WP Mac News 95/10

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      October 1995 Issue 10 Click on one. Credits Editing— Lisa Foster Layout
      and Linkage— Cliff Nielsen Web Weaver— Cliff Nielsen Moral Support—
      Hans Rasmussen, Don Fowles, Tyler Thompson, Brian Rasmussen, Steve
      LeMmon, David Sessions, Gene Bowley, Ken Freeman New Authority Figure—
      Bryan Whittaker Amusement— Todd “Ruprecht” Foster elcome to the October
      issue of the WordPerfect for Macintosh News! We would like to impart a
      special welcome to our two new fledgling editors, Lisa Foster and Cliff
      Nielsen. Lisa and Cliff have been stalwart supporters of the Mac News
      and WordPerfect. They are very excited to take on the newsletter and
      helping you get the most out of WordPerfect for Macintosh. Many thanks
      to Daniel for the great work that he has done in pioneering this
      project. His talents and creativity will be greatly missed! The new
      editors still crave your input, so keep that readership mail coming.
      Send comments, questions, tips & tricks, and other contributions to
      macmail@.... We can’t afford to pay you for this valuable
      input, but we will do our best let others know about you and what a
      power user you are! Thanks — Lisa and Cliff The WordPerfect Mac News is
      published monthly. Find us at: • ftp.wordperfect.com • BBS (801)
      225-4414 • CompuServe: Go wordperfect and check the Mac Software
      Library. • AOL: Keyword wordperfect in the Help and Info Files section
      of the Software Library. • WWW:
      http://www.novell.com:80/ServSupp/mac/macnews/index.htm page 1
      WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 You can reach us by e-mail at
      macmail@..., or by fax at (801) 222-6980. We welcome your
      comments, feedback, tips & tricks, and questions. Due to the sheer
      volume of mail we receive, you may not get a personal reply. If you
      need support for a WordPerfect product, use the support number in your
      User’s Guide. Why I switched (from Microsoft Word). I switched when I
      was forced to use my WordPerfect umbrella to shield myself from my
      exploding Mac as I installed the behemoth that is Word 6. Fortunately,
      I had my WordPerfect water bottle to put out the ensuing fire!— Eric
      Kemp —We certainly have heard enough about the problems of MS Word 6.0,
      but nothing like this! With WP now installed, we hope that you and your
      Mac are OK after that experience. Thank goodness for those Novell gifts
      from MacWorld! It doesn’t rain much in Utah, but this just goes to
      show, never look a gift horse in the mouth. page 2 WordPerfect Mac
      News October 1995 QUICK FONT SIZING Use Command-Shift-> and
      Command-Shift-< key combinations to increase or decrease font size in
      any selected text. QUICK KERNING Kerning is an option under the Layout
      menu, but a quick alternative is using a keystroke with the F1 and F2
      keys (if you have an extended keyboard). Press Shift–F1 to move letters
      together one point and Shift–F2 to move them apart one point. You can
      see the change in your document immediately. EXTRA MENU KEYS Want a way
      to really speed up your work? Try Extra Menu Keys. This Preferences
      option will allow you to keep your hands on the keyboard and not reach
      for the mouse so often. Probably the two most well known menu
      keystrokes are: Save (Cmnd-S) and Print (Cmnd-P). But there are many
      more. From the Edit menu choose Preferences. In Preferences, single
      click on Environment. In Environment, pull down on the Options menu.
      The second option from the top is Extra Menu Keys. Choose that and
      click on OK to close Environment, and click on the close button to
      close Preferences. Now pull down on the File menu. You should see Extra
      Menu Keys informing you that Print Preview is Cmnd-Shift-P, Save As is
      Cmnd-Shift-S, and so on! GO TO Double clicking the Page (Pg) or Line
      (Ln) position in the lower left corner of your document (status bar)
      brings up the Go To dialog box and lets you go to a specific page or
      line of your document. page 3 WordPerfect Mac News October 1995
      Mastering Macros by John Rethorst More on the Menu The quiz last month
      asked you to rewrite the White Space menu macro using Case and Labels,
      instead of the If/Else statement I used. The answer is: Menu
      (Var00;"White Space";{"Show";"Hide"}) Case
      (Var00;{1;Show;2;Hide};cancel) Label (cancel) End Macro Label (Show)
      White Space (Show) End Macro Label (Hide) White Space (Hide) which
      works out to be a little more code for this example. But, if you had
      more than two options for the user, the If/Else structure would start
      to take up a lot of room. And it’s a great rule of thumb that shorter
      macros are better. Depending on what the script is doing, a shorter one
      may run faster, and they’re definitely easier to debug. Custom Menus
      The menus we looked at last month gave you additional program commands,
      or made existing commands easier to reach. There’s not much of a limit
      on what you can do with menus, though. How about your own menu made up
      of commands, frequently-used documents, boilerplate text, or anything
      you’d like to have in one place for fast access? Let’s go. First, make
      a list of what you want. This could be something like: 1) Append
      selection to clipboard 2) Open journal 3) Select entire table 4) Type
      my address 5) Typeover toggle a list I got by taking a tour through the
      online Macro Help’s Index of page 4 WordPerfect Mac News October 1995
      commands to see what I might like to put on a custom menu. You can take
      the same tour, or build this menu first to see how to interpret the
      online Help. To make this menu, start with: Menu (Var01;"My Work
      Menu";{"Append selection to clipboard";"Open Journal";"Select
      table";"Type my address";"Typeover toggle"}) to give you a menu title
      and selections. Note that all parameters for the menu command are
      enclosed in parentheses and separated by semicolons, and that the list
      of menu items is further enclosed in curly brackets. Next, put in a
      Case command. This will have the same variable (Var01) as its first
      parameter, followed by numbers starting with 1, to reflect what the
      user put in Var01 with the menu and, for each number, a label. The
      labels can be anything you want; they just have to match the labels
      listed later in the macro. Although this might seem largely a repeat of
      the list of options in the Menu command above, one important difference
      is that the Menu command has the title and items in quotes. The Case
      command doesn’t, for reasons we’ll get to. So for our example, this
      would read: Case
      (Var01;{1;append;2;journal;3;select;4;address;5;typeover} ;cancel)
      followed by the lines: Label (cancel) End Macro in case the user calls
      the menu, and then decides to click in the close box (thereby not
      assigning Var01 a value). We’re halfway there. All we need to do now is
      fill in the commands for these various labels. Looking up syntax The
      online Macro Help will tell us how to do this. From the Balloon Help
      menu (not the Apple menu’s Help), choose WP Macro Help… and from the
      Help Topics list, click Index. Zoom the window if you like, and scroll
      down to and click on Append to Clipboard. You’ll see figure 1: page 5
      WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 Figure 1: the Append to Clipboard
      macro command description. where you can click on the icon of the hand
      pointing right to see what program equivalent, if any, there is. You
      can also read the purpose of the command. The Syntax part is the most
      important for us at the moment. The command in your macro script must
      read exactly like this, including spaces. So, the next lines in your
      macro would read: Label (append) Append to Clipboard End Macro with the
      End Macro command so that the macro doesn’t go off and execute all the
      other following labels as well. Note that the spelling of the label
      here exactly matches the spelling in the Case command. And you get the
      idea for one-line commands. But the next one, Open Journal, depends on
      some things: where your file is and what you’ve named it. No problem,
      just look up the syntax to see that it’s like figure 2: page 6
      WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 Figure 2: the syntax for the Open
      command where you can click on the dotted, underlined “character
      expression” to see what that means. This part of your script would then
      read: Label (journal) Open Document ("Your hard disk name:folder name
      (if any):2nd folder name (if any, etc.):filename") End Macro and, of
      course, you could have any number of these in your menu for those
      documents you want to access often, but perhaps not often enough that
      you can depend on them being in the Open Latest menu. You're on your
      own for the next label, to Select an entire Table. The next label, to
      type your address, is simple enough. It's: Label (address) Type (66
      Green Dolphin St.) Hard Return Type (Anywhere, USA 12345) End Macro and
      put tabs in there (the word Tab on its own line, just like Hard Return)
      if you want your address over to the right side of the page. page 7
      WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 If you’d like, add the line: Date
      Text And, you're on your own for the last label, Typeover. (Actually,
      in case you need some assistance, the whole script is at the end of
      this column.) In case of error This is all very nice, but remember the
      online Help’s description of the Append to Clipboard command? If no
      text is selected, or nothing is already on the clipboard, this command
      will return an error whose descriptive alerts could be more detailed.
      Let’s trap those errors, by a couple of If statements that look for an
      empty clipboard, or nothing selected, and alert the user. So we get:
      Label (append) If (Clipboard="");if there’s nothing on the clipboard
      Alert ("Can't append to an empty clipboard.") End Macro End If If
      (!SelectionFlag);if nothing is selected Alert ("You must select
      something to append.") End Macro End If Append to Clipboard;the
      original command, if we get this far End Macro so users have more
      feedback about what they’re doing wrong. As info, the If statement
      testing for nothing on the clipboard uses the two double quotes with
      nothing between them to signify a null string. Anything on the
      clipboard would be a string: any sequence of letters and numerals, just
      as would be used for a string in the Find/Change dialog. The error you
      get by choosing Select Table when the insertion point isn’t in a table,
      is similar. You can change that alert with an If statement testing the
      InTableFlag. Try that. Document management Let’s spruce up the Open
      Journal label. As it is, it opens the file and that’s it. But ’twould
      be nicer if it opened the file, went to the end, drew a line across the
      page, hit Return, entered the date, and hit Return twice more. This
      would be a good part to record. With your Journal file open and the
      insertion point in the script editor at the beginning of the End Macro
      command, just after the Open Document command, make the Journal file
      active and record these steps: 1) Go to the end of the file, using
      whatever keystroke you do that with. 2) Press Return. 3) Turn paragraph
      border on, top only, whatever line type you like. 4) Press Return. 5)
      Insert Date Text. 6) Press Return twice. which will give you this
      addition to your script: page 8 WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 End
      () Hard Return Begin Border Options (Paragraph) Border Sides (Top
      On;Left Off;Bottom Off;Right Off;) Border (On) End Border Options Hard
      Return Date Text Hard Return Hard Return in between the Open Document
      and End Macro commands for the Journal label. Try that out. Hey. This
      is fun. You betcha. Assign your work menu a convenient keystroke, and
      then see what other gems the online Macro Help can point you to. These
      can be macro commands without a program equivalent, as are Append to
      Clipboard, Select Table, and Typeover. They can be any other commands
      as well, say those you use often and would like to have more immediate
      access to. If there are styles you call a lot, for example, and would
      like to access by keystroke, you can use: Apply Style ("Style Name") or
      any number of text entries (although my Glossary macros on
      ftp.wordperfect.com are a more efficient way of doing these – we’ll
      look at that macro next month) or opening any number of files. Another
      good candidate for a menu entry is any sequence you perform often, but
      not often enough to give it its own macro, keystroke, and spot on the
      main macro menu. If you find yourself taking the active document and
      changing the margins, spacing, font, and size, printing a copy, then
      changing the formatting back for further possible screen editing, put
      all those in a macro sequence and add it to your menu. Caution: pay
      attention to whether the parameter for the macro command, as defined in
      the online Help, includes quotation marks. The Font Name command does,
      for example, while Font Size does not. The answers at the end of the
      book If you ran into any difficulty building parts of this macro,
      here’s the whole thing. The dividers, comment lines starting with
      semicolons, just make things easier to read: Menu (Var01;"My Work
      Menu";{"Append selection to clipboard";"Open Journal";"Select
      table";"Type my address";"Typeover toggle"}) Case
      (Var01;{1;append;2;journal;3;select;4;address;5;typeover};cancel) Label
      (cancel) End Macro
      ;=================================================================
      Label (append) If (Clipboard="");if there’s nothing on the clipboard
      Alert ("Can't append to an empty clipboard.") End Macro End If If
      (!SelectionFlag);if nothing is selected Alert ("You must select
      something to append.") page 9 WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 End
      Macro End If Append to Clipboard;the original command, if we get this
      far End Macro
      ;=================================================================
      Label (journal) Open Document ("Disk:Folder:File");you need to edit
      this path End () Hard Return Begin Border Options (Paragraph) Border
      Sides (Top On;Left Off;Bottom Off;Right Off) Border (On) End Border
      Options Hard Return Date Text Hard Return Hard Return End Macro
      ;=================================================================
      Label (select) If (!InTableFlag) Alert ("Your insertion point must be
      in a table.") End Macro End If Select Table End Macro
      ;=================================================================
      Label (address) Type (66 Green Dolphin St.) Hard Return Type (Anywhere,
      USA 12345) End Macro
      ;=================================================================
      Label (typeover) Typeover ; this is a toggle command and, as anyone can
      see, you’re doing some very sophisticated stuff. Not every WP user in
      your group has his/her own menu, you know. So don’t be afraid of that
      online Macro Help, and add anything you want. Some of the commands
      listed in the Help file are beyond us yet, but we’ll be there pretty
      quick. The point to note now is not whether the glass is half empty or
      half full, but how fast it’s filling up. See you next month. page 10
      WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 Quiz Using the Print Options and
      Print commands and the variable PhysicalPage, add a command to your
      menu to print only the current page (i.e. the page the insertion point
      is on), without going through the Print Dialog. Hint: you’ll need to
      use PhysicalPage twice. * * * John Rethorst, author of Teach Yourself
      WordPerfect, is rumored to practice macro-mumbojumbo at midnight when
      the moon is full. The contents of this article are copyright © 1995
      John Rethorst. All rights reserved. Used with permission. page 11
      WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 End of Document by Daniel Midgley
      Sometimes I have wanted to do a macro that will move the cursor down my
      document, selecting text and formatting as it goes. Naturally, I want
      it to stop when it hits the end of the document. The frustrating thing
      is that in WordPerfect, there is no “End of Document” variable, and my
      macro has no way of knowing when it’s hit the end, so it loops and
      loops forever. Well, here’s a little squib that you can incorporate
      into your macro. This will make the macro check if it’s at the end of
      the document, and if it does it will stop. Label (start) Assign
      (Var09;LogicalLine) ; Checks to see what line we're on Down () ; Moves
      down a line If (Var09=LogicalLine) ; If we just went down a line, but
      LogicalLine stayed the same, we must be at the end of the document, so…
      End Macro ; or "Go (label)" or "Alert" if you prefer End If Go (start)
      ; Does the loop again. Fill Series by Ken Freeman This macro gives you
      the ability to continue a series of data within selected cells. For
      example: you want to make a calendar that begins with Sunday in the
      first cell, and ends with Saturday in the last cell. Type the word
      Sunday in the first cell, and then select, from left to right, the
      cells to be filled in. page 12 WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 Then,
      run the “Fill Series” Macro. The result will be: Another example: You
      want the years 1995 through 2000 to continue down a column of a table.
      Type the starting year, 1995, in the first cell. Select downward in the
      column, the number of cells you want to continue the series. Run the
      “Fill Series” macro, and waala! This macro recognizes whole numbers,
      days of the week, and months. Three letter abbreviations can be used
      with the days of the week and months (e.g. Mon or Mon., Jan or Jan.).
      You can select a single row (to fill right), or a single column (to
      fill down). I recommend assigning the keystroke, Option-F, to the
      macro. page 13 WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 WordPerfect 3.5 Basics
      by Lisa Foster It’s WordPerfect 3.5! It has FINALLY shipped! It’s
      WordPerfect 3.5 and it’s spectacular! Congratulations to those who
      worked so hard to release this version, and Good Luck to our
      WordPerfect users. The following are brief highlights of our new
      features, a few of which were originally published in our July
      newsletter. We thought we would review them for you again to remind you
      of the great additions to the program and to entice you if you have yet
      to upgrade.... Envelopes Our Envelopes macro is now an automated
      feature. It is located under the File | Print Envelope. With the new
      Envelopes feature, you can: • More easily customize both the envelope
      size and address positions. • Add bar codes above or below your
      address. • Change address font and size. • Save addresses from your
      document in the envelope address book. • Merge to a destination
      address. • Sample view of what your envelope will look like when
      printed. Labels Our Labels macro is new, improved, and now a Template:
      • It is located under the File menu | Templates | Labels. • One step
      process to repeat your name and address on every label. • Create blank
      labels or a merge form file. page 14 WordPerfect Mac News October 1995
      • Lines have been added to display where each label begins and ends.
      • A new button bar gives quick access to Labels content, position, and
      format. The Help button brings instructions by way of a readme file.
      HTML Conversion & Internet Publishing Tools As the World Wide Web (WWW)
      expands and grows at a steady rate, our users have found the need to
      create HTML documents. 3.5’s HTML format gives ease to editing and
      publishing documents for the Web. A simple click in the Save As dialog
      box can change a document’s format from WordPerfect to HTML. A new
      feature bar has been added to assist with headings, styles, quotes, and
      images. (Look forward to HTML & Internet Publishing Tools in December’s
      newsletter) Make It Fit You’ve asked for it, so here it is! This
      feature will adjust your document to the number of pages you specify.
      Example: You have a document that is 70 pages in length, but your
      required final product can not exceed 65 pages (or, that final term
      paper has to be 75 pages, sound familiar?). No problem! Let WordPerfect
      3.5 do the work for you. The Make It Fit feature will use font size,
      margins, and line spacing to configure your document to its new size.
      page 15 WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 Bookmarks Bookmarks enable
      you to link parts of a document to other places in the same document -
      or completely different documents. You can even link bookmarks to URL
      addresses and run a macro! Your links can be preserved throughout the
      HTML export to create linked World Wide Web pages. Text to Speech
      WordPerfect 3.5 installs Plaintalk - Text to Speech. Simply highlight
      any text on your screen and click on the button, . A variety of voices
      are provided for easy listening and cost-free entertainment. This
      feature is perfect for document editing. Make sure you have MacinTalk 2
      or MacinTalk Pro loaded (depending on your system) along with the
      Speech Manager and its Voices (these items come with the WP program).
      New Conversion and Button Bar Additions Again, you have asked for it,
      and WordPerfect delivers. 3.5 ships with a DataViz filter for MICROSOFT
      WORD 6! Woo Hoo, bring those documents on over! New buttons that can be
      added to your button bars: Will create a table with data from an Excel
      database. (Copies and Pastes from the open Excel application.) Will
      create a table with data from a FileMaker Pro database. (Copies and
      Pastes from the open FileMaker Pro application.) Will launch the
      selected World Wide Web Browser. Will preview the current document in
      the selected Web Browser. Opens the easy Envelopes printing feature.
      So, there you have it. A few of the delicious and delightful new
      features of WordPerfect 3.5. Now it’s your turn to dive in and find out
      what you like about our new version. Let us know what you think! page
      16 WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 Sometimes when I use the Border
      buttons to underline words, I get lines popping up in different places
      unexpectedly throughout my document? Why is that, and how do I stop it?
      You should really highlight your text first, and then click the Border
      button. More elaborate explanation forthcoming, of course. Whenever I
      go to start a new footnote, I see some text there. It’s text I typed a
      long time ago, but it’s now appearing in every footnote. How do I stop
      it? You must have typed some text into the Footnote Style. Every
      footnote looks to a thing called the Footnote Style to know how to
      behave. Whatever you put into the Footnote Style will show up in every
      footnote, whether that’s a font, a size,—or text, as you seem to have.
      To fix it, go to Layout/Footnotes/Style. You’ll see a small document
      called “Library Style: Footnote” on your screen, and you’ll probably
      also see the text you typed long ago. Delete the text, but be careful
      not to erase the Superscript and Number codes because they’re what
      places the number in each Footnote. When you’re done, close the
      document. This also works if you’re having the same problem with
      endnotes, headers, or even all new documents. How do I import Chinese
      or Japanese text files? They all come up garbage. Go to a new
      WordPerfect document, and turn Show Codes on (Edit/Show Codes). Set the
      language. (Tools/Language/Set Language, then choose the language). This
      should also insert the proper font. Check to see that a correct
      language font is just after the language code. If not insert one. Go to
      File and choose Insert File. Select the file and insert. It should open
      in the proper font and language. If you are going to do a lot of this
      type of import, create a style with the proper language and font codes.
      Then you can turn that style on and insert the file. Much faster! page
      17 WordPerfect Mac News October 1995 I’m saving a file as text. What am
      I supposed to with this dialog? The first part’s easy. Pick the format
      (Mac, PC, Unix, NeXT, Amiga) that matches the computer you’re sending
      the text to. This leaves you with two choices. Use Delete Soft Returns
      if you want those automatic breaks at the end of each line to disappear
      so the text will wrap normally when it gets to the other computer. This
      is best for most purposes. Use Soft Returns to Hard Returns if you want
      the automatic breaks to turn to hard returns. page 18 WordPerfect Mac
      News October 1995 We welcome your comments, suggestions, letters, etc.
      • What did you like about the WordPerfect Mac News? • How was the
      layout? (Easy to find things, not too cluttered, graphics helpful?)
      • What would you change about the WordPerfect Mac News? • What features
      would you like to see highlighted in a future issue? • Which do you
      use? o Mac o DOS o Windows o UNIX o Other • Do you read this magazine
      on the screen, or do you print it? o Read on screen o Print it out •
      Where did you find the WordPerfect Mac News? • On the Macintosh, would
      you describe yourself as… o A beginner o A fairly proficient user o A
      power user • On WordPerfect, would you describe yourself as… o A
      beginner o A fairly proficient user o A power user You can reach us by
      e-mail at macmail @ wordperfect.com, by fax at (801) 222-6980, or
      “snail mail” to WP Mac News, MS ORM G-1512, WordPerfect/Novell
      Applications Group, 1555 N. Technology Way, Orem UT 84057-2399. Send
      your letters, requests, ideas for features, and tips & tricks to us! We
      reserve the right to edit any material received for content, clarity,
      and length. By submitting material to the WordPerfect Mac News, you
      agree to assign any and all rights, title, and interest which you may
      have to your submission material and any work Novell Inc. derives from
      such submission material to Novell Inc., unless otherwise specified.
      The WordPerfect Mac News was created using WordPerfect 3.1 for
      Macintosh. The headings and the link buttons were created using
      ColorIt!™ 2.3 by MicroFrontier, Inc. Then the whole thing was printed
      to WordPerfect Envoy. WordPerfect 3.1, Document Experts, and
      WordPerfect Envoy are trademarks of Novell, Inc. ColorIt!™ is a
      trademark of MicroFrontier Inc. Apple and Macintosh are registered
      trademarks of Apple Computers Inc. NOTICE PLEASE READ: You accept this
      information with the understanding that Novell, Inc. makes no
      representations or warranties as to the suitability of this information
      for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use or
      implement this information in your own setting, you do so at your own
      risk. In no event will Novell, Inc. be liable for any damages, whether
      consequential, incidental, or special, arising out of the use of or
      inability to use the information provided herewith. Copyright Novell
      Incorporated © , 1995. All rights reserved. If you do print out the
      WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle it. page 19