6457Thanks! [was: Re: Sheepshaver basic question]

  • Rick Albright
    Aug 28 7:53 PM
      You're right on all counts, as usual, John. It's an Intel machine; I did have the WP 3.5e app on my hard drive (which I have now deleted), and after I downloaded the Open WP Files app, all my WP files recognized it as the default program to open them.

      It works fine now. Thanks again.

      Now if I could only get Snow Leopard to "see" my LaserWriter 16/600 PS printer! It had been set up via AppleTalk on my PPC machine (I connect via the ethernet port, as it's pre-USB), but of course Apple did away with AppleTalk when Leopard came along. I've tried various proposed solutions, including a USB to parallel cable, without success. I was finally able to make it work by using a PPC Mac running 10.4 as a kind of print server, and sharing the printer. It was easy to do, and works well enough. because Snow Leopard sees the printer as shared by the PPC Mac; I just have to have that machine running if I want to print anything.

      But that's an issue for a different forum, not this one.

      Again, thanks for your help.

      Rick

      On Aug 27, 2010, at 11:39 PM, jrethorst wrote:

      > You're on 10.6.4, meaning Intel, so the only way you can run WP is with SS (or Basilisk). A copy of the WP 3.5e program file should not be floating around on your disk, i.e. in Applications. If that's the case, delete it and empty the Trash.
      >
      > Then download "Open WP Files 1.0.1.zip" from the Files section here, and put the unzipped file anywhere, maybe your desktop for the moment.
      >
      > You then could relaunch the Finder (press Option as you choose the Finder in the Dock), or you may have to run Onyx to reset the Launch Services database. Then do a Get Info on a WP file, and set Open WP Files as the application to open.
      >
      > John R.
      >
      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Sorry, but I think I'm more confused.
      > >
      > > When I "Get info" on my WordPerfect files (in the Documents folder), the "Open with" information is: Corel Wordperfect 3.5e. Should I be changing this to something else? Sheepshaver? I can't seem to find it as an application (probably because it's on the desktop, not under Applications).
      > >
      > > I do have a "Set Files to WP" script icon on my Sheepshaver desktop (it was part of the installation), but it doesn't seem to do anything that I can see. I've tried double-clicking on it, and I've tried to drag and drop files onto it, but nothing happens.
      > >
      > > However, I CAN get to my files, as long as I: 1) run Sheepshaver; 2) Double-click on the WordPerfect icon (the inkwell, quill, and parchment icon); 3) Do a file-open, and look for the files under the Unix folder.
      > >
      > > I'm fine doing it this way, as long as I can get to my files. I must have imagined that I could double-click on them right in OSX.
      > >
      > > I appreciate your help and patience.
      > >
      > > Rick
      > >

      > > On Aug 27, 2010, at 2:16 PM, jrethorst wrote:
      > >

      > > > Most of my reply somehow got cut off and I just noticed it. I would want to be more helpful than just say "see other posts . . ." :-)
      > > >
      > > > Double-clicking a file in the OSX folder you've designated as the SheepShaver Unix/transfer folder (normally the Documents folder of the Home folder), and having it open in WP in SS, is accomplished by the "Open WP Files OSX" droplet, which comes with both the SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install and WPMacPPC Installer.
      > > >
      > > > Do a Get Info on a WP file in OSX that's in your transfer folder. If necessary, change the Open With application to Open WP Files. Apply that to all files (you may need to be logged on as an administrator to do this).
      > > >
      > > > If that doesn't fix it, download the Onyx utility from the Links section here and run the Reset Launch Services option.
      > > >
      > > > John R.

      > > Rick Albright
      > > logres@...
      > >
      > > Writing the Past, Writing the Future: Time and Narrative in Gothic and Sensation Fiction
      > > http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Past-Future-Narrative-Sensation/dp/0980149649/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280368238&sr=1-1

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic