6118Re: [wpmac] Re: Free Word?

  • Randy B. Singer
    Dec 2, 2009
      On Dec 2, 2009, at 6:23 AM, tbgibson wrote:

      > Does anyone use Crossover? What do you think?

      I tried it, and was surprised and pleased that it worked at all, but
      that quickly turned into disappointment when I found that not a
      single application that I tried was 100% functional.

      The main reason that I tried Crossover was that I needed to access a
      Web site that required Internet Explorer to interact with. IE is one
      of the very few applications rated as being fully functional in
      Crossover. However, while Crossover allowed me to access the Web
      site in question (where no Macintosh browser had), it still didn't
      allow me to interact with the site in a fully functional way. IE
      running under Windows/Parallels worked perfectly.

      I haven't tried WordPerfect/Win under Crossover. It is another one
      of those few programs that are supposed to be fully functional under
      Crossover. Since there is a free downloadable demo of WP/Win, and a
      free demo of Crossover, you could try the two out together at no
      cost. I'd advise a thorough test of the combination before deciding
      to purchase anything. For instance, be sure that you can print.

      Crossover comes up all the time on other Mac discussion lists that I
      am on. I can't recall anyone who has tried Crossover who has found
      it to be what they were hoping for.

      You might want to check out Sun's VirtualBox, which is free, as an
      alternative:
      http://www.virtualbox.org/
      However, VirtualBox still requires that you purchase a copy of Windows.

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html