WP Mac News 96/02

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      Click on one. Great issue this month! Anyone experiencing Type 11
      Errors can jump to our FAQs. For those of you who have called customer
      support asking how to place a graphic in a document, this month’s
      Feature Article is for you. And for the first time, we have included a
      listing of our book recommendations in Macmail. There are only two, but
      they meet high qualifications and are stuffed full of great guides to
      learning WordPerfect! The most exciting news for this newsletter
      issue...drumroll please...we have been sold! Corel, a Toronto-based
      company, is our lucky owner. We want you to know how excited we are for
      this upcoming venture. WordPerfect for the Mac will continue its
      development, support, and great succes with The WordPerfect Mac News is
      published monthly. Find us at: • ftp.wordperfect.com • BBS (801)
      225-4414 • CompuServe: Go wordperfect and check the Mac Software
      Library. • AOL: Keyword wordperfect in the Help and Info Files section
      of the Software Library. • WWW :
      http://www.novell.com:80/ServSupp/mac/macnews/i ndex.htm this new
      company. Happy Valentines from WPMac News. I hope Cupid brings you lots
      of chocolate. Lisa Credits Editor Lisa Foster Web Weaver and Layout Ken
      Freeman Lamar Kirby Linkage Ken Freeman Error Examination Lisa Foster
      Moral Support Hans Rasmussen, Don Fowles, Tyler Thompson, Brian
      Rasmussen, David Sessions, Bryan Whittaker, Gene Hamilton page 1
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 You can reach us by e-mail at
      macmail@..., or by fax at (801) 222-6980 . We welcome your
      comments, feedback, tips & tricks, and questions. Due to the sheer
      volume of mail we receive, you may not get a personal reply. If you
      need support for a WordPerfect product, use the support number in your
      User’s Guide. Is there an easy way (other than cut & paste) to change
      footnotes to endnotes? I have close to 300 footnotes and cut and paste
      would be a real pain! WordPerfect for Mac 3.x versions have a macro
      called Footnotes <-> Endnotes that will do all the work for you! Click
      on Tools|Macro|Footnotes <-> Endnotes. If this macro is not available,
      copy it into your Library from the Sample Macros Readme file. The
      following is a list of the 3.x versions and the location of the Sample
      Macros Readme file: • 3.0, WPExtras folder • 3.1, Document Experts
      folder • 3.5, Documentation folder How do I disable the feature that
      corrects i.e. to I.e. and (c) into the copyright symbol? These two
      items are a part of the QuickCorrect feature in the Tools menu. Notice
      that (c) is the first item in the QuickCorrect list. Remove it. Click
      on the Options button. You can disable QuickCorrect entirely, or any of
      the listed options. page 2 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 Just
      bought WP 3.5 having finally lost patience with MS Word. I am currently
      plodding through the manual but would appreciate some book
      recommendations. Here are our high recommendations: Teach Yourself
      WordPerfect, by John Rethorst ISBN # 1-55828-307-2 Most bookstores with
      much of a computer section carry it. Barnes & Noble and Borders are
      good bets, although any store can order it. John is a long time friend
      of WordPerfect and contributor to WP Mac News! He also posts quite a
      few creative and useful macros on America Online and our ftp site.
      WordPerfect 3.5 For Macs For Dummies, by Mark Kellner IDG Books
      Worldwide The new and easy to read book is available in bookstores
      everywhere, by phone from IDG Books (1-800-762-2974) and Mark will also
      accept orders; readers may e-mail him (using, please, MarkKel@...).
      “This is the ONLY one to offer FULL details on using mail merge in
      3.5!” More info. about the book see:
      http://www.powercc.com/News/95.12.28.html When working in columns, use
      Column Break (Command-Shift-Return) to move from one column to another.
      Those of you who are using versions 3.0 and 3.1 will notice that each
      month in the Calendar stationery for 1996 is off by one day. Upgrade to
      version 3.5 and the new Calendar template is fixed! Choose the
      right-edge printer feed option (the top right arrow box) with an HP
      Laserjet printer when using the Print Envelope feature in 3.5. Manually
      adjust your mailing and return addresses to print at your desired
      location on the envelope. Use Find Code (found under the Edit menu) to
      locate or remove codes from your document. This feature is handy for
      deleting all page numbering, headers, etc. page 3 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 Screen display irritations: letters type ontop of
      one another, text disappears randomly from the screen, sections of
      table borders do not show. Use the zoom box (located at the upper right
      corner of the document screen) to force a screen redraw and bring the
      display back to normal. Ever tried to use Table to Text and it’s grayed
      out? Assign a helpful keystroke to select your table.
      Edit|Preferences|Keyboard. Specify a keystroke for the Select Table
      command, I chose Option-T. Place your cursor within a table and your
      new keystroke will select only the table and its contents. Table to
      Text will now be available under the Table menu. Use either the graphic
      button or Tools|Graphic|New to insert graphics. Many graphics that
      are inserted or opened at the normal document screen may have
      difficulty printing correctly. MASTERING MACROS BY JOHN RETHORST
      Elementary Magic In December we looked at three macros that make window
      management easier. The one we’ll look at this month completes my
      “John’s Window Manager” set, available on the Sumex Info-Mac archives
      (http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive.html) in the WordPerfect
      folder in the text processing folder. I’ve saved the last macro for
      this month because it’s quite a bit more complex than the others, and
      uses the substring commands we learned in January. It also demonstrates
      a more sophisticated use of variables and a more intricate flow
      structure than we’ve seen before. There are even a couple of neat
      tricks. What this macro does is help the user manage the number of
      windows he or she has open. Cycling through all open windows, it asks
      the user whether or not to save and close each window, close without
      saving, page 4 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 leave open, or close
      all windows (asking to save changes in each one). When all windows have
      been considered, the macro ends. Let’s look at the macro’s menus and
      dialog boxes. The main menu, in figure 1, is the first the user sees if
      the active document has been modified since being saved: Figure 1 The
      macro’s main menuwhile if the front window has not been modified, the
      user sees figure 2: Figure 2 Alternate main menu If the user closes the
      window, saving if appropriate, or leaves it open, the macro goes to the
      next open window and repeats. If the user opts to close all windows,
      the macro goes through each window, posting figure 3 if the document
      has been modified.: Figure 3 On the way to closing all windows By the
      way, you see underlined letters in buttons in my screen shots of dialog
      boxes because I use a free control panel called “Keys!” which you can
      download from Info-Mac. Type the underlined letter to press the button,
      without using the Command key. Try it – it’s slick. While you’re there,
      check out my other macro sets as well as the terrific macros by George
      Maschke and Will Porter. I’ll look forward to seeing your ideas there
      before too long. Back to the topic: here’s an overview, in the form of
      a flowchart, of the macro: page 5 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996
      Simplified flowchart of the thing Figure 4 The macro’s organization
      This is a fairly complex structure, necessary to give the user this
      many choices. This flowchart leaves out the Close All option, which
      just repeats the Save and Close/Close without Saving choice for each
      remaining window. As you’ll see, writing very complex scripts becomes
      easier if you flowchart what you want to do, then write small pieces,
      and then put them together. Get your Rabbit and Hat Much of the code is
      straightforward enough; the tricks come in where we need to tell, as
      we’re cycling through windows, if we’ve seen a window before. Also,
      we’ll use some sleight-of-hand to tell what the user does in a dialog
      box. This will be a good introduction to the strategy of writing more
      powerful macros. It’s also a bunch of fun. The only new variables we’ll
      use are NewDocumentFlag, which has a value of 1 if the active document
      has never been saved, and DocumentModifyFlag, which has a value of 1 if
      the active document has been changed since the last time it was saved.
      Of course, each flag has a value of zero otherwise. The critical
      variable, though, is a local variable – I’ll use Var00 – that is going
      to keep track of whether the next window to come along is new to the
      macro, or whether it’s already been through the cycle, with the user
      opting to leave it open. If it’s the latter, this is where we want the
      macro to stop. We can’t keep track of the windows just by counting
      them, as we did with Tile Windows. In that macro, there was a constant
      number of windows. Here, the user may be closing some page 6
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 windows and cycling others. We need
      to find a way to recognize a window by name. So, this line of code:
      Assign (Var00;Var00$FrontWindow) adds to Var00 the name of each open
      window the macro encounters. Say you have three windows open, called
      “FirstDoc,” “SecondDoc” and “ThirdDoc,” and you opt to leave the first
      one open, closing the other two. When the macro gets back around to
      FirstDoc and reads its name from the FrontWindow variable, Var00 will
      then contain “FirstDocSecondDocThirdDoc.” The Substring Position
      command, which we learned in January, checks to see whether
      FrontWindow, now containing “FirstDoc,” is a substring of Var00. Since
      it is, the macro has seen all windows and it’s time for it to end.
      Simple, no? So let’s start with a label called “top” since, with a
      macro that cycles a lot, it needs a place to start over for each
      window. We can then check to see if any windows are still open, going
      to the end of the macro otherwise. We’ll then check whether we’ve seen
      the current window before. If not, we’ll add the name of the current
      window to Var00, and the first lines of code will look like: Label
      (top) If (NumberOfWindows=0);no more windows to consider Go (end) Else
      ;=========================================================== ;Have we
      seen this window before? SubString Position (Var01;FrontWindow;Var00)
      ;=========================================================== ;If we
      find FrontWindow in the compilation of all windows If (!Var01=0);
      ;=========================================================== Go (end)
      End If End If
      ;=========================================================== ;If we get
      this far, add this window’s name to the compilation Assign
      (Var00;Var00$FrontWindow) and we’ve done the largest part of the
      thinking. Tons o’ Labels At this point, the macro is looking at a
      window it hasn’t seen before, and we want to have the script flow to
      one of various labels depending on whether the doc is new, whether it’s
      been changed, and so on. The code for that is: If
      (DocumentModifyFlag=1); doc has unsaved changes Menu (Var01;"You made
      changes in this one:"; page 7 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 {"Save
      and close";"Leave open";"Close without saving";"Close all"}) Case
      (Var01;{1;Save and close;2;Leave open;3;Close without saving;4;Close
      All};cancel) Else; doc has no unsaved changes Menu (Var01;"No changes
      here:";{"Close";"Leave open";"Close All"}) Case (Var01;{1;Close without
      saving;2;Leave open;3;Close all};cancel) End If Label (cancel);user
      clicks in menu’s close box Go (end) Notice that I used Var01 both for
      the substring position of FrontWindow in Var00, and, later in the code,
      for the menu/case value. Why not? With local variables, you can use
      them for one thing, then for another. Since there are 50 of them, I
      could as easily have used another one, but wanted to demonstrate this
      way that once the value of a variable isn’t useful any more, there’s no
      problem with using that variable for another value. The macro runs just
      as fast too, since assigning a value to a variable isn’t a slower
      operation if the variable already has another value. Just make sure
      you’re not replacing a value you’ll need later on. That’s why we don’t
      want to touch Var00: its value is a reference we’ll need as long as the
      macro runs. If the user chooses “Save and close” from the menu, the
      macro will branch to these lines: Label (Save and close) If
      (NewDocumentFlag=0);doc already exists on disk Save Close Else Call
      (NewDoc);go to label for docs not existing on disk End If Go
      (top);finished with this window, ready for the next one If the user
      chooses the second menu option, “Leave open,” the case command will
      branch to this label: Label (Leave open) If (NumberOfWindows=1) Go
      (end) End If Assign (Var02;NumberOfWindows) Repeat Assign
      (Var02;Var02-1) Cycle Windows Until (Var02=1) Go (top) which first
      checks to see whether only one window is open. If so, the macro has
      done its job, and execution goes to the end. Otherwise, it goes to the
      next window and sees what the user wants to do with that one. But we
      can’t use the Cycle Windows command as is, because it cycles by
      bringing the back window to the front, moving all other windows back a
      layer. Say we have FirstDoc, SecondDoc and ThirdDoc open. We choose to
      leave page 8 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 FirstDoc open, so the
      macro cycles windows and puts ThirdDoc in front. If we close ThirdDoc,
      we’re then looking at FirstDoc again, and have to once more tell the
      macro to leave it open before we ever get to SecondDoc. To circumvent
      such an annoyance, I added code to assign the number of open windows to
      Var02, and then repeat the Cycle Windows command and decrement Var02
      each time, until Var02 equals 1, which has the effect of taking the
      front window and moving it to the back. Shuffling the windows that way
      means that when we reach a window we’ve seen before (and so is
      contained in Var00), the macro is done. If the user chooses to close
      the current window without saving, the label runs: Label (Close without
      saving) Close Go (top) since the macro command closes a window without
      saving. Thus, the earlier label to Save and Close has the Save command
      before Close. If the user wants to close all windows, the macro
      branches to: Label (Close all) If (NumberOfWindows=0) Go (end) End If
      If (DocumentModifyFlag=1) Confirm (Var03;Caution;YesNoCancel;"Save
      changes?") Case (Var03;{1;Yes;0;No}) which first checks to see if any
      windows are still open. We started the macro with that check, but
      you’ll see in a minute why we need to make it again here. If there is a
      window open, we need to know whether it has unsaved changes, so we look
      at DocumentModifyFlag. If it’s on, we use a command new to us, Confirm,
      which posts the dialog in figure 3. The first parameter is a variable
      for use in a case command. The second parameter designates the icon for
      the confirmation dialog. Here are the choices: Note Caution Stop or
      Generic, for no icon. If you use the Stop icon, the command beeps as
      well. The third parameter, “YesNoCancel” in this case, shows the
      buttons the dialog will have. The first button is the default, with the
      heavy border and which you can click by pressing Return. “OK” is the
      other possible button for this command, as in “OKCancel.” If you press
      Cancel, the macro ends or goes to a label specified in an On Cancel
      handler. OK or Yes will put a value of 1 in the first-parameter
      variable, and No gives it a value of 0. page 9 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 The following Case command sets up labels for Var03.
      If the user wants to save changes, the label is: Label (Yes) If
      (NewDocumentFlag=1);doc has never been saved Call (NewDoc) Go (Close
      All) Else Save Close Go (Close All) End If which checks NewDocumentFlag
      to see whether we need to use the Save As dialog. If so, it calls the
      NewDoc label, as does the Save and Close option much earlier in the
      script. Otherwise, the macro saves and closes the document and then
      goes back to Close All. That’s why I began Close All with a check for
      any open windows: once the user has decided to close all of them, the
      macro goes into a much smaller loop and bypasses the check at the top
      of the script. If the user doesn’t want to save changes in the current
      window and clicks No, the macro branches to this label: Label (No)
      Close Go (Close All) If the front window is a new document, the macro
      calls NewDoc, which runs: Label (NewDoc) Save As Dialog If
      (NewDocumentFlag=1) Go (end) Else Close End If Return which posts the
      Save As dialog. But when I tested this, a problem arose. To write good
      code, you have to allow for anything the user might choose to do. If
      the user names and locates this new file, using the Save As dialog, and
      clicks Save to exit this dialog, everything’s fine. If the user gets to
      the dialog and then presses Cancel, though, we have a problem since the
      next command is Close. What if the user wanted to leave it open? If we
      allow for that, by leaving out the Close command, the user then can’t
      choose Save and Close for a new document. How can we get around this?
      page 10 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 The solution is best
      described as outwitting the way the system and program work. When we
      include the command for a dialog, the macro pauses until that dialog
      box closes. When the Save As dialog closes, the front window is no
      longer a new document unless the user clicked Cancel. So, the next line
      in the script again checks the NewDocumentFlag. If that flag is on, the
      user must have canceled out of the dialog, and the best thing now is
      end the macro, and let the user decide what to do. If the user does
      name and save the doc, the macro then closes the file, and returns to
      either of the two places in the script which call NewDoc. And there you
      have it! Congratulations on mastering a much more complex structure
      than anything we’ve looked at up to now, as well as a more
      sophisticated use of variables. As well, the size of this month’s macro
      might have been a bit daunting. This just means, of course, that you
      can now design much more powerful and flexible scripts. Give yourself a
      pat on the back, and I’ll see you next month. *** John Rethorst, author
      of Teach Yourself WordPerfect, thinks that the Rubaiyat should read, “A
      loaf of scripts, a jug of code, and thou . . .” Contents Copyright ©
      1995, 1996 by John Rethorst. Used by permission. * * * JOHN RETHORST,
      AUTHOR OF TEACH YOURSELF WORDPERFECT, FINDS MACROS MELLIFLUOUS,
      MYSTICAL AND MAJESTIC. Easy Subtitles — a macro by Daniel Midgley
      “Subtitles” are a little-used but very handy feature of WordPerfect.
      You can use them to set off translations of foreign-language text… Les
      nuages d’hiver se sont partis The clouds of winter are gone. . …make
      notes to yourself… One of the artist’s greatest works was the
      manufacturing better word? of his own public image. …or any other uses
      you can think of. Conjugate the verb correctly: Elise and I go to Rome
      last summer. Wouldn’t it be great if you could just type your subtitle
      text easily, instead of having to go through piles of menus (and reset
      the font and size) every time? Well, that’s what this macro does. It
      allows you to type in your subtitle text with just a keystroke. The
      first time you run the macro, it will ask you to select a font and a
      size for the subtitle text, and then it will ask you for the subtitle
      text itself, as you see at left. page 11 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY
      1996 The macro remembers your settings, so the next time you want to do
      a subtitle, it will just ask you for the text. If you want to change
      your font and size settings, just type three number signs (###) instead
      of text. Then the macro will ask you for your new font and size
      choices. BlackOut—a game macro by Daniel Midgley When you start the
      game, you will see a four by four table, something like the below. Some
      of the squares will be turned on, and some will be turned off. The
      object of this game is to turn all the squares off. You do this by
      clicking on the squares. But beware! Clicking on a square makes
      adjacent squares switch as well. Figure out the pattern, and click
      away.Have fun!page 12 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 Graphics by
      Lisa Foster For the common question, “How do I place a graphic in my
      document?”, here is an overview of graphics and a few tips and tricks.
      Enjoy. GRAPHIC To insert a graphic into a document: 1. Click on
      Tools|Graphic|New OR click on the Graphic Editor button. 2. Inside the
      Graphic Editor, click on File|Insert File. Select your desired graphic
      image and Insert. 3. Click on File|Close Graphic OR click on the close
      Graphic Editor button. To manipulate your graphic within the document:
      1. In order to work with a graphic at any point in time, you must first
      click ONCE on top of the graphic to select it. You will notice a single
      border surrounding the graphic along with 3 black squares. To size the
      graphic, you can click and hold the mouse down on any one of the 3
      black squares. Drag to new size and let go of the mouse. To move the
      graphic, you can click and hold the mouse down on the center of the
      graphic. Drag and drop it to a new location. 2. To edit a graphic,
      double click on top of the graphic to launch the Graphic Editor.
      WordPerfect supports PICT, EPS, WPG and TIFF formats. The PICT format
      is the most preferable. Our HTML feature will support JPEG and GIF.
      page 13 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 TEXT BOX To create a text
      box: 1. Click on Tools|Text Box|New. 2. Type text within the dotted
      box. To size and manipulate box: 1. Click once outside of the text box.
      The dotted border now disappears. 2. Click once on top of the text to
      select the box. Sizing and moving the box within the document are the
      very same as moving and sizing a graphic (see above). 3. Double click
      on the text box to place the cursor back inside the box. Edit, add,
      remove and style your text. Adjust your text box to fit your new styled
      text. GRAPHICS TOOL PALETTE Rotate. Graphic must first be selected.
      Rotate is also available under the Arrange menu.Line Fill. This will
      turn your graphic's background on or off. Inserts text. Once this tool
      is selected, you can draw a text box on the graphic screen. Enter your
      text. You can size and move this box just like a normal text box. Pen.
      Will draw or erase the border around an object. Graphic must first be
      selected. Black box, selects foreground color for border. White box,
      selects background color for border. Click once on this tool and hold
      down mouse button to view color choices. Graphic must first be
      selected. Fill Pattern. Click once on this tool and hold down mouse
      button to view choices. Black box, selects foreground color. White box,
      selects background color. Click once on this tool and hold down mouse
      button to view color choices. Border Pattern. Click once on this tool
      and hold down mouse button to view choices. Choose the thickness of a
      graphic line or a graphic's borders. Line or graphic must first be
      selected. Zoom. Use to enlarge or reduce the graphic view. PAGE 14
      WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 To use most of these tools, the
      graphic must first be selected. To select your graphic: click once on
      top of the graphic, you can identify a selected graphic by the black
      dot that appears at each corner of the graphic. To select a tool you
      want to use, simply click it. After you use the tool, WordPerfect
      returns to using the Pointer tool. To use a tool multiple times,
      double-click the tool you want. That tool becomes highlighted to
      indicate it is selected until you click another tool. Tip Click on
      Layout|and click on Grid Snap Off. This allows you to move your graphic
      to any point on the graphic screen instead of snapping the graphic to
      the grid lines. The grid lines will still remain on screen once you
      turn off Grid Snap. WATERMARK 1. Tools|Watermark|New. Choose Watermark
      to place a graphic or text behind the text of a document. Make sure you
      choose a light gray color for the graphic. It can appear on every page,
      every other page, or specified pages. A Watermark will not display on
      the document screen. Print Preview will display both the text and the
      graphic together. OVERLAY 1. Tools|Overlay|Draw. Use Overlay to create
      a graphic that will appear over the current page of your document, like
      a transparency. When using Overlay, your entire document is brought
      into the Graphic Editor to assist you in placing your graphic at the
      perfect position in your document. page 15 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 Unlike graphics, Overlay can not be sized or moved
      at the document screen. As you add or remove text, your document will
      adjust, Overlay will not. Tools|Overlay|Draw will take you back into
      the Graphic Editor along with your document and you can adjust your
      overlay graphic. IDEAS! Create a graphic box with a black background
      and white text. This adds emphasis to your graphic and also looks
      really cool. Simply create a graphic box that contains text (by using
      the Insert Text tool, the big A). Choose a background color of black,
      and choose a text color (found under the Style menu) of white. Black
      and White Scan your signature and save it as a PICT file. Place it at
      the end of letters for a personal touch. Use Overlay when creating a
      form with empty lines. With your graphic lines drawn in Overlay, you
      can enter text on top of them at the document screen without the lines
      expanding or adjusting to the text. Create a table inside a text box.
      This allows you to easily manipulate the size of the table and to
      quickly place the table at any point in the document. Create 2
      different text boxes with tables inside both. This allows you to place
      two tables side by side. Helpful tip..... If your graphics won’t print,
      try alloting more preferred memory to WordPerfect in the Get Info
      screen at the desktop. page 16 WORDPERFECT MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 I get
      an error Type 11 on my Power Macintosh. I never got this error on my
      68k based Macintosh computer. Is this a new error for the Power
      Macintosh? A Type 11 error is listed as a hardware exception error.
      However, as with all Macintosh Type xx errors, they usually do not
      identify a particular software or hardware component error. Type xx
      errors are more general in nature. You may see more Type 11 errors on a
      Power Macintosh computer because of problems with the software based
      68k emulator. The emulator allows the RISC processor to run older
      Macintosh software. If the emulator gets corrupted while loading into
      RAM, then some of the failures caused by this are reported as Type 11
      or Hardware Exception errors. The emulator can get corrupted by either
      incompatible software or faulty hardware. TROUBLESHOOTING TYPE 11
      ERRORS When troubleshooting Type 11 errors, always eliminate software
      problems first, then check the hardware. To troubleshoot the problem,
      follow these steps: Step 1 If the problem only occurs in one
      application, and you can reproduce it consistently, contact the
      software vendor for compatibility information. (WordPerfect 3.0a, 3.1,
      and 3.5 are fully compatible) Step 2 If the problem occurs in an
      application that is fully compatible with a Power Macintosh computer,
      turn off all extensions and control panels. Check the application
      again. If the problem goes away, then troubleshoot your extensions,
      control panels or fonts. Large numbers of fonts can cause similar
      errors, troubleshoot by moving them from the Fonts folder to another
      folder. If you still have problems, follow step 3. page 17 WORDPERFECT
      MAC NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 Step 3 Perform a clean installation of the
      System Software, then test the system performance for a few days. If
      the problems continue, particularly in the Finder, there may be an
      issue with your Apple or non-Apple hardware. Step 4 Disconnect any
      external or internal SCSI devices that may have been added (or
      exchanged for the original Apple hardware) and continue testing. Since
      SCSI device drivers load into memory when the Macintosh is turned on,
      they can generate conflicts similar to extension conflicts. If you are
      using a non-Apple formatting utility, contact the vendor of the utility
      for compatibility information. Removing internal SCSI devices is best
      performed by an Apple–authorized service provider. Step 5 Remove any
      extra third party RAM and test. This is best performed by an
      Apple–authorized service provider. Step 6 Remove Level 2 Cache RAM, if
      present, and test. If you continue to get Type 11 errors using a clean
      version of the system software without any third party hardware
      attached (including internal or external SCSI devices, additional RAM,
      or Level 2 cache RAM), you need to have your computer serviced by an
      Apple-authorized service provider. Support Information Services
      Copyright 1994-95, Apple Computer, Inc. page 18 WORDPERFECT MAC
      NEWS FEBRUARY 1996 We welcome your comments, suggestions, letters, etc.
      • What did you like about the WordPerfect Mac News? • How was the
      layout? (Easy to find things, not too cluttered, graphics helpful?)
      • What would you change about the WordPerfect Mac News? • What features
      would you like to see highlighted in a future issue? • Which do you
      use? o Mac o DOS o Windows o UNIX o Other • Do you read this magazine
      on the screen, or do you print it? o Read on screen o Print it out •
      Where did you find the WordPerfect Mac News? • On the Macintosh, would
      you describe yourself as… o A beginner o A fairly proficient user o A
      power user • On WordPerfect, would you describe yourself as… o A
      beginner o A fairly proficient user o A power user You can reach us by
      e-mail at macmail @ wordperfect.com , by fax at (801) 222-6980, or
      “snail mail” to WP Mac News, MS ORM G1512, WordPerfect/Novell
      Applications Group, 1555 N. Technology Way, Orem UT 84057-2399. Send
      your letters, requests, ideas for features, and tips & tricks to us! We
      reserve the right to edit any material received for content, clarity,
      and length. By submitting material to the WordPerfect Mac News, you
      agree to assign any and all rights, title, and interest which you may
      have to your submission material and any work Novell Inc. derives from
      such submission material to Novell Inc., unless otherwise specified.
      The WordPerfect Mac News was created using WordPerfect 3.1 for
      Macintosh. The headings and the link buttons were created using
      ColorIt!™ 2.3 by MicroFrontier, Inc. Then the whole thing was printed
      to WordPerfect Envoy. WordPerfect 3.1, Document Experts, and
      WordPerfect Envoy are trademarks of Novell, Inc. ColorIt!™ is a
      trademark of MicroFrontier Inc. Apple and Macintosh are registered
      trademarks of Apple Computers Inc. NOTICE PLEASE READ: You accept this
      information with the understanding that Novell, Inc. makes no
      representations or warranties as to the suitability of this information
      for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use or
      implement this information in your own setting, you do so at your own
      risk. In no event will Novell, Inc. be liable for any damages, whether
      consequential, incidental, or special, arising out of the use of or
      inability to use the information provided herewith. Copyright Novell
      Incorporated © , 1995. All rights reserved. If you do print out the
      WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle it. page 19