WP Mac News 95/05

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      May 1995 Issue 5 Editor’s Corner . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . 1 C r e d i t s Editing and Layout Daniel Midgley WebWork David
      Moulton Contributor Brian Rasmussen HyperText Linkage Cliff Nielsen
      Steve LeMmon Glitch Control Lisa Foster Raquel Carter Carla Merrill
      Michael McRaney Tyler Thompson Authority Figure Dave Nielsen MacMail .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 Tips and Tricks .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 Mastering Macros . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 Macros of the Month . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . 8 Feature Highlight . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9
      Frequently Asked Questions . . . . . . . 12 Your Turn . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13 Click on a button to go to that
      section. M o r e C r e d i t s Moral Support Hans Rasmussen Don Fowles
      Winnie Miller Edward “Bam” Lopez David Sessions Gene Bowley Ken Freeman
      The WordPerfect Mac News is published monthly. You can get it at
      ftp.wordperfect.com, or on our BBS (801) 225-4414. CompuServe: Go
      wordperfect in the Mac Software Library. America Online: Keyword
      wordperfect in the Help and Info Files section of the Software Library.
      WorldWideWeb:http:// www.novell.com/ServSupp/mac his month, in addition
      to all the usual wonderful stuff you’ll find in these pages, we’ve
      included a little surprise: a hidden contest. Yes, buried somewhere in
      this document is a small test of your ingenuity. (Actually, it’s the
      same contest we ran in the April issue, but not enough people noticed
      it. So we’re running it again, but we’re telling you first so you’ll
      look for it. Don’t worry, we don’t blame you; we know how busy you
      are.) So get out those magnifying glasses and fine-toothed combs, find
      the contest, do what it says, and you may just win some fine
      merchandise from the WordPerfect File Cabinet o’ Fun! Or just browse
      the fascinating contents of the News. You’ll find more Tips and Tricks,
      FAQs, and more macro-enlightenment from WP Mac Guru-at-Large, John
      Rethorst. Happy hunting! —Daniel page 1 WordPerfect Mac News May 1995 n
      your WP Mac News Homepage you provide permission to distribute the
      downloadable version of the WP Mac News. I'm assuming this refers to
      the file. Could we distribute a hardcopy (printed) version? —Johanna
      Frohm Yes, any medium is fine. Distribute the News as promiscuously as
      possible, is what I say. The usual rules work here: don’t change
      anything, don’t charge anyone (except the usual transmission fees as
      they apply). Spread the News far and wide. Keep the faith. • From an
      ex-Word 6.0.1 user, thanks for a much-needed newsletter. The
      WordPerfect macro language is the best I've used and I've used Macs
      since 1984. … Why don't one of you write a book on macros and nothing
      but macros? —James Cowden • Maybe I've just missed something obvious,
      but I cannot figure out how to turn on "select," the way I do with the
      F12 key in my Windows version at my office…. I would like to find a way
      to turn select "on" without using the mouse. —Ray Hannigan There’s no
      “Select On” command (remember, Windows was once DOS, and not having a
      mouse means you needed that kind of command), but check Tip #4 for an
      easy way to select anything you can cursor to. • [The News is] laid out
      well, and looks great. The content is very useful! Plus, I like the
      fact that it treats the Mac audience as a breathing entity, rather than
      an anomalous mutant in a DOS/Windows world. —Bill Dennen • Are there
      any Easter Eggs in WordPerfect? —Michael Schwartz We’re all so dull.
      There’s only one WordPerfect Easter Egg that we know of, and it’s in
      Version 3.0 and 3.0a. Go into the WordPerfect/Documentation folder, and
      open WordPerfect Read Me (you did read it, didn’t you? Of course you
      did; everyone reads Read Me files). Now go to Tools/Macro/Run and
      you’ll see a macro called either “Summertime Lost!” or “Employee
      Appreciation Day” in the list. Running the macro will bring up a list
      of the people who brought you WordPerfect 3. • How can I set the
      numeric keypad to permanently be just regular numbers all the time? I
      invariably type a few numbers from the keypad before I realize that I'm
      not actually getting numbers on screen. —Jeff Crawford For version 3.1,
      go to Edit/Preferences/Environment, and make sure Num Lock is checked
      under the Options menu. For version 3.0a and earlier, press Shift-Esc
      or Shift-Clear. (“Clear” is on the numeric keypad.) That will keep Num
      Lock on until you decide to turn it off again with those same keys. You
      can reach us by e-mail at macmail@..., or by fax at (801)
      222-1990. The mailing address is on the back page. We welcome your
      comments, feedback, tips & tricks, and questions. Please note, however,
      that due to the sheer volume of mail we receive, you may not get a
      personal reply. If you need support for a WordPerfect product, use the
      support number in your User's Guide. page 2 WordPerfect Mac News May
      1995 Select Table What’s the best way to select an entire table (for
      example, converting from Table to Text, and so on)? The absolute best
      way is to use the Select Table command. What? You didn’t know there was
      a Select Table command? Maybe that’s because there’s no way to get to
      it with a menu or a keystroke. You have to assign your own keystroke to
      get it to work. Here’s how. Choose Preferences from the Edit menu.
      Click Keyboard. What you will see now is a list of all the WordPerfect
      commands on the left-hand side. Scroll down until you see the command
      marked Select Table, and highlight it. Now click the Assign button on
      the right. Then WordPerfect will prompt you to choose a keystroke for
      this command. Press the keystroke you’d like, click Assign, and then
      click Done. You can now use the Select Table command by pressing the
      keys you specified. That’s a Mighty Thick Pen When you click on the Pen
      Size button in the Graphics Tool Palette, you get a menu to choose a
      pen size from 1 to 8 pixels. However, by double-clicking on the Pen
      Size button (shown at left), you get a dialog box where you can type in
      the size of the pen you’d like —up to 72 pixels. Floating
      Tables—Without Levitation 2 4 4 4 2 8 Usually, tables span your
      document from margin to margin. But sometimes you just want a small
      table floating in a corner of the page, with the text flowing around
      it, as with the one at right. Simple. Choose Text Box and New from the
      Tools menu, and then create your table within that text box. Later, you
      can click on the table and drag it to wherever it should go. This works
      well for putting a table in footnotes, headers, columned text, or
      anywhere else that the table feature is usually unavailable. Selecting
      Text with Speed and Ease You already know that the Home key moves your
      cursor to the start of the document, the End key moves your cursor to
      the end, Page Up, Page Down, arrow keys, and so on. What you may not
      have realized is that holding down the Shift Key when using any of
      these keys selects text as it goes, instead of just moving the cursor.
      So if you need to select everything from where the insertion point is
      to the end of the document, just press ShiftEnd. Beats clicking and
      dragging through a two hundred page document. Yet Another Reason to
      Read the Read Me Files Trying to remember a macro command, but you
      don’t want to turn to the on-line Macro Help? Just check the
      WordPerfect Read Me file with version 3.1. Appendix C lists all the
      commands and read-only variables, with a brief explanation of what they
      do. (Printing 4-up saves paper.) page 3 WordPerfect Mac News May 1995
      by John Rethorst No. 4: Read-Write Variables n the last two columns, we
      looked at variables that the program sets, according to whether you’ve
      selected text or written a certain number of pages, and all the macro
      can do is read the value of those variables. So, we call these
      read-only variables. We use these a lot in macros, but WordPerfect’s
      power is substantially enhanced by another kind of variable, one which
      a macro can write the value of as well as read it. We call these
      readwrite variables. Here’s an example. Putting a Number in a Variable
      Let’s expand on the flexibility of the “Enough Pages?” macro that we
      wrote last month. It was fine for an assignment of five pages, but you
      know those professors — they change their assignments all the time. So
      we need a macro that will first ask the user how many pages are
      required, then take that value and use it for the If/Else test. Since
      we’re modifying our “Enough Pages?” macro, this is also a good place to
      try the Save As button in the macro window. So… 1. From the Macro menu,
      choose Edit, then choose “Enough Pages?” 2. Click the Save As button,
      and give this new macro a different name. 3. Edit the script so that it
      reads just like this, but note that the first line is a long one; don’t
      press Return until just after you type have?''). It's OK if the text
      wraps to another line as you type the macro at right. Get Integer
      (Var01;1;100;"Number of pages";"How many pages do you need to have?")
      End () If (PhysicalPage>Var01) Alert ("Yay! You're finished.") Else
      Alert ("You gotta keep going.") End If 4. Click the Save button, and
      close the macro window. Let’s see what the syntax means. The first line
      starts with the command Get Integer, which has the macro ask the user
      for an integer. Within the parentheses, the first term, Var01, is just
      that: variable number 1 (read/write now, so it has no proper name—it
      will contain what we assign to it, in this case whatever number the
      user types). The next numbers, 1 and 100 separated by semicolons, are a
      check WordPerfect makes on the range of the integer the user enters. I
      thought that from 1 to 100 was a reasonable range for a college paper,
      but go ahead and make the larger limit 1000 if you want to frighten
      somebody. page 4 WordPerfect Mac News May 1995Mastering Macros,
      continued. The next part of the entry has to be in quotes, and is the
      title of the dialog box that will ask for the integer. The last entry,
      also in quotes, is the text of the dialog box. When you run the macro,
      it will look like figure 1: Figure 1: A dialog box for the user to
      enter an integer, which will be put into a variable. The only other
      difference in this modified macro is the If statement, which tests the
      physical page against Var01, which now contains the required number of
      pages. 5. Run this macro a few times on some appropriate test
      documents, and enjoy your new computer abilities. Test it by entering a
      number outside the 1 to 100 range. A Little Mistake While we’re
      generally doing very well, we let a small error creep in a minute ago.
      Did you see it? Hint: it’s not as bad as the error we discussed last
      month, which told the student with six pages to keep going to reach
      five. In this case, the macro test was accurate when it tested for five
      pages by saying If (PhysicalPage>4), but when we put in Var01 and then
      tested for a value greater than that, we made the student write one
      more page than necessary. To correct that, change the third line to: If
      (PhysicalPage>=Var01) …so that the operator means either greater than
      or equal to. The standard symbol puts the ‘greater than’ part above the
      equals sign, but Mac fonts tend not to be that fancy, so WordPerfect
      has us type the operator as shown. Another Example Let’s script a macro
      that you might find helpful for as long as you use WordPerfect. As you
      know, you can set measurements in the program in inches, points, or
      several other units. Clicking on any unit of measure in a dialog box
      will produce a menu of the others. Default is set in Preferences. page
      5 WordPerfect Mac News May 1995 Mastering Macros, continued. I leave
      the default at inches, since that’s the unit I normally think in for
      margins, indents and so on. But for leading, the distance between two
      lines of text, I’d rather use points, since type sizes themselves are
      measured in points. We can open the line spacing dialog box and, every
      time, open the hidden menu to change units — or how about a macro to
      set leading in points, while we leave inches as the default for
      everything else? The tools we’ll use are: one read-only
      variable—CurrentLeading, one read-write variable— Var01, and three
      commands—Get Integer, Leading and Automatic Leading. I’ll have more to
      say soon about how we find these commands and variables (hint: they’re
      all in the online macro help). A little conceptual mapping first. What
      we want to do is: 1. Get the leading, measured in points, that the user
      wants. 2. Put that value into a variable. 3. Tell the program to set
      the leading to that variable. Remember that the Get Integer command has
      places for lower and upper limits as a check. WordPerfect’s limits on
      leading in points are 1 to 32767, so let’s use those. Start a macro
      recording, name it something like “Leading in Points” and, from the
      Window menu ( ), switch to the macro editor. Type this first line. It’s
      all one line, even if wrapped, so don’t press return until after typing
      to:"): Get Integer (Var01;1;32767;"Set Leading in Points";"Set leading
      to:") which would, just as in the number of pages example above, ask
      the user for a value, and put that value into Var01. We’d then set the
      leading to that value with the line: Leading (Var01) and those two
      lines will do it! Save this script, and check out your new macro. More
      Elegance Since we’re getting to be real scripters now, let’s look at a
      couple of helpful additions. First, let’s tell the user what the
      current leading is by adding the read-only variable “CurrentLeading” to
      the first line. Note the join operator ($) that we learned last month.
      Also, remember to put spaces before the quote mark preceding the
      variable and after the quote mark following the variable, so the dialog
      box will have spaces before and after the value: Get Integer
      (Var01;1;32767;"Set Leading in Points";"Current leading is
      "$CurrentLeading$" point(s). Set to:") which tells the user the current
      leading. Save and close the script, and try the macro now. (Testing a
      macro as you write it isn’t a bad idea. When building a complex script,
      this can save some time.) page 6 WordPerfect Mac News May 1995
      Mastering Macros, continued.For a final touch, let's remember that
      WordPerfect defaults to automatic leading. The value of that depends on
      font and size, so when our text is set to automatic leading, the
      CurrentLeading variable would say 0 points for 9 pt. Geneva, or 3 pts.
      for 36 pt. Geneva, and so on. Let's use an If/Else statement to let the
      user choose either automatic or another value. We could let a value of
      0 equal automatic leading, and our macro would then look like the one
      at right… Get Integer (Var01;0;32767;"Set Leading in Points";"Leading
      is now "$CurrentLeading$" point(s). Enter 0 for automatic leading, or
      set to:") If (Var01=0) Automatic Leading Else Leading (Var01) End If
      …and, since the Get Integer dialog defaults to zero, the user would
      only have to call the dialog and click OK to get automatic leading. And
      there you go. You’re off to a great start to adding commands that you
      want to use, so your word processing, graphics and page layout will be
      faster, easier and more accurate. See you next month. * * * John
      Rethorst, author of Teach Yourself WordPerfect 3 for the Mac, wishes he
      could write a macro that would make coffee in the morning. Copyright ©
      1995 John Rethorst. All rights reserved. Used by permission. And now,
      because we have some extra space, here’s an… that we call “Menu
      Dividers.” Here’s a macro command. In a macro, it would bring up the
      menu at right. Menu (Var01;"What do you want to do next?"; {"Work
      hard.";"Be a diligent employee."; "-"; "Have lunch.";"Take a nap.";"Go
      home early.";"-";"Can't decide."}) Notice how there are dividers which
      separate this menu into worker-of-themonth options, slacker options,
      and indecisive options, respectively. You can use this kind of divider
      in your macro menus by inserting dashes (in quotes, of course) as menu
      items. You can see them in the command above, conveniently colored in
      red for your viewing ease. page 7 WordPerfect Mac News May 1995 he
      macros described in this section are contained in a WordPerfect file
      called “May Macros Read Me.” It was included when you downloaded the
      WordPerfect Mac News. The file also contains instructions for moving
      these macros to your Library, as well as more detailed help and
      instructions for use. Fill Down and Fill Across by David Moulton These
      two macros allow the user to type data in the top- or right-most cell
      of a series of cells, select that series of cells, and then fill the
      series with what is in the first cell. This may be text or a number, or
      it may be a formula that will be pasted relatively and reflect its new
      position. Figure A: Before running Fill Down Figure B: After running
      Fill Down Here’s an example. Figure A shows a table. Cell C1 is the sum
      of A1 and B1. If you’d like the other rows added as well, Fill Down can
      be used. Just select C1 through C4 and then run the macro. The result
      is Figure B. The Fill Right macro works the same way, with the user
      selecting cells in a row instead of a column. Set Bookmark and Find
      Bookmark by John Rethorst These let you set up to ten bookmarks in any
      WP document, and you can go to any one from a menu. Bookmarks are saved
      with the document. To set a bookmark, select a few words of text you
      want to specify as a bookmark, and call the Set Bookmark command. A
      menu appears with ten lines (initially all are empty, except for the
      letters you can press to choose that line). Click the letter A, or type
      that letter, to set the first bookmark. Repeat for up to ten bookmarks,
      or reassign a bookmark at any time. At a later point, you can go to
      that bookmark by calling the Find Bookmark command. A similar menu
      appears with a list of the page numbers (in parentheses) and text you
      selected for the bookmarks. Click on a bookmark, or type the letter to
      its left, and you will go to that bookmark, with the text again
      selected. If the macro cannot find the bookmark on the original page
      (for example, if editing has moved it elsewhere), a dialog will ask you
      if you want to search the document for it. If you answer yes, the first
      instance of that text in your file will be selected. Specification of
      the page allows you to use the same text on different pages for
      bookmarks if you wish, and can serve as an aid for memory by showing
      the bookmark’s location in the document. If you make frequent use of a
      bookmark that has changed location, simply redefine the bookmark. page
      8 WordPerfect Mac News May 1995 Envelopes by Brian Rasmussen n
      WordPerfect 3.1, there are two ways to print envelopes: the envelope
      stationery file and the envelope macro. The macro has more features and
      is simpler to use. For instance, you can store addresses directly
      inside the macro and “find” those addresses later. You can also print
      and sort your address list, save an envelope template, and change the
      font and size for your addresses.Using the Envelopes Macro To run the
      macro, go to Tools/Macro/Envelope. The envelope macro is launched and,
      if you have selected an address in one of your documents, it will be
      automatically copied and pasted into the envelope. Printers feed
      envelopes in four basic ways. Most printers feed the smaller end of the
      envelope first. Some printers feed the envelope through the center of
      the feeding carriage. This type is a center-fed printer. Care and
      feeding of envelopes.Other printers feed the envelopes through the left
      side and others through the right side. A less common method is to feed
      the wide end of the envelope through the printer. Most StyleWriters use
      this “frontload” method of feeding. Before you print your envelope you
      should select the correct method of feeding for your printer. To make
      this selection, click on the “Options” button from the envelope button
      bar that appears when you run the macro. Then select the first option,
      “Choose Printer Type” from the pop-up menu that appears. You should
      then select the feeding type that corresponds to the printer that you
      have; i.e., centerfed, right edge-fed, left edge-fed, or front load.
      Click on Print from the button bar, feed the envelope through the
      printer and the envelope is done. page 9 WordPerfect Mac News May 1995
      Envelopes, continued. If you do not like the positioning of either the
      return or mailing address, you can change them. To do so, click on the
      Options button again and select the second option, “Address Offsets.”
      You will be asked the vertical and horizontal offsets of your return
      address, and the offsets for your mailing address. A negative value for
      the vertical offsets will result in an upward movement of your address
      while a negative value for the horizontal offsets will move your
      address to the left. Any changes that you make to the offsets will be
      saved automatically so you will not have to reset the positions every
      time you print an envelope. Any time you print an envelope, you can add
      the address to a list that is kept in a document that the macro uses.
      If you want the address saved, click on the “Add” button. To find it
      later, click on the “Find” button and type in a name or word specific
      to that address and the macro finds it for you. Using the Envelope
      Stationery FileThe other method of envelope printing is the Envelope
      stationery file. It offers great versatility and flexibility, although
      it requires more input from you. If you have already typed an address
      in a letter, you must manually cut and paste it into the stationery
      file. Your return address is already inserted from your Personal
      Information file when you open the file. If you do not want a return
      address, simply delete it. You can use this file on any printer, even
      if it does not have a paper selection for an envelope. It uses the
      regular 8 1 2 " x 11" sheet of paper in landscape orientation. Your
      printer’s method of feeding the envelope will determine what your top
      and bottom margins should be. This stationery file is set up to be used
      with a left-fed printer, so the top margin is very large to compensate
      for the extra blank space on the top of the envelope as you are feeding
      it in. If you feed your envelopes through the right edge of your
      printer, your top margin must be set to about 0.5" and the bottom
      margin to about 4.5". Center-fed printers must have equal top and
      bottom margins to center the address. If your printer
      is… Top Bottom Left Right Center-fed 2.5 in 2.5 in 0.5 in 0.5 in Left
      edge-fed 4.5 in 0.5 in 0.5 in 0.5 in Right edge-fed 0.5 in 4.5 in 0.5
      in 0.5 in StyleWriter 0.5 in 0.5 in 1 in 0.5 in If you find you need
      to make some adjustments, experiment with it a little until you get the
      results you are looking for. When it looks just right, you will need to
      resave the template for later use. Save it in the stationery folder,
      and give it the name “Envelope”. You will also want to make sure you
      save it in WP Stationery format or it will not show up in the
      Stationery pull-down menu. page 10 WordPerfect Mac News May 1995
      Envelopes, continued. Frequently Asked Questions about Envelopes • When
      I use the stationery envelopes file, the addresses do not print on the
      envelope, or they print too high or too low. What causes this and how
      can I fix it? The top and bottom margins determine how high or low the
      text will print on the envelope. It is possible for the margins be so
      far off that nothing appears on the envelope when printed. For example,
      if you’re using a left edge-fed printer, the top margin must be set
      very large (4.5 inches) to move the text down so it will appear where
      the envelope will be fed through. For a center-fed printer, the margins
      must be balanced between the top and bottom. Right edge-fed printers
      must have a small top margin, usually about 0.5 inches. Check the above
      chart. • Should I use the envelope macro or stationery file to create a
      merge form file for merging with addresses? Also, can I put graphics
      images on the envelope? It is best to use the stationery file if you
      are creating a merge form file. Simply insert the field numbers or
      names in place of the mailing address and save the file. Then merge it
      with your data file. The envelope macro will not print graphics images.
      For this reason, you will need to use the stationery file for any
      graphics that you want to print on an envelope. • I’m using the
      Envelope Stationery file. When I set the paper size to Commercial 10
      envelope, and click OK, I get a bunch of soft page break lines all down
      the screen. If I were to print now, my envelope would be 14 pages long.
      What happened? The envelope stationery file is initially set up to use
      US Letter size paper. The default top margin is 4.5 inches. You can see
      that if you give an envelope 4.5 inch margins on the top and the
      bottom, there’s no room for any text. Just choose Margins from the
      Layout menu, and set the margins to about .5 inches all the way around
      (unless you’re using a StyleWriter, in which case you should have one
      inch on the left and about .5 inches for all others). You may want to
      save this envelope file for later use. Remember, WordPerfect Tech
      Support is here in case you need help with envelopes, or anything else
      in WordPerfect. Use the phone number printed in your WordPerfect User’s
      Guide, and be sure to have a WP License number or valid PIN when you
      call. page 11 WordPerfect Mac News May 1995 I know how to get the
      special characters in the standard Apple character set (à, é, ü, etc)
      as described on page 251 of the Macintosh User’s Guide. But I need
      something different. How do I make (say) an “a” with a small line over
      it? You need to use Kerning. First type the a, then after it type the
      ¯. (If you’re not sure of the keystroke for the symbol, use
      Insert/Symbols… to find it.) Now that the two characters are side by
      side, you need to kern them so close that they’re on top of each other.
      Just place the cursor between the two characters, then choose Kerning
      from the Layout menu, and move the two characters closer. My keyboard
      stopped working. Whenever I press a key, the Mac just makes these loud
      ‘bip, bip’ noises. What did I do? No, you haven’t filled your keyboard
      buffer to oblivion. You most likely held down the Return key for five
      seconds, thus activating Slow Keys, part of Apple’s Easy Access control
      panel. You can go into the Easy Access control panel and turn Slow Keys
      off. Or you can hold down the Return key for another five seconds,
      which turns it off as well. You’ll hear a beep, and then a “cascade
      down” sound. Your keys are back. I want to do a page with two columns,
      and then three columns. When I set the lower section for three columns,
      the two-column section above also changes. What am I doing wrong?
      —Brent Lawrence-Wescott A Small Example. Congratulations! You found the
      hidden contest! Here are the instructions for winning. Send us a Tip or
      Trick for WordPerfect for Macintosh. It doesn’t have to be elaborate or
      incredibly technical; just a tip that’s made your work a bit easier.
      The best five entries will receive something cool from the WordPerfect
      File Cabinet o’ Fun, and their entries will get printed in the June
      issue of the WP Mac News. We are the sole arbiters of what constitutes
      a good Tip or Trick. Send it by e-mail (subject: “Hidden Contest”) to
      macmail @..., by fax to (801) 222-1990, or by snail mail at
      the address on the back page. You have until 31 May 95 to send in
      entries. So don’t keep those tips to yourself; share your WordPerfect
      expertise! Hope to hear from you soon! There’s one thing you need to
      use: column breaks. Here are the steps I followed to create the example
      at right. 1. Start by setting up two columns from the Layout Bar. 2.
      Type whatever needs to go into the first column, and then choose Column
      Break from the Insert menu. You can also press Command-Shift-Return.
      That takes you over to the second column. 3. Type whatever needs to go
      into the second column. 4. At the end of the second column, do another
      Column Break. This will take you back to the first column. Now you can
      set up this lower section for three columns. Or none, if you prefer. If
      I highlight an ‘a’ and choose Symbol from the Font menu, it inserts an
      odd symbol with a pair of counterfacing question marks . Deleting this
      and typing the letter inserts the correct symbol (alpha, beta, etc.).
      Is there a way to directly insert the symbol? —Jim Woodgett It would
      work the way you’re doing it, if you had Font Mapping off. (Font
      Mapping is looking for an ‘a’ to connect to in the Symbol font, and of
      course there isn’t one.) To turn it off, choose Preferences from the
      Edit menu, and then click Environment. Now click Format, and turn Font
      Mapping off. (This works only with Version 3.0 or later.) page 12
      WordPerfect Mac News May 1995 We welcome your comments, suggestions,
      letters, etc. • What did you like about the WordPerfect Mac News? • How
      was the layout? (Easy to find things, not too cluttered, graphics
      helpful? • What would you change about the WordPerfect Mac News? • What
      features would you like to see highlighted in a future issue? • Which
      do you use? Mac DOS Windows UNIX Other • Do you read this magazine on
      the screen, or do you print it? Read on screen Print it out • Where
      did you find the WordPerfect Mac News • On the Macintosh, would you
      describe yourself as… A beginner A fairly proficient user A power
      user • On WordPerfect, would you describe yourself as… A beginner A
      fairly proficient user A power user You can reach us by e-mail at
      macmail @ wordperfect.com, by fax at (801) 222-1990, or “snail mail” to
      WP Mac News, MS ORM G-1512, WordPerfect/Novell Applications Group, 1555
      N. Technology Way, Orem UT 840572399. The Web Site is
      http://www.novell.com/ServSupp/mac Please send your letters, requests,
      ideas for features, and tips & tricks to us! We reserve the right to
      edit any material received for content, clarity, and length. By
      submitting material to the WordPerfect Mac News, you agree to assign
      any and all rights, title, and interest which you may have to your
      submission material and any work Novell Inc. derives from such
      submission material to Novell Inc., unless otherwise specified. The
      WordPerfect Mac News was created using WordPerfect 3.1 for Macintosh.
      The headings and the link buttons were created using ColorIt!™ 2.3 by
      MicroFrontier, Inc. Then the whole thing was printed to WordPerfect
      Envoy as a runtime application. WordPerfect 3.1, Document Experts, and
      WordPerfect Envoy are trademarks of Novell, Inc. ColorIt!™ is a
      trademark of MicroFrontier Inc. Apple and Macintosh are registered
      trademarks of Apple Computers Inc.NOTICE PLEASE READ: You accept this
      information with the understanding that Novell, Inc. makes no
      representations or warranties as to the suitability of this information
      for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use or
      implement this information in your own setting, you do so at your own
      risk. In no event will Novell, Inc. be liable for any damages, whether
      consequential, incidental, or special, arising out of the use of or
      inability to use the information provided herewith. Copyright Novell
      Incorporated © , 1995. All rights reserved. If you do print out the
      WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle it. page 13