6094Re: [wpmac] Corel Bought Out

  • Doug Auwarter
    Nov 30, 2009
      Here's an entry from Wikipedia (not that it's an uncompromised
      authority):

      While WordPerfect retained a majority of the retail shelf sales of
      word processors, Microsoft gained market share by including Word for
      Windows in its Windows product on new PCs. Microsoft gave discounts
      for Windows to OEMs who included Word on their PCs. When new PC
      buyers found Word installed on their new PC, Word began to dominate
      market share of desktop word processing. Among the remaining avid
      users of WordPerfect are many law firms and academics who favor the
      WordPerfect features such as macros and reveal codes. Corel now
      caters to these markets, with, for example, a major sale to the
      United States Department of Justice in 2005 [2]. In November 2004,
      Novell filed an antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft for alleged anti-
      competitive behavior (viz, tying Word to sales of Windows) that
      Novell claims led to loss of WordPerfect market share [3].

      I do know that at that time, some people received coupons to get a
      free copy, and that it was also included for free with an issue of PC
      magazine. This was at the same time that Microsoft was attempting to
      buy software developers that it wanted and if attempts were stalling,
      they'd threaten to put out a similar product and sell it for next to
      nothing or give it away for free.

      I'm not Microsoft bashing; I use their products myself. But there
      were certainly some dark days in the company's past that I'm sure
      they regret.

      Best,
      Doug