7815Re: A warning about multiple copies of SheepShaver

  • ted_m_p_lee
    May 2, 2013
      Thanks. Although, as you sort of point out, if you want the script to work no matter where the target application is, you can't hard code the path. As to finding the wrong one, I noticed when I was working on another script and misspelled the target of an "activate" that the script editor looked for the target before it tried to save the script, so I can see how renaming might not work. (If you look inside an app you'll find the app's short name in several places on the main property list -- I vaguely remembering reading somewhere how launch services uses those.)

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sardisson" <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

      > I kept meaning to reply to this, but kept never thinking about it when I had time and was near the computer :P
      >

      > > I suppose there is a way to write the Applescript so it always finds the "right" version (i.e., the one in <home>/Applications/SheepShaver folder)
      >
      > Yep. Instead of
      >
      > tell application "SheepShaver" to activate
      >
      > one writes
      >
      > tell application "/full/UNIX/path to/desired/SheepShaver.app" to activate
      >
      > So, for your example above, the path is "/Users/tedsusername/Applications/SheepShaver folder/SheepShaver.app"
      >
      > This is not standard practice (and is frowned upon) for a reason when writing AppleScripts, but for individual use and in certain situations, like this one, it's a valid solution. So you can edit your copy in that manner, should you desire.
      >
      > Hope this helps!
      >
      > Smokey

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic