WP Mac News 95/11

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      Click on one. owdy, from the crossroads of the West! Autumn is in full
      swing here in Utah. For those of you living in the sun belt, Autumn is
      when the leaves on trees change into beautiful golds, reds and yellows
      before falling into crinkly piles. This month’s newsletter includes
      more great tips, macros and resolutions to those nasty little problems
      you might be encountering. John Rethorst explains global macro
      variables in the Mastering Macros section. Back by popular demand we
      re-present the emboss macro created by the former editor of WP Mac
      News, Daniel Midgley. Have you ever seen a typeface waterfall? If not
      check out the Typeface Info macro! This months Feature Highlight
      focuses on using Styles. Once you learn how to use Styles you’ll wonder
      what you ever did without them. Please tell a fellow user about
      WordPerfect Mac News! If you have any questions please contact us at
      MacMail@.... Enjoy! Credits Editing and layout Lisa Foster Cliff
      Nielsen Web Weaver Cliff Nielsen Linkage Ken Freeman Error Examination
      Lisa Foster Moral Support Hans Rasmussen, Don Fowles, Tyler Thompson,
      Brian Rasmussen, David Sessions, Gene Bowley, Jennifer Bingham, Coleen
      Soucy, Brian Wittaker and John Canarroe The WordPerfect Mac News is
      published monthly. Find us at: • ftp.wordperfect.com • BBS (801)
      225-4414 • CompuServe: Go wordperfect and check the Mac Software
      Library. • AOL: Keyword wordperfect in the Help and Info Files section
      of the Software Library. • WWW :
      http://www.novell.com:80/ServSupp/mac/macnews/i ndex.htm page 1
      WordPerfect Mac News November 1995 You can reach us by e-mail at
      macmail@..., or by fax at (801) 222-6980 . We welcome your
      comments, feedback, tips & tricks, and questions. Due to the sheer
      volume of mail we receive, you may not get a personal reply. If you
      need support for a WordPerfect product, use the support number in your
      User’s Guide. A new and converted WordPerfect user, Gerry Hoeltge: As a
      new user of WordPerfect, I stumbled upon your magazine using AOL's
      keyword "WordPerfect". What a treat! This is one powerful word
      processor! I am amazed with its potential....WordPerfect is fast and
      faithful to the Mac interface. It is complex – probably more complex
      than W*** 6.0 – but your product's detail is stored in your powerful
      macro command language rather than in nested menus. Your electronic
      magazine is a wonderful learning tool. Keep up the good work! The new
      Envelope feature is great, but I have encountered a few problems. I
      have to select the right edge print feed even though my HP4M is a left
      edge printer, and the print envelope dialog does not recognize my
      envelope feeder? — Both problems are known problems. You are using the
      HP LaserWriter driver provided by Hewlett Packard. Even though the HP4
      is a left edge printer (meaning you feed the envelope on the left side
      of the tray) the HP provided driver causes the envelope data to be
      printed on the right side! You may use the Apple LaserWriter Pro 630
      driver with the HP4M and then the printer will print the envelope
      correctly. Or, you can continue to choose right edge printer feed in
      the Print Envelope dialog. As for the envelope feeder not being
      recognized we are aware of this problem and the developers are working
      on a fix. A work around is to print using QuickDraw GX, then the
      envelope feeder will be available. I’m getting a -108 error when
      installing WordPerfect 3.5 from the CDROM? — The “Install WordPerfect”
      icon on the root level of the CD launches a Macromind Director
      interface for the install process. You can bypass this by installing
      from the WP Installer file found in the “Installers” folder (scroll
      window down to view the Installers folder). How can I set up a
      WordPerfect installer on my network? — If you wish users to install
      WordPerfect from a file server to their individual hard drives, copy
      the contents of each install disk into a single folder on your file
      server. Each user can then execute the installation onto their own hard
      drive from the file server. page 2 WordPerfect Mac News November 1995
      GREAT TIP FROM JOHN RETHORST! The Sumex Info-Mac software archives at
      Stanford contain the most comprehensive collection of Macintosh
      shareware and freeware on the Internet. As of September 29, they have a
      new folder for WordPerfect enhancements! It’s URL is
      ftp://sumex-aim.stanford.edu/infomac/text/wp, and contains the files in
      the list below. These files are various readmes and macros to assist
      you in doing things in WP for Macintosh. append-copy-cut-wp.hqx.gz
      arabic-to-roman-numeral-wp.hqx.gz auto-insert-date-20-wp.hqx.gz
      classification-201-wp.hqx.gz classification-alerts-10-wp.hqx.gz
      copy-text-only-wp.hqx.gz copy-x-of-y-copies-20-wp.hqx.gz
      cut-and-append-to-file-wp.hqx.gz extended-counting-wp.hqx.gz
      georges-bookmarks-10-wp.hqx.gz indexing-macros-10-wp.hqx
      johns-bookmarks-wp.hqx.gz johns-char-styles-101-wp.hqx.gz
      johns-citations-wp.hqx.gz johns-find-recent-macros-wp.hqx.gz
      johns-glossary-macros-wp.hqx.gz johns-note-editor-wp.hqx.gz
      johns-outlining-40-wp.hqx.gz johns-window-manager-wp.hqx.gz
      letter-spacing-wp.hqx.gz link-documents-wp.hqx.gz
      re-number-11-wp.hqx.gz time-last-opened-103-wp.hqx.gz
      times-opened-103-wp.hqx.gz word-list-21-wp.hqx.gz FONT SUGGESTION If
      you regularly transfer documents between the PC and the Macintosh, use
      fonts that exist by the same name on each platform. Also choose the
      same printer driver on each platform. TIMED BACKUP When working on a
      Powerbook or portable, make sure your timed backup is set to a number
      less than your sleep time. WordPerfect defaults to 15 minutes and the
      Sleep time usually defaults to 5 minutes. The problem with having a
      sleep time less than timed backup is that you can lose your document if
      you lose power to the machine. And we all know what a bummer losing
      data is. SCREEN CAPTURE An easy keystroke to capture a picture of your
      screen is Command-Shift-3. A PICT file will be saved to your hard drive
      named “Picture 1” (the number will increment for each file created).
      OPTION HYPHEN Use Option-Hyphen to eliminate a word breaking at the
      hyphen when at the end of a line. page 3 WordPerfect Mac News November
      1995 Mastering Macros by John Rethorst Going Global p to now, we’ve
      used read-write variables that we wrote a value to, and then could read
      that value from, while the macro was running. When the macro ended, the
      values simply disappeared. We call these local variables, and they’re
      nice for many uses. At other times, though, we need a variable that
      will hold its value after a macro ends – until you quit WP or write
      something else to the variable. These are global variables. Like the
      local variables, there are 50 of them, denoted GlobalVar00 -
      GlobalVar49. Let’s see what we can do with these. Making a glossary One
      use is to keep any piece of text until you need it. Put access to the
      contents of several global variables on a menu, and you have a glossary
      feature. I wrote one of these, with a menu giving you up to 26 glossary
      entries, each up to 255 characters (the maximum string length a WP
      variable can hold). Aside from the length limit, there’s quite an
      advantage to putting a glossary entry in a variable rather than putting
      the actual text in the macro script, as we did last month with an
      address on a work menu. Simply, the entry is much easier to change if
      we put it in some reference document, which a macro could read, and
      then put in a variable. You could of course change the text in the
      script itself, but as you become more advanced with macros you’ll find
      yourself writing them for associates as well as yourself and, if your
      associate isn’t learning macros too, asking him/her to edit a script is
      a daunting task. So let’s do it better. For a start, create a new
      document with a table of one column and 26 rows. Don’t have any blank
      lines above the table. Name this document “Glossary File” and save it
      in the WordPerfect folder in the Preferences folder in your System
      Folder (or leave the Preferences folder out of that path if you’re
      using system 6). Put a few words of text in the first cell of that
      table, and close the file. page 4 WordPerfect Mac News November 1995
      Now we want to cook up a macro that will open this file (probably when
      you start WP), and put the contents of that cell into a global
      variable. A second macro, which we’ll call when we want to insert the
      glossary entry, will put the contents of that variable on a menu, and
      the user can just click on it. The macro will then type the variable
      into the document at the insertion point. The macro to assign entries
      So the first macro starts by opening the glossary file you just made.
      How does the macro find it? When you start WP, one of the things it
      does is ask your Mac for the location of its system folder, and then
      puts that into a read-only variable called BootDir. So we can start the
      path with that, and not worry about what you or anyone else has named
      their hard disk, or how many levels deep the System Folder is, and so
      on. The first command is then: Open Document
      (BootDir$"Preferences:WordPerfect:Glossary File") with the join
      operator ($) hooking up the read-only variable with the character
      expression containing the rest of the path to the file. As a character
      expression, it’s in quotes. With the file open, and a table at the top
      of the file, the insertion point will be in the first cell. From there
      we can : 1) select the contents of the cell 2) copy 3) assign a global
      variable to the clipboard and, since people generally start using
      variables 1, 2, 3 etc. in their macros, let’s start using globals from
      the other end, the better to stay out of another macro’s way. Since our
      globals are going to stay around as long as WP is running, the other
      guy’s globals will too. So we’ll start with GlobalVar49. Make a new
      macro entitled “Assign Glossary Entries” (no need for a keystroke), and
      put this script in it: Select TableCell Copy Assign
      (GlobalVar49;Clipboard) Close We’ll add to this later, but all we’ll
      need to add are repetitions for more glossary entries, to be contained
      in more globals. page 5 WordPerfect Mac News November 1995 A menu for
      global variables Our next macro will put the globals (the one we have
      now, and more later on a menu. A case command will follow, to send
      macro execution to the proper label. Make another macro, call it
      “Glossary,” and assign it a keystroke you like. Start it off with this
      script: Menu (Var01;"Glossary";{GlobalVar49}) Case
      (Var01;{1;49};cancel) Label (cancel) End Macro Label (49) Type Var
      (GlobalVar49) and let’s look at a few points. First, we’re using a
      local variable, Var01, for the menu and case commands. Why not? We can
      use both local and global variables within one macro. We’ll have no
      need for the contents of Var01 after this macro ends, so a local
      variable is a good place for it. Second, there’s a new command in the
      script above, and an important one: Type Var will put the contents of
      any variable into the active document at the insertion point. Not a bad
      macro command for a word processor to have. Third, we’ve written menus
      with character expressions (i.e. regular text), as in: Menu
      (Var01;"Menu Title";{"Menu Choice 1";"Menu Choice 2"}) where text has
      to be in quotes. The Glossary menu above uses GlobalVar49 as a menu
      choice, and it's not in quotes. If it were, you’d see, literally,
      “GlobalVar49” on the menu – probably not much help. But the contents of
      a variable can be used in place of a character expression, where the
      variable replaces the expression and the quotes marking it as such.
      Think of the variable containing text the same way that quotes contain
      text. The point of doing the menu this way is greatly expanded WYSIWYG.
      This menu won’t say something like “Glossary Entry 1” but will show the
      actual text written to the variable, or as much of it as will fit on
      the menu. Try these macros out: run the Assign macro first, then the
      Glossary macro. You see the potential, with more entries. You also see
      the potential for error, if the user runs Glossary without running
      Assign first. One way around that, for the users who need a glossary
      feature on a regular basis, is to have their OnStartup macro run the
      Assign macro. OnStartup runs whenever you start WP (and OnOpenDocument
      runs whenever you open a document containing it or, if it’s in the
      Library, whenever you open any document), so page 6 WordPerfect Mac
      News November 1995 a line in OnStartup could be: Run ("Assign Glossary
      Entries") which is one way to run one macro from another. But our user,
      bless his little heart, may not want to add that line to OnStartup.
      Well, in any case we can have the Glossary macro check to see if Assign
      has been run – that’s to say, see whether it’s put anything in
      GlobalVar49. Put these lines at the top of Glossary: If
      (GlobalVar49="") Run ("Assign Glossary Entries") End If and the
      structure of things is largely finished. All we need to do now is add
      the code for multiple entries. As you might expect, this will be fairly
      repetitive, as is a lot of code. Copy and Paste are good friends when
      writing a comprehensive script. For the Assign macro, though, we need
      to tell the macro how to go from one glossary entry (that is, one cell
      in the table) to the next. What command would we use? Down ()? Nope. It
      moves the insertion point down a line, which may be in the same cell
      for a multi-line glossary entry. Here’s a good place to click Pause at
      the top of the script editor window, and go back into the program to
      see what it does. Play with a table for a minute and you’ll see that
      Tab is the best keystroke to go from one table cell to the next. As a
      nice touch for the user, you can add a prompt while assigning entries.
      This line, at the top of the Assign macro, would be something like:
      Prompt (75;125;"Glossary";"Reading glossary information . . .") where
      the first and second parameters are the distance in pixels/points from
      the top left of the screen to the top left of the prompt. The third
      parameter is the title, and the fourth is the text. Put an End Prompt
      command at the end of the Assign macro, so as not to leave the prompt
      on screen. You should be able to figure things out from here but, if
      you run into trouble, the complete macro set accompanies this issue of
      the News. page 7 WordPerfect Mac News November 1995 Conceptual point:
      in past columns I’ve talked about recording part of a macro and
      scripting the rest. Here, though, we’ve scripted part of things and
      then gone back to the program not to record but just to see how things
      work. We then take that observation and write our script to fit. Quiz
      time Answer to last month’s quiz: the code to print the current page
      is: Print Options (PhysicalPage;PhysicalPage;1;Document;Every
      Page;Forwa rd;Print Overlay) Print (Document) This month’s quiz: The
      user may have other data in some of these global variables, and may
      have forgotten that. If he or she then calls Glossary and if
      GlobalVar49 is empty, Glossary will run Assign Glossary Entries and
      overwrite anything else in globals 24 through 49. As an alternative,
      rewrite the Assign macro so that if GlobalVar49 is empty, the macro
      posts an Alert saying that the Assign macro needs to be run. * * * John
      Rethorst, author of Teach Yourself WordPerfect, finds macros
      mellifluous, mystical and majestic. page 8 WordPerfect Mac
      News November 1995 Emboss by Daniel Midgley ack by popular demand! Many
      customers have called technical support asking for the Emboss macro. It
      was first published in our July newsletter. This macro will take your
      text and change it into a cool embossed graphic, much like the one
      below. Here’s another example. All you have to do is highlight some
      text, and run the macro. WordPerfect will do the embossing, and then
      display the message below: Click OK, choose Paste from the Edit menu,
      and your embossed text will be placed in your document. The macro does
      not affect your original document until you decide to Paste. Some tips:
      • The embossed graphic looks best when you use larger size fonts (24
      pt. and up). • The bolder the font, the better. (This is what
      typographers call “text color”; the “darker” fonts look better.) page 9
      WordPerfect Mac News November 1995 • Make sure your printer is set to
      “Color/Grayscale” or the equivalent before printing. The embossed
      graphic won’t print out well on a black and white printer. Of course,
      it doesn’t look great on a black and white monitor, either. The idea
      for this macro came from Tips and Tricks mini-magazine by Image Club
      Graphics. Additional assistance came from Macworld’s Macintosh Secrets
      by Pogue and Schorr. Both are excellent resources. Typeface Info by
      Gene Bowley he Typeface Info macro will allow you generate some sample
      text, for a given font, in two forms: 1. A typeface waterfall 2. A
      character map containing all 255 characters. This information can be
      useful if you want to create printed archive of what your fonts look
      like (see waterfall example below). Lucida Bright Font size=1 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI Font size=2 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI Font size=3 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI Font size=4 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI Font size=5 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI Font size=6 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI Font size=7 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI Font size=8 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI Font size=9 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI Font size=10 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI Font size=11 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI Font size=12 Sample
      text:1234567890123 abcdefghi ABCDEFGHI page 10 WordPerfect Mac
      News November 1995 Styles by Hans Rasmussen and Lisa Foster What are
      Styles tyles can quickly apply any formatting to multiple sections of a
      document. You’ll be able to create and format documents much faster and
      maintain consistency. The Document Style is the default style for every
      document. Any font, tab setting, margin, line spacing, etc. you want
      applied to every new document, can be set as a document default through
      the Document Style. To access this style, select the Styles Tool Bar
      and click on the Edit button. You will notice that this provides you a
      listing of all styles that dictate the common features in WordPerfect.
      Feel free to edit and modify any style to fit your custom needs. page
      11 WordPerfect Mac News November 1995 For a styles example, let’s take
      a look at a section heading. Headings or titles are often in a larger
      font size and sometimes bolded to attract attention. Instead of
      selecting the section heading, then choosing a font, choosing a size,
      and finally choosing an attribute (like bold or italic), you can set
      all of these in a single style. Instead of having three separate format
      settings, you can quickly apply a style, and your paragraph is in the
      proper format. To create a new style: • Format your first section
      heading with the correct font, size, and attributes. • Select the
      section heading (or the text that contains the formatting you want in
      the style). • Click Styles on the Tool Bar to display the Styles bar. •
      Click New on the Styles bar. • Give the style a name. For example:
      Section Heading. • If you want this style available for use in any
      document, make sure you Save In Library (USA). If you will only use
      this style when working in your document, Save In the document. • Be
      sure to Preserve Attributes and Formatting. • Click on New to create
      and save the style. page 12 WordPerfect Mac News November 1995 To apply
      a Style • Select the text you want to format. or Place the insertion
      point in the paragraph you want the style to format. • Choose the style
      you want to apply from the Styles pop-up menu on the Styles bar.
      Editing with Styles Styles can save you time and keystrokes. For
      instance, what if your boss looks at your document upon completion, and
      wants you to change all the section headings to center aligned and a
      different font? Instead of tediously paging through the document
      selecting each heading and making changes at a snails pace, styles can
      save the day. Because you formatted all section headings with one
      style, you simply modify the style to include center align and the new
      font. When you close the edited style, all the section headings are
      automatically updated. By applying a style to a paragraph (or
      paragraphs), you have not closed the book on formatting within the
      style-applied area. It is important to note that styles are paragraph
      based. This means the smallest unit a style can effect is a paragraph.
      Once applied, a style will effect the ENTIRE paragraph, not just a
      selected word or phrase. So, when you want to apply different
      formatting to a selected word, phrase, or sentence within the
      style-applied area, the changes you make will over–ride the style
      itself just for that selection. Linking Styles Styles can be linked
      together. For example, let’s say whenever you use your Section Heading
      Style, you automatically want to return to your Document Style. To
      accomplish this, you can link your Heading Style to the Document Style.
      The Enter key is the token link between the two styles. Thus, each time
      you hit the Enter key when in the Heading Style, your Document Style is
      automatically applied. page 13 WordPerfect Mac News November 1995
      (Found in Options on the Styles Bar) Another linking example: You are
      typing a magazine interview in which you want the questions formatted
      one way and the answers formatted another way. You can create one style
      for the questions and another for the answers. You can link the Answer
      Style to the Question Style and viceversa. Again, the Enter key is the
      link that will automatically toggle you between the two Styles.
      Practice Makes Perfect With this overview of styles, it’s time to use
      them. Create, edit, and practice, practice, practice! The more you use
      them, the easier and efficient your work becomes. (Your WordPerfect
      User’s Guide also provides helpful steps when using styles) page 14
      WordPerfect Mac News November 1995 My computer locks while I am working
      on a document that I have not saved. How can I reboot my machine
      without losing my document? Use the keystroke Command-Option-Esc, and
      WordPerfect will prompt a Force Quit. Immediately reopen WordPerfect
      and you will have the option to open backup files. WordPerfect will
      retrieve the last backup of your document before the lockup. With
      WordPerfect 3.5, I try to insert a WordPerfect graphic through HTML and
      the graphics are not recognized. Only GIF and JPEG graphics are
      recognized by HTML. Utilities, such as Gif Converter, are available to
      convert graphics to be used with HTML. I just installed WordPerfect
      3.5, and all my old WordPerfect documents changed icons, even the old
      2.1 documents. Does that mean they’ve been automatically converted into
      WordPerfect 3.x format? No. You still need to convert them. The icons
      only change because of the new application. I have created a document
      that contains graphic lines. I can see the lines on the document screen
      and in Print Preview, but they don’t print. What you see in Print
      Preview is the information WordPerfect sends to your printer. If your
      printed document does not reflect what you see in Print Preview, the
      problem usually rests with your printer. In case of a memory issue, you
      can try allotting more Preferred memory (if available) to WordPerfect
      at the Finder|Get Info screen. But, the most common fix is to update
      your print driver to the most current version. Contact the printer
      company (I.E. Apple, HP) to request your updated print driver. page 15
      WordPerfect Mac News November 1995 We welcome your comments,
      suggestions, letters, etc. • What did you like about the WordPerfect
      Mac News? • How was the layout? (Easy to find things, not too
      cluttered, graphics helpful?) • What would you change about the
      WordPerfect Mac News? • What features would you like to see highlighted
      in a future issue? • Which do you use? o Mac o DOS o Windows o UNIX o
      Other • Do you read this magazine on the screen, or do you print it? o
      Read on screen o Print it out • Where did you find the WordPerfect Mac
      News? • On the Macintosh, would you describe yourself as… o A
      beginner o A fairly proficient user o A power user • On WordPerfect,
      would you describe yourself as… o A beginner o A fairly proficient
      user o A power user You can reach us by e-mail at macmail @
      wordperfect.com, by fax at (801) 222-6980, or “snail mail” to WP Mac
      News, MS ORM G1512, WordPerfect/Novell Applications Group, 1555 N.
      Technology Way, Orem UT 84057-2399. Send your letters, requests, ideas
      for features, and tips & tricks to us! We reserve the right to edit any
      material received for content, clarity, and length. By submitting
      material to the WordPerfect Mac News, you agree to assign any and all
      rights, title, and interest which you may have to your submission
      material and any work Novell Inc. derives from such submission material
      to Novell Inc., unless otherwise specified. The WordPerfect Mac News
      was created using WordPerfect 3.1 for Macintosh. The headings and the
      link buttons were created using ColorIt!™ 2.3 by MicroFrontier, Inc.
      Then the whole thing was printed to WordPerfect Envoy. WordPerfect 3.1,
      Document Experts, and WordPerfect Envoy are trademarks of Novell, Inc.
      ColorIt!™ is a trademark of MicroFrontier Inc. Apple and Macintosh are
      registered trademarks of Apple Computers Inc. NOTICE PLEASE R EAD: You
      accept this information with the understanding that Novell, Inc. makes
      no representations or warranties as to the suitability of this
      information for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use
      or implement this information in your own setting, you do so at your
      own risk. In no event will Novell, Inc. be liable for any damages,
      whether consequential, incidental, or special, arising out of the use
      of or inability to use the information provided herewith. Copyright
      Novell Incorporated © , 1995. All rights reserved. If you do print out
      the WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle it. page 16