WP Mac News 96/01

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      Click on one. he hectic month of December has finally past and it is
      now 1996. I hope that you enjoyed your holiday season and used
      WordPerfect to type up those New Year’s resolutions. I trust you also
      enjoyed your New Year’s celebration and feel excited for the year
      ahead. All of us here in WordPerfect Macintosh Support hope to bring
      you another year of excellent customer service and exciting monthly
      newsletters. WP Mac News is having a birthday. This month marks a full
      year of its online publication! I hope you have enjoyed reading the
      newsletter as much as we have enjoyed creating it. The most exciting
      news this month...WordPerfect 3.5 won the MacUser Eddy award! Read our
      Extra section for the juicy award details. Thanks to all those who have
      made 3.5 a success. Lisa Credits Editing and layout Lisa Foster Ken
      Freeman Web Weaver Ken Freeman Linkage Ken Freeman Error Examination
      Lisa Foster Moral Support Hans Rasmussen, Don Fowles, Tyler Thompson,
      Brian Rasmussen, David Sessions, Bryan Whittaker, and Heather Boyer The
      WordPerfect Mac News is published monthly. Find us at: •
      ftp.wordperfect.com • BBS (801) 225-4414 • CompuServe: Go wordperfect
      and check the Mac Software Library. • AOL: Keyword wordperfect in the
      Help and Info Files section of the Software Library. • WWW :
      http://netwire.novell.com/home/mac/macnews/inde x.htm page 1
      WordPerfect Mac News January 1996 WORDPERFECT 3.5 FOR MACINTOSH WINS
      1995 MACUSER EDITOR’S CHOICE AWARD FOR BEST NEW WORD PROCESSOR!
      ordPerfect 3.5 for Macintosh was selected as the winner of the 1995
      MacUser Editor’s Choice Award for “Best New Word Processing
      Application” for the Macintosh and Power Macintosh. For the second
      consecutive year, WordPerfect for Macintosh beat out all other
      Macintosh word processors in a year packed with upgrades from nearly
      every major word processing vendor. MacUser’s “Eddy” award (also
      referred to as the Editors’ Choice award) recognizes the best-of-breed
      Macintosh hardware and software products released throughout the year.
      Winners and finalists were selected by the MacUser editors based on
      their technological innovation, quality, performance, user friendliness
      and value to Macintosh users. In 1994, WordPerfect 3.1 for Macintosh
      won the Eddy award in the “Best New Word Processing Tool” category and
      continues the tradition this year by offering a superior word
      processing application to the Macintosh community. “The WordPerfect for
      Macintosh team is honored to win MacUser’s Eddy award for the second
      consecutive year,” said Heather Boyer, product marketing manager at
      Novell. “Since the product began shipping in August 1995 we have
      received positive feedback from our users and tremendous recognition
      from the industry.” OTHER INDUSTRY AWARDS ordPerfect 3.5 for Macintosh
      continues to gain momentum, recently winning other publication awards
      and Editors’ Picks. Sandra Anderson, editor-in-chief of MacHome
      Journal, recognized WordPerfect 3.5 for Macintosh as her favorite word
      processing application in the 1995 Editors’ Picks. The 1996 Hyper
      Awards, given out for the first time this year by NewMedia, chose
      WordPerfect 3.5 for Macintosh as the winner for technical excellence in
      the “HTML Creation Software for Macintosh” category. Richard Theriault,
      senior editor of Mac Today magazine, awarded WordPerfect 3.5 for
      Macintosh with the 1995 Editor’s Choice Award in the “Word Processing
      Tool” category. WordPerfect 3.5 won the award based on the following
      criteria: respect for and adherence to the page 2 WordPerfect Mac
      News January 1996 Macintosh interface, flexibility, reasonable size
      (RAM demand and disk space consumption), accessibility of functions and
      features, usability and the implementation of power features. Overall,
      Mac Today magazine awarded WordPerfect 3.5 with the Editor’s Choice
      award because the product is “deep, indulgent, complete and elegant.”
      YOU WON’T SEE WORDPERFECT FOR MACINTOSH AT MACWORLD EXPO IN SAN
      FRANCISCO, BUT LOOK FOR US IN BOSTON! n November 1995, Novell announced
      its decision to sell the Business Applications Group (which includes
      WordPerfect for Macintosh). Negotiations are still in process, but
      Novell has announced that they intend to have the sale finalized before
      January 31. Given this timeline, Novell felt it would not be
      appropriate to represent WordPerfect for Macintosh at the upcoming
      MacWorld Expo in San Francisco (January 9-12). Information on the new
      buyer has not yet been announced, but look forward to seeing
      WordPerfect for Macintosh at the MacWorld Boston Expo, under new
      ownership, proudly supporting the latest Apple technology. page 3
      WordPerfect Mac News January 1996 You can reach us by e-mail at
      macmail@..., or by fax at (801) 222-6980 . We welcome your
      comments, feedback, tips & tricks, and questions. Due to the sheer
      volume of mail we receive, you may not get a personal reply. If you
      need support for a WordPerfect product, use the support number in your
      User’s Guide. What is WordPerfect’s support policy on HTML and the
      World Wide Web? If I have difficulty publishing an HTML document I have
      created in WordPerfect, whom do I call for support? WordPerfect
      Macintosh Customer Support is available for questions concerning our
      HTML feature. Any publishing problems or browser questions should be
      directed to your Internet provider or your World Wide Web browser
      company, I.E. Netscape. We are happy to help you with questions about
      formatting your WordPerfect document for HTML, but support does not
      extend beyond document creation. Help! A few times I had to restart and
      ended up with a file in the trash called "rescued items'. They appear
      to be WP documents with names like WPSP95315878,TV...,BV... DB...,DT...
      What are they? Do I need them? How do I reinstall them? You do not need
      to be concerned about these files and it is okay to empty your trash.
      These files are used by WordPerfect to display your document. For
      example, if you have a onehundred page document and are currently
      looking at page fifty, pages 1-49 and 51-100 have to be stored
      somewhere, right? The TV# file contains the top part of the document
      (pages 1-49) and the BV# file contains the bottom part of the document
      (pages 51-100). If your computer crashes when a WP document is open,
      the next time you restart your computer, the System software (NOT
      WordPerfect) detects that these files were open when you crashed and
      creates the “Rescued Items” folder and puts the temporary files there
      for safe keeping. Again, you can trash these files for good.
      WordPerfect default settings include a timed backup feature that will
      recover documents in the event of a System crash or lock. See Timed
      Backup in WordPerfect Help or the manual. When I upgrade from 3.x to
      3.5 will I still have my macros and styles I have created? Yes! The 3.5
      installer will add a few necessary macros to your existing Library, so
      you will still have all your same resources, like macros and styles.
      The installer will also make a copy of your Library, called Library
      (USA•Backup), before making any changes. page 4 WordPerfect Mac
      News January 1996 Tool Bars You can decide which Tool Bars you want to
      display as a default. Go to the Edit menu|Preferences|Show Bars. Choose
      the Tool Bars you access frequently to default display on every
      document screen. Physical Page Number You can edit the Status bar to
      display the physical page. When changing the logical page number in any
      document, this display will give you the physical page number. Speed
      Enhancements Within A Document Graphics Display Off If you have a large
      number of graphics in your document, you can turn the display of
      graphics off and this will improve the speed as you move through the
      document. There will be an empty rectangle displayed so you can see
      where the graphics are placed and they will print.
      Edit|Preferences|Environment|uncheck Display Figures in the Graphics
      menu. Moving Within The Document The fastest method to move within a
      WordPerfect document is to use the Home, End, Page Up and Page Down
      keys. Also, using the Go To feature speeds up the movement process as
      well. With Num Lock turned off (Shift-Clear), the + and - keys will
      move you one screen at a time. Clicking in the scroll region will move
      you up or down one screen at a time. Deleting To End Of Line To delete
      the text from the cursor to the end of the line, you can use
      Command-End. page 5 WordPerfect Mac News January 1996 Some helpful
      URLs! The Complete Conflict Compendium
      http://www.islandnet.com/~quill/c3 data.html User Group Connection Home
      Page http://www.memphisweb.com/mathew/default.html Cult of Macintosh
      http://www.utu.fi/~jsirkia/mac/ Why Should I Buy A Macintosh?
      http://www.dsu.edu/~bitzm /why_buy_mac/index.html Douglas Adams on
      Windows 95 http://www.umd.umich.edu/~nhughes
      /dna/stories/adamson95.html Enjoy! page 6 WordPerfect Mac News January
      1996 Mastering Macros by John Rethorst SUBSTRINGS AND THINGS here are
      various ways to get information from the user, aside from menus and
      bribery. We looked at Get Integer recently; another is Get String.
      We’ll look at the difference between the two in a minute. First, let’s
      cut a simple macro to navigate within a table. We’ll use Get Integer to
      see what row the user wants to go to. Looking in the online help, we
      remember that the syntax for this command is: Get Integer
      (Variable;Lower Limit;Upper Limit;Title;Prompt) Since the upper limit
      for table rows is 32,767, let’s use that, and start with the line: Get
      Integer (Var01;1;32767;"Go to Row";"Enter row in table to go to:") and
      finish up with the command Position to Cell, whose syntax is: Position
      to Cell (Table ID;Column;Row) where the Table ID parameter is the
      number of the table in the document. We could specify a number if we
      wanted to limit this macro’s usefulness to the first or fifth table in
      a file, or specify the current table, whatever that might be, with the
      TableID read-only variable. Note that the variable has no spaces in its
      name, by convention. So the second line, to go to whatever row in
      column one, is: Position to Cell (TableID;1;Var01) Give that a try,
      with your insertion point in a table. This is basic (many two-line
      macros are), without provision for errors such as the insertion point’s
      not being in a table, or the user’s entering a larger number than the
      table has rows. We’ll fix these. First, though, let’s add to the macro
      so that the user can choose both column and row to navigate to. page 7
      WordPerfect Mac News January 1996 MORE COMPLEX DATA That’s not as easy
      as it might seem, since the WP Get macro commands only have a place for
      one entry. We could put a second Get Integer command in the macro, to
      specify columns, but it doesn’t seem very elegant to have one dialog
      box followed immediately by another, after which something happens. We
      could instead ask the user to enter both column and row number in one
      dialog box, with the two figures separated by a character such as a
      slash. Of course, something like “12/24” isn’t an integer any more. All
      the computer could see it as, is just a sequence of characters, which
      we call a string. Any time you use the Find/Change dialog, you’re
      searching for, and maybe replacing, strings. A string could be all
      numerals; you could search for the string “123” just as easily as
      anything else. But, defined as a string, you couldn’t add “123” to a
      number. Let’s expand on these definitions: String: any sequence of any
      length of letters and/or numerals. Examples: “123”; “one two three”;
      “23-skiddoo.” The first example, “123,” may look like a number to you
      but, to the computer, it may be a number or a string, depending on
      where it came from. Copied to the clipboard, it’s a string. This is
      because the Mac just takes whatever you select and copy, and calls it a
      string instead of figuring out whether it would make sense as a number.
      Number: something that looks like “123” but which, as an actual number,
      can be added to, subtracted from, or used in other arithmetic
      operations. “23-Skiddoo” could not be a number in any case; it just
      doesn’t make sense as a number. An integer, of course, is simply a
      whole number, positive or negative, or zero. In scripts, generally
      speaking, strings are enclosed in quotation marks, while numbers are
      not. That’s why, in a recent column, we learned to format with lines
      like: Font Name ("Palatino") Font Size (12) So if you had a font named
      “12” it would be in quotes in the Font Name command. Let’s add two more
      concepts: page 8 WordPerfect Mac News January 1996 Substring: part of a
      string. The string “12” is part of the string “123” but not part of the
      number 123 – no string is any part of any number, since they’re apples
      and oranges. Also, the number 12 isn’t part of the number 123 – it’s
      just a smaller number. A smaller number is in a manner of speaking part
      of a larger number, but 45 is then also part of 123. Substring
      position: “1” is a substring of “123” in position 1. “3” is in position
      3. In the string “Bebop,” “op” is a substring in position 4. So what
      we’ll do with all this is take the user’s input: “12/24” and find the
      substring position of the slash. It may be the second or third
      character in the string, and we need to know which. We’ll then get the
      substring going from the first character to the character before the
      slash and, finally, the substring consisting of the first character
      after the slash, going to the last character. To find that last
      character, we’ll get the string length of the user’s input. These
      concepts are shown graphically in figure 1. Note that strings are shown
      in quotes; numbers are not in quotes. That’s how we want to think about
      them. Substring: “12” String: “12/24” Substring: “24” 12/24 String
      Length=5 Substring Position=3 Figure 38: Defining a string So let’s
      start with the Get String command. The syntax is: Get String
      (Variable;Maximum Length;Title;Prompt) page 9 WordPerfect Mac
      News January 1996 with a maximum length parameter just as a check. The
      largest input we’d expect, with the maximum of 32 columns and 32767
      rows to a WP table, would be 8, consisting of 7 numerals plus the
      slash. So start a new macro, call it “Go to Table Cell” and enter: Get
      String (Var01;8;"Go to Column/Row";"Enter column and row you want to go
      to, separated by a slash:") and we'll get some data to work with in
      Var01. On a side but important note: now that you’re a WP macro
      programmer, you’re an interface designer too. If all the macros you
      write are for your own use, this is less important, but other users
      might not know beforehand that your table navigation macro will ask for
      column-slashrow. So the dialog box we wrote shows them that, by example
      in the title, and description in the prompt. A little forethought here
      is much better than all the questions you’d get otherwise. Now that we
      have this data in Var01, let’s find how long it is with the command:
      String Length (Var02;Var01) and get the position of the slash with the
      command: Substring Position (Var03;"/";Var01) which would give us, for
      our example “12/24”, a string length in Var02 of 5, and a substring
      position for the slash, in Var03, of 3. To get the column data, we use
      the Substring command which, as the trusty online help shows us, has
      the syntax: Substring (Variable;Start Position;Length;Character
      Expression) where Character Expression could be a word in quotes, or a
      variable not in quotes, to give us: Substring (Var04;1;Var03-1;Var01)
      so that the column data we want is going into Var04. It starts with the
      first character of Var01 and extends to the position of the slash minus
      1. I know this is hard at first. You might want to go over the command
      syntax for String Length, Substring Position and Substring again. Then,
      it should be easier to get the row number the user wants with:
      Substring (Var05;Var03+1;Var02;Var01) page 10 WordPerfect Mac
      News January 1996 and we’re almost there. Almost, because the substring
      commands have operated on strings with results that are themselves
      strings. But WP can’t count a number of columns or rows with a string.
      So we add the commands: String to Number (Var04;Var04) String to Number
      (Var05;Var05) to convert (programmers say “coerce”) the strings to
      numbers. Here I’m replacing a string in a variable with a number in
      that same variable. Had I wanted to keep the string for future use, I
      would have typed: String to Number (Var06;Var04) to have both to work
      with: the number in Var06, leaving the string in Var04. Now, all we
      need is the line: Position to Cell (TableID;Var04;Var05) and we have a
      working macro! Try this out, with your insertion point in a table, and
      entering column and row numbers that aren’t bigger than the table
      you’re in. CLEANUP Unfortunately, you can’t give that last sentence’s
      worth of advice to your users. To do so, you’d have to write a “manual”
      and, as you know, Mac users don’t read manuals. So let’s trap the
      errors the user might make. As your quiz for this month, I’ll give you
      the snippets of code, and you figure out where to plug them in
      (although the whole script is at the end of the column). To start with,
      put the label “end” as the last line in your script. We’ll send the
      user there if he or she does something wrong. To check that the
      insertion point is in a table, add: If (!InTableFlag) Alert ("Your
      insertion point must be in a table.") Go (end) End If page 11
      WordPerfect Mac News January 1996 To check that the user doesn’t enter
      data that’s bigger than the table, use the read-only variables
      TableMaxColumnNum and TableMaxRowNum for the lines: If
      (Var04>TableMaxColumnNum|Var05>TableMaxRowNum} Alert ("This table isn’t
      that big.") Go (end) End If with a new operator in the first line. The
      “|” symbol, which you get by typing shift-backslash, is the logical or:
      this line says that if Var04 is greater than the MaxColumn variable or
      Var05 is bigger than the MaxRow variable, post the alert. This logical
      operator is an inclusive use of “or”; we might say “and/or.” If either
      Var04 or Var05 or both are bigger than the table, you’ll see the alert.
      The user might also forget to enter the slash. To check for that, add
      the lines: If (Var03=0) Alert ("I can’t find a slash in your entry.")
      Go (end) End If since Var03 contains the position of the slash in the
      string the user entered. The next snippet isn’t an error check, but a
      convenience for the user. As written so far, the macro moves the
      insertion point to the desired cell. In a big table, the user might
      still have to search for it. Why not select the cell once we’re there,
      with the command: Select TableCell When testing that, I found that if I
      ran the macro, ending up with a selected cell, and then ran the macro a
      second time with different row and column specs, the selection didn’t
      move. So, earlier in the macro, add the lines: If (SelectionFlag) Left
      () Right () simply to deselect anything that’s selected. You now have a
      nice macro to add to your collection. Here’s the entire script: If
      (!InTableFlag) Alert ("Your insertion point must be in a table.") Go
      (end) page 12 WordPerfect Mac News January 1996 End If If
      (SelectionFlag) Left () Right () End If Get String (Var01;8;"Go to
      Table Column/Row";"Enter column and row you want to go to, separated by
      a slash:") String Length (Var02;Var01) SubString Position
      (Var03;"/";Var01) If (Var03=0) Alert ("I can’t find a slash in your
      entry.") Go (end) End If SubString (Var04;1;Var03-1;Var01) SubString
      (Var05;Var03+1;Var02;Var01) String To Number (Var04;Var04) String To
      Number (Var05;Var05) If (Var04>TableMaxColumnNum|Var05>TableMaxRowNum)
      Alert ("This table isn’t that big.") Go (end) End If Position To Cell
      (TableID;Var04;Var05) Select TableCell Label (end) and some special
      congratulations this month, since you’re now calculating substrings and
      coercing strings to numbers – real programming – that is most
      impressive at cocktail parties. Play it for what it’s worth, here in
      the information age, and I’ll see you next month. John Rethorst, author
      of Teach Yourself WordPerfect, would like to coerce strings to numbers
      on his income tax. Contents Copyright © 1995 by John Rethorst. Used by
      permission.page 13 WordPerfect Mac News January 1996 he macros
      described in this section are contained in a WordPerfect file called
      “January Macros Read Me.” It was included when you downloaded the
      WordPerfect Mac News. You can also get the file at
      ftp.wordperfect.com/pub /wpapps/mac/mac_news/newsmcro. The file also
      contains instructions for moving these macros to your Library, as well
      as more detailed help and instructions for use. Collate by WordPerfect
      This macro prints multiple collated copies of a document or specific
      pages of a document. This macro actually ships with WordPerfect 3.5 in
      the “Sample Macros Read Me” file inside the Documentation folder, but
      many fail to take advantage of it. You can indicate the number of
      copies you want and whether to print the whole document or part of the
      document. Insert Symbol by Ken Freeman If you often use characters from
      the Symbol typeface you will appreciate this next macro. The Insert
      Symbol macro changes the font to Symbol for a single character, after
      which it changes back to the previously selected font. Assign the macro
      to a keystroke, then it will only take two easy keystrokes to insert
      symbols into your documents. Frequent Filer by John Rethorst A quick
      and easy way to access your most frequently opened files, no matter
      where they are on your disks. Put a folder named “Frequent Filer
      Folder” in your WordPerfect application folder and put files or aliases
      of your most frequently accessed documents in it. When you call this
      macro, a menu appears listing up to the first 26 files or aliases,
      alphabetically, in that folder. Click on any one, and that document
      opens. page 14 WordPerfect Mac News January 1996 Bookmarks and
      Hyperlinks by Brian Rasmussen WHAT IS A BOOKMARK? or most of us,
      bookmarks are used to mark a page in a book where you want to later
      return. This same idea applies to a WordPerfect document. You can use
      the Bookmark feature to mark a single position or multiple positions
      where you want to later return quickly. WHAT IS A HYPERLINK? Hyperlinks
      will let you jump from one location in a document to another location
      within that document, jump to another document, or jump to an Internet
      address. A common use of Hyperlinks is a Table of Contents. For
      example, you have a document with five different sections. You can set
      up a Table of Contents that lists the different sections and the page
      numbers of each section. Hyperlinks enable you to automatically move
      the cursor to that section of the document and display its
      corresponding information on your screen. BOOKMARKS To begin, let’s
      create a bookmark. You need to have the BookMark toolbar showing on
      your screen, as shown below: Simply select a word or group of words in
      your document. You will notice that the Mark button on the BookMark
      toolbar darkens as you select within your document. When you click on
      Mark, you will be prompted to give the bookmark a name. This is
      WordPerfect’s way of keeping track of multiple bookmarks within a
      document. page 15 WordPerfect Mac News January 1996 When you have
      created one or more bookmarks, they will be listed when you click on
      the first button of the BookMark toolbar. To jump to that bookmark,
      simply release your mouse on that specific bookmark. Also notice that
      you can have WordPerfect display your bookmarks alphabetically if you
      would like. Otherwise, they display in the order they were created.
      This comes in handy when using multiple bookmarks. HYPERLINKS You are
      probably familiar with hyperlinks. In fact, you are probably using them
      in this Envoy document to jump to different locations. You can
      incorporate them into your WordPerfect documents. To do so, you must
      first decide on a starting point and a destination. In other words, you
      need to determine what you want to click on and where you want it to
      take you. Your destination can be any of the following: • A bookmark in
      the current document. • Another document. • A bookmark in another
      document. • An Internet address. • A macro. It will play the macro when
      you click on the hyperlink. page 16 WordPerfect Mac News January 1996
      Let’s keep it simple. In our barn yard example above, we have an item
      in our Table of Contents for chickens. Instead of manually scrolling
      down to the specific page about chickens, we can set up a hyperlink to
      take us to the chickens section whenever we click on the word chickens,
      from the Table of Contents. To create a hyperlink to our chicken
      section, we need to first create a bookmark at our destination. Move
      your cursor to the chicken section within the body of your document and
      double click to select the chicken section or heading. Create a
      bookmark by clicking on the Mark button. Give the bookmark a name of
      chickens. Now we can create the hyperlink by going back to our Table of
      Contents and selecting the word, chickens. Click on the Create button
      and the following dialog box will appear: There is a pop-up menu on the
      right side of this box that lists all bookmarks in this document.
      Simply select the one you want, in this case, chickens. Notice that the
      word, chicken, will appear for the page 17 WordPerfect Mac News January
      1996 bookmark name. Then click on the Create button. Chickens will be
      underlined in your Table of Contents indicating that it is a hyperlink.
      The Link To option adds versatility. Let’s say that instead of jumping
      to a different location within this document, you wanted WordPerfect to
      open and display another document. Change the Link To option to:
      Another Document, and select the document you want opened. The Macro
      Link To selection is another option you might consider if you have an
      informative quicktime movie about chickens. Whenever you click on the
      word chickens, it will play this quicktime movie. HTML The last Link To
      option to cover is Internet Address. If you want to access a document
      on the Internet about chickens, you can type its URL address in the
      address box. Now when you click on the word chickens, WordPerfect will
      automatically launch the Browser of your choice and display that
      document from the Internet. Question: How do I create a link to a
      bookmark within an Internet document? Answer: To accomplish this, type
      in the URL address as you would normally, but attach a number sign and
      the name of the bookmark to the end of the URL address. For example,
      Novell currently has a URL address of:
      http://netwire.novell.com/home/mac/whats new.htm. The following address
      would take you to the WordPerfect Mac Support bookmark of the same
      document: http://netwire.novell.com/home/mac/whatsnew.htm#WordPerfect
      Mac support. You can also change the destination of a hyperlink. To
      edit a hyperlink, you must first disable the links. This is done so you
      can click and select it without going to its destination. To disable
      the links, click the Disable Links button. Then click on the hyperlink
      you want to edit and choose Edit from the BookMark toolbar. When you
      are done editing the hyperlinks, turn them back on with the Enable
      Links button. Using Bookmarks and Hyperlinks is detailed on pages
      422-427 in the WordPerfect for Macintosh 3.5 User Guide. Start using
      them today and see the functionality they add to your documents! page
      18 WordPerfect Mac News January 1996 I can not view my Word 6 documents
      in WordPerfect 3.5’s Open dialog box. An Extension or Control Panel
      conflict disables the view of Word 6 documents. Check for any of the
      following and disable them: MacLinkPlus for Easy Open (MacLinkPlus for
      WordPerfect 3 is an Extension that should remain active), Directory
      Assistance II (installs with Norton’s Utilities), Now Menus, or Disk
      Doubler. In the Save As dialog box, the only format options for saving
      are: WordPerfect 3, WordPerfect 3 Stationery, and WordPerfect 3
      Compressed. Where are the rest of my conversions? Restart the computer,
      holding down the Command and Option keys to rebuild your desktop. This
      organizes a new System desktop file that will recognize the conversions
      available to WordPerfect. WordPerfect 3.5 does not recognize my PICT
      and EPS graphics when I try to insert them into an HTML document. HTML
      images must be a GIF or JPEG format. You can use the utility, GIF
      Converter, to convert any PICT and EPS images. My old WordPerfect 5.1
      and 6.0 documents won’t open on my new Power Mac. What is wrong? You
      need to turn ON Modern Memory Manager in the Memory Control Panel.
      Restart the computer and your 5.1 and 6.0 documents will open just
      fine. When I preview my HTML document in Netscape, it doesn’t recognize
      any indent that I have placed in the middle of a sentence. The HTML
      format WILL NOT recognize an indent that is placed within text. It WILL
      BE recognized at the beginning of a paragraph or sentence. Use spaces
      instead of an indent to align or move text. page 19 WordPerfect Mac
      News January 1996We welcome your comments, suggestions, letters, etc.
      • What did you like about the WordPerfect Mac News? • How was the
      layout? (Easy to find things, not too cluttered, graphics helpful?)
      • What would you change about the WordPerfect Mac News? • What features
      would you like to see highlighted in a future issue? • Which do you
      use? o Mac o DOS o Windows o UNIX o Other • Do you read this magazine
      on the screen, or do you print it? o Read on screen o Print it out •
      Where did you find the WordPerfect Mac News? • On the Macintosh, would
      you describe yourself as… o A beginner o A fairly proficient user o A
      power user • On WordPerfect, would you describe yourself as… o A
      beginner o A fairly proficient user o A power user You can reach us by
      e-mail at macmail @ wordperfect.com , by fax at (801) 222-6980, or
      “snail mail” to WP Mac News, MS ORM G1512, WordPerfect/Novell
      Applications Group, 1555 N. Technology Way, Orem UT 84057-2399. Send
      your letters, requests, ideas for features, and tips & tricks to us! We
      reserve the right to edit any material received for content, clarity,
      and length. By submitting material to the WordPerfect Mac News, you
      agree to assign any and all rights, title, and interest which you may
      have to your submission material and any work Novell Inc. derives from
      such submission material to Novell Inc., unless otherwise specified.
      The WordPerfect Mac News was created using WordPerfect 3.1 for
      Macintosh. The headings and the link buttons were created using
      ColorIt!™ 2.3 by MicroFrontier, Inc. Then the whole thing was printed
      to WordPerfect Envoy. WordPerfect 3.1, Document Experts, and
      WordPerfect Envoy are trademarks of Novell, Inc. ColorIt!™ is a
      trademark of MicroFrontier Inc. Apple and Macintosh are registered
      trademarks of Apple Computers Inc. NOTICE PLEASE READ: You accept this
      information with the understanding that Novell, Inc. makes no
      representations or warranties as to the suitability of this information
      for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use or
      implement this information in your own setting, you do so at your own
      risk. In no event will Novell, Inc. be liable for any damages, whether
      consequential, incidental, or special, arising out of the use of or
      inability to use the information provided herewith. Copyright Novell
      Incorporated © , 1995. All rights reserved. If you do print out the
      WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle it. page 20