7550Re: Managing legal captions with WordPerfect when switching to a Mac

    Nov 26, 2012
      Further thoughts: if you mean (2) in the choices below, then the only way to convert these files successfully to Word on a Mac is to set up WordPerfect for Windows in a VMware Fusion (or Parallels Desktop) "virtual Windows machine," open the files in WPWin and save them from there in Word format. This works perfectly using WPWin X6; it probably works with earlier versions as well.

      You may get advised to use Codeweavers Crossover to set up WPWin in OS X. It's possible to do but complicated, and I don't know whether the file conversion will work. You would need to experiment.

      None of the Mac-based converter programs that I know about can successfully export WP files with text boxes with captions. WordPerfect for the Mac crashes when trying to open such a file.

      > It isn't entirely clear what you mean by a caption. Do you mean:
      >
      > (1) a text box with text inside it, or,
      >
      > (2) a text box that has a caption BELOW it.
      >
      > The second is what WordPerfect means by a caption, but I'm not sure if that's what you mean, because you say that the box has a caption "contained inside a box". If you could create a sample file and post it somewhere, that might be helpful in trying to solve this problem.
      >
      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "mnplyches" <diostarcraft@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey all,
      > >
      > > This is my first post in this group, and I'd like to begin by saying thank you for letting me join! :)
      > >
      > > I have a very specific problem that I'm hoping you fine folks here could set straight.
      > >
      > > Actually, I should back up a bit. Most of the conversion won't be an issue, as the formatting and footnotes should remain the same. However, for several legal documents, such as summons, complaints, etc., the document contains a caption, which is a block of header text at the top of every document, contained inside a box.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic