6026Re: [wpmac] Running WordPerfect on Mac

  • Chad Smith
    Oct 4, 2009
      No FUD here, Smokey. All 100% Facts. Name one fact that I stated that is
      untrue.

      I said that NeoOffice is outdated - that's a fact. You admitted it. As
      much as a full year behind OpenOffice.org.

      I said NeoOffice stands on the back of the OpenOffice.org community - that's
      a fact. They don't write the vast majority of the code for NeoOffice, Sun
      and the community do - NeoOffice just adds their little snippets and
      packages it as if it were some new product, which it is not.

      I said NeoOffice makes money off of the work of OpenOffice.org volunteers.
      Every cent they get from their donations and their "Early access program" -
      (which is laughable, since, as I said, they are offering early access to
      year old code) - is money they are making because of the hard work of
      everyone at OpenOffice.org

      I said NeoOffice is not needed. That's an opinion. That's neither Fear,
      Uncertainity, nor Doubt. You say competition is good. That is generally
      true. But when the competition is stealing the code and repackaging it and
      selling it and not contributing a thing back to the community they are
      taking the code from - it's not good.... For anyone.

      That list you sent me to - that's full of FUD. They claim the
      OpenOffice.org code is somehow less tried-and-true than the NeoOfficce code,
      by suggesting that NeoOffice has been around since 2003 and OpenOffice.org
      only since 2008. That's insane. OpenOffice.org was first released in
      2001. And, by the project's very nature, OOo would have HAD TO have been
      around before NeoOffice could have existed. Since, again, all they do is
      take OOo's code and slap some branding on it.

      That list claims that Neo and OOo have the same OOo codebase version number,
      which we know isn't true.

      Most of the "Features" they list are comestic - they don't like OOo's
      icons. How is that a feature?

      And any app in OS X can make a PDF. They claim OOo can't. That's a
      straight up lie.

      - Chad Smith
      http://www.chadwsmith.com/