      From: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...>
      Subject: Re: [wpmac] Corel Bought Out
      To: wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, November 30, 2009, 4:15 PM

      On Nov 30, 2009, at 5:54 PM, em315 wrote:

      > I've been following the word-processing market closely since 1985,

      > and this is the first time I've ever heard of that episode, so I'd

      > be very interested to learn any more details.

      > There was certainly an episode in the '80s when Microsoft was giving

      > away copies of Excel (not Word) but it's news to me that any

      > government got upset. Perhaps you're thinking of the bundling of

      > Internet Explorer with Windows?

      The only time I ever heard of it was when someone I knew found a

      Microsoft Mouse, new in the box, in a junk bin at a computer store for

      $25, marked down from over $100. Included with it was version 1.0 of

      Word for the PC. It just so happened that it was at the time where

      Microsoft had just released a new version of Word (Word for Windows

      4?) and anyone who had bought an older version in the last 30 days

      could get the latest one for free. They sent in the

      paperwork and got it.

      Note that when they came out, WordPerfect for Windows 5.1 and later

      5.2, were so badly done that no one would in their right mind use them.

      geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM

      Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@ gmail.com