7445Help Menus (was: WP MacAppliance Status Window and Macro Help…)

    Sep 17, 2012
      Keeping a backup Prefs (and Library) file, and making a copy to replace the possibly corrupted one in current use, is very good advice. Beyond that, and specific to the Help menu:

      The Help menu in WP occasionally loses some of its content, the Macro Help item for example. To restore it, go to Edit > Preferences > Folders, and from the Type menu choose Help. Navigate to the Help folder in your WP application folder (that is, the folder that contains the application file or another folder you've designated as WordPerfect Folder in this same dialog).

      Due to a minor program bug, the Help folder location shown in that menu occasionally reverts to Undefined, even though you set it just last month.

      On the subject of Help menus, don't overlook the completely separate QuickHelp for WP, in "QuickHelp.zip" in the Files section here. This installs nicely in the OtherMenu script/utility menu, also in the Files section here. QuickHelp has a good search feature.

      There's also the WordPerfect Guide. This is in "Help files.sit", also in the Files section here.

      Counting balloon help, I don't know of another program that has _four_ separate help environments. If you'd never used WP, you might think the program was hard to use.

      > Here is an easier solution to the disappearing Macro Help and the problem with the corrup Preferences files. Follow these steps exactly.
      >
      > 1. Quit WordPerfect.
      >
      > 2. In the Finder, navigate to the System Folder, then Preferences. You'll find two folders inside Preferences: WordPerfect and WP Backup.
      >
      > 3.Inside the WP Backup folder, find the file Preferences (USA).
      >
      > 4. Option-click and drag that file (in order to leave the copy in the WP Backup folder untouched) into the WordPerfect folder. When prompted to replace the existing file, choose OK.
      >
      > The help files should now appear correctly.
      >
      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "putley165" <putley@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Congratulations to John and Ed for the fine job of creating WP Mac Appliance. I just installed it and like it.
      > >
      > > Despite selecting "show status window" in the preferences, I cannot get it to show.
      > >
      > > The Macro Help menu seems to have disappeared; I cannot find it by clicking on "Help."

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic