7897Re: [wpmac] WordPerfect backwards compatibility

  • Chris Harshman
    Jul 26, 2013
      Totally forgot to hit that question... The short answer is, WordPerfect is
      great about maintaining file format compatibility. From the late 90s
      WordPerfect 8 onward, every WP version can open earlier *and later *versions'
      documents (though features found in later versions will be ignored -- but
      retained -- when editing in older versions). The documents 'degrade
      gracefully' when opened with earlier versions. It's pretty elegant.

      For the record, I use WordPerfect 12 through 'wine,' which is close to
      native but not for the faint of heart. I've also successfully used
      WordPerfect X6 under Windows XP under VMware, and it's easy, fast, and
      great.

      I'm sure Parallels is the same, but I'm wedded to the VMware ecosystem...