6374Re: [wpmac] Re:[OT] Long an Upstart, Apple Plays New Role: Goliath (NY Times)

  • Rick Albright
    Jun 25, 2010
      Oh, come on! This is conspiracy theory nonsense. (Let's put Steve Jobs on the grassy knoll!) And BTW, what does it have to do with WordPerfect? The last time I checked, that was the subject of this list.

      Rick Albright

      On Jun 25, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Chad Smith wrote:

      > Well, a lot, actually.
      >
      > On the iP_____'s specifically, by keeping Flash off the devices, they have
      > killed a *TON* of competition.
      >
      > Who would buy episodes of "The Office" from the iTunes store, if they could
      > fire up Hulu and watch them for free?
      >
      > Who would pay 99¢ for a game (1/2 or 1/3 of which goes to Apple, not the
      > developers) when the *exact same game* is free online in Flash?
      >
      > Who would get an iAd supported game (all the money goes to Apple) if the
      > exact same game is free online Flash?
      >
      > Or a very similar game is online for free in Flash.... One of the biggest
      > games for the iP___s has been Fieldrunners - Desktop Tower Defense has been
      > free online for years - but it is in Flash.
      >
      > How much money do you think Apple will make from the Farmville app?
      > Farmville is free and full-featured in Flash online.
      >
      > All these things that are free in Flash are for sale, or Apple iAd supported
      > in the App Store / iTunes. The App Store is a MULTI-MILLION (if not
      > BILLION) dollar business.
      >
      > Now, all these things still hold true on a Mac with a crashing Flash. If
      > Hulu crashes my MacBook - I might break down and buy that episode on iTunes.
      > If Pandora is stuttering, I might buy some mp3s from iTunes instead.
      >
      > They have a *LOT* to gain. Millions and millions of dollars.
      >
      > - Chad W Smith
      >
      > On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Frank Mitchell <fmitchel@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Hello Chad
      >>

      >>> IMHO - it's Apple's fault.
      >>>
      >>> snip
      >>

      >>> It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.
      >>
      >> So what do you think Apple might expect to gain from that?
      >>
      >> Saw on TV today that one of our illustrious senators is suggesting that
      >> the oil spill might have been deliberately caused by Obama.
      >>
      >> -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona

      “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
      --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
      from Pink Floyd, The Wall
      Rick Albright
      logres@...
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic