoy are trademarks of Novell, Inc.
      ColorIt!™ is a trademark of MicroFrontier Inc. Apple and Macintosh are
      registered trademarks of Apple Computers Inc. NOTICE PLEASE READ: You
      accept this information with the understanding that Novell, Inc. makes
      no representations or warranties as to the suitability of this
      information for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use
      or implement this information in your own setting, you do so at your
      own risk. In no event will Novell, Inc. be liable for any damages,
      whether consequential, incidental, or special, arising out of the use
      of or inability to use the information provided herewith. Copyright
      Novell Incorporated © , 1995. All rights reserved. If you do print out
      the WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle it. page 19