6909Re: [wpmac] Apple Security Update For MacDefender

  • Phillip M. Jones,C.E.T.
    Jun 4 12:18 PM
      Also locate the utility called Safe Download Version which checks which
      version of the malware updater Apple has installed. Currently on version
      4 since all the ruckus started.

      John R wrote:

      > ClamXAV has updated virus definitions for MacDefender and its variants.
      > This freeware antivirus program can be set to quarantine infected files,
      > a procedure that Apple has apparently copied for Snow Leopard (ClamXAV
      > runs on Tiger and later). See
      >
      > http://www.clamxav.com/
      >
      > And, as posted, it's a very good idea to uncheck Safari's Open Safe
      > Files After Downloading preference.
      >
      > John R.
      >
      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > On May 31, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
      > >
      > > > A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
      > > > malware issue:
      > > > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657
      > >
      > > It took less than 8 hours for a new Mac Defender variant to appear
      > > that can bypass Apple's
      > > security system:
      > > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/new-apple-antivirus-signatures-
      > > bypassed-within-hours-by-malware-authors-update/3396>
      > >
      > > or
      > >
      > > http://is.gd/Ratlvy
      > >
      > > <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/new-variant-of-mac-defender-
      > > quickly-evades-apples-security-update-as-cat-and-mouse-game-begins/>
      > >
      > > or
      > >
      > > http://is.gd/8nPYJF
      > >
      > > As before, it is important to make sure that you have "Open safe
      > > files after downloading" UNchecked in Safari's preferences.
      > > Even better, if you routinely use a non-administrator account on your
      > > Mac, MacDefender can't even attempt to install itself. (If you need
      > > to know how to move to a non-administrator account, let me know and I
      > > will post the steps.)

      > > Randy B. Singer
      > > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
      > >
      > > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      > > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

      Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
      http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic