6434Re: [wpmac] Any free word processor/converter for Mac that will save a doc in ".wpd" format?

    Aug 20, 2010
      I can't speak for the original poster, but there are excellent reasons for keeping a document in the same format - especially when (as in the original poster's description) the document includes footnotes and other features. When you export from WP to another format, you invariably lose or change formatting, and when you convert back to WordPerfect, you tend to get a document cluttered with trouble-causing codes that wouldn't be there otherwise.

      This may not matter much in a simple text file, but it matters a lot when converting complex documents. I've been trying to find a way around the problems of format-conversion for twenty years, and the only way around the problem is not to cause the problem, and keep the same format as much as possible.

      WPMac isn't remotely the same as WPWin, but the formats are close enough to allow very reliable round-tripping - something you can't get when you convert from WP to RTF or Word or anything else, and then back again.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

      > Why don't you just use another format? WordPerfect can save as a Word
      > Document or an RTF... If you are willing to use "a converter" - then why
      > not just save yourself the trouble and use a easier to use format?
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic