WP Mac News 95/09

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      September 1995 Issue 9 Click on one. spent most of the night finishing
      this issue. Ordinarily, I’d be tired Credits Editing and Layout— Daniel
      Midgley Web Weaver— Edward “Bam” Lopez Linkage— Cliff Nielsen Error
      Extermination— Lisa Foster Moral Support— Hans Rasmussen, Don Fowles,
      Carla Merrill, Tyler Thompson, Brian Rasmussen, Steve LeMmon, David
      Sessions, Gene Bowley, Ken Freeman New Authority Figure— Bryan
      Whittaker Occasional Amusement— Todd “Ruprecht” Foster now, but I’m
      using a new utility from Connectix: SleepDoubler. This copy of the WP
      Mac News is a special one for me, because it’s my last. I’m leaving the
      good people at WordPerfect and going back to school. I still plan to
      contribute articles to the News now and again, but I’m handing on the
      editorship of the News to the competent and eager hands of Lisa and
      Cliff. I’m going to miss watching each issue take shape, assembling the
      articles, hacking out layout, reading the Mail from our erudite
      readership. I’m getting verklempt! Okay, I’m fine now. My thanks to
      those who have helped get the News started, including Dave Nielsen,
      Dave Moulton, the entire Mac Team, Heather Boyer, and all the readers
      who told us they were glad that the News exists. Oh, and if you like my
      writing, offer me a job. I do documentation. Thanks, and adios. —Daniel
      The WordPerfect Mac News is published monthly. Find us at: •
      ftp.wordperfect.com • BBS (801) 225-4414 • CompuServe: Go wordperfect
      and check the Mac Software Library. • AOL: Keyword wordperfect in the
      Help and Info Files section of the Software Library. • WWW :
      http://www.novell.com:80/ServSupp/mac/macnews/i ndex.htm page 1
      WordPerfect Mac News September 1995 You can reach us by e-mail at
      macmail@..., or by fax at (801) 222-6980. We welcome your
      comments, feedback, tips & tricks, and questions. Due to the sheer
      volume of mail we receive, you may not get a personal reply. If you
      need support for a WordPerfect product, use the support number in your
      User’s Guide. Who ever wrote the copy for your ad with the lead lines:
      “Used to wear bell bottoms. Used to play the tuba. Used to use
      Microsoft Word.” has not run this ad up enough flag polls before it was
      released. My thoughts: 1. There are quite a few hundred thousand people
      who have or are still wearing bell bottoms in the US Navy, and they are
      the most computer-based branch of the armed forces. 2. There are a
      whole lot of tuba players who are active computer users as well. I am
      not only a computer user who plays the tuba on a professional level, I
      also have designed quite a few computers, test equipment and
      peripherals over the last 20 years, using CAD and CAM systems. 3. While
      I have not used the latest Microsoft Word, I have used earlier versions
      on my Mac for the last 6 years, and have not found a better word
      processor yet. So, your ad has lost my possible interest by your poor
      choice of “what is (not) hip.” I think you will be hearing from other
      (ex)-Navy, tuba playing computer users in the next few weeks. —David M.
      Richoux —We have heard from a few of our tuba-playing readers, and I
      understand how tuba players may feel attacked, especially when tuba
      playing is linked with (shudder) bell-bottoms. I haven’t talked to the
      ad agency on this one, but I get the feeling that this was not an
      attempt to make a “List of Things Uncool.” This is a list of things in
      this man’s PAST, including (fortunately for him) Word. I apologize to
      all tuba players for any insult, even unintentional. (Same goes for any
      Comet-driving mood ring wearers we may have offended by the other ad.)
      For the sake of perspective though, I should mention that lawyers are
      expected to endure this sort of abuse every day of their miserable
      lives. page 2 WordPerfect Mac News September 1995 Help - my new
      PowerMac 9500, crashes very frequently with WordPerfect 3.1, error 11.
      I have reinstalled, started without extensions etc. It keeps on
      crashing. Any suggestions, or do I have to wait for 3.5? —Jesper
      Laustsen —When Apple came out with the 7.5.1 update, almost all the
      problems with Error Type 11’s on PowerMacs magically disappeared. So
      make sure you’re using System 7.5 with an updater. Any problems after
      that, talk to us here. I was teaching Intermediate WP to a student, and
      we were going over merges. We had just finished making the data and
      form files, and merging the two together. Then we used the same data
      file to merge labels, and the student told me that the data file we
      were using “wouldn’t do, and she’d have to make a new one,” because her
      job demanded mailing labels be in ALL CAPS. Rather than doing that, we
      did the merge with the existing data file anyway. Then I had her pull
      down Edit to Select All, then Style to Uppercase. Well, she just about
      jumped up and gave me a kiss, she thought that was so wonderful. —Mike
      Madsen Is there an e-mail address for technical support for Word
      Perfect for the Macintosh? —Robert Slavey —Yes, wptech@... Be
      sure to include a valid serial number or PIN when you mail. Much has
      been said about the arrival of WordPerfect 3.5. But it is now 19 August
      and no one has yet seen it. Can you please tell me when it will be
      available in the UK and at what price. Please give me the prices for
      both the full version and upgrade from 3.1.—Brendan Martin —Right now
      we only have information for the US and Canadian release. We're
      expecting WordPerfect 3.5 to ship in early-to-mid September. The full
      price is $189, and the upgrade price is $89. We’ll keep you posted on
      the UK release and others. I was reading the magazine NetGuide and saw
      a WP ad for a WP Internet add-on. However, the ad only mentioned
      Windows. Is there a Mac version available or soon to be available? My
      new job will include WWW duties and a WP HTML editor would be a
      godsend. —Brent Heustess —Yup, check the Extra Edition of the WP Mac
      News for more info. The Web URL is
      http://netwire.novell.com/ServSupp/mac/macnews/jul_95ex/index.htm and
      the ftp address is
      ftp.wordperfect.com/pub/wpapps/mac/mac_news/jul_95ex.hqx page 3
      WordPerfect Mac News September 1995 Drop Shadow When you want a piece
      of text to really stand out, don’t just type it. Instead, create it as
      an object in WordPerfect’s Graphic Layer. Then duplicate the object,
      make the copy a lighter gray (using Style/Text Color) , and place it in
      back, to the lower right (as you see in this figure). It’s a good way
      to give a 3-D look to your text. Typeover Do you like Typeover? This
      hold-over from the DOS world has wormed its way into the hearts of at
      least a couple of Mac users. Here’s how to make it a part of your
      everyday life, if you must. Go to Edit/Preferences/Keyboard, highlight
      Typeover in the list of commands, and click the Assign button in the
      upper right. You’ll get a dialog asking you what keystroke to assign.
      Press the keystroke you want (how about Shift-Help?) and click Assign.
      Then click Done to leave the Keyboard dialog. Once you turn Typeover
      on, it will stay on until you turn it off again with the same
      keystroke. Let’s Talk Character Styles Usually, a style applies itself
      to a whole paragraph at a time. But from time to time, you may want to
      create a style that applies itself only to some characters within a
      paragraph. It’s not very well-known, but this ability exists in
      WordPerfect 3.1 and later. It used to be that you’d go to
      Edit/Preferences/Environment, and choose Character from the Format
      menu. Now that menu item has been removed. But—the big secret—the
      equivalent macro token still exists! So create and run the following
      one-line macro: Formatting (Character) That’s it. You’re now set up for
      Character Styles, and you can highlight a few charcters and assign a
      style to them. If you ever want to set it back to Paragraph, go to
      Edit/Preferences/ Environment and choose “Paragraph” from the Format
      menu. A word of caution: There may have been some very good reasons why
      the Character formatting option was removed from the Format menu. Be
      aware of this, and act accordingly. (But it works great for us.) Append
      to Clipboard Usually, the Clipboard can only hold one thing at a time.
      When you Cut or Copy something new, out goes the old. But if you
      highlight some text and press (Command–Shift-A), you add the new stuff
      to the old stuff. Paste, and it all shows up. page 4 WordPerfect Mac
      News September 1995 Mastering Macros by John Rethorst Menus o far,
      we’ve written and implemented basic commands that are fairly linear:
      press a keystroke, get an action. Let’s take a big jump up from this,
      and write a macro or two that gives the user a choice, expressed on a
      menu. Basic Menus To show or hide white space (margins, space for
      headers, footnotes etc.) more easily than going to Environment in
      Preferences, try these two one liners: White Space (Show) and White
      Space (Hide) or, rather than have two separate macros (or 20, for
      another purpose), we can give the user a menu with all the options in
      one place: Menu (Var01;"White Space";{"Show";"Hide"}) If (Var01=1)
      White Space (Show) Else White Space (Hide) End If which does the
      following: 1. The Menu command has a variable as its first parameter: a
      number representing the user’s choice (e.g. 1 for Show; 2 for Hide)
      will go into Var01. 2. “White Space” is the title of the menu. 3. The
      words within the curly brackets form a list; in this case, they’ll be
      the items on the menu. 4. The following If statement uses the value of
      the variable assigned in the Menu command. If the user selected the
      first item on the list, Var01 would have the value 1. If the user had
      selected the second item, Var01 would have the value 2. But, since
      there are only two choices on the menu, we used an if/else structure as
      the simplest way to do it. page 5 WordPerfect Mac News September 1995
      Cases and Labels If we have more than two menu choices, we could do
      more if/else statements or, more conveniently, tell WP that in case
      Var01 is 1, do this, and in case Var01 is 2, do that, and in case Var01
      is 3, do the other thing. For example, you can set formatting (in
      Environment in Preferences) to either Paragraph or Single Paragraph,
      nice options for flexibility, but you have to go into Preferences to do
      it. If you remember WP 1.x or 2.0.x, you know another formatting
      option, Character (my favorite much of the time). The difference is:
      say you have your insertion point in the middle of a single-spaced
      paragraph, and you choose double spacing from the Layout Bar. With
      Paragraph formatting, all lines in the current paragraph and all
      succeeding paragraphs (until a style takes effect) become
      double-spaced. With Single Paragraph, only the paragraph containing the
      insertion point is affected. With Character, only the text following
      the insertion point is affected. Ready availability of all three
      significantly increases power in formatting. This macro uses the
      Formatting command with the parameters Character, Paragraph and Single
      Paragraph. It posts a menu to assign a value to a variable (Var01),
      which will be 1, 2 or 3 depending on the user’s choice from the menu
      list. The Case command then looks at Var01 and assigns a Label
      according to its value. Macro execution then goes to that label.
      (Remember, we learned about labels last month, using the Go command to
      send macro execution to one label. This is just a little more slick,
      having the macro branch to one label or another, depending on the value
      of a variable.) The list in curly brackets in the Case command are the
      labels corresponding to the values of Var01. The Cancel label following
      the curly brackets is the default label, to which the macro will go if
      the user clicks the close box in the menu (that is, doesn’t put
      anything in Var01). The End Macro command following each label and its
      associated command keeps the macro from going on to read and execute
      subsequent lines, thus resetting the formatting. This command isn’t
      needed at the end of a script since a macro ends naturally when it runs
      out of code. Menu (Var01;Set Format
      to:";{"Character";"Paragraph";"Single Paragraph"}) Case
      (Var01;{1;Character;2;Paragraph;3;Single Paragraph};cancel) Label
      (cancel) End Macro Label (Character) Formatting (Character) End Macro
      Label (Paragraph) Formatting (Paragraph) End Macro Label (Single
      Paragraph) Formatting (Single Paragraph) page 6 WordPerfect Mac
      News September 1995 For an added touch of elegance, let’s tell the user
      what the current setting is, using the read-only variable
      FormatOrientation, which holds the value 0, 1 or 2 depending on the
      parameter. Add these lines to the beginning of the macro, so that the
      last line here replaces the menu command: If (FormatOrientation=0)
      Assign (Var02;"Character") End If If (FormatOrientation=1) Assign
      (Var02;"Paragraph") End If If (FormatOrientation=2) Assign
      (Var02;"Single Paragraph") End If Menu (Var01;"Format now: "$Var02$".
      Set to:";{"Character";"Paragraph";"Single Paragraph"}) and enjoy much
      more flexible formatting. Call Use of menus invites sophistication in
      flow commands. The user’s choice sends macro execution to one of
      several different labels, which is fine as long as all those labels do
      different things. Sometimes, though, they contain some identical steps.
      Rather than repeat those in each label, it’s easier to refer execution
      to another part of the script, run the commands there, and then return.
      Here’s a quasi-macro example: Menu (Var01; "First Day of
      Vacation";{"Sleep All Day";"Go Fishing";"Play Golf"}) Case
      (Var01;{1;sleep;2;fish;3;golf};cancel) Label (cancel) End Macro
      ;===================================== Label (sleep) Sleep End Macro
      ;===================================== Label (fish) Get Up Wash Brush
      Teeth Get Dressed Eat Breakfast Put Fishing Rod in Car page 7
      WordPerfect Mac News September 1995 and so on, and you can see that the
      next label, “golf,” will include the same commands between “Get Up” and
      “Eat Breakfast,” inclusive. In a real macro, that could be many lines
      of code, repeated for a dozen menu choices. A shortcut is to use the
      Call command, which will send execution to a specified label and
      continue until a Return command is encountered. Execution then returns
      to the line immediately after the Call command. So part of our vacation
      macro would look like: Label (fish) Call (firstthing) Put Fishing Rod
      in Car ;===================================== ;and so on
      ;===================================== Label (firstthing) Get Up Wash
      Brush Teeth Get Dressed Eat Breakfast Return with the “firstthing”
      label somewhere out of the way, perhaps at the end of the script.
      Execution now, assuming the user’s going fishing, goes to the label
      “fish” and then to the label “firstthing.” Upon seeing “Return,” the
      macro goes back to the line right under the Call command, which is “Put
      Fishing Rod in Car.” Note that the Return command is not anything like
      Hard Return, which moves the insertion point down one line in the
      document. Here’s a real example: Menu (Var01;"Type and
      Format";{"Alpha";"Beta";"Charlie"}) Case
      (Var01;{1;alpha;2;beta;3;charlie};cancel)
      ;========================================= Label (cancel) End Macro
      ;========================================= Label (alpha) Call (format)
      Type (Alpha) End Macro ;========================================= Label
      (beta) Call (format) Type (Beta) End Macro (continued) page 8
      WordPerfect Mac News September 1995
      ;========================================= Label (charlie) Call
      (format) Type (Charlie) End Macro
      ;========================================= Label (format) Font Name
      ("Palatino") Font Size (72) Attribute (On;Italics) Attribute (On;Bold)
      Return Here’s those quizzes again Answer to the quiz last month: just
      replace the line Print (Document) with, for example: Select All Font
      Name ("Palatino") Quiz for this month: see if you can rewrite the menu
      macro that shows or hides white space, using case and labels. * * *
      John Rethorst, author of Teach Yourself WordPerfect, sees in a macro
      script what many see in a sonnet. The contents of this article are
      copyright © 1995 John Rethorst. All rights reserved. Used with
      permission. page 9 WordPerfect Mac News September 1995 QuickFormat by
      Michael Madsen he QuickFormat macro emulates the QuickFormat feature
      found in WordPerfect 6.1 or the Format Painter found in Microsoft Word
      6.0. It allows the user to quickly copy text formatting from one place
      to other places in the document in just one click. To use the
      QuickFormat Macro: • Place the cursor within text that contains the
      text formatting you wish to copy. Selecting text is not necessary, but
      it will still work. • Run the QuickFormat Macro. A dialog will
      indicate… • Click or Select the words or phrases to copy the text
      formatting to. Click or select as much text as necessary. • When
      finished, press Command-Period to turn QuickFormat off. [Mike was once
      one of our fellow WordPerfect gurus, and my macro mentor. He can
      program any macro I can, using half as many lines. —Ed.] Random Color a
      very silly macro by Daniel Midgley Ever get tired of that boring old
      blah screen? Want to spice up your palette? Then take a spin on the
      color wheel of chance! When you run the Random Color macro, there’s no
      telling what colors you’ll end up with. (Is that a good thing? You be
      the judge.) Just run the macro, and you’ll see this menu: If you choose
      A, you might just get some colors you like. Actually, it’s more likely
      that you’ll wind up with some horrible colors. There’s just no telling.
      But if your screen does look awful, you can always try choosing A
      again, or choose B to put the colors back the way they were when you
      launched WordPerfect. The macros described in this section are
      contained in a WordPerfect file called “September Macros Read Me.” It
      was included when you downloaded the WordPerfect Mac News. The file
      also contains instructions for moving these macros to your Library, as
      well as more detailed help and instructions for use. page 10
      WordPerfect Mac News September 1995 Merge by Daniel Midgley The Basics
      merge (sometimes called a mail merge) is what you use when you need to
      send a form letter to a bunch of people, and you want to personalize
      the letters by placing each person’s name and other relevant
      information into each copy. WordPerfect’s Merge feature allows you to
      accomplish this, and this article will help you get started. What You
      Will Need In order to merge, you will need: • A data file. This is your
      list of everyone’s names, addresses, and so on. You need to format your
      list of names a certain way in order for the merge to work. • A form
      file. This is the form letter you’re sending to everyone. It also needs
      certain things for the merge to work. • Eventually you’ll also need a
      third, untitled document to merge the form file and the data file into,
      but we’ll deal with that in a minute. Here’s a sample DATA file. Each
      person’s information is considered a separate record. The chunks of
      information within a record are called fields. This data file has three
      fields. Yours can have as many fields as you want, with any information
      you want to include. The names come first here, so they’ll be known as
      Field 1. The next field will be called Field 2, and so on. Notice that
      every field has an <End of Field> command after it, and every record
      has an <End of Record> command after it. You can place these in your
      data file by clicking on the and buttons on the Merge Bar. Also
      notice that the last field in each record should have an <End of Field>
      code, even though it has that <End of Record> right after it. There are
      no empty spaces between records. There’s also no formatting (fonts,
      sizes, etc.) in this data file. A field can be more than one line long,
      like the addresses in this example. page 11 WordPerfect Mac
      News September 1995 Now here’s a sample FORM file. Notice how there’s a
      <Field> command wherever a piece of information is going to be plugged
      in. You get these by clicking on the button on your Merge Bar, and
      typing the appropriate number. The <Date> command will plug in the
      current date when you run the merge. You can use fields over and over
      again. If you wanted, you could put <Field:1> into your form file
      twenty times, or not at all. The Merge Now that you’ve got your data
      and form files created, save them both and close them. (A hint: I have
      found it helpful to include the words “data” and “form” somewhere in
      the names of the respective files when I save them. That way, I can
      keep them straight.) Open a new untitled document. Open the Merge Bar,
      and click on the button. First, WordPerfect will bring up a dialog
      box asking you for the FORM file. Find it within this box, and click
      Merge. Then WordPerfect will ask you for the DATA file. Find it, and
      click Merge. When the merge is done, the information from the data file
      will be plugged into the appropriate spots in the form file, within
      this new document. Now you can save this merged file, or print it.
      Define Names Instead of having to call your fields <Field:1> or
      <Field:2>, you can give them names. Here’s how it’s done. This DATA
      file has been modified for field names. It needs to have a <Define
      Names> command added at the top. You’ll find it under the menu on
      your Merge Bar. On the same line as the <Define Names> command, type
      the name you’d like to give to the first field. Press Return. Do NOT
      put an <End of Field> command. Type the name of the next field on the
      next line, and so on for the rest of the fields. Then, put an <End of
      Record> command on its own line. Save it and close it. Your data file
      now has names defined for its fields. To refer to these field names in
      the FORM file, click the button on your Merge Bar, then type in the
      name of the desired field in the Field Name box. page 12 WordPerfect
      Mac News September 1995 Or, click on the Get Field Names button, choose
      the data file, and pull down the Field Name box to get the name, as
      seen at right. Other Methods Of Creating a Data File What if your data
      is already in a database program like FileMaker Pro, and you don’t want
      to have to type it all out again in merge format? No problem.
      WordPerfect version 3.1 and later can use database exports as data
      files. You’ll need to export a copy of your database as a tab-delimited
      or a comma-delimited file. (Check the documentation for your database
      program if you’re not sure how to do this.) Then, when you merge and
      WordPerfect asks for the data file, just select the exported copy. The
      files will merge as usual. If you’re starting from scratch, there’s no
      easier way of creating a data file than with a table. Create a table,
      with one column for each field. Each row will be a separate record.
      Keyboard Fun The <Keyboard> command will allow you to type in data as
      you’re merging. It’s even possible to do a merge without a data file,
      using <Keyboard>. You put the <Keyboard> command in your form file by
      clicking the button. When a merge finds a <Keyboard> command, the
      merge will stop and wait for you to type whatever you like. To make the
      merge continue, press F12, or click the button on the Merge Bar.
      Frequently Asked Questions about Merging Is there a way to print my
      data file without the <End of Field> or <End of Record> codes showing?
      Yes. Click the button on your Merge Bar. The codes will change to
      tiny symbols ( ). They do not print. I just did a merge to create form
      letters, but now how do I do labels for all these people? First, run
      the Labels macro (Tools/Macro/Labels) to create a form file for your
      style of labels. Then merge this labels form file with the same data
      file you used to create the original form letters. page 13 WordPerfect
      Mac News September 1995 I clicked on a graphic, went to
      Tools/Graphics/Options, and deselected “Wrap Text Around Box.” Now the
      graphic is behind the text, and I can’t select it again. How can I edit
      the graphic now? Just Command-Click on the place where the graphic was.
      You’ll see the frame around the graphic, and then you can edit it, move
      it, turn “Wrap Text Around Box” back on, or whatever else. I have been
      trying to use the Borders that came with the WP Extras disk in new
      documents I create, and can't figure out how to resize them to fit my
      documents correctly. What am I doing wrong?—Lise R. Zawlocki Go into
      the Watermark layer (Tools/Watermark/New), then choose Insert File from
      the File menu. Insert a graphic you’d like to use. Then resize the
      graphic (as seen at left), and close the Graphic Editor. The border you
      selected will now be in a layer underneath your text, and it will
      repeat itself on every page. Sometimes when I print, I get this
      message. How can I stop it from coming up? Usually, this means that
      WordPerfect and the System are taking up all of the Mac’s memory, and
      there’s not enough left over for the printer to do its thing. You
      should DECREASE the amount of memory WordPerfect is using. To do this,
      first quit WordPerfect. Click once on the WordPerfect application icon,
      and then choose Get Info… from the File menu. You’ll see an info box
      like the one at left. Type a lower number in the “Preferred size” box.
      Start by making it 200K lower than the existing number, and try
      printing from there. Repeat, if necessary. page 14 WordPerfect Mac
      News September 1995 We welcome your comments, suggestions, letters,
      etc. • What did you like about the WordPerfect Mac News? • How was the
      layout? (Easy to find things, not too cluttered, graphics helpful?)
      • What would you change about the WordPerfect Mac News? • What features
      would you like to see highlighted in a future issue? • Which do you
      use? o Mac o DOS o Windows o UNIX o Other • Do you read this magazine
      on the screen, or do you print it? o Read on screen o Print it out •
      Where did you find the WordPerfect Mac News? • On the Macintosh, would
      you describe yourself as… o A beginner o A fairly proficient user o A
      power user • On WordPerfect, would you describe yourself as… o A
      beginner o A fairly proficient user o A power user You can reach us by
      e-mail at macmail @ wordperfect.com, by fax at (801) 222-6980, or
      “snail mail” to WP Mac News, MS ORM G-1512, WordPerfect/Novell
      Applications Group, 1555 N. Technology Way, Orem UT 84057-2399. Send
      your letters, requests, ideas for features, and tips & tricks to us! We
      reserve the right to edit any material received for content, clarity,
      and length. By submitting material to the WordPerfect Mac News, you
      agree to assign any and all rights, title, and interest which you may
      have to your submission material and any work Novell Inc. derives from
      such submission material to Novell Inc., unless otherwise specified.
      The WordPerfect Mac News was created using WordPerfect 3.1 for
      Macintosh. The headings and the link buttons were created using
      ColorIt!™ 2.3 by MicroFrontier, Inc. Then the whole thing was printed
      to WordPerfect Envoy. WordPerfect 3.1, Document Experts, and
      WordPerfect Envoy are trademarks of Novell, Inc. ColorIt!™ is a
      trademark of MicroFrontier Inc. Apple and Macintosh are registered
      trademarks of Apple Computers Inc. NOTICE P LEASE R EAD: You accept
      this information with the understanding that Novell, Inc. makes no
      representations or warranties as to the suitability of this information
      for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use or
      implement this information in your own setting, you do so at your own
      risk. In no event will Novell, Inc. be liable for any damages, whether
      consequential, incidental, or special, arising out of the use of or
      inability to use the information provided herewith. Copyright Novell
      Incorporated © , 1995. All rights reserved. If you do print out the
      WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle it. page 15