6370Re: [wpmac] Re:[OT] Long an Upstart, Apple Plays New Role: Goliath (NY Times)

  • Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
    Jun 24, 2010
      Flash has always caused problems on the Mac even back when it was a tool
      fro Macromedia.

      I don't see Jobs or the Mac system engineers deliberately causing a
      problem for years, that's just dumb logic. Jobs has been relatively
      patient. he ben waiting 10 years or more for MacrMedia then adobe to fix
      the problem.

      What time it doesn't crash it stops and stutters like a scratched CD or
      DVD. having skips and stutters for one thing the Cache file is just not
      large enough.

      I even use a smattering of flash on my website but its a very small file
      with no music or sound effects. When they get large and with sound then
      thing get hairy.

      Chad Smith wrote:

      > Flash doesn't crash other OSes - just Mac.
      >
      > To me, I have to ask - is that a bug with Flash, or with Mac. IMHO - it's
      > Apple's fault.
      >
      > I actually didn't have a problem with Flash until the recent slew of updates
      > that came out from Apple (IE - *after* the war of words between Jobs and
      > Adobe).
      >
      > It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple is purposefully sabotaging Flash.
      >
      > Flash is an awesome tool. It can be overdone, of course. Just like
      > anything. But when used well, it provides user experiences that no other
      > tool can.
      >
      > - Chad W Smith
      > "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush - February
      > 10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya
      >
      > On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. <
      > pjones1@... <mailto:pjones1%40kimbanet.com>> wrote:
      >

      > > I find any crash I have with browsers are "all" caused by Flash.
      > >
      > > I went to two sites fellow was bragging because it was 100% Flash. And
      > > each I had the first system Crash I've had on a Mac in 10 years or more.
      > > It not only Crashed the browser it crashed the OS. Just to make sure it
      > > wasn't a Fluke, I went to both again and repeated the same behavior.
      > >
      > > I went back and reported the finding to the fellow and he got quiet in a
      > > hurry.
      > >

      > > David Patterson wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Not to defend any sort of monopolistic behavior, but I wish more
      > > > developers would reject Flash. It wastes bandwidth, system resources,
      > > > and my time watching junk when all I need is information.
      > > > A large part of my decision to use WP instead of Word is based on the
      > > > same feelings about dancing monitors and other garbage I don't need or
      > > > want to do my work.
      > > >

      > > --
      > > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
      > > 616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
      > > Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
      > > http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...
      > <mailto:pjones1%40kimbanet.com><pjones1%40kimbanet.com>

      Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
      616 Liberty Street Martinsville, Va 24112-1809
      Phone: 276-632-5045 Cell: 276-732-7781 Fax: 276-632-0868
      http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic