7980Re: [wpmac] WordPerfect documents are garbled

  • Robert J Slover
    Aug 22, 2013
      I took a look at the file - it appeared to be base64 encoded - I used the command-line base64 utility in OSX to decode it, and the resulting file has some very regular structure to it (so it looks, superficially at least, like some sort of binary records), but I did not recognize the format (which does not mean much - last platform I seriously used WordPerfect on was VAX/VMS).

      Does anyone have a set of Unix "magic numbers" for various WP files? More examples might also help, as might knowing specifically what type of files, for which application, on what platform, these were expected to be...

      --Robert

      > On Aug 21, 2013, at 22:44, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Is this the dreaded WP issue that cropped up occasionally when you'd open a file, and it told you it was damaged (I forget the exact message, as it's been awhile, thank heaven!) and it would immediately close?
      >>
      >> That happened to me a couple of times when I was writing my dissertation, even though I was obsessive about backups, and would archive a new version daily. For awhile I was booting with extensions off (I think that was one of the possible antidotes, though I don't think anyone was quite sure).
      >>
      >> One time I succeeded in recovering a file where I did not have a recent backup by converting the file multiple times. I think I used MacLinkPlus to convert it to rtf (because it didn't have to be opened in WP to do it), and then imported the rtf in WP, was able to retrieve the info I wanted, and then copied it into a new WP file.
      >>
      >> This could be a completely different issue, though. IN the one I'm referring to, the file would look normal in WP, but then the program would close it.
      >>
      >> Rick
      >>

      >> On Aug 21, 2013, at 11:31 AM, fostersusan13 wrote:
      >>
      >>> My WordPerfect documents are garbled. Can I upload one as a sample, so I can be directed as to what I need to do in order to open and/or convert them?
      >>>
      >>> Thank you!
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic