8288Re: [wpmac] WP book, 2nd edition (Geoff's suggestions)

  • Gilbert, Geoff
    Jul 16, 2014
      What is unusual is that in WP DOS and at least early versions of WPWin, you could write a macro that converted generated footnote numbers into text for export - you lost the ability to automatically generate the correct footnote numbers in the exported format if you inserted a new footnote, but it meant everything could be done in WP, footnote cross-references generated, and then run the macro so that those numbers became normal text ready for export to Word. It is one of the few occasions where WPMac is less flexible than the DOS or Win versions
      ------------------
      Geoff Gilbert
      Professor of Law
      Joint Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
      School of Law and Human Rights Centre
      University of Essex
      Wivenhoe Park
      Colchester
      CO4 3SQ
      Tel +44 (0)1206 872557
      Fax +44 (0)1206 873428
      geoff@...

      On 16 Jul 2014, at 01:05, John Rethorst johnrethorst@... [wordperfectmac] <wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Geoff,

      Reading Thomas’ email reminded me that I had not responded. I think one of the things that needs to be highlighted is the ease of outputting the WP document as either a .pdf file or a .doc file. Those two formats are now standard except in a few particular settings (e.g. some US court systems still demand WP, I believe). Thus, although everyone I write for wants a .doc file, I still work in WP for the precise control it gives me and then “Save As” at the end. I would also highlight how the keyboard can so readily be remapped to whatever you want.

      I will emphasize that. WP Mac in legacy systems would not output to PDF without something third-party, and the ease with which it will do so now should be something every user knows about. I also see elsewhere that the current version of Word will read Word 6 files if opened within the program, and that's worth knowing about. I think we've generally had better luck  saving WP Mac docs as Word 6 than as RTF.

      If you want to indicate a limitation, if you have auto generated cross-references in footnotes, 'Save As' loses the number - my guess is that this will not be a major headache for most people.

      But the cross-referencing facility is very nice for academic work. I remember your interest in finding a way to preserve those numbers, years ago, and thought I had found a way using Applescript but then couldn't duplicate it. I'll at least mention the limitation.

      Thanks!