6375Re: [wpmac] Re:[OT] Long an Upstart, Apple Plays New Role: Goliath (NY Times)

  • Frank Mitchell
    Jun 26, 2010
      Hello Chad,

      Fair enough. I wasn't aware of any of that - I'm not into games anyway.

      Sounds very much like one of Microsoft's tactics.

      Thanks,
      Frank

      >Well, a lot, actually.
      >
      >On the iP_____'s specifically, by keeping Flash off the devices, they have
      >killed a *TON* of competition.
      >
      >Who would buy episodes of "The Office" from the iTunes store, if they could
      >fire up Hulu and watch them for free?
      >
      >Who would pay 99ยข for a game (1/2 or 1/3 of which goes to Apple, not the
      >developers) when the *exact same game* is free online in Flash?
      >
      >Who would get an iAd supported game (all the money goes to Apple) if the
      >exact same game is free online Flash?
      >
      >Or a very similar game is online for free in Flash.... One of the biggest
      >games for the iP___s has been Fieldrunners - Desktop Tower Defense has been
      >free online for years - but it is in Flash.
      >
      >How much money do you think Apple will make from the Farmville app?
      > Farmville is free and full-featured in Flash online.
      >
      >All these things that are free in Flash are for sale, or Apple iAd supported
      >in the App Store / iTunes. The App Store is a MULTI-MILLION (if not
      >BILLION) dollar business.
      >
      >Now, all these things still hold true on a Mac with a crashing Flash. If
      >Hulu crashes my MacBook - I might break down and buy that episode on iTunes.
      > If Pandora is stuttering, I might buy some mp3s from iTunes instead.
      >
      >They have a *LOT* to gain. Millions and millions of dollars.
      >
      >- Chad W Smith
      >
      >On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Frank Mitchell <fmitchel@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Hello Chad
      >>

      >> >IMHO - it's Apple's fault.
      >> >
      >> >snip
      >>

      >> >It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.
      >>
      >> So what do you think Apple might expect to gain from that?

      -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic