Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

7849Re: [wpmac] BasiliskII-based WPMac system

Expand Messages
  • Smokey Ardisson
    Jun 3, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      On Sat Jun 1, 2013 3:17 pm ((PDT)), "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:

      >It's also interesting that PrintToPDF doesn't embed fonts. I don't
      >understand that part of things -- Laserwriter 8 gives you the option
      >of embedding fonts.

      The PDF spec defines 8? standard fonts that are supposed to be on
      every system (in the old days, often installed with Acrobat Reader),
      so if you used only those fonts, you could be guaranteed that your
      appearance and layout would be preserved without needing to embed
      fonts. Also, those PDFs were smaller, since instead of embedding the
      font, they just used a reference (tagging the text runs with the font
      name, or something similar). And in the pre-Mac OS X era, PrintToPDF
      was a simple and inexpensive way for the average
      (non-Acrobat/Distiller-owning) Mac user to produce PDFs. (It also
      supported making "structured PDFs" (headings to PDF Table of
      Contents, links, etc.) from programs like WP that didn't specifically
      output things in the way Distiller required for structured PDFs; I
      kept using PrintToPDF for that even after I owned Acrobat.)

      >When I re-released my Scripting Guide in PDF format, I embedded
      >fonts, thinking formatting would then be accurate and not dependent
      >on the user's fonts. But I was told the Guide opened up as gibberish
      >on some machines. Ed suggested not embedding fonts, so I replaced it
      >with a PDF file without embedded fonts and have had no complaints. I
      >would have thought things would go exactly the other way.

      It's definitely been a while since I've done that, but about a decade
      ago I used to embed the fonts that all the time, with no problems in
      the subsequently-generated PDFs. I also don't remember your
      Scripting Guide situation, but it's possible there was some sort of
      encoding/charset issue with the font used (this is typically the case
      with, e.g. gibberish PDFs produced by random software on Linux,
      although I haven't seen this problem in some time even with that).

      I'm not sure that this provides any solutions, but perhaps there's
      some useful background as to the whys.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic