6371Re: [wpmac] Re:[OT] Long an Upstart, Apple Plays New Role: Goliath (NY Times)

  • Aron S. Spencer
    Jun 24, 2010
      It crashes other OSes, too, just not as often. Adobe just hasn't put the effort into the Mac version. It's a freaking plugin, so it shouldn't have the massive memory leak problems it's had on Mac. Just bad programming.

      On Jun 24, 2010, at 8:02 PM, Chad Smith wrote:

      > Flash doesn't crash other OSes - just Mac.
      >
      > To me, I have to ask - is that a bug with Flash, or with Mac. IMHO - it's
      > Apple's fault.
      >
      > I actually didn't have a problem with Flash until the recent slew of updates
      > that came out from Apple (IE - *after* the war of words between Jobs and
      > Adobe).
      >
      > It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.
      >
      > Flash is an awesome tool. It can be overdone, of course. Just like
      > anything. But when used well, it provides user experiences that no other
      > tool can.
      >
      > - Chad W Smith
      > "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush - February
      > 10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya
      >
      > On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. <
      > pjones1@...> wrote:
      >

      > > I find any crash I have with browsers are "all" caused by Flash.
      > >
      > > I went to two sites fellow was bragging because it was 100% Flash. And
      > > each I had the first system Crash I've had on a Mac in 10 years or more.
      > > It not only Crashed the browser it crashed the OS. Just to make sure it
      > > wasn't a Fluke, I went to both again and repeated the same behavior.
      > >
      > > I went back and reported the finding to the fellow and he got quiet in a
      > > hurry.
      > >

      > > David Patterson wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Not to defend any sort of monopolistic behavior, but I wish more
      > > > developers would reject Flash. It wastes bandwidth, system resources,
      > > > and my time watching junk when all I need is information.
      > > > A large part of my decision to use WP instead of Word is based on the
      > > > same feelings about dancing monitors and other garbage I don't need or
      > > > want to do my work.
      > > >

      > > --
      > > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
      > > 616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
      > > Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
      > > http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...<pjones1%40kimbanet.com>

      Aron S. Spencer
      Union, NJ 07083