7586Re: [wpmac] Adding tildes to characters in Wordperfect - solved

    Dec 12, 2012
      And it might be worth pointing out that WordPerfect for the Mac is not the best place to create this document, because the u-tilde and i-tilde characters cannot be correctly exported to anything else. They will LOOK right in PDF out or printed output, but when any other software copies the text from a PDF or anything else, the u-tilde and i-tilde characters will be replaced with something else. It's a guaranteed recipe for trouble down the road. (WordPerfect for Windows, at least in its recent unicode-aware versions, would be fine.)

      > The WP IBM Character Sets font suitcase is also available in the Files section here, as Character Sets.sit.

      > > Yes! This is the best available solution to the problem. It isn't perfect, but it works.
      > >
      > > Here is how to implement it:
      > >
      > > In SheepShaver-WP (John's system). Shut down WP. In the System Folder, find the folder named Fonts (disabled). Drag the WP IBM Character Sets font suitcase into the Fonts folder. Start up WP, select the WP Multinational A Roman font, use Insert -> Symbols and insert the u-tilde character.
      > >
      > > In the WPMacApp. Shut down WP. Go to the WordPerfect Files & Add-Ons folder. Find the folder named WP Character Sets. Drag the WP IBM Character Sets font suitcase into the system folder and let it be copied into the Fonts folder. Start up WP, and proceed as above.
      > >
      > > The WP Multinational A Roman font resembles (more or less) the Times font, so the Times font should probably be used for the rest of the text.
      > >
      > > To automate inserting the u-tilde, create this macro:
      > >
      > > Font Name ("WP MultinationalA Roman")
      > > Type (È)
      > > Font Name ("Times")
      > >
      > > You can assign a keystroke to it in the Macro->Edit dialog.
      > >
      > > John can probably refine this macro so that it runs only when editing, but this is the basic idea.
      > >
      > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "darylngee" <darylngee@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I don't know PopChat, but here's a WP possibility: Within my copy of WP, there are many fonts, including the WP International Fonts. Go through them and see if you can find a font named,"WP xxxxxxxxxxxx." There are WP Greek, WP Cyrillic, WP Courier.... If you are successful, you can do all this in WP for Mac without other software or going to MS Word or even trying the Finder's / Edit / Special Characters.

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic