7062Re: PPC Apps in Lion?

    Oct 22, 2011

      > Apple's end user license agreements for Snow Leopard and Lion do not
      > preclude installing Snow Leopard in a virtual environment, i.e., as a
      > guest OS. They merely require that you purchase as many copies as
      > you install.
      > http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

      The VMware and Parallels legal department came to a different conclusion, and my conversations with Apple executives suggest that they also agree that you can't legally virtualize Snow Leopard or any earlier version (although it's perfectly legal to virtualize any version of Lion and the SERVER versions of Leopard and Snow Leopard).

      See, for example,

      https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3195457?start=0&tstart=0

      VMware and Parallels include code that prevents you from installing Snow Leopard. I've tried it - they both popped up messages explicitly saying that they will not install the version of OS X that I tried to install. But they both will install Snow Leopard SERVER.

      Someone whose reliability I trust experimented with Snow Leopard in VirtualBox (the open-source counterpart of VMware and Parallels) under Lion. VirtualBox did, more or less, complete the installation of Snow Leopard, but the result was unusable. It mostly never booted, and when it did, it needed twenty minutes to reach the desktop, and then locked up afterward.
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic