5974Re: File "X" is currently open...

  • jrethorst
    Sep 11, 2009
      I've had that happen, but not often enough to consider it anything but
      a gremlin that sometimes infects the computer (never the program
      itself, to be sure . . . :)

      Mac programs are written in one of two ways. In the first, when you
      open a file it stays open internally until you close it, and meanwhile
      writes changes to the file as you make them. In the second, when you
      open a file it opens and displays its contents on screen, but then
      immediately closes internally. When you save a change, the program
      opens the file, writes the change and then closes the file again.

      I think the advantage to the first way is speed of operation; the
      advantage to the second is that in the event of a crash, the file,
      being closed, is less susceptible to corruption.

      A more technically literate member of the group may be able to tell
      us which design WP uses, and have a much better explanation than
      mine as to the advantages of each.

      If WP uses the second design, and the file happens to be still open
      when you Save As, maybe still writing the last change to a large file,
      the message you're getting is just that it can't open the file at that
      moment. I think this would apply to a Save As as well as a Save.

      John R.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

      > On a fairly regular basis, if I want to save a work in progress (X, a
      > WP 3.5ep word-processing file) and to continue working on it, I will
      > issue a "Save As" command. By default, WP specifies the existing
      > name of the file (X), and its current location, in the resulting
      > dialogue box.
      >
      > If I then click on the Save button, sometimes -- but not always -- a
      > WP dialogue box will appear and will tell me: "File "X" is currently
      > open.... cannot proceed with Save [ OK ]."
      >
      > My only choice at that point is to click on the [ OK ] button. If I
      > then immediately repeat the procedure, the modified file is saved
      > without incident.
      >
      > Other times, the Save As command executes without incident on the
      > first attempt.
      >
      > Why does the process sometimes proceed without incident, but at other
      > times WP balks on the first attempt?
      >
      > If I issue a Save command instead of a Save As command, the file
      > appears to be updated and to be saved without incident.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
      > --
      >
      > J.J. McVeigh

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic