8214Re: [wpmac] Opening WPD Files on my Mac

  • Randy B. Singer
    May 1, 2014
      On May 1, 2014, at 12:03 PM, Chad Smith wrote:

      > I would not at all suggest NeoOffice. It costs money, is outdated, and offers nothing that LibreOffice does not already have.

      I have to strongly disagree with that. Because Microsoft have moved to a subscription model for Office, and many users don't want to be paying Microsoft in perpetuity, I've been testing the OpenOffice siblings for suitability as a substitute for Office.

      NeoOffice only costs $10, and for that $10 you get a version of the OpenOffice code for the Macintosh that not only isn't outdated (it has been continually updated), it has features that the others don't, and in my experience is far more stable than the others. It also has, to my eye, a somewhat nicer, more Mac-like interface.
      (scroll down to "Mac OS X Features")
      There is a reason that NeoOffice can get away with charging a modest $10 when its competitors are free.

      NeoOffice ($10 or more donation required)

      This isn't to say that *any* of the OpenOffice siblings are perfect substitutes for MS Office in all cases. They aren't suitable substitutes for many users (which is a shame, it would be nice to have a modern application to escape Microsoft's hegemony), including those who rely on Office's Table of Authorities feature, who use Office's collaboration features (which are different than the similar features in OO), who rely on MS Office's Visual Basic macro language (OO has macros, but not based on Visual Basic), etc.

      Also, while the OO siblings can open MS Office documents, they can't be relied upon to do so perfectly 100% of the time. This is a big deal to some, not so much to others.

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic