WP Mac News 95/07

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      July 1995 Issue 7 Click on one. Notes from my messy desk… Credits
      Editing & Layout Daniel Midgley WWW Adaptation David Moulton HyperText
      Linkage Cliff Nielsen Team Zero Error Lisa Foster, Carla Merrill, Don
      Fowles, Edward “Bam” Lopez Authority Figure Dave Nielsen Moral Support
      Hans Rasmussen, Tyler Thompson, Brian Rasmussen, Steve LeMmon, David
      Sessions, Gene Bowley, Ken Freeman • We’re sporting a new summer
      layout. Hope you like it. Even if you don’t, write us at
      macmail@... and let us know. • Edgy mobs have gathered
      outside WP headquarters, asking polite but pointed questions about the
      next WordPerfect release and what new features it will have. Don’t
      worry, a press release on the next version is forthcoming. It’s not in
      this issue, however. When it breaks, we’ll be there to let you know
      what’s going on. Keep watching. • One more time: Our WWW address has
      changed. It is now
      http://www.novell.com:80/ServSupp/mac/macnews/index.htm Please change
      your pointers accordingly. Okay, if you’re reading this, you’ve found
      us one way or another, but I thought I’d mention it. • Thanks for your
      letters and feedback. Keep them pouring in. -- Daniel The WordPerfect
      Mac News is published monthly. Find us at: • ftp.wordperfect.com • BBS
      (801) 225-4414 • CompuServe: Go wordperfect and check the Mac Software
      Library. • AOL: Keyword wordperfect in the Help and Info Files section
      of the Software Library. • WWW :
      http://www.novell.com:80/ServSupp/mac/macnews/i ndex.htm Also look for
      us on info-mac, u-mich, stanford, and more places all the time! page 1
      WordPerfect Mac News July 1995 You can reach us by e-mail at
      macmail@..., or by fax at (801) 222-6980. We welcome your
      comments, feedback, tips & tricks, and questions. Due to the sheer
      volume of mail we receive, you may not get a personal reply. If you
      need support for a WordPerfect product, use the support number in your
      User's Guide. • Hello, I just saw your WordPerfect Mac News for June
      ‘95. I really enjoyed what I saw and could read. Where can I find Envoy
      Viewer? I looked for it in the WordPerfect Mac files on CIS and
      couldn’t find it. -- Dian Cuendet-Lewis We used to send the news as a
      stand-alone application, but that made the document rather large. Now
      there’s the Envoy Viewer, which you’ll need to view the News. Get it
      from ftp.wordperfect.com in the folder /pub/wpapps/mac/envoy. The file
      name is edvmac.hqx. And now that the News is in Envoy format, the files
      are tiny. For Envoy info and ordering, call (800) 321-4566. • Last
      month we mentioned that straight quotes (' & ") are best to use when
      you’re referring to feet and inches, where smart quotes (‘ & ”) would
      be incorrect. Paul Schreiber responds: Actually, real feet and inch
      marks (prime marks) are Option-4 and Option-comma in the Symbol font.
      That’s true, and they look very good. If you’re striving for that extra
      dash of authenticity, and you don’t mind the extra step, use ‘em. Keep
      in mind, however, that the Symbol font is larger than most fonts, so
      using it tends to tweak out the line height. • I realize it’s too late
      to submit a trick for the contest from the May WP Mac News (from the
      zoomed text on Page 12), but, having just found a trick I can't find in
      the WP 3.1 manual, or in the online help, I figured why not share it.
      If you double click a word (i.e., select it), hitting Command-G will
      find the next selection of that word. This is probably printed
      somewhere, but what the heck. -- Scott Rothstein • Every so often I’ll
      be editing some text, and 1 / 2 of the screen display disappears. I am
      usually able to repaint the screen by hitting the up scroll bar. -- Ken
      Sutin Here’s a time-honored tip that has helped this problem. Go into
      System Folder/Preferences/WordPerfect, and trash the Preferences (USA)
      file. Sometimes this file gets damaged. When you re-launch WordPerfect,
      a new one will be created. This should alleviate the redraw problem. •
      I have WordPerfect Works running on my old PowerBook 100. It is the
      ideal full-feature wordprocessor (+drawing etc.) for this (and other)
      low spec. machines. Are there any plans to update WordPerfect Works?
      Also, I use Microsoft Word on my Mac at work; is there a
      side-grade-to-WordPerfect 3.1 option available? -- Andy Sheppard No
      news on a new WP Works version yet, but you can get a competitive
      upgrade to WordPerfect from any word processing program for a mere $99.
      Call us at (800) 228-2875 for orders or info. page 2 WordPerfect Mac
      News July 1995 Using Paragraph Numbering I like WordPerfect’s Outlining
      feature, but I don’t always like having a new number appear
      automatically every time I press Return. So I was pleased to find out
      that you can use Paragraph Numbering without having to turn the
      Outlining feature on. Just write a macro that goes: Set Paragraph Level
      (Automatic) Assign it to a keystroke, or a custom macro button on your
      Button Bar, if you like. Now whenever you run the macro, an automatic
      paragraph number will be placed at the insertion point. The numbers
      will update themselves automatically, and they’ll know to change levels
      if there’s a tab in front, just like in Outlining. This macro is
      especially useful when you want to put automatic numbers before items
      in a list you’ve already created. (See “Using the Macro Editor to
      Create Macros” on page 418 of your WordPerfect 3.1 User’s Guide if you
      need help getting started on this macro.) That Sum Button If you have a
      chunk of a table highlighted (including more than one column and row),
      and you click the Sum Button on the Table/Math Bar, it will add up
      the individual columns (going down). If, however, you hold down the
      Option key and click the Sum button with the same chunk highlighted, it
      will add up the rows (going across). Cropping You probably already know
      that you can click on a graphic and drag the handles to re-size it. But
      if you hold down the Command key (Option key for v.3.0 and earlier)
      while dragging the handles, it does something called Cropping. Here’s
      how it works. Perhaps you have a graphic that’s not fitting right on
      the page. Click on the graphic to make the handles appear, hold down
      the Command key, and drag to make the box smaller or larger. This only
      changes the size of the containing box - not the graphic itself. If you
      Command-drag the graphic itself, it moves the graphic around within the
      box without moving the actual box itself. page 3 WordPerfect Mac
      News July 1995 by John Rethorst No. 6: How to Automate Extensive
      Formatting Now that we’re past the basics, this column will be more
      condensed, just to fit more value in, and go a little faster. Don’t
      worry – I won’t make use of anything I don’t explain at the time or
      haven’t covered in a past issue. Text Formatting Doing a large amount
      of identical formatting is a great job for a macro. Consider a glossary
      or dictionary (or catalog or handbook) where you want each word or
      phrase being defined in bold, and the description in plain text, like
      this. geek: person whose life has been taken over by computers, and who
      can’t think about anything else. hacker: person who’s very productive
      with computers, and who can use them to great advantage. twelve-step
      program: means to achieve freedom from something addictive and
      debilitating, such as computers. One way to do this would be to select
      bold every time you started a new definition, type the word or phrase,
      and then switch back to plain text for the description. Dullsville and
      slow. Another way would be to use a table, put words in one column and
      definitions in the other, and bold the left column with one command.
      That would leave a lot of white space if the definitions were long,
      though. You could then do table to text, after replacing all colons
      with tabs, and then replace tabs with colons again, but this is
      starting to get complicated. Can we just enter the whole thing in plain
      text, and have a macro bold every word or phrase being defined? You
      bet. We need to pursue a little strategy to tell the macro what to do.
      First, let’s say that we used double hard returns to separate
      paragraphs (I know that paragraph spacing is a better way, but fewer
      people use that. It would be just as easy to design a macro for it,
      though). For double hard returns, we’ll tell the macro to search
      forward until it finds the next pair of hard returns. We then want to
      select everything between those hard returns and the next colon, and
      change that selection to bold. Recording the first part To start off,
      begin a macro recording, and call the Find dialog. Set the options to
      Direction/ Forward, Where/Document Only, Match/Text Only, Affect/Case
      and Text Only, Action /Position After. From the Insert Menu, choose
      Hard Return twice. Click Find. It doesn’t matter if you find anything
      at this point. page 4 WordPerfect Mac News July 1995 Switch to the
      macro editor; you should have this script. Find/Change Direction
      (Forward;No Wrap) Find/Change Where ({Current Doc}) Find/Change Match
      (Partial Word;Case Insensitive;Alphabet Insensitive;CharRep
      Insensitive;{Text Only}) Find/Change Action (Position After) Find
      String (“[Hard Return][Hard Return]”) Find Abort When Not Found which
      gets us to the double hard returns, positioning the cursor after them.
      Now, add these lines to the script. Find/Change Action (Extend
      Selection) Find String (“:”) Find Abort When Not Found Attribute
      (On;Bold) Right () to extend the selection to the next colon, use the
      Attribute command to turn Bold on for the selection, and move the
      cursor one character to the right without selection, to deselect the
      text that’s been bolded. Try this on some sample text (possibly the
      sample definitions above, changed to plain text, copied and pasted a
      few times). This works, but it’s rough. It ends with an error message
      when the macro can’t find either double hard returns or a colon. To get
      it to repeat, you’d need to Set Repeat Count (Command-Shift-Clear) to
      at least the number of times you wanted it to repeat, then call Repeat
      Count (Command-Clear), then run the macro. Let’s do better, by putting
      all this code in a repeat loop, and deleting unnecessary lines. First,
      delete both lines that read “Abort when not found” and the last line,
      “Right ().” That last line deselects the bolded text, a nice feature
      for a macro that runs once, since if a macro or other action leaves
      anything selected, the user could inadvertently press another key and
      erase the selection. We don’t want this line in a repeating macro,
      though, since each line of code takes a certain amount of time to run.
      Then, add the line Repeat as the first line, and the line Until
      (FindStatusFlag=0) as the last line. FindStatusFlag is a flag just like
      SelectionFlag, which we learned in the March issue. FindStatusFlag is
      on (or equals 1) if the most recent Find command found something. So
      this macro runs until it runs out of things to find. Give this a try on
      your sample file. You would want to run it at the start of the
      definitions. page 5 WordPerfect Mac News July 1995 Uh-oh. Bugs. Or
      would you? If the macro didn’t start soon enough in the file to find
      double hard returns before the first word being defined, you’d miss
      bolding the word in that first paragraph. No sweat, just put the cursor
      at the top of the file, preceding the paragraph or two of introduction
      (as in this column, above) and run the macro from there. Oops. That’s
      much worse. What happened? The macro did just what you told it to do.
      It found the first set of double hard returns (which, in this column,
      separate the two introductory paragraphs). It then found the first
      colon, which comes after “geek,” and selected everything in between.
      Just what we thought we wanted. At this point you, like all other Mac
      programmers, could say that you have something that works well enough,
      as long as you keep its quirks in mind. This is called a “hack.” Or,
      you can fix it and call it “elegant.” Up to you. Being WP users, let’s
      go for elegance. Let’s see. We need to tell the macro to find double
      hard returns, signifying the start of a new paragraph, and then to look
      at that paragraph, to see whether it has a colon in it. If so, we can
      assume it’s a definition. If not, we’ll have the macro move on to the
      next paragraph. It’s true that there may be a colon in an introductory
      paragraph, but unless we use a special symbol between word and
      definition, we don’t have anything else to tell the macro to look for.
      We’ll have the macro end when it can’t find any more double hard
      returns. This is best represented by a flowchart like the one at right.
      Flowcharting is a great way to conceptualize, design and troubleshoot
      macros. As we go along each month, I’ll emphasize this way of thinking
      about the programming process, and you’ll find it helpful to flowchart
      your way through variations on what you see here, and on your own
      ideas. I’ll also start adding comment lines to scripts. These lines
      start with a semicolon, or have a semicolon after the command. Anything
      following the semicolon is ignored by WordPerfect when running the
      macro. They just serve to clarify the code to another user. Thus,
      Assign (Var02;Var02+1);this increments the value of Var02 by 1 has a
      descriptive comment after the command. You can also start a line with a
      semicolon, followed by equals signs, asterisks or whatever, as a
      separator – again, to make it easier to read. page 6 WordPerfect Mac
      News July 1995 Now to the script. It makes two decisions now, both
      based on what it can find. So we’re using FindStatusFlag twice, and
      thus don’t want a repeat loop to continue until FindStatusFlag=0 – it
      may well equal 0 at several points in the macro, but we want the macro
      to keep going. So we’ll add a Go command, which sends macro execution
      to a Label. Big words? Here’s a quasi-macro example: If (Today=Saturday
      or Sunday) Go (Party) Else Go (Work) End If
      ;============================== Label (Party) Drink beer Make merry End
      Macro ;============================== Label (Work) Work hard Make money
      End Macro so the If/Else test in the first five lines sends macro
      execution to either of two parts, Party or Work. The comment lines of
      equal signs just make the script easier to read. In our actual script,
      below, we’re using one label, “top.” WP goes right by it when starting,
      and proceeds to search for double hard returns, as before. If it
      doesn’t find any (FindStatusFlag=0), the macro ends, resetting the
      Find/Change options to the defaults. Otherwise, it positions the cursor
      after the double returns, and selects that paragraph. Within the
      selection, it then searches for a colon. If it finds one, it extends
      the selection – meaning that the selection now reaches from after the
      double returns to the colon – and it makes that selection bold. If it
      doesn’t find a colon, it moves the cursor left one character to
      deselect the paragraph with the cursor at the start of it, so it will
      be able to see the double returns following that paragraph. Then, with
      the Go command, execution goes back to the top of the script to start
      over. Compare this script with the flowchart above and see how they
      match up. Label (top)
      ;=================================================================
      ;ready to search for the next double hard returns
      ;=================================================================
      Find/Change Direction (Forward;No Wrap) Find/Change Where ({Current
      Doc}) Find/Change Match (Partial Word;Case Insensitive;Alphabet
      Insensitive;CharRep Insensitive;{Text Only}) Find/Change Action
      (Position After) Find String (“[Hard Return][Hard Return]”) Find If
      (FindStatusFlag=0); if there aren’t any more double returns Find/Change
      Reset End Macro End If (continued) page 7 WordPerfect Mac News July
      1995 ;=================================================================
      ;if we find a double hard return
      ;=================================================================
      Select Paragraph Find/Change Direction (Within Selection;No Wrap)
      Find/Change Action (Extend Selection) Find String (“:”) Find If
      (FindStatusFlag=1)
      ;============================================================== ;if we
      find a colon
      ;==============================================================
      Attribute (On;Bold); bold all text between returns and colon Else Left
      () End If Go (top) Then copy and paste this script into your macro
      editor and try it out. Fun! This complexity of design will seem
      difficult at first. Don’t worry. It gets much easier with practice, and
      you’ll find yourself designing macros like this to relax. Meanwhile, go
      through this column again, remember how difficult If (SelectionFlag)
      Beep seemed in March, and realize how much you’re learning! For the
      adventurous reader, you can add an alert to tell the user when there
      are no more hard returns. This isn’t essential, but feedback is part of
      good design and a nice feature of the Mac interface. The alert line
      would be something like Alert (“Your formatting is finished. Go back to
      sleep.”) or whatever variant you’d like to spring on your SO or
      co-worker. Now the quiz. Where do you put it? Hint – figure this out
      using the flowchart. I’ll have the answer next month, so see you then.
      * * * John Rethorst, author of Teach Yourself WordPerfect 3 for the
      Mac, thinks that if anyone ever really explains it all, it will be done
      with macros. The contents of this article are copyright © 1995 John
      Rethorst. All rights reserved. Used with permission. page 8 WordPerfect
      Mac News July 1995 The macros described in this section are contained
      in a WordPerfect file called “July Macros Read Me.” It was included
      when you downloaded the WordPerfect Mac News. The file also contains
      instructions for moving these macros to your Library, as well as more
      detailed help and instructions for use. Emboss by Daniel Midgley This
      macro will take your text and change it into a cool embossed graphic,
      much like the ones on this page. All you have to do is highlight some
      text, and run the macro. WordPerfect will do the embossing, and then
      display the message below: Just choose Paste from the Edit menu, and
      your embossed text will be placed in your document. Some tips: • The
      embossed graphic looks best at larger sizes (24 and up). • The bolder
      the font, the better. Acknowledgements to Tips and Tricks mini-magazine
      by Image Club Graphics, and Macworld’s Macintosh Secrets by Pogue and
      Schorr. White Text/Black Background by Lane Johnson This macro will
      change your regular text to “reverse text” -- white on black. Use it to
      create striking effects. This macro works in text mode and in graphics
      mode. You must first highlight your text, or select the graphic object
      if you’re in the graphics mode. Check the January issue of the WP Mac
      News for a Tip that relates to this macro. Are you a macro-maniac? Have
      you created a macro that you’ve found useful? Or do you have any ideas
      for a macro you’d like to see? We welcome your submissions and ideas.
      Just e-mail to macmail@... (fax & snail-mail addresses are
      on the back page) to get the details. page 9 WordPerfect Mac News July
      1995 Using WordPerfect’s Librarian by David Moulton What’s a Librarian,
      anyway? The librarian is the utility that Wordperfect uses to manage
      macros, styles, keyboards, and button bars. It’s what you use to
      delete, rename, or move any of these items. Using the Librarian To
      access the Librarian, choose Preferences from the Edit menu. Then click
      the Librarian button. You will see the dialog box at left. The first
      item to notice in the figure above is the Resource pop-up menu at the
      upper left of the dialog box. This is where you choose what you want to
      work with. If you pop this menu up, the menu should contain Styles,
      Macros, Character Maps, Keyboards, and Button Bars. For now we’ll focus
      on Macros. Choose Macros from the pop-up menu. You should find that a
      list of macros appears in the left hand window of the dialog. These are
      the macros that are stored in your Library. If you do not find macros
      appearing, consult the document “WordPerfect Read Me” if you have WP
      3.1, or “Macros Read Me” if you have WP 3.0. These documents will
      explain how to get the macros that ship with WordPerfect into the
      Library. They are located in the Documentation folder. page 10
      WordPerfect Mac News July 1995 Moving Items Let’s say you’ve created
      some macros in your Library, and you want to give them to a friend who
      has WordPerfect. You’ll use the Librarian to do that. Let’s see how: 1.
      With the Resource pop-up reading ‘Macros’, highlight a macro in the
      left hand window. You will notice that the Copy button between the
      windows will be pointing to the right. 2. Click the Copy button. The
      macro should appear on the right. You can Shift-click at the beginning
      and end of a series of macros to select them, or Command-click on
      specific macros to select them. 3. When you are done with that, click
      the Done button and close Preferences. 4. Save the document to a floppy
      diskette. When you have the disk at your friend’s Mac, insert it and
      open the file in WordPerfect. We’ll perform the opposite procedure to
      get the macros into the Library of the other Mac. 1. Bring up the
      Librarian dialog (Edit/Preferences/Librarian) 2. Choose Macros from the
      Resource pop-up. 3. Highlight macros on the right, and copy them over
      to the left. This will install these macros into the Library of the
      other Mac. Using Rename Click on the item that you want to rename.
      Click the Rename button. Type in the new name. Click OK. It’s just that
      simple. Deleting Items Let’s say you created a set of macros or styles
      that you don’t use anymore, and you want to delete them. Just click on
      the item that you want to delete and click the delete button.
      WordPerfect will confirm that you want to do this, and then remove the
      item. I have used macros as an example in this article, because that is
      what most people use the Librarian to manage. You can also use these
      steps for any of the items that appear in the Resource pop-up menu.
      page 11 WordPerfect Mac News July 1995 How do I make characters with
      the diacritical marks in WordPerfect (for example, à, é, î, ñ, ö, and
      so on)? The easiest way is to choose Symbols… from the Insert menu.
      (For version 2.1 or 2.0, choose Character Map from the Font menu.)
      You’ll see a big list of all the characters in that font, and you can
      click on them to insert them in your document. But you may soon find
      that you don’t want to stop typing to bring up the menu. There is a
      faster way. You can use the so-called “Dead Keys.” This consists of
      pressing a keystroke combination, and then typing the letter. For a
      grave accent ( ` ), type option-`, and then type the character. For an
      acute accent ( ´ ), type option-e, and then type the character. For a
      circumflex ( ˆ ), type option-i, and then type the character. For a
      tilde ( ˜ ), type option-n, and then type the character. For an umlaut
      ( ¨ ), type option-u, and then type the character. For a ‘c’ with a
      cedilla ( ç ), type option-c. More information can be found in your
      Macintosh User’s Guide on page 250. I’ve done my page numbers in a
      footer, but now I need to start renumbering my page numbers. How do I
      do this? Even though you’re doing the page numbers through the footer,
      you still need to go to the Page Numbers dialog (Layout/Page Numbers)
      to set the new page number (highlighted here in green). Leave the
      Position at “No Page Numbers,” but change the number and type, if you
      like. Unfortunately I have to deal with Word 6.0 files, which I am
      unable to do since WP 3.1 only provides a filter for up to version 5.1
      of Word. Is there a filter for 6.0 out there and if so, where can I get
      it? -- James Kramer There is such a filter. It’s available from the
      folks at DataViz, as part of their Easy Open package. Call them for
      information. (203) 268-0030. If you don’t want to use the DataViz
      filter, you’ll need to save the Word 6.0 file down to Word 5.1 format
      (or any other format WordPerfect can read). Then open it up from within
      WordPerfect. page 12 WordPerfect Mac News July 1995 We welcome your
      comments, suggestions, letters, etc. • What did you like about the
      WordPerfect Mac News? • What would you change about the WordPerfect Mac
      News? • What features would you like to see highlighted in a future
      issue? • Which do you use? o Mac o DOS o Windows o UNIX o Other •
      Where did you find the WordPerfect Mac News? • Do you use any other
      word processors? Which one(s)? • On the Macintosh, would you describe
      yourself as… o A beginner o A fairly proficient user o A power user
      • On WordPerfect, would you describe yourself as… o A beginner o A
      fairly proficient user o A power user You can reach us by e-mail at
      macmail @ wordperfect.com, by fax at (801) 222-6980, or “snail mail” to
      WP Mac News, MS ORM G-1512, WordPerfect/Novell Applications Group, 1555
      N. Technology Way, Orem UT 84057-2399. Send your letters, requests,
      ideas for features, and tips & tricks to us! We reserve the right to
      edit any material received for content, clarity, and length. By
      submitting material to the WordPerfect Mac News, you agree to assign
      any and all rights, title, and interest which you may have to your
      submission material and any work Novell Inc. derives from such
      submission material to Novell Inc., unless otherwise specified. The
      WordPerfect Mac News was created using WordPerfect 3.1 for Macintosh.
      The headings and the link buttons were created using ColorIt!™ 2.3 by
      MicroFrontier, Inc. Then the whole thing was printed to WordPerfect
      Envoy. WordPerfect 3.1, Document Experts, and WordPerfect Envoy are
      trademarks of Novell, Inc. ColorIt!™ is a trademark of MicroFrontier
      Inc. Apple and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Computers
      Inc. All other trademark names are the property of their respective
      companies. NOTICE P LEASE R EAD: You accept this information with the
      understanding that Novell, Inc. makes no representations or warranties
      as to the suitability of this information for your particular purpose,
      and that to the extent you use or implement this information in your
      own setting, you do so at your own risk. In no event will Novell, Inc.
      be liable for any damages, whether consequential, incidental, or
      special, arising out of the use of or inability to use the information
      provided herewith. Copyright Novell Incorporated © , 1995. All rights
      reserved. If you do print out the WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle
      it. page 13