6274Re: SheepShaver - office server

    Mar 2, 2010
      If you create a symbolic link to a folder on your server, and place the link in the directory on your local disk that SheepShaver sees as your "Unix" folder (typically your Documents or Home folder), then, yes, you can create files in WP/SheepShaver that you store on - and open from - the folder on the server. You access that folder through the symbolic link on your desktop, and it works. See previous messages here for full explanation of symbolic links.

      What does not work is double-clicking on the WP file in OS X (even in the symbolic link) and having it open automatically in SheepShaver using John's new method or my adaptation of it. But you can access the file through SheepShaver itself and open it in WP.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "bcqc2003" <barney.christianson@...> wrote:

      > Has anybody tried the current SheepShaver-WP set up in an office/server? We have been a Mac + WP office since 1992. All documents are stored in a central server (now an Xserve). We do nothing on our desktops after we connect to the Xserve. It has to be that way - if the documents were saved to the desktop, inevitably we would forget to move them to the proper folder in the server - they would be lost and the server folders would be incomplete. We have 12 machines on their last 10.4 legs and I don't think we can hold on much longer. I really, really don't want to give up WP for all the reasons you know so well.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Barney

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic