7060Re: [wpmac] PPC Apps in Lion?

  • Randy B. Singer
    Oct 21, 2011
      On Oct 21, 2011, at 11:01 AM, Chad Smith wrote:

      > I never knew that. I wonder what the thinking is. I mean I know most
      > people wouldn't ever want to install an earlier version of OS X -
      > but why
      > make the effort to actively prevent it from happening?

      It isn't a conspiracy. Apple doesn't "actively prevent" Macs from
      running older versions of the OS.

      New Mac models have new firmware. The OS that they come with
      supports that firmware, earlier versions of the Mac OS were written
      before that firmware existed, so they don't support it. It's that
      simple.

      It isn't entirely true that if you purchase a current brand-new Mac
      that, of course, comes with Lion, that you can't install Snow Leopard
      on it and have it work. If your new Mac was on the market prior to
      the introduction of Lion, it will run Snow Leopard just fine. Snow
      Leopard was written with that model's firmware in mind, and, in fact,
      that model was previously offered with Snow Leopard. Apple doesn't
      cripple their Macs so that they can no longer run versions of the OS
      that they were previously offered with.

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html