WP Mac News 95/04

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      April 1995 Issue 4 C r e d i t s Editing and Layout Daniel Midgley
      WebPage and NetStuff David Moulton MacroMaster Gene Bowley Fine-Toothed
      Combing Winnie Miller Tyler Thompson Don Fowles David Sessions
      HyperText Linkage Cliff Nielsen Enthusiasm Brian Rasmussen Steve LeMmon
      Authority Figure Dave Nielsen Editor’s Corner . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . 1 MacMail . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . 2 Tips and Tricks . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
      Mastering Macros . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 Macros of the
      Month . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7 Feature Highlight . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . 8 Frequently Asked Questions . . . . . . . 11
      Your Turn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12 Click
      on a button to go to that section. M o r e C r e d i t s Moral
      Support Hans Rasmussen Edward “Bam” Lopez Lisa Ginn Carla Merrill
      Raquel Carter Ken Freeman Michael McRaney The WordPerfect Mac News is
      published monthly. You can get it at ftp.wordperfect.com, or on our BBS
      (801) 225-4414. CompuServe: Go wordperfect in the Mac Software Library.
      America Online: Keyword wordperfect in the Help and Info Files section
      of the Software Library. WorldWideWeb: http:// www.novell.com/
      SalesMkt/mac Gentle Readers: Welcome again to the News! More and more
      people are finding out about us now, and the reader mail we've been
      getting has picked up proportionately. Thanks for reading, and sending
      us your surveys and input. Your suggestions have improved the News by
      quite a lot. This month, we're adding a new column: MacMail. This is
      where we print your questions, comments, rantings, and so forth. So
      keep writing in. You’ll also find John Rethorst’s monthly macro
      tutorial, more Tips & Tricks, and some extra surprises. But you’ll have
      to find those on your own. Daniel page 1 WordPerfect Mac News April
      1995 • Anyone know of a good commercial WordPerfect user's guide? I'm
      using WP 3.1 on a PowerMac 6100 but have found I need a more complete
      reference than even the fine documentation included with the
      application itself. —K. Steven Blake You’re too kind. If you like John
      Rethorst’s monthly Mastering Macros column, you’ll want to check out
      his book, Teach Yourself WordPerfect 3 for the Mac. You’ll find it
      cogent and lucid, not to mention helpful and chock full of tips. It’s
      published by MIS Press. There are several other good third-party guides
      out there as well, so check with your local bookseller for specific
      titles. • I just found your WP Mac News, Jan & Feb 95, and found both
      to be excellent..…If I can make one comment or suggestion, here it is.
      The buttons on some of the pages say something to the effect of "next
      page" when in actuality it's not really taking you to the next page but
      rather to the next section. That's a bit confusing. —Robert Hartung
      Yeah, we wrestled with that one for a while. Just couldn't find the
      right word. Finally, inspiration struck. The buttons now say "Next
      Screen," as you can see. It seems to make more sense. See, we really do
      listen to your suggestions. If you request something, we may just do
      it. Except smileys. • Is it possible to have the WP News for Macintosh
      e-mailed directly to my account? It would be great to receive it
      automatically every month! —Paul Quinn We are hoping to start a mailing
      list for the News. Right now we are having a bit of a fight with our
      DOS server, and aren't able to do one. If we do start a mailing list,
      we'll let everyone know in the News. • Just came across a copy of WP
      Mac News - great idea! … An ASCII version would be nice - for all those
      folks with slower modems —Mark Klink • …You say that the whole thing is
      produced in WordPerfect, right? So how about providing it as a WP
      document. Envoy is pretty cool, but the extra 300K overhead makes it
      more expensive to download and less likely that I will keep more than a
      few issues on my Powerbook (which I would like to do)… —Christopher
      Plummer We realize that currently the News is kind of huge. We're
      working on cutting that down in the near future. In the meantime, we're
      putting out the WordPerfect Mac News in ASCII format. This text version
      is in a folder called “text” in the WP Mac News folder. The problem
      with releasing the original News document in WordPerfect format is that
      it's almost as big as the Envoy runtime, what with the graphics and
      all. We’ll keep you posted as developments occur. You can reach us by
      e-mail at macmail@..., or by fax at (801) 222-1990. The
      mailing address is on the back page. We welcome your comments,
      feedback, tips & tricks, and questions. Please note, however, that due
      to the sheer volume of mail we receive, you may not get a reply. If you
      need support for a WordPerfect product, use the support number in your
      User's Guide. page 2 WordPerfect Mac News April 1995 OnNewDocument
      Macro? Last month we discussed certain macro names that have special
      properties, specifically OnStartup and OnOpenDocument. Some readers
      have asked if you can give a macro a name like OnNewDocument so that
      every time a new document is created, it could (say) type your
      letterhead, insert the date, and automatically save itself into a
      certain folder. Well, there’s no special “OnNewDocument” macro name,
      but you can fake it. Here’s how. First, create a blank document, and
      attach your macro (the one you want to run whenever a new document is
      created) to it. Call the macro OnOpenDocument. Now take this blank
      document, title it New Document Stationery, and save it as a
      WordPerfect Stationery document in the WordPerfect/Stationery folder.
      So when you say New, WordPerfect opens the New Document Stationery, and
      runs the OnOpenDocument macro attached to it. Voilà, you have an
      OnNewDocument macro. A Word about Tools If you click on a tool in the
      Toolbox of the Graphic Editor, the arrow will be automatically
      re-selected as soon as you are through with that tool. If, however, you
      double-click on a tool in the Toolbox, the tool will stay selected
      until you choose something else. Justify My Words Justify D a i l y B l
      a b By the way, congratulations on your curiosity. You should be
      rewarded. To that end, we’d like to announce this month’s Hidden
      Contest. Here’s how it works. Send us in a Tip or Trick for WordPerfect
      by 4/30/95. All is good to use when you want to make a wide heading
      across a page. You may D a i l y B l a b I see you’ve discovered
      Envoy’s magnification feature. Or at least, I hope you’re magnifying
      this text, because if you’re reading it at actual size, you might dam-
      If yours is among the five best, you will get something from the
      WordPerfect File Cabinet o’ Fun. The email address is macmail @
      wordperfect.com (please make the subject “Hidden Contest”), and the fax
      number is (801) 222-1990. Any entries received are the property of
      Novell, Inc. We are the sole arbiters of what constitutes a good Tip or
      Trick. The winning tips will be printed in the May issue. An
      Option-Space (or two) between words makes the spacing a lot more even.
      age your vision. This brings us to this month’s Hidden Tip. When you’re
      doing a small mock-up of a page, it’s common to put in some gray fill
      to simulate text. This is known as “greeking.” But why not type a
      sentence, copy and paste it over and over, and make it really small
      (say 3 or 4 point)? There you have it: Instant Greek! Notice how a
      space between words makes them flee toward the margins when Justify All
      is used. have noticed, however, that spaces between words come out
      wider than you’d like. If you put a Option-Space between words, rather
      than a regular space, the spacing comes out more evenly. Makeover for
      Graphics Mode You don't have to be stuck with a screen full of dots in
      the Graphics layer your whole life. Try this. Go into the Graphics
      layer (Tools/Graphic/New). Choose Grid Options from the Layout menu.
      For Grid Color, choose the lightest gray along the bottom row. For Grid
      Lines, choose Solid. Then click OK. Now you have solid, but very light,
      grid lines. Pleasing, yet subtle. If you like the look, you’ll want to
      make it the default by choosing Save Settings from the Edit menu. page
      3 WordPerfect Mac News April 1995 by John Rethorst No. 3: Scripting
      with Variables n the last issue, we looked at how to use a flag in a
      macro, and how to have a macro make a decision for us, based on
      conditions in the document. This time we’ll look at something similar
      to a flag, but more versatile, called a read-only variable. This gives
      us a little more information about the document, which we can use the
      same way in an If/Else statement. We can also put the contents of the
      variable itself in an Alert. Read-only Variables In the college courses
      I’ve taught, the main thing students seem to want out of their papers
      is that they be long enough. Five pages equals significant thought,
      four pages doesn’t. A student could use a macro to test whether a paper
      is at least five pages long: End () If (PhysicalPage>4) Alert ("Yay!
      You're finished.") Else Alert ("You gotta keep going.") End If …which
      would all be typed into the macro editor—nothing here could be
      recorded. To enter this script: 1. Start a macro recording, with a
      title something like “Enough Pages?” 2. From the Window menu , switch
      into the macro editor. 3. Type the script as shown above. After you
      press Return for each line, WordPerfect will bold some words and indent
      some lines. If it underlines any words, you’ve made a typo. When done,
      your macro editor should look like the figure below. 4. Close the macro
      window, saving changes. Try this macro on documents that are either
      more or less than five pages long. Let's look at the grammar and
      vocabulary (or the syntax) again. The first line instructs WordPerfect
      to go to the end of the file, since it's the length at the end that we
      want to measure. The empty parentheses could contain the word “select,”
      in which case the macro would select all the text as it goes to the
      end. As it’s written here, the insertion point will go to the end of
      the file without selecting anything. It’s just vocabulary. page 4
      WordPerfect Mac News April 1995 Mastering Macros, continued. The second
      line has the If statement, and the word PhysicalPage, which means the
      page of the file the insertion point is on. Vocabulary again, and much
      like SelectionFlag, but let’s notice a difference. The term
      “SelectionFlag” can be called a flag since it’s either up or down; the
      condition is either true or false. “PhysicalPage” is not a flag, since
      it’s not a matter of yes or no; rather, one of quantity. What both have
      in common is that they vary according to what’s going on with your
      file, so we call them variables. In both this example and in the one we
      used last month, the If statement tests the value of a variable. The
      test in this case uses the standard “greater than” symbol, or “>” and
      could just as well have used the less than “<” symbol or the equals
      sign. Or could it? If the test were “If (PhysicalPage=5)” and our
      hapless student had already written six pages, what would the macro
      have told him or her? Right—to keep going! This is a big conceptual
      point to consider with macros: if the syntax is right, the macro does
      just what you tell it to. Often we overlook an error in logic because
      we, as humans, are used to making assumptions, often false ones, to our
      detriment. So another advantage to learning macros is that you’ll win
      more arguments. More sophistication While this macro is helpful to
      someone who needs to write at least five pages, it could be more
      helpful by telling him or her how many more pages must be written.
      Let’s have the macro calculate that for us. Edit your script so that it
      looks like the figure at left (again, WordPerfect will do the bolding
      and indenting for you, and underline any mistakes). You can use copy
      and paste for the If, Alert and End If lines, and change just a couple
      of numerals each time… …and run this macro on a document or two. Note
      how the If statements work: if the first condition is true, the macro
      displays the first alert, and so on. page 5 WordPerfect Mac News April
      1995 Mastering Macros, continued. Another way to design this macro
      would tell the user not how many pages are needed, but how many pages
      are already there. We can do that by adding the variable to the Alert
      line, as in the figure below: which uses something new to us in macros,
      the dollar sign. We call this an operator and, in scripts, it means
      join. The first and last parts of the alerts are thus regular text, in
      quotation marks, joined to the read-only variable. Note that in the
      regular text, the word only has a space after it, before the quote
      marks, and the word pages has a space before it, after the quotes. This
      just puts spaces on either side of the page number. This kind of
      design, providing the user more information, can be very helpful when
      the information is otherwise less readily available. Using read-only
      variables and flags lets you script some very complex decision
      patterns, and provide the user with a lot of data as well.
      Congratulations once more! You’re learning a lot. Next time we’ll look
      at another kind of variable, one that you can put data into as well as
      get data from. It’s hard to describe at this point the power and
      flexibility you’ll have with these tools. See you next month. * * *
      John Rethorst, author of Teach Yourself WordPerfect for the Mac, wishes
      more of life were as logical as macros. page 6 WordPerfect Mac
      News April 1995 Extended Kerning by Gene Bowley Some letter pairs
      seem to lead to sloppy spacing. They look much better when they’re
      kerned. o you kern? You do if you use WordPerfect’s Kerning feature to
      alter the space between two letters or characters. But how do you kern
      a group of letters all at once easily? Read on. This macro provides
      alternate kerning options not available with the WordPerfect Kerning
      feature. Any continuous string (particularly character pairs) may be
      kerned to a user-specified amount and the kerned string will then be
      copied throughout the document. The main menu offers two choices for
      kerning: 1) Kern only the selection, or 2) Kern all occurrences in the
      document. If no text was selected before running the macro, a prompt
      will come up and invite you to select the text you want to kern. As the
      macro continues its operation, it creates another window and inserts
      the string that is to be moved together or moved apart. The prompt box
      below the window provides instructions regarding the use of the arrow
      keys to control the kerning process. Pressing Enter will allow the
      macro to conclude with whichever you specified; either replacing only
      the selected string or all other identical strings throughout the
      document. Ligatures by Daniel Midgley A ligature is a combination of
      two or more letters that is treated like a single character. These
      special characters (usually fi and fl) are designed to look better than
      the separate letters alone. In many fonts, you can access these
      ligatures by pressing Option-Shift-5 for fi, and Option-Shift-6 for fl,
      but many people find this extra step inconvenient. This macro changes
      your fi and fl keystroke combinations into their appropriate ligatures.
      It also changes them back for spell-checking purposes. Just run the
      macro, and you will see the menu at left: The options explain
      themselves, but if you need more help, Option C is there for you. The
      changes will take effect for the entire document, unless you had a
      section of your document highlighted, in which case the changes will
      take effect only for that section. Remember, not all fonts have the
      ligatures built in. If you get “ sh” instead of “fish” after joining
      the letters, just use the macro to separate them again, and then join
      them only in sections with fonts that have the characters. Compare a
      regular ‘fi’ with its ligature. Much smoother. The macros described in
      this section are contained in a WordPerfect file called “April Macros
      Read Me.” It was included when you downloaded the WordPerfect Mac News.
      The file also contains instructions for moving these macros to your
      Library. page 7 WordPerfect Mac News April 1995 Show Codes by Daniel
      Midgley y page numbers are disappearing!” said the frantic voice on the
      other end. “I tried to suppress the page number on page one, and now
      I’ve got numbers disappearing on page two! What’s happening?” No, it
      wasn't a bizarre virus. It was something a little more common:
      formatting trouble. When you're working in a complex document,
      formatting can sometimes throw you. “Disappearing page numbers, eh? No
      problem,” quoth I. Then I showed the user one of the most useful
      features of WordPerfect for Macintosh: Show Codes. Show Codes is a
      wonderful diagnostic tool that gives you a glimpse into the inner
      workings of your WordPerfect documents. Knowing how to use Codes can
      help you use and understand the features of WordPerfect. Show Codes is
      also a powerful troubleshooting tool. In this article, we'll explain
      the Show Codes feature, and give a few time-saving tips. Getting Around
      in Codes Here are some of the basics you’ll need to know to use Codes.
      To turn on Codes, choose Show Codes from the Edit menu. You can also
      press CommandShift-K (for kodes, of kourse). When you do, you’ll see a
      big black bar dividing your screen into two sections. The top part is
      your old familiar document, and the bottom is the Codes section.
      Document window This represents your Insertion Point. Codes window { {
      Close Box Divider Line The diagram at right shows the various parts of
      the Codes window. You can slide the Divider Line up and down by
      clicking on it and dragging. This allows you to see more of the Codes
      section at once. You can turn off Codes by clicking on the tiny Close
      Box, instead of choosing Hide Codes from the Edit menu. The little
      rectangle is your Insertion Point. You may find it easier to move it
      around using the arrow keys rather than clicking around in the Codes
      window. page 8 WordPerfect Mac News April 1995 Show Codes, continued
      Now let’s take a look at a sample document. Here are some things to
      notice. The Codes window shows your text, just like the Document window
      does. Diamonds represent spaces. Some Codes appear in boxes. The ones
      here show my margin settings, font, and font size. The Set Font code
      says Palatino, which means the whole document will be in Palatino until
      I put in another code changing the font. HRt stands for Hard Return,
      which just means that’s where I pressed the Return Key. SRt’s are Soft
      Returns. That’s where the line wrapped automatically. You can’t remove
      them; they’re put in by the program. Finally, notice the Bold Flags.
      They point toward whatever’s bolded. Most flags have to do with
      character attributes, including Italics, Underline, Superscript and
      Subscript, and Styles. Getting Rid of Codes One of the great things
      about Show Codes is that it allows you to delete unwanted Codes just as
      if they were characters. Here’s how it works. Let’s say that in the
      letter above, you don't want to use Palatino. To make the change, put
      the insertion point just to the right of the Set Font code. Again, you
      might find that using the arrow keys to move around works a little more
      dependably than just clicking in the Codes window. Now that the
      insertion point is placed correctly, press the Delete key. The Set Font
      code disappears… …and the text will now change to whichever font was
      being used before the Palatino code took effect. page 9 WordPerfect Mac
      News April 1995 Show Codes, continued Here’s another example. Let’s say
      you have a Hard Page Break in your text, and you no longer want it.
      First, click the cursor in the text, so the Insertion Point is the
      first code after the HPg. (In this case, the cursor is on the following
      line, but that’s okay; it’s still the first code after the HPg.) Then
      press the Delete key, and the HPg will disappear. The Moving Code So
      what of my customer with the disappearing page numbers? This was a case
      of moving codes. Remember, codes act like characters. When you type,
      they move along with the text. She had placed a “Suppress Page Number”
      code near the end of page 1, and then she added some text near the top
      of that page. There was just enough new text to push that Suppress code
      over to page 2, so page 2’s number was now suppressed. I explained that
      in this case it was best to click the cursor at the top of page 1, and
      then place the Suppress code. That way it would stay put. It’s a good
      idea to be aware of which codes are where, so any problems will be easy
      to track. Find Code If you left a code floating around somewhere and
      you need to find it, you’ll want to take a look at Find Code under the
      Edit menu. This is a big list of all the commands in WordPerfect. Start
      typing the name of the desired command to get down to the right area,
      and highlight its name. You can search for codes forward and backward,
      and delete one occurrence or all of any code. Copying Codes You can
      copy most subdocuments (headers, footers, watermarks, footnotes, and so
      on) from one document to another easily, just by copying the codes.
      First, find the code for the subdocument. Position the cursor just to
      the left of the subdocument code. Then hold down the Shift key, and
      press the right arrow once. The codes will look like this: . That
      means the code is selected. Now choose Copy from the Edit menu, go to
      your new document, and choose Paste from the Edit menu. Even if that
      watermark had two hundred graphic objects in it, the whole thing is now
      in your new document, just by pasting in the code. What a time-saver!
      Show Codes is an incredibly helpful tool. Using it will help you
      understand how WordPerfect features work in your documents. page 10
      WordPerfect Mac News April 1995 I want to edit my default style so that
      when I open a new document, it has my favorite font, size, ruler
      settings, hyphenation, and all that. What’s the best way? There are two
      good ways. The first way we discussed in a previous issue. Create a
      file that looks just the way you’d like all new documents to appear.
      Call it “New Document Stationery” (watch the ‘e’ in Stationery), save
      it as a WordPerfect Stationery document (using the Save As… dialog) and
      place it in the WordPerfect/Stationery folder. WordPerfect will then
      open that stationery document whenever you create a new file. The other
      way is to edit the Document Style. Click on the button, and then click
      . Then you’ll see a big list of all the styles in the Library.
      Highlight Document, and then click Edit. You will then see a small
      document called Library Style: Document. Remember, whatever changes you
      make in this subdocument will show up on every new document, whether it
      be fonts, sizes, tab settings, justification, line and paragraph
      spacings, and so on. Make the changes and close the document to finish.
      Sure, it says you’re not using any style, but every file really starts
      off using the Document Style. Note: If you’re using version 2.1 or
      earlier, edit the Normal style, not the Document style. Same function,
      different name. I was looking through Edit/Preferences/Keyboard. What
      do all those symbols mean? No, it’s not Egyptian. And it won’t be Greek
      to you, once you read the FAQ at left. These are the symbols for the
      various modifier keys you’ll need to press when you’re trying to reach
      various commands. Some of them may seem odd, but they’re easily
      explained. Here they are. is for Command (or Apple). means Shift. is
      Option. stands for Control. You won’t see the Control key mapped to
      anything by default, which makes it ideal for use when you’re assigning
      your own keystrokes to commands or macros. means “Numeric Keypad 4”
      when Num Lock is off. Yes, there is a difference between 4 and Keypad
      4. The and mean “Press the Gold Key once” or “twice,” respectively. And
      what is the Gold Key, you ask? By default it’s Numeric Keypad 5 or 7.
      So means “Press the 5 (or 7) on the Numeric Keypad twice (you’ll see
      your cursor change into a 1, then a 2), and then press Numeric Keypad
      2.” But that’s only when Num Lock is off, because if it’s on and you
      press the number keys, you’ll just get the numbers in your document. To
      be honest, we recommend using the Gold Key only if you’re going through
      some serious DOS withdrawal symptoms. You’ll find that you can save a
      lot of time using keystrokes to get to your favorite commands rather
      than reaching for the mouse every time. You’ll also find that the most
      common commands (e.g. Save) have the easiest keystrokes to remember.
      page 11 WordPerfect Mac News April 1995 We welcome your comments,
      suggestions, letters, etc. • What did you like about the WordPerfect
      Mac News? • How was the layout? (Easy to find things, not too
      cluttered, graphics helpful?) • What would you change about the
      WordPerfect Mac News? • What features would you like to see highlighted
      in a future issue? • Which do you use? Mac DOS Windows UNIX Other • Do
      you read this magazine on the screen, or do you print it? Read on
      screen Print it out • Where did you find the WordPerfect Mac News?
      • On the Macintosh, would you describe yourself as… A beginner A
      fairly proficient user A power user • On WordPerfect, would you
      describe yourself as… A beginner A fairly proficient user A power
      user You can reach us by e-mail at macmail @ wordperfect.com, by fax at
      (801) 222-1990, or “snail mail” to WP Mac News, MS ORM G-1512,
      WordPerfect/Novell Applications Group, 1555 N. Technology Way, Orem UT
      840572399. Please send your letters, requests, ideas for features, and
      tips & tricks to us! We reserve the right to edit any material received
      for content, clarity, and length. By submitting material to the
      WordPerfect Mac News, you agree to assign any and all rights, title,
      and interest which you may have to your submission material and any
      work Novell Inc. derives from such submission material to Novell Inc.,
      unless otherwise specified. The WordPerfect Mac News was created using
      WordPerfect 3.1 for Macintosh. The headings and the link buttons were
      created using ColorIt!™ 2.3 by MicroFrontier, Inc. Then the whole thing
      was printed to WordPerfect Envoy as a runtime application. WordPerfect
      3.1, Document Experts, and WordPerfect Envoy are trademarks of Novell,
      Inc. ColorIt! is a trademark of MicroFrontier Inc. Apple and Macintosh
      are registered trademarks of Apple Computers Inc. All other product
      names are trademarks of their respective companies. NOTICE PLEASE READ:
      You accept this information with the understanding that Novell, Inc.
      makes no representations or warranties as to the suitability of this
      information for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use
      or implement this information in your own setting, you do so at your
      own risk. In no event will Novell, Inc. be liable for any damages,
      whether consequential, incidental, or special, arising out of the use
      of or inability to use the information provided herewith. Copyright
      Novell Incorporated © , 1995. All rights reserved. If you do print out
      the WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle it. page 12