6103Re: [wpmac] Corel Bought Out

  • Tom Wyrick
    Nov 30, 2009
      In my opinion, the relative "friendliness" of MS Word is what really made it take off and kill off WordPerfect, over time. By the same token, it's *also* what motivates some people to swear by WordPerfect to this day. For example, I remember doing on-site computer service for a couple of law firms that absolutely HAD to have WordPerfect, because the legal assistants all relied on complex macros designed by former employees of the firms. Many of their often typed form-letters, they could generate with practically a single Function key combo - including such things as printing the address on the envelope automatically, as long as it was loaded in the printer behind the piece of paper for the letter itself, all in one shot.

      Theoretically, the same or similar functionality could probably be crafted into a Word template and macros ... but who wants to change products (spending money on another software license in the process), and THEN have to manually re-code and test all of that?

      But those users amount to a "niche" compared to all the students, year after year, who learn how to use a word processor for the first time (and almost always learn MS Word), plus all the business users who don't do enough "fancy stuff" to really care which word processor they use, as long as it lets them type and print. And again, they usually wind up with MS Word because it's offered, pre-loaded, as an option on so many new PCs.

      You have to remember too, people are typically buying an "office suite", not just a word processor. Office looks even more attractive when that's the case, because MS Excel is the de-facto best choice of a spreadsheet package on the market for Windows. Corel did try to sell "Wordperfect Office", but with no Excel spreadsheet - they just weren't enough of a contender.