6300Re: Using WordPerfect X4 on Intel Mac

    Mar 18, 2010
      1. If you create a file with only simple formatting in WP 3.5 Enhanced, WPWin X4 will be able to open it. If I create a file with complex formatting in WP 3.5 Enhanced, WPWin X4 either locks up when trying to open it, or displays an "Unknown file format" message. There's no obvious way to predict which kind of file WPWin X4 will be able to open.

      2. If all your WPMac 3.5e are files that WPWin X4 can open, try saving them with a .WPD file extension or rename them to have a .WPD extension if they already exist. WPD is the Windows file type that WPWin X4 opens by default Read the Parallels help file for information on opening specific Windows file types in applications in Parallels.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ddschmalz" <ddschmalz@...> wrote:

      > I finally received my WordPerfect for Windows X4 and installed it last night on my Intel MacBook, which has Windows 7 in a Bootcamp partition. Then I created a file on the PPC computer using WP 3.5 Enhanced and copied it to the MacBook while running Windows. Although the file showed up in Windows with a generic icon, WordPerfect opened it just fine. If I double-click the file's icon, it shows no program associated with the file type and presents me with a list of programs to use to open it, and if I choose WordPerfect, it opens without a problem that way also. When I look at the properties of the Mac 3.5e file after copying it to Windows, Windows 7 says "File type: File."
      >
      > So, I don't have the solution that I had hoped to have, but it is not as bad as not being able to open 3.5e files at all. I don't have Parallels installed on this computer yet, but If I install Parallels and copy my 3.5e files to the MacBook's OS X volume instead of the Bootcamp Windows volume, is there anything I could do so that the files would have a WordPerfect icon and double-clicking would cause OS X to start WordPerfect for Windows X4 and open the file? I'm hoping that some of the work that was done to accomplish this using Sheepshaver would also be applicable to starting the WP Windows application.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
      >
      > David

      > > WordPerfect for Windows works very well in Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion, and can even be set to run in an OS X window in those program's "unity" or "seamless" mode or whatever they call them.
      > >
      > > However, if you have files that were saved by WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5 Enhanced in the native format of WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5 Enhanced, then you won't be able to open those files in WordPerfect for Windows. The ONLY programs that can open those files are WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5 Enhanced, or OpenOffice.org and programs based on OpenOffice.org.
      > >
      > > This problem does NOT occur if your WordPerfect for the Mac files were saved in the original WPMac 3.x format (NOT 3.5 Enhanced) or in a WordPerfect for DOS or Windows format. But it does occur if your WP files were created or saved in WPMac 3.5 Enhanced.
      > >
      > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ddschmalz" <ddschmalz@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I don't want to diminish the great work done with Sheepshaver recently, but for those who already have Parallels or Fusion, I just happened to notice that WordPerfect Office X4 Standard edition is being sold on eBay for under $20. The description says it can open 60 file formats, including pdf and Word 2007 documents. Since my main desktop Mac is a PPC with Classic mode and my laptop is a MacBook where I already have Windows 7 under Boot Camp, I think I will probably get Parallels and run WordPerfect X4 that way, as the ability to open pdf and Word 2007 documents is something I need.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic