6009Re: [wpmac] Running WordPerfect on Mac

  • geoffrey mendelson
    Oct 4, 2009
      On Oct 4, 2009, at 6:45 AM, singet@... wrote:

      > Got it...when I got my previous laptop, the hard drive of which just
      > up and
      > died suddenly, at first there were too many things I could not run
      > until I
      > took it back to the Apple Store and they said, "Oh all you need is
      > 'classic'
      > and you can run all that stuff. My oldest laptop is also, 'classic,'
      > and
      > there aer things on it that I would like to be able to transfer as
      > well. I'm
      > wondering if there is any way short of paying Apple over $500 to get
      > some
      > unsaved data off my 'dead' laptop. I've been told there are various
      > ways to do
      > this without shipping a computer to Apple. It's not that I expect
      > everything
      > for free, it's just that I think some of this stuff is outrageous.

      Since you did not say what laptop you have and what is wrong with it,
      it's impossible to guess.

      If the drive itself is dead, no matter what you do, you are going to
      have to take it to a data recovey company and pay big bucks for them
      to rescue the data off of the drive.

      If the drive is ok and so is the laptop, you may be able to boot the
      laptop from a CD and run a data recovery program, starting with disk
      first aid (free from Apple) to one of the commerical programs. Try
      removing the battery and booting without it. If that does not work let
      it sit for 48 hours charging, with no battery in it. Some of the G3
      laptops had internal batteries and they won't boot without them being
      charged. (Wallstreet, PDQ, Lombard, Pismo and some of the iBooks,
      maybe others).

      If the latop itself is dead, but the drive is ok, you can remove the
      drive from the laptop and put it in an external disk enclosure. Then
      you can plug the enclosure into your computer and read the data. The
      exact type of enclosure depends upon which laptop you have (and the
      drive in it) and what computer you want to access it on.

      How much effort involved depends upon the laptop, some simply can be
      opened via the keyboard, and a few screws removed to access the hard
      drive. Others have many screws and may never go back together again
      without being done by a highly skilled technican. It's hard to guess,
      some early laptops were simple, then Apple went to more difficult
      ones, then simple ones, and more difficult ones again.

      Geoff.
      --
      geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
      Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@...